• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Most Anticipated Games of 2017

Raw64life

21. Dragon Quest XI
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
10. Ni no Kuni II
40. Dragon Quest VIII
12. South Park: The Fractured But Whole
56. Dragon Quest Heroes II
5. Mass Effect: Andromeda
11. Yooka-Laylee
32. Tales of Berseria
18. Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite

Cool to see Dragon Quest XI as high as it is despite it having zero chance of coming to the west in 2017. In reality, Super Mario Switch would replace it at the top of my list since I actually expect to be playing that in 2017, but the rules didn't allow it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Woah, are those vines moving/growing?

small-leafcuttersmcu8k.jpg

wapplew

GAF Japanese game bias confirm.

P.S Who is the other person vote for Dino Frontier? I'm not the only one!

I guess I'm not surprised that Zelda got number 1 :/

Considering how cleanly all the systems and link's moveset flow in and out of each other and the relatively recent showing of NPC AI and towns(which pretty much reconfirms the NPC AI in the first trailer), in addition to how considered the structure of the game seems to be, I don't think anyone should be surprised at it taking the #1 slot. What is the surprise is how damn close it was between persona 5 and Zelda.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
GR2 and Nier in the top ten. You did good, GAF. ❤

Zedark

If nothing gets delayed
again
2017 is looking mighty fine.
Super hyped for Zelda, Persona, and Nier

A lot of them have release dates for the first half of 2017, so odds are they won't be delayed out of 2017 (you never know, of course). The only ones that have a reasonable chance of being delayed are RDR2 and Ni No Kuni 2.
With all the hate Horizon has been getting recently, I'm surprised it beat red dead redemption.
A loud minority, it would seem.

kromeo

You can tell how far removed from general audiences GAF is with my most anticipated game being at #6. That shit is gon crash and burn if you bums don't go out and buy it.

3 of those games in the top 10 will see relatively small numbers, gaf bubble and all that

all 3 of them look great

Kyonashi

Most surprised at the lack of thatgamecompany's Game #4 lack of inclusion on the list, seeing as it was confirmed for 2017... Maybe people aren't aware of it yet?

Blobbers

7 of the top 10 are games from Japanese developers. It's over, Japanese games AND the Japanese home console industry are coming back big time. 2017 is just the beginning

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Most surprised at the lack of thatgamecompany's Game #4 lack of inclusion on the list, seeing as it was confirmed for 2017... Maybe people aren't aware of it yet?
.. Maybe because it's a game we know nothing about?

Somnia

I always find these threads interesting in how GAF's excitement for games differs from the general public. I mean that's obvious as most of us are pretty hardcore gamers (who don't play games, just talk about them lol).

Someone should do a comparison at the end of this year on how our most anticipated games sold... which could be hard since sales data is so hard to get ahold of.

Kyonashi

.. Maybe because it's a game we know nothing about?

For the most part people seem to be loyal to studios and creators who they've enjoyed the work of in the past though. After Journey, I'm massively excited for Game #4 even after just a teaser image.

I wouldn't expect it to be in the Top 10 or anything but its lack of appearance is a surprise to me. For example, Project Sonic 2017 is at #43.

Fireblend

Banned
Damn, it came down to the wire between Zelda and P5. Totally thought P5 would take it after the first few pages of votes. I'm super excited for both :D

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Despite the fact that game development in japan is very diminished compared what it used to be, and that japanese games only stand for a fraction of all the actual game releases, 7 out of 10 games on the top 10 list are japanese, 4 of them with a clear anime aesthetic. Considering how many quality games the rest of the world churns out, this is pretty remarkable. Its really not dawned on me until recently how much neogaf favours japanese games.

With all the hate Horizon has been getting recently, I'm surprised it beat red dead redemption.

There's no "hate," so let's not get that started. There's people who think it might disappoint, which is an entirely valid, non-hateful opinion to have.

Konami gets "hate."

mrmickfran

Holy shit, Zelda and Persona are close. And they were my number 1 & 2 respectively lol

I like the way the banners look. They look nice.

Thanks guys, glad you all like it! Special thanks to Kyonashi for the banners.

Well, it still doesn't even have a title yet right? So I was unsure of whether to include it or not since it's not technically 'officially' announced. It was pretty low in any case with only a few points.

Edit: I see Sonic Project is included. I worked with a formula with nrvalleytime, I'll go back and throw in thatgamecompany's game for completion's sake.

Alright, nice to see Zelda on top and Persona 5 so close. Persona is really one of the best series of all time and I really hope this one make some mainstream noise. It's very well deserved.

My top 3 were Persona, Zelda and Horizon. As cookie cutter as it gets.

Y'know we go on about how much Japan's declined as a force, but you'd never know it looking at this list.

Didn't expect Prey to be on top 20 (It was among my top 5 anticipated games). That's good to hear.

2017 is shaping up to be a great year. Assuming of course we don't get any more delays lol

Kyonashi

Well, it still doesn't even have a title yet right? So I was unsure of whether to include it or not since it's not technically 'officially' announced. It was pretty low in any case with only a few points.

Yeah I can see that being an issue. I considered the blog-post with the images a 'soft announce' though.

Didn't have an issue with your parameters for inclusion, just thought more people would share my excitement. :)

Same for FFXIV: Stormblood! XIV is the stealth best FF game in over a decade.

Horizon staying steady at number 3 from last year. Next year will be interesting since the top 3 will definitely be gone after having taken a space for a while now.

That Zelda and Persona gap. Whew.

Gravity Rush 2 making top 10 melts my heart! ;_;

The first Xbox exclusive is Scalebound and it ranked pretty low...I'm surprised Halo Wars 2 ranked so low.

Great year coming in 2017!

Elandyll

Banned
2017 is looking Cray, and my wallet will scream if I attempt to even play half the games I'd like to.

GR2 and HZ are day 1, P5, Nioh, RE7 and Nier will be wait and see for reviews and disposable income.

What a lovely year! (At least in games)

Top Bottom