• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brand new Sony Japan Studio game - Panopticon (Trailer up, announcing May 21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replicant

It looks like GANTZ meets Monster Hunter meets SMT. It can be interesting but judging from the graphics and the logos on top of the trailer, I'd say it's a PS3/PSV/PSP game.

Margalis

Banned
But even if the particle effects are reminiscent of PS4 demos, the majority of the graphics simply do not look that great.

There are going to be a lot of PS4 games that look like "weak" efforts for PS4. Who is going to spend $50 million making a game like this? Basically your options are don't make it look great for a PS4 game or don't produce it at all.

That said it's not gameplay footage anyway.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Re. platform, I think it depends on what was a cutscene and what was gameplay. I think there was definitely a heavy mix-in of cutscene or concept stuff. There were a few snippets that looked like they were from the game engine, that definitely looked like they could be Vita, e.g.

Wg29Jvb.png

tusken77

probably the security camera part.

Yeah, the guy getting picked out in London.

Tg8xGVL.png

Looks amazing. I'm intrigued.

I'm gonna guess it's a Vita title. Then again, if it's being announced on the 21st, so probably a PS4 game to take a little bit of the attention away from the next Xbox.

jgmo870

Banned
I'm gonna guess it's a Vita title. Then again, if it's being announced on the 21st, so probably a PS4 game to take a little bit of the attention away from the next Xbox.

You don't use a Japan Studios game to take away attention from the next Xbox.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
There is more information hidden if can get some good shots of the text that flashes up on the screen on occasion.

It is most likely for Vita still i hope to see if SCEJ working on any PS4 projects .
Truth is i would take some PS4 games looking PS3 games in certain aspects with better IQ and effects etc ect like the Atelier Meruru games.
But SECJ don't even what do that it seems .

ReaperXL7

Yeah, the guy getting picked out in London.

Tg8xGVL.png

Looks amazing. I'm intrigued.

Lol I dont have much interest in the nextbox, but this will take away zero attention from its announcement outside of Japan, but Sonys already won.that war anyway so they dont really have to compete with the Xbox for that audience.

I this looks great in many ways, but putting this up against games like respawns game, or likely most anything else MS is going to take time to show would be insane.

Redhood

I think picking the guy from a security cam means picking a guy online. There will be common lobby and u can see characters level and call him to fight monsters or something or something I don't know. :/

Zoator

It is most likely for Vita still i hope to see if SCEJ working on any PS4 projects .
Truth is i would take some PS4 games looking PS3 games in certain aspects with better IQ and effects etc ect like the Atelier Meruru games.
But SECJ don't even what do that it seems .

Knack is a SCEJ project.

jgmo870

Banned
It a new game/IP. It's news. Doesn't matter where it's from.

Of course it matters if you're looking to get attention from a wide audience. Something from SSM or Naughty Dog would be the right fit since they get bigger budgets and graphics sell.

Parakeetman

Some of the text spotted talks about (could be wrong as dont have the full text)

How "All Panopticons are picked out from civilians"

Need someone else with a much higher level of Japanese than my own to get a better full reading.

Though there is an "All" which appears before Panopticon, this is around the 34-35 sec mark. So will have to see in context what Panopticon actually is. My guess would be its what refers to those who are picked out. This also explains the snatch and grabs going on, then seeing folks in the prison uniform & the line up getting their prom photos taken lol

Need to get this video ripped so can actually go through the frames. Doing press pause minigame with youtube isnt working out to be the greatest. But yeah there most def is useful info on the background of the setting in the text that flashes up in the screen.

tusken77

Lol I dont have much interest in the nextbox, but this will take away zero attention from its announcement outside of Japan, but Sonys already won.that war anyway so they dont really have to compete with the Xbox for that audience.

I said a little bit. On a day full of Xbox coverage on sites, a headline with "New PS4 Title" in it will still catch people's attention.

But even if the particle effects are reminiscent of PS4 demos, the majority of the graphics simply do not look that great. I think if the trailer is representative of "real time PS4", it'll be seen as a pretty weak effort... which might be the case if it's really an Imageepoch collaboration or something cheap like that. Lol.

Geometry wise it looks nuts. The rest is down to art style.

Durante

Geometry wise it looks nuts. The rest is down to art style.
Indeed, if it is realtime there is absolutely no way it is on any Sony platform other than PS4. I don't know what people expect from stylized next-gen games, I think it looks fantastic, geometry and IQ are pretty much perfect.

Parakeetman

Wonder if the bit at 1:13 with the person clearing dirt away from what appeared to be a TM-RP6 Anti-Tank mine (Of Yugoslavian origin) was part of someones memory?

Can we please wait until we see gameplay before we call it a monster hunter clone. Its getting old.

Its looking to be pretty obvious it quite possibly is. Hell even if its of the same formula as an ARPG like Phantasy Star Online its still part of the same genre in the sense of co-op action title with giant bosses. If this would be the first 8 player hunting action type of game, that would be a pretty large accomplishment for SCEJ which would garner a lot of interest from the fans of the genre itself which there is a fairly large number of domestically anyways.

Whats interesting is that it seems too the people are grabbing weapons from that large black rectangle on their backs. More like it spawns in a weapon, you can see that occur from around 1:15

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Its site has ps3, psvita and psp logos... if we add that it looks exactly like god eater 2 that is for psvita and psp i think that ps3, psvita and psp is a safe bet.

Pooya

looks poor for a PS4 game, I think it's super sampled prerendered Vita game. The models look like something made to look good with low polys.

Acosta

Looks frigging amazing but I have no idea what's going on. Great style.

I would bet Vita of PS3/Vita, there seems to be a certain Monster Hunter tone on it.

Parakeetman

looks poor for a PS4 game, I think it's super sampled prerendered Vita game. The models look like something made to look good with low polys.

Then again if its a cross platform title, sacrifices would be necessary to allow for the design model to work.

Truthfully Id be more concerned about gameplay than graphics. Since if the gameplay isnt good, all we got is a shiny turd. lol

Parakeetman

Perhaps this is Sony's answer to getting fed up with the constant table scrap leftovers given to them by Capcom for Monster Hunter titles, instead of a fresh new one haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom