• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Discussion and News [Creation Kit released]

Probably already been posted, but these two player homes are nice, Dragon Falls Manor and Seabreeze Estate

This mod is definitely rough around the edges, but its been something I've wanted in the game for a while since I love trotting around Skyrim on my horse but hate having any follower stuck running after you: Horses for Followers.

Only came out a couple days ago, but its pretty cool.
Yeah, I've been using it too. It's nice not having to wait for your follower to catch up.

Teleporter

guys is there any patch/fix/mod that fixes the bug when trying to dual weld the same weapons, i mean anytime i have the same weapon the fav menu merges them and you can asign shortcuts for both weapons again. you have to go to the weapons menu and left/right click them get back to the game. its really annoying... any dual assasins have a solution for this? also is the dual block mod good enough so u sacrifice the dual power attack?

Vasili2K38

Ok, survival edition mods. After experimenting with the various mods for survival/hardcore gameplay, I'll stick with Imp's More Complex Needs, and Frostfall. The hunger one is pretty good, and it has a complex mode in which you have to eat with certain balance and its very fun if you like that kind of micromanagement (anyway it has a basic mode which its similar to FO:NV Hardcore mode). And certainly its the most polished, UI friendly and very customizable. Frostfall simulates the effect of cold in your body, and its also pretty good (also includes its own camping gear, very basic but simple, I complement it with a few items of Portable Campsite, mainly a small cooking pot :D). Also I found very annoying how salt it's needed almost for all recipes, and its very scarce in the game, so to be able to eat in the wilderness I use No Salt For Meat Recipes, obvious use.

Ok, survival edition mods. After experimenting with the various mods for survival/hardcore gameplay, I'll stick with Imp's More Complex Needs, and Frostfall.
I was expecting for this. He talks about adjusting time scale, what value do you use? Also im planing on doing a manual installation don't want to bother with Steam workshop or SkyRim MM. Question: If i don't save the game will i need to do that weird process he talks about to remove the mod?

Is there a way to install "carriages drive you to places" without workshop?

Anyway those 2 are the more interesting mod so far. So to my next play through i'll just need more lethal traps and a first person body awareness mod that works fine.

zkylon

zkylewd
I was expecting for this. He talks about adjusting time scale, what value do you use? Also im planing on doing a manual installation don't want to bother with Steam workshop or SkyRim MM. Question: If i don't save the game will i need to do that weird process he talks about to remove the mod?

Is there a way to install "carriages drive you to places" without workshop?

Anyway those 2 are the more interesting mod so far. So to my next play through i'll just need more lethal traps and a first person body awareness mod that works fine.
Why would you want to install mods manually when you've got that many good options available? Both NMN and SW are very easy to use, update your mods for you and can do clean uninstalls. Never tried Wrye Bash myself but I hear it's also more than competent.

Not using any of these is shooting yourself in the foot.

Vasili2K38

I was expecting for this. He talks about adjusting time scale, what value do you use. Also im planing on doing a manual installation don't want to bother with Steam moder or nom. Question: If i don't save the game will i need to do that weird process to remove the mod?

Is there a way to install carriages drive you to places without
workshop?

About adjusting the timescale, IMO the game is most than playable at the default timescale of 20, after trying some exaggerated hunger mods this is kind of realistic, and each 48 minutes of gameplay (16 hours of game time at that timescale) and the usual 8 hours of sleep, you'll need around 5 or 6 decent meals (or less, I'm being a little extreme) and 4 bottles of water or wine. And with all the shit you encounter everywhere (and if you hunt animals) you shouldn't have problems, and if you're in a city you have the tavern in order to get easy supplies. So as I said for me the mod is perfectly playable in the default timescale. Anyway the mod creator recommends adjusting the timescale between 5 and 10, and the mod includes its own dynamic timescale adjuster, so you have plenty of options.

About the uninstall thing, from my experience with this mods the most important thing is that you must have your character with normal status (no positive and negative buffs) before you move or erase the mod files, and resave in order to clear all the scripts. If you remove the mod without having your character in normal state, you could get permanent buffs/debuffs in your save. Because of that almost all this mods have a reset option in order to uninstall or update without problems.

And about the real carriage mod, it seems that its only in the workshop for now..

Why would you want to install mods manually when you've got that many good options available? Both NMN and SW are very easy to use, update your mods for you and can do clean uninstalls. Never tried Wrye Bash myself but I hear it's also more than competent.

Not using any of these is shooting yourself in the foot.
Hey Zyklon, did you manage to buy Heist. Played it for a bit and didn't like it much. Be aware in case you haven't. :)

Well, how can i put it... This Bethesda game, in contrast to previous releases, has most of the features i want by default. Haven't had the need, for example to employ visual mods, game looks stunning with some minor.ini tweaks.

Like i said my most wanted list for the next play through amounts to 3 or 4 mods:
-Deadlier traps.
-Full Body awareness mod.
-A New Vegas hardcore mode equivalent.

This stuff it's easy to manage, so no need to clutter the PC with more stuff. That's my view o things at this point, subject to change of course as more interesting mods arrive.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hey Zyklon, did you manage to buy Heist. Played it for a bit and didn't like it much. Be aware in case you haven't. :)

Well, how can i put it... This Bethesda game, in contrast to previous releases, has most of the features i want by default. Haven't had the need, for example to employ visual mods, game looks stunning with some minor.ini tweaks.

Like i said my most wanted list for the next play through amounts to 3 or 4 mods:
-Deadlier traps.
-Full Body awareness mod.
-A New Vegas hardcore mode equivalent.

This stuff it's easy to manage, so no need to clutter the PC with more stuff. That's my view o things at this point, subject to change of course as more interesting mods arrive.
Forgot about Payday lol. Maybe next sale?

I suggest you at least use the Workshop. It's the least troublesome of the bunch, it doesn't require installation of any kind (really, it's just browsing the Workshop site and clicking subscribe in whichever mod you want) and most of the Nexus stuff is also available there.

Riggs

Banned
guys is there any patch/fix/mod that fixes the bug when trying to dual weld the same weapons, i mean anytime i have the same weapon the fav menu merges them and you can asign shortcuts for both weapons again. you have to go to the weapons menu and left/right click them get back to the game. its really annoying... any dual assasins have a solution for this? also is the dual block mod good enough so u sacrifice the dual power attack?

Yes skyrim script dragon will allow a certain mod to do this, unfortunately the new update has made script dragon fucking worthless. I failed to make back up of TESV.exe so only myself to blame.

Once script dragon is updated go here, http://alexander.sannybuilder.com/?category=script_dragon_plugins

Grab script dragon and the weapon swap plugin, install is a breeze.

Btw does anyone have a back up of TESV.exe 1.4.21??? Would be so nice to play in offline mode, my dual wield hot key mod is worthless now.

Whats with ENB mods and performance in Skyrim?

I havnt been using them but today I went and tested 2 being that jasim one and Cinematic Lighting ENB and they just make my frame rate go crap.

I get about 30-45fps and it constantly fluxuates.

And its not like my PC is shit

GTX590
2600k @ 4.5ghz
16GB Ram
Win7

Ledsen

I havnt been using them but today I went and tested 2 being that jasim one and Cinematic Lighting ENB and they just make my frame rate go crap.

GTX590
2600k @ 4.5ghz
16GB Ram
Win7

ENB always makes your performance go to shit. Not worth using imo.

GTX590
2600k @ 4.5ghz
16GB Ram
Win7
Try removing indirect lighting from en enb.ini it's the most fps consuming feature and not that noticeable IMO.

About adjusting the timescale, IMO the game is most than playable at the default timescale of 20, after trying some exaggerated hunger mods this is kind of realistic, and each 48 minutes of gameplay (16 hours of game time at that timescale) and the usual 8 hours of sleep, you'll need around 5 or 6 decent meals (or less, I'm being a little extreme) and 4 bottles of water or wine. And with all the shit you encounter everywhere (and if you hunt animals) you shouldn't have problems, and if you're in a city you have the tavern in order to get easy supplies. So as I said for me the mod is perfectly playable in the default timescale. Anyway the mod creator recommends adjusting the timescale between 5 and 10, and the mod includes its own dynamic timescale adjuster, so you have plenty of options.

This is kind of what I don't get about survival mods. In FO:NV the hardcore mode kind of made sense because you were in an area where survival was supposed to really be a concern. In Skyrim you can just go to the bar and stock up on enough food to last you a week.

All it's doing is adding a needless grocery getting excercise. If spoiling were an issue or you could only carry so much it might make sense but even then there will always be plenty of food in dungeons for you to steal.

Cold effects could be interesting, though.

New ENB version is up: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=5253

36a75854ce5b54ff98ecd65571990ba5d7712655.jpg

4bc6c64d723ec52f22c27f884a16e99b3d2c03e5.jpg

b7229e796c117b7205be0d67f5996b6b96e94ef0.jpg

XtremeRampage

Neo Member
Multiple Followers

This should enable recruitment of up to 10 followers who can each be ordered around/used as packmules/dismissed/rehired like in the vanilla game. They should also work properly with Blades recruitment and marriage, but these need further testing. Animal companions are untouched, so you still can only have one dog following you around at a time. Forced followers during the Companions quests will also stop booting out your current followers.

multiplefollowerstest01.jpg

multiplefollowerstest02.jpg

multiplefollowerstest03.jpg

is there something resembling Oscuro's mod on the horizon?
I want to know this as well.
Wars in Skyrim?

About the uninstall thing, from my experience with this mods the most important thing is that you must have your character with normal status (no positive and negative buffs) before you move or erase the mod files, and resave in order to clear all the scripts. If you remove the mod without having your character in normal state, you could get permanent buffs/debuffs in your save. Because of that almost all this mods have a reset option in order to uninstall or update without problems.

And about the real carriage mod, it seems that its only in the workshop for now..
My apologies vasilisk for adressing your post so late but i didn't see it o_0! did you made an edit or something. Anyway thanks for replying.

How does the time scale work? Higher values equal quicker passage of time? Also if enable the mod but don't save at the game, can i easily removed withouth doing that neutral buff stuff? Just want to try it for some minutes to see if i like it.
This is kind of what I don't get about survival mods. In FO:NV the hardcore mode kind of made sense because you were in an area where survival was supposed to really be a concern. In Skyrim you can just go to the bar and stock up on enough food to last you a week.

Cold effects could be interesting, though.
On the other hand Dave look at it in this way: You have meat, fruits, vegetables, drinks and the option to sleep in this game world, yet such features remain withouth function. At least with this mod they serve a more significant purpose and amplify inmersion. Who knows maybe later with a balanced mod that makes food and drinks less common the benefits of this mod could be more aparent.

Skyrim ENB is a weird beast, from time to time someone post some stuning screen shots. Then you see the mod runing and it looks like a giant shit handling a perfomance crushing hammer.

Whenever I launch Skyrim through the launcher it insists on downloading all of the mods I've gotten from the workshop.

The only thing I've done outside of this is run BOSS to sort the load order for me. :-/

They really need to fix that.

spirity

How does the time scale work? Higher values equal quicker passage of time? Also if enable the mod but don't save at the game, can i easily removed withouth doing that neutral buff stuff? Just want to try it for some minutes to see if i like it.

Not sure on the second part of your question but yeah, higher values = time passes quicker. Mine is set to 5.. or maybe 10.. not sure. Lower than 5 can cause problems apparently.

Darkdeus

GTX590
2600k @ 4.5ghz
16GB Ram
Win7

Try running super13s ENB profile. It looks good and actually runs at about 30 fps on my e8400 and gtx470.

zkylon

zkylewd
On the other hand Dave look at it in this way: You have meat, fruits, vegetables, drinks and the option to sleep in this game world, yet such features remain withouth function. At least with this mod they serve a more significant purpose and amplify inmersion. Who knows maybe later with a balanced mod that makes food and drinks less common the benefits of this mod could be more aparent.
Exactly. It was surprising when I saw the amount of food and drink variety and no hardcore mode whatsoever. That mod needs to happen ASAP.

S0N0S

Retracted post from the Bethblog on next Skyrim beta patch:

Today on Steam we've released a new beta update that gives you a first
look at what's we'll be bringing to PS3, 360, and PC in the
forthcoming 1.5 update.

In addition to a number of new bug fixes, we're now using title
updates as an opportunity to add new features to the game. Included
in this update, players will be able to enjoy all-new kill cameras,
including ones specific to ranged combat and magic.

Sound familar? That's probably because they had a cameo in the Game
Jam video [1] shown during Todd Howard's DICE keynoteTodd Howard
presented at DICE.

hauton

So how do I know if a mod is designed to work with Nexus Mod Manager or not?

I think I've encountered certain mods that you can download and manage with NMM, but not necessarily use the Install/Uninstall features properly with. I.e., you actually have to go in and replace folders/files manually in the zip rather than letting NMM handle it.

Is that actually the case or am I delusional?

zkylon

zkylewd
So how do I know if a mod is designed to work with Nexus Mod Manager or not?

I think I've encountered certain mods that you can download and manage with NMM, but not necessarily use the Install/Uninstall features properly with. I.e., you actually have to go in and replace folders/files manually in the zip rather than letting NMM handle it.

Is that actually the case or am I delusional?
I think that if Install/Uninstall's not working that means the path's broken or something. I fixed it once by:
1) extracting the files on my desktop
2) creating a folder called Data and putting the files there as they would look when unextracted by NMM (the folders inside Data should be called Textures, Mesh, etc...)
3) raring the Data folder
4) having NMM have a go at that .rar

I don't know if that's really a valid fix but it did work for me once.

Enco

This thread has really died.

The interesting thing is that it didn't happen gradually. All of a sudden everyone stopped posting haha

S0N0S

The interesting thing is that it didn't happen gradually. All of a sudden everyone stopped posting haha

Haha, yea, the bottom really fell out here, didn't it? I think I just got overwhelmed by all the content being released by modders, that and the game changing updates. It's just too much too fast. I'll definitely revisit it when things calm down, though.

Enco

Haha, yea, the bottom really fell out here, didn't it? I think I just got overwhelmed by all the content being released by modders, that and the game changing updates. It's just too much too fast. I'll definitely revisit it when things calm down, though.
Yea thousands of mods in a few days is a bit much.

Especially since most of them are garbage. I haven't seen any great mods come out recently either.

Bruiserk

Yea thousands of mods in a few days is a bit much.

Especially since most of them are garbage. I haven't seen any great mods come out recently either.

It's also depressing that the workshop community didn't start until most people had a signification amount of gameplay time already logged. Although I am only sitting at around 50 hours, I'm getting to the point where I think I'm just going to rush through story mode and try and finish off the other guilds (if I even have the patience for that).

S0N0S

Once the bugs are cleaned up, more features are added, and DLC is released, interest will come back and the scale of mods will grow. I'm sure there are also plans to monetize mods in the future, as well...at least once Skyrim becomes a more stable platform.

TF2 has shown social development is a popular thing, and a very profitable one at that. It would be silly to think Valve wouldn't want to grow that money pool and that Bethesda wouldn't want a piece. Just my 2 cents.

mileS

Hope someone can help me out here. Just trying SuperI3's ENB mod for the first time. Umm yeaaa it looks freakin amazing, going back through all my old saves to see what the areas look like. Im in love... but out in the snowy mountains. I can't see detail or anything, its like pure white everywhere. It's wayyyy too bright to make out any detail at all during the daytime in the snow. Is there anyway to fix this at all? I really don't want to get rid of this.

edit actually the more I look at it the more I don't like it. I wonder if theres a way I can just use the awesome looking Depth of Field and not use any of the rest. Off to search I guess. Hmmm can't find much. If I could get just the bokeh dof to work and nothing else I'd be SET. Can anyone help me here?

UrbanRats

I've put down Skyrim for good.
I'm gonna wait a few more months, for the mod community to mature and then hopefully there'll be a good modding guide (à là Fallout 3/Oblivion).
It's annoying for me, to have an costantly changing experience, because a new cool mod comes out every 2 days, so i'll wait for the dust to settle down.

Jtrizzy

I spent so much time with it when the workshop came out...had to take a long break. I still have a lot of the main quests to play though, so I'll certainly come back and mod it up before I finish it.

Diman

I'm still playing. You must not over-saturate yourself by playing too much.
This way I'm still enjoying skyrim.

NBtoaster

I haven't really played since the Creation kit came out, made a few mods but haven't actually played or continued any characters.

I am a bit burned out. At 249 hours played. Will probably wait for DLC.

Vasili2K38

The truth is that now the modding community in Skyrim is intense, is better to take it slowly and don't oversaturate. In my case each pair of days I browse the recent mods in Workshop and sites like Nexus, I add to my favourites the ones that get my attention, and from that list I try a few ones. Anyway I've had just my first lesson, I was careless with backing up my saves and updating the game and mods, and I just found that my currently saves with +100 hours are all corrupted with a weird bug of scripting lag. So anyway its a good reason to start again but with a more fully modded game, and now each time I update a scripted or complex mod, or the game, I'll backup my saves before. And for know I'm using the Workshop only for a few minor mods or exclusive ones, because that thing of the automatic updates.. :/

Anyway about the mods, the last ones I've tried are Better Horses and Mounted Follower, they combine perfectly and are pretty good. And my last discovery but I think is kind of classic is Deadly Dragons, my god, what an awesome and impressive mod. Now the Dragons feel like powerful mythical beings, and it has tons of content

So I've beaten the main quest and much of the larger side quests, and was thinking about adding some fun stuff to the game.

I've been looking around Steam Workshop, and I see a lot of performance enhancing mods and tweaks, that aim to improve graphics and sounds, or make easier interfaces, or whatever. I was looking more for fun mods. Mods that might really add something to the experience. Any recommendations?

Vasili2K38

So I've beaten the main quest and much of the larger side quests, and was thinking about adding some fun stuff to the game.

I've been looking around Steam Workshop, and I see a lot of performance enhancing mods and tweaks, that aim to improve graphics and sounds, or make easier interfaces, or whatever. I was looking more for fun mods. Mods that might really add something to the experience. Any recommendations?

You have a ton of survival/camping mods, IMO they add a lot if immersion and they are a fully customizable experience. But more in terms of gameplay I recommend Deadly Combat and the very good Deadly Dragons. The latter adds a ton of content in terms of new dragons, loot, equipment sets, and the last version has an interesting event system which I have to try, but looks very fun.

I really really really hope they expand on the kill cameras for Fallout 4, give us a ton of unique weapon "crit" kills like 1/2 had, along side the dead ragdoll / gibbed ragdoll deaths.

So any opinion on that high-res texture pack from Bethesda?

looks good to me, most high res texture replacements are either ugly, or change too much of the original look. These are high enough res for me, and are official.

Top Bottom