• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

I'm still not entirely sure I understand the licensing issue that prevents MS from just doing it. If the game is available to download on XBL for 360, what's the difference?

Is it that the code has to be modified/appended that requires the permission?

It's being played on a different console with emulation, the user agreement when you buy a 360 game (any game) does not allow that.

Chris1

I'm still not entirely sure I understand the licensing issue that prevents MS from just doing it. If the game is available to download on XBL for 360, what's the difference?

I don't think any game code is being edited, but I don't think it's as easy as MS are making it out to be either. If it was as simple as checking a box "BC enabled?" there would be more than 100 titles at launch.

But I guess the technical details don't really matter if it requires nothing on the publisher/user side and MS is willing to do that work, so there's no point bringing it up because it'll just overcomplicate things. But I really don't think it's as simple as they make it out to be especially when the games are so limited and Borderlands was delayed multiple weeks for the preview members.

ekim

I don't think any game code is being edited, but I don't think it's as easy as MS are making it out to be either. If it was as simple as checking a box "BC enabled?" there would be more than 100 titles at launch.

But I guess the technical details don't really matter if it requires nothing on the publisher/user side and MS is willing to do that work, so there's no point bringing it up because it'll just overcomplicate things. But I really don't think it's as simple as they make it out to be especially when the games are so limited and Borderlands was delayed multiple weeks for the preview members.

They have to repackage the game files into the 360 VM that comes with every BC title. That's also why even small games have a huge size increase. This repackaging needs permission by the code owner of cause.

Bsigg12

Yes. Since they have to modify the content and then put it up for download on Live the original licensing becomes an issue as it wouldn't cover that content being modified to run on a different platform. They probably have to go case by case as well in terms of licensed music and possibly character likeness. There are a lot of hoops to jump through because the BC isn't done with integrated 360 chipsets.

mike4001_

Yes. Since they have to modify the content and then put it up for download on Live the original licensing becomes an issue as it wouldn't cover that content being modified to run on a different platform. They probably have to go case by case as well in terms of licensed music and possibly character likeness. There are a lot of hoops to jump through because the BC isn't done with integrated 360 chipsets.

I still think that they are doing this just as a precaution not to piss of publishers ...

I've not seen the leaked (fake) document yet but I can't wait to be let down on tuesday
QCOX6Ps.png

ekim

Btw: I already have Fallout 3 digitally on my 360. If anyone wants the code that came with F4, shoot me a pm. Don't know if it's just valid in Germany (for the cut version)

As long as Castlevania is real I have the first game I'm gonna play with this. Only ever got to the beginning of the inverted castle.

Chitown B

yes.

Syriel

Technically it is because a new copy is being created. Only the copyright owner can give that permission. It is no different than say, a new run of discs being printed, from that perspective.

Microsoft had two major options when implementing Xbox 360 BC on the Xbox One.

1) Create a single VM, read games off disc, allow emulator access to all system hardware.
2) Create a single VM, but package it with each individual game. Limit hardware access, and package each game with a full set of title art and information.

MS opted for option two.

Going the first route wouldn't have required publisher permission, however it would have opened potential security holes and whenever someone played a 360 game on the XBO it would just have shown "360 game" as the title. Same would be true for disc art, screen shot and video captures, there would be no game hubs, no tiles in your collection, etc.

By going for the second route there is a duplication of emulator data and distribution permission needs to be obtained, however each individual game is treated as a separate entity by the XBO. All features that apply to a XBO game apply to a 360 BC game running on the system. And because the emulator has very limited hardware access there are less potential avenues for exploits. Even the game disc isn't directly read. It is simply used as a license key.

It's being played on a different console with emulation, the user agreement when you buy a 360 game (any game) does not allow that.

Permission isn't needed because it is running on an emulated system. Permission is needed because a new copy is being made. This is also true of XBLA titles because a new system license is being created, which means another licensed copy.

Weird seeing Shadowrun on that list. It was definitely a fun shooter, but the online community is pretty much dead nowadays, unfortunately.

I thought the servers were taken down for Shadowrun. Maaaaannnnn, I would love it if I can play Shadowrun again.

I love that game so very much.

NakedJedi

Banned
As long as I can play. Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Tales of Vesperia and The Last Remnant again. I'll is the BC. But sadly I haven't seen them as being compatible.

carl32

Banned
Im trying to download Dirt 3 via xbox.com, it wont let me, saying i need to add card details, i could swear that i downloaded this way before even tho my card details are out of date. Any ideas ?

Yes from the storage management, you can move your saves between storage, including cloud(provided you're a gold subscriber)

Thanks. Gonna do that now.

Time to hook that old box up one last time.

Edit: Oof, this is gonna take a while.

Edit2: Knew that the copious amounts of saving in New Vegas was gonna bite me in the ass at some point.

Im trying to download Dirt 3 via xbox.com, it wont let me, saying i need to add card details, i could swear that i downloaded this way before even tho my card details are out of date. Any ideas ?

Yeah this is a stupid feature, but for some reason the website requires that you have a card registered even if the game is free. For some reason you also can't buy games with Xbox credit on there which is particularly annoying. There were some great recent 360 games I wanted to get for cheap ready for BC but had to purchase them on my card even though I had credit on my account. It's pretty shitty.

Maybe you could download it direct from the X1? Presumably it will go up on the 12th when BC launches? You will still have a couple days to get it before it rotates to the next game.

Yoday

Thanks. Gonna do that now.

Time to hook that old box up one last time.

Edit: Oof, this is gonna take a while.

Edit2: Knew that the copious amounts of saving in New Vegas was gonna bite me in the ass at some point.
I did this a few months ago as well. It was time consuming and monotonous as hell, but it will have been worth it when all of my saves are just there.

Kssio_Aug

I really hope they bring Red Dead Redemption and Ninja Gaiden 2 in 12th November! Together with Gears 2, 3, Judgement and Halo Reach, are the titles I want the most!

TheKeyPit

Banned
I really hope they bring Red Dead Redemption and Ninja Gaiden 2 in 12th November! Together with Gears 2, 3, Judgement and Halo Reach, are the titles I want the most!

I just want Gears of War 3 to be finally available, so I can play with three of my friends through the campaign in coop.

gossi

I just want Gears of War 3 to be finally available, so I can play with three of my friends through the campaign in coop.

All Gears games are coming (although maybe not this week). They sold GoW Ultimate Edition under promise previous titles would be BC by December.

Top Bottom