• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Zelda II actually fun?

Snagret

I can see why people appreciate it for trying something different, but for me it does too bad of a job communicating what your goals in the game even are and how to go about accomplishing them. Plus, the combat (on top of being hard) just doesn't feel good, so unraveling the obtuseness of the game doesn't even feel that rewarding because I legitimately don't want to continue on to the next sections of the game.

It's an interesting follow-up to the first game, but there's a reason it didn't really inspire the direction the series would take.

Do not miss out on Minish Cap. It's not the best Zelda out there but it's a fun and charming little (big) adventure.

I've never played A Link Between Worlds, which looks fantastic, but Minish Cap is my favourite 2D Zelda. It's relatively easy and straightforward, but it's beautiful, so well animated and tightly crafted.

King Kye

Banned
The atmosphere of Zelda II is fun. It probably doesn't hold up too well today, especially if you're older. I think the context of the early 90's - Zelda 1, the cartoon, and how Nintendo tended to characterize the universe in merchandising etc. - really lent to the jarring juxtaposition that was Zelda II on release.

Link's Awakening remains my favourite Zelda game, but playing the original NES games a few years ago on my 3DS made me appreciate how great they are. Here are my thoughts on Zelda II from another thread:

I'm not ashamed to admit that I've avoided seriously investing time into this game in the past due to its infamously high level of difficulty and oft-cited reputation as the "black sheep" of the Zelda series. Apparently, even Shigeru Miyamoto thinks that more could have been done to improve the finished product.

This was simply a misstep by Nintendo, I thought. In years gone by, I would start a new game, become frustrated by the relentless enemy encounters and chalk it up to antiquated game design. While there is definitely an element of truth to that charge, there lies within The Adventure of Link an incredibly solid game with deeply satisfying combat mechanics.

I must say that replaying this game on the 3DS specifically is a revelation, due in part to the "pick up and play" nature of the system, which psychologically encourages short bursts of gameplay. More profoundly, Nintendo's decision to incorporate save state functionality into its 3DS NES classics series completely transforms the experience of playing The Adventure of Link today and alleviates a lot of the stress of making good progress within the huge game world. It remains up to the individual gamer to decide to what extent they will utilise the save system, of course, and I recommend using it only when absolutely necessary to preserve the essence of the original game.

Purists who cut their teeth on the game in the '80s may balk at this play style and say it is tantamount to cheating, but with the frustrations and penalties associated with frequent death partially out of the picture (such as not having to traverse the whole world again to start where you left off), modern audiences are free to savour the exquisite blend of satisfying platforming and pixel-perfect swordplay instead. Save states don't diminish the feelings of excitement and dread upon facing an enemy in combat in any appreciable way; nor the enjoyment found in timing your attacks and mastering the use of your shield to deflect blows and projectiles. Indeed, this game elaborates on the alternating offence/defence strategy pioneered in the first Zelda entry and truly makes the shield feel like an essential part of your arsenal- something sorely missing in subsequent titles.

Dungeons are no less labyrinthine than those of its predecessor, except this time they are viewed from the side, bringing to mind the cavernous world of 1986's Metroid as you ride elevators in search for well-guarded keys. Towns populated by NPCs also appear in an embryonic form in this game, and while they do not hold much of interest in terms of exploration, it is still fun to find the sword skill and magic spell hidden in each one.

Yes, magic plays an integral part in The Adventure of Link, and the feeling of becoming empowered by your abilities is one only rivaled by the first game. Deciding which spell to use and when to use it forms a key part of the aforementioned offensive/defensive strategy. This is all governed by a simple but effective levelling system, whereby the player must prioritise which attributes to improve and allocate experience points accordingly. These light RPG elements are very welcome and enhance rather than detract from the Zelda formula in this context.

In short, I implore the people who have casually dismissed The Adventure of Link to play it on the 3DS with save states, as they may find themselves as enthralled as I was by this underrated gem. To this day, it remains a unique synthesis of gaming styles and genres that defies conventional categorisation, and it deserves to be reassessed.

rockyt

I love Zelda 2 The Adventure of Link. I dont care bout the haters but for me its one of my top game. Play it again atleast once a year.

Sapiens

It plays very VERY well. It is really fun to play. Put yourself in 1987 and try to image how many other games played as well. As far as controls went, I think it was pretty ahead of its time in the way it "felt."

As a result, I feel it held up very well. You just REALLY need a guide to accompany you.

It is undeservedly shat upon by people.

Five minutes is way past my threshold of acceptability.

Well, if you're dying enough that five minutes to get back to where you were is an issue, I suspect you need to be focusing more on learning enemy patterns.

I agree that they are among the weaker Zelda games in recent history, but they still offer way more interesting puzzles than Zelda 2, and quite a few very unique ones as well.

Yes that's fair, zelda 2 is far more of a action/exploration game then it is a puzzle game. And I find it a far better example of its genre then ST or PH are to theirs.

cuilan

Zelda II is my favorite Zelda game, with Link's Awakening being a close 2nd.

I absolutely love the combat mechanics. I'm also a fan of the experience and over-world encounter systems. I think it all works really well together.

I only wish the game progression where a bit less linear.

III-V

You can always do a bit of grinding OP, I seem to recall that there are a few enemies that drop the large XP bags at a more frequent rate, and you can use the 'path' encounters to simply start one and then jump out if it is not the right enemy.

Do this for some easy and fast XP and levels. Also, you can do a jump stab attack on those balls that float thru the dungeons if you hit it in the right spot, you can just hold it until they die, they typically give good XP as well.

You can always do a bit of grinding OP, I seem to recall that there are a few enemies that drop the large XP bags at a more frequent rate, and you can use the 'path' encounters to simply start one and then jump out if it is not the right enemy.

Do this for some easy and fast XP and levels. Also, you can do a jump stab attack on those balls that float thru the dungeons if you hit it in the right spot, you can just hold it until they die, they typically give good XP as well.

Besides maybe for 20-30 mins at the beginning to get atk up to 3/4, grinding isn't really needed at all. Just need to time post-boss auto levels to atk each time by tactically skipping magic/life level ups.

In fact there's an argument to make that doing so makes the game *too* easy, as you're level 8 atk at or shortly after reaching the eastern continent.

thefro

It's not impossible but it's a legit tough NES game. Not on the top tier of hardest NES stuff but a tier below.

The difficulty spike for the Death Mountain area is huge, but it's a pretty fair game besides that (at least with some Nintendo Power). The Great Palace at the end is a huge maze.

It's worth trying out and beating the first dungeon, but if you're not having fun at that point you should probably shut the game off.

The downward sword strike is fun to use once you get that but it's not a total game-changer.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Well, if you're dying enough that five minutes to get back to where you were is an issue, I suspect you need to be focusing more on learning enemy patterns.
The game has a death counter, so dying and continuing is no option anyway!

Yes that's fair, zelda 2 is far more of a action/exploration game then it is a puzzle game. And I find it a far better example of its genre then ST or PH are to theirs.
If you take technological limitations into consideration, I would probably agree. Considering I cannot stand Zelda 2's closest relative I know, Dark Souls 3, yet enjoyed Zelda 2 to the end probably speaks to how well executed the concept in Zelda 2 is. ST and PH are still good executions of the Zelda formula, a formula that is not used often, let alone in a good way, outside of the Zelda series itself. If someone who likes modern Zelda plays through all Zelda games because of that, I would say ST and PH are more essential because they offer what Zelda (outside of 2 and maybe BotW) is about at a good, at times great, level. Which is, from my perspective, puzzles, simple combat with puzzly bosses and some exploration. Zelda 2 offers only a tiny bit of (1), goes a very different direction on (2) and offers a bit of (3).

It's one of my least favorite Zelda games but it's still fun enough. Save states really help as it eliminates a major frustration of the game when I was a kid, always restarting at the palace with Zelda (I tried to use the leave the NES on 24/7 solution but my brothers though it was hilarious to turn it off when I did that). I beat it with little difficulty, grind early and use a FAQ to get through Death Mountain.

To me, it is. It's a relatively fat-free challenging adventure game with solid gameplay and catchy tunes. Can't ask for much more than that.

illadelph

Zelda II is a very rewarding game to play. You have to hone your skills and get past the beginning, because it seems fucking impossible at first.

That said, I wouldn't try to play every single Zelda game before the new one drops. Play one, maybe two, but don't burn yourself out.

Crayon

The individual components of it are not that bad, it just doesn't gel together that well. And then you combine with the fact that it can be pretty hard and it's easy to get killed, kicked out of one of those big dungeons, and not feel particularly inspired to try harder. I was a child when it came out. Zelda 1 was able to totally capture my imagination. I was obsessed. Zelda 2 was limp and kind of punishing.

I've tried playing it in adult life and it's really just not that good despite being ambitious for the time.

As a kid, I remember having played the original Zelda at a friend's house and I asked my mother if I could have that game for Christmas and when I opened up my gift, it was actually Zelda II. My mother doesn't know much about games and she probably just asked the clerk for the Zelda game and they gave her the most recent one. I didn't know there was a sequel at time.....man was I in for a surprise. It did take me a while to beat it as I was only about 6 or 7 at the time.

CrazyHorse

I completed it as a child and I didn't think it was hard. That era had much harder games. I don't understand this sentiment. The hardest thing about it was the massive complex dungeons, but the combat was okay.

TBH I found OOT harder in terms of boss combat.

Was my first Zelda game as a kid (never owned the first one) and loved it. Still remember that temple music to this day. Thankful to be able to replay it on the NES Classic.

Chindogg

I can see why people appreciate it for trying something different, but for me it does too bad of a job communicating what your goals in the game even are and how to go about accomplishing them. Plus, the combat (on top of being hard) just doesn't feel good, so unraveling the obtuseness of the game doesn't even feel that rewarding because I legitimately don't want to continue on to the next sections of the game.

It's an interesting follow-up to the first game, but there's a reason it didn't really inspire the direction the series would take.

In other words it's Dark Souls.

Justinh

I love Zelda 2, it was one of my favorite games as a kid and still one of my favorite Zelda games. Admittedly though, I spend a lot of time farming XP, especially in the palaces before I finish them so I can skip the health and magic levels first and level up my strength even more.

I never did beat the game legit. I "beat" Thunderbird using a save-state right before on Wii U, but not straight through (that last palace with those asshole birdmen always kicks my ass)
I played Zelda 2 saturday, then i faced a guy with a Shield that blocks up and down, after dying 6 times i have given up.
Gotta get that jump, crouch attack thing down.
In other words it's Dark Souls.
Hmm, or maybe like Zelda 1?

Pinky

Banned
I love Zelda II. Criminally underrated. It is the odd duck in the series, but it's still a great game. Beating it feels rewarding as well.

beril

Zelda 2 is amazing.
Links Awakening is great as well but last time I tried to replay it I just do it couldn't because of all the hand holding and annoying repeated messages. I don't need to know how heavy a rock is every time I happen to touch one without the bracelet equipped damn it!

YourMaster

It's one of my favorite games, it really is fun, but you've got to invest in it. If you just want to quickly go past all the zelda's I'm sure you just get frustrated.
Personally I feel that using a walkthrough or save states or defeats the point entirely and you can just better skip it. On a replay you can finish the game in 3-5 hours without any difficulty, but if you play it the first time, have to try and figure out what to do, learn how to defeat the monsters without getting hit and die a lot in the process it's a full game.

The fun comes from how rewarding it is to finally be able to clear a section that gave you trouble, like getting across the river, finding the hammer or defeating the boss of the third castle. Actually finishing any castle feels like a huge relief.

It's like the complete opposite game of phantom hourglass, there's nothing cutesy about it.

oatmeal

Banned
I love the first half before it gets hard. Once you cross the sea it becomes very hard. Well, More when you head towards the SE area really. Once you play the flute to pass the giant spider all bets are off.

marrec

Banned
It's my second favorite Zelda game, frustratingly difficult at times but never so much so that it outweighs the fun you're having.

spookyfish

Whenever I've played it, I grind. I'll get all the way to the end of the early temples, then I'll exit and do it again.

That way I'm pretty overpowered by the time I start hitting some real tough enemies.

Is it fun? I guess it is to me. It's just very old-school in terms of design and play.

Pinky

Banned
The game is definitely challenging. I beat it once when I was a kid and didn't attempt to beat it again until 3 years ago. Since then, I've beaten the game 8-10 more times. The speed run below really helped out. Highly recommend you guys check it out.

https://youtu.be/vLsZix7bloY

entremet

I enjoyed it. If you don't, skip it.

I don't get people forcing themselves to play lackluster experiences. Our hobby is about fun. If you're not having fun, move on to the next title.

Don't be gaming version of that guy that forces himself to read the Classics but really hates them.

Very fun game. For those saying it's too hard...come on..I beat this game when I was 10 years old.

You also had way more time and limited options ;)

I'm sure the OP has a buffet of entertainment options within gaming alone. I finally beat Zelda II last year. Fun experience and definitely hard.

AColdDay

Zelda II is an amazing side scrolling adventure.

Zelda 2 is a great game that has a much higher barrier to entry on the skill level. It is a splash of cold water if you are expecting a typical Zelda game. I love the Zelda series, but they aren't exactly the most challenging from a gameplay perspective.

I saw on Neogaf where someone said that Zelda 2 was the original Dark Souls, and I think there is some merit to that. Both of them require a lot of initial investment and demand that you develop some muscle memory to hang, but are very rewarding challenges once you get the hang of it. I find the mastery of the sword battles you have to be as fun as any memory I've had with the rest of the series.

Rezae

Zelda II is my favorite Zelda, by far. Hard as balls, but I beat the game at 8 or 9 years old (probably a year after buying it). It's not impossible, and the challenge is where a lot of the satisfaction comes from.

I think it's EXTREMELY fun. By far my favorite Zelda game and my favorite Miyamoto game, for sure.

I wish more Zelda games would be like it over OoT, but at least Breath of the Wild takes inspiration from the original, which I'm 10000% cool with.

Top Bottom