• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

I have the MW81 which have been pretty durable except for the neoprene cuff which is a bit delicate. Still, they're warm even when wet. They're not proper winter shoes though, only good until -5C or so. 45nrth is apparently the best, but they're way too expensive for my taste. Once there's snow spds become impractical for mountain biking anyway.

We very rarely go in the snow because none of us have fat bikes, just 29s, so it will get hairy in that crap. -5c/23 is fine because with good wool socks I should be ok.

Good shot from the event.

Me and the guy in front were desperate to get past a train at this point but it was singletrack for ages.

You do not fit the mold of some of the guys who ride that shit. I love it. You're built like a climber

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Ordered the Hooligan recently, will pick the box up tonight. Friend of mine called it a clown cycle already.

Is there interest in the assembly progress and/or riding impressions?

You do not fit the mold of some of the guys who ride that shit. I love it. You're built like a climber

Annoyingly that was my downfall. I was faster than the other guys on the ups and the downs, but got stuck behind them on both.

I could barely hold onto them on the flats.

Talking of climbing, I did this a couple of days after the ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1136538525

k2jop.jpg

Yeah. The plan now is to get my muscle back. I've lost a shitload since breaking my ribs / dislocating my shoulder.

Hopefully with 15lbs or so more weight and a chunk more power I'll be able to handle the headwinds better. I honestly don't mind giving up some climbing speed.

Anyone in the (SF) bay area? New to the area and wouldn't mind some help finding a place to ride.

I'm near Redwood City if curious, though I can drive wherever. Thanks!

WedgeX

Banned
Anyone in the (SF) bay area? New to the area and wouldn't mind some help finding a place to ride.

One of my friends rides often in the Bay Area, mostly around Silicon Valley. He seems to like the Portola Valley and the surrounding area.

Mountain or road? I think a lot of road folks head north into marin county and ride through there.

I also recall reading about A LOT of companies who have cyclist that meet up every day for a daily commute from SF to Mountain View/Cupertino area and back

mYm|17|

Nothing worse than coming back from dropping off your partner at train station to find that your bike was stolen outside of where you live.

teepo

So Landa is off to Movistar. I wonder what that means for Quintana.

absolutely nothing. quintana just announced he's staying with movistar

landa will lead the giro and/or vuelta team while quintana will solely focus on the tour. the real question is whether landa will support quintana in his chase for yellow.

kottila

Is it slipping? Is it an aluminum bike? Carbon fiber? Steel?

Carbon post in a aluminium frame and carbon paste dosen't work probably because of a crack in the seat tube, which is a known fault in the frame (cervelo s1 2009). Forums ar full of people complaining, but since I'm not the original owner I'm not covered by their warranties. Need to buy something this fall before the bike collapses under me

kottila

Surely some sort of shim would fix it?

Maybe it could keep the post from slipping, but I'm not that comfortable riding around with a crack in the frame (and new bikes are shinier!)

I have a weird propriatary aero seatpost shape, so how would you shim it? Just use a coke can?

One of my friends rides often in the Bay Area, mostly around Silicon Valley. He seems to like the Portola Valley and the surrounding area.

Thanks, I'll try looking that up.

Mountain or road? I think a lot of road folks head north into marin county and ride through there.

I also recall reading about A LOT of companies who have cyclist that meet up every day for a daily commute from SF to Mountain View/Cupertino area and back

Mostly looking for mountain, though road possibly too. I think I'm a bit far from work right now (for me), probably about an hour via the road.

Gray Matter

Century #3 in the books.

It was humid as fuck today, was sweating buckets today. At one point felt myself getting dehydrated, stop for about 10 minutes and kept going.

Ripenen

Test rode a few mountain bikes over the weekend.

Santa Cruz 5010 felt great. Super responsive and felt like I could really chuck it around. It's at the top of my list but $4K seems very steep for what you get, plus they didn't have the color I prefer.

Specialize Stumpjumper was really bad. It was so damn squishy. I really did not like it at all, but it's quite possible the suspension wasn't properly adjusted.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 27.5+ was interesting. Everyone raves about plus size tires but I just didn't get it. Felt kind of heavy and slow even though I think the bigger tires are supposed to be faster aren't they? I'd really like to try this one on some rocky trails to see what the fuss is about. The test ride area at the shop was pretty weak.

Based on this I'm tempted to just buy a Canyon Spectral or YT Jeffsy.

Based on this I'm tempted to just buy a Canyon Spectral or YT Jeffsy.

Both excellent bikes, but I'd still try them... realistically with someone who knows how to tweak suspension.

Edit - Also, plus / fat isn't that good on rocky stuff unless you run seriously low pressures. They're much better for roots / ruts / washboard and the like.

Ripenen

Both excellent bikes, but I'd still try them... realistically with someone who knows how to tweak suspension.

Edit - Also, plus / fat isn't that good on rocky stuff unless you run seriously low pressures. They're much better for roots / ruts / washboard and the like.

Interesting. I see a lot of folks at the local bike park running plus and even fat tires. How are they at climbing? I love doing steep technical climbs and I'd guess the lower pressure and larger surface area would help with the traction.

I did a 1 day bike packing/camping trip this weekend. Rode 20ish miles out to a campground, then home in the morning. It was fun, but god damn does a packed bike feel way different and overly exhausting to ride. I managed to maintain almost 18mph on the way home, but I'd be lying if I said I felt good at the end of that.

Proper off road with bags on you're generally lucky if you can maintain 10mph, let alone 18! It's VERY hard going.

Feels like when I used to cycle when I was fat and unfit. :D

Proper off road with bags on you're generally lucky if you can maintain 10mph, let alone 18! It's VERY hard going.

Feels like when I used to cycle when I was fat and unfit. :D

Should have noted we were on the road for 95% of the trip. No way I could have come close to 10 on a packed mountain bike.

Just riding an empty bike with a front rack felt weird enough. It throws off your whole balance point and weight.

Laekon

Pretty sure that's the brand I've been wanting to get, but they're all kind of pricey for my needs

Yeah, they're far from cheap. I might pick myself one up in the new year if I find myself with some spare cash.

They last forever and are more stable then any of the Park's I've used. I bought one in the late 90's that is still being used by a family member. If you are only using it for cleaning and basic repairs the cheaper model works fine as most of the time you can get away with just hooking the saddle over the top.

Addnan

Where does the battery stay. If you are going for an ebike and not want to hide that you are getting an ebike might as well get one with decent range.

Most i've seen are quite obvious...

2016_Giant_Road_E_Plus_1_update.jpg

frontieruk

Bicicle Gaf, I'm thinking about getting a Ampler Bilberry:

do you guys have any recommendations for other clean looking ebikes like this one?

Where does the battery stay. If you are going for an ebike and not want to hide that you are getting an ebike might as well get one with decent range.

Most i've seen are quite obvious...

2016_Giant_Road_E_Plus_1_update.jpg

I don't know the one he's looking at has a 60km range according to their site, I think id prefer a manual I want a boost button rather than a consistent assist though apparently using the power meter in it you can set assist levels which is cool

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
EBikes are a fantastic thing and eventually going to make way more sense than just about anything else (weather permitting). I just got back from Germany and the Netherlands - and I noticed that Germany has finally switched to "proper" bikes, that is to say a broad swathe of road bike, MTBs, hybrids, commuters, folding etc. But Holland ain't giving up those granny witch bikes any time soon.

And I was marveling at the lack of helmets in Cologne when I watched a woman and a guy ride in opposite directions and smash into each other on the river walk. She banged heads with him. Double whammy. They were OK, but it was a good reminder that they're not immune to physics.

Wear your helmets.

(They won't)

Top Bottom