• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U has 2GB of DDR3 RAM, [Up: RAM 43% slower than 360/PS3 RAM]

Tain

It's way more likely that someone will find, say, PS2's region locking "strike-worthy" than PS3's.

It is not at all unreasonable to have an issue with Wii U's region locking and not really mind PS3's. It is unreasonable to assume someone with this stance has an agenda.

Codeblue

Of course gameplay is most important, but while sales don't affect it in any way, technical performance can do so. Not necessarily, but it's possible.

Pulling the typical "gameplay > graphics, specs don't matter" card? When the Wii U doesn't get 720/PS4 multiplats I'd like to see where the quality third-party games come from.

The latter points depend pretty heavily on the 720/PS4 doing well in Japan.

I agree with you though, but it's a delicate balancing act between price and power, and $300 for a base model is pushing it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So:

360 Half a strike?
PS3 Quarter strike?
PSP No strikes?

I need hard numbers here!

Think you might be Meltdown #2. Heres hard numbers: 3DS and Wii U are 100% region locked. None of the other consoles or handhelds are. Except the Wii I guess? Three strikes! Blammo. But RAM! Hard numbers on RAM! Which are also bad. Hrrrm.

Foshy

The latter points depend pretty heavily on the 720/PS4 doing well in Japan.

I agree with you though, but it's a delicate balancing act between price and power, and $300 for a base model is pushing it.
Yeah, I was mostly talking about the western situation, the Wii U will no doubt dominate in Japan. As seen with the 3DS though, with it being region locked we might not see most of the games coming from there over here.

Stewox

Banned
Of course the OS won't take 1GB, the 1GB will be reserved to ensure that Nintendo can add to the OS and add other apps if needed without effecting games. Once they've nailed everything down they could then look at freeing up some of the RAM they don't end up using. Nintendo are very conservative so I wouldn't be surprised if 1GB is far more than they're actually using for the OS (including apps) currently.

Exactly, man, totally same as i thought. Pretty natural.

Conservative may not be the best term as it can be interpreted differently in other cases, it's simply that nintendo cares about optimizing and polish, and they do a pretty damn good job at it.

Margalis

Banned
Think you might be Meltdown #2. Heres hard numbers: 3DS and Wii U are 100% region locked. None of the other consoles or handhelds are. Except the Wii I guess? Three strikes! Blammo. But RAM! Hard numbers on RAM! Which are also bad. Hrrrm.

So now a system has 3 strikes if other systems are region locked? Lol.

In that case PS3 has those same 3 strikes.

Owned by logic.

Before you post again think for at least 1 second. You don't seem to have any idea what you are even arguing.

Edit: It kind of looks like you are melting down right now, posting complete nonsense.

Margalis

Banned
How do we calculate strikes?

Apparently for Nintendo systems the number of strikes is equal to the number of total region locked Nintendo systems.

SNES can't play SFC games out of the box. DAMN YOU WII U!!!!!!!

Lol. Fanboy logic is truly an amazing thing to behold. This guy is literally arguing that region locking on one system makes an entirely different system less worth buying.

Maybe he thinks the Wii U plays 3DS games?

Rolf NB

The PS3 has a grand total of one (1) region-locked games, and it took 5½ years to reach this count (from formerly zero).
If that's a "strike", or fuck this, if this even counts as region locking, then I'm the lizardman pope.
Margalis said:
Owned by logic.
Oh brother.
Margalis said:
Before you post again think for at least 1 second. You don't seem to have any idea what you are even arguing.
Brother.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Many of us here have no clue what all this means, can someone please explain in english?

RAM that slow suggests a weak GPU. The PC I built 1.5 years ago uses DDR3 1600 MHz for the CPU/System. My video cards' RAM are way faster than that. Most mid range GPUs have GDDR5.

I don't know why this is surprising. I know there's dozens of rumor threads about Wii U specs, but from the initial media and specs it was clear it was something mildly faster than PS3/360. Nintendo made tons of money from Wii and system specs weren't the reason. This time they've mitigated weak 3rd party support by using DX hardware, so I'm sure Wii U will do well.

Edit: If the GPU is really weak as well, then I don't understand Nintendo's strategy. Sure it's DX compatible, but if it's essentially 0.75x-1.5x PS3/360, then the difference between Wii U and PS4/Xbox3 is so large that it wouldn't be feasible to port games. I mean if Bethesda has a ton of trouble porting to PS3, just think...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Feel free to explain how the 3DS being region locked is a strike against the Wii U.

Bold prediction by me: you won't be able to do that.

If you could stop melting down for a second, at no point did I say that the 3DS being locked was a strike against the Wii U, just highlighting to you the difference between the current gen systems and which ones are 100%, and the Wii comment as the "third strike" was thrown in as a joke. Despite all your "lol"s, I imagine you were too outraged to pick up on that and so threw yourself headlong into irrational strawman attack mode and fanboy accusations. Its okay, you're like the best entertainment part of console launches! Dinner AND a show. Pick yourself up, consider perhaps not wearing that red badge there quite so prominently, and lets have a gay ol' teardown time!

TheD

The Detective
Not sure if serious. GTA4 is CPU hog not GPU. When this generation started consoles CPUs were leaps and beyond above what was avabile for consumer PC market. Cell alone was faster than anything in 2008 and 2009. Xbox 3 core PPU wasn't to slow either.

It was bad optimalization because they didn't use GPU as much as CPU because of different architecture of PC (weak CPU)

As i said CPU power doesn't have anything with texture size or ram pool and i don't see it being any constructive comment in ram talk.

NO!

Console CPUs are far behind PC CPUs.
The 360 CPU is slow as hell, it is only around the speed of 1 and a half P4s!

And people say that by looking at the RAM? Won't the next PS/Xbox use the same off the shelf RAM? Will Sony use the expensive Rambus again? I haven't been following about that too much. Only that Sony is going with AMD and MS with Intel/Nvidia.

They will not have RAM that is slower than the consoles they replace.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Just going by the evidence available to us, i would say about the same or slightly weaker. Just going by the games and the specs revealed so far. Quite a feat by Nintendo if you ask me :/

Seriously. Fucking gimmicky tablet and strong yen.

I'm still going to get one and enjoy Nintendo's games, but as a PC tech enthusiast I'm a bit angry at how out of the way they went to not make this a decent bump over 360/PS3. $20 on COGS would have made this 2x PS3/360.

Still have hope for PS4 and Xbox3. I mid range AMD Sea Islands + a many core ARM or AMD or PowerPC CPU would be a 5x jump without breaking the bank.

NO!

Console CPUs are far behind PC CPUs.
The 360 CPU is slow as hell, it is only around the speed of 1 and a half P4s!

He was talking back then, but even so he would be astonishingly wrong because by the time GTA4 came out on PC, you had access to CPUs like Q9XXX series and Core i7, which ran circles and then some around the 360 CPU, which btw is more or less comparable to a Pentium 4 Extreme edition according to Capcom. First Gen Core 2 Duos from 2006 were already significantly faster than P4E. Their architecture was just that much more efficient.

Yet even with a Core i7 920, I had problems having performances that matched the 360 version. If this isn't bad porting then I don't know what it is, because it certainly wasn't my Core i7's fault.

TheD

The Detective
He was talking back then, but even so he would be astonishingly wrong because by the time GTA4 came out on PC, you had access to CPUs like Q9XXX series and Core i7, which ran circles and then some around the 360 CPU, which btw is more or less comparable to a Pentium 4 Extreme edition according to Capcom. First Gen Core 2 Duos from 2006 were already significantly faster than P4E. Their architecture was just that much more efficient.

Yet even with a Core i7 920, I had problems having performances that matched the 360 version. If this isn't bad porting then I don't know what it is, because it certainly wasn't my Core i7's fault.

Yes, it was a crap arse port, but they did seem to fix it (at least that is what I gather from seeing low end C2Ds playing it fine now).

Risette

A Good Citizen
If you could stop melting down for a second, at no point did I say that the 3DS being locked was a strike against the Wii U, just highlighting to you the difference between the current gen systems and which ones are 100%, and the Wii comment as the "third strike" was thrown in as a joke. Despite all your "lol"s, I imagine you were too outraged to pick up on that and so threw yourself headlong into irrational strawman attack mode and fanboy accusations. Its okay, you're like the best entertainment part of console launches! Dinner AND a show. Pick yourself up, consider perhaps not wearing that red badge there quite so prominently, and lets have a gay ol' teardown time!
Man people are so eager to whip out that strawman buzzword these days, mostly inappropriately. As evidenced here.

Also too hot in the pants for meltdowns when there isn't one.

Ryoku

GTAIV was actually a very shit port.

Did you play with settings that matched the 360's? The PC version allowed for much higher viewing ranges/less pop-in iirc.

Margalis

Banned
If you could stop melting down for a second, at no point did I say that the 3DS being locked was a strike against the Wii U, just highlighting to you the difference between the current gen systems and which ones are 100%, and the Wii comment as the "third strike" was thrown in as a joke.

Who is melting down? You are the one posting incoherent nonsense. When you spazz out uncontrollably for no reason because of "meltdowns" that aren't happening you are the one with issues.

You can't say something stupid then claim you were just joking. Also I was also totally joking.

I imagine you were too outraged to pick up on that and so threw yourself headlong into irrational strawman attack mode and fanboy accusations.

I get outraged when someone on Neogaf says something kind of dumb? I must be like the Hulk - my secret is I'm always angry!

Yes, it was a crap arse port, but they did seem to fix it (at least that is what I gather from seeing low end C2Ds playing it fine now).

Yup they did it after countless amount of patches.

GTAIV was actually a very shit port.

Indeed it was. I was merely trying to say it wasn't because PC CPUs weren't up to par compared to the 360.

Did you play with settings that matched the 360's? The PC version allowed for much higher viewing ranges/less pop-in iirc.

I played with settings better than the 360 version, but switching the pop-in/range distance and most settings from min to max made next to zero improvement. Dropping the resolution did nothing either. This port was simply put a hack job, at least, when we're talking about first month release build.

rdrr gnr

Owned by logic.

Edit: It kind of looks like you are melting down right now, posting complete nonsense.
What am I reading?

Margalis

Banned
Yeah, trying to equate the situations just because of a single region locked game (what's that, less than 0.2%?) is stupid.

You clearly didn't read or understand the post he was responding to.

Claiming that the 3DS being region locked is a strike against the Wii U is stupid. You disagree...?

Durante

You clearly didn't read or understand the post he was responding to.
What I read is you claiming that "basically every console and handheld is region locked" (that's a direct quote), and other people pointing out that this is not the case. It doesn't seem like such a complex issue, which part did I miss?

Risette

A Good Citizen
What I read is you claiming that "basically every console and handheld is region locked" (that's a direct quote), and other people pointing out that this is not the case. It doesn't seem like such a complex issue, which part did I miss?
???

Donnie

It could be using the lower speed:

https://twitter.com/anandshimpi/status/270289178242195456

Would this mean something like 13GB/s?

I doubt it personally because its going to be a multiple of the GPU (400Mhz GPU?) and I also don't see an exact rounded speed being likely either. Also not sure how current direct ports would work with that kind of memory bandwidth (since they won't exactly be optimised well for WiiU to offset that kind of difference). Interested to see how he could possibly nail down a specific speed though. Look forward to reading a full article from him.

Margalis

Banned

The part where I posted?

You clearly didn't read the post the guy you quoted was responding to, so go back and read it.

This is what I said:

So now a system has 3 strikes if other systems are region locked?

Crazy thing to question! Are we really going to debate for multiple pages over the notion that one system being region locked somehow detracts from a completely different system just because it has the same manufacturer? I mean that's self-evidently kinda dumb.... right?

Owned by logic.

Are you really equating the region-locking of 1 game on PS3 to a whole system being locked? Dude, you really need to chill.

Margalis

Banned
Are you really equating the region-locking of 1 game on PS3 to a whole system being locked? Dude, you really need to chill.

I'm equating the relationship of region locking between 3DS and Wii U to the relationship of region locking between 3DS and PS3. (In that there is no relationship)

Do you guys even read posts at all before replying to them? (Hint: they key word is "other")

Top Bottom