• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: 3DS finally hacked?

If the 3DS is hacked and I can play games from other regions on my 3DS, it is good for me. If Nintendo doesn't like it, they can suck it up.

Of course it's good for the customer and can be seen as a positive thing therefor. What he/she was coming from is people claiming Nintendo brought this to them self and pretending the system wouldn't been hacked if it wasn't for region locking. And this is nonsense.

duckroll

We see those prices FF and DQ games launch at and go wow.

Same for Falcom games actually, didn't the latest Kiseki go for $70 or higher? Guess it must be an RPG thing period.

Some games are indeed priced much higher in Japan. Those premium prices are also usually third party games. Not always RPGs, but those do form a significant portion of premium priced games. Even so, there are various reasons why for these titles, "reverse import" usually isn't a problem:

- Massively front loaded titles with no equivalent overseas release for months if at all.

- No dual-language options usually mean it is useless to Japanese players, especially with regards to text.

- You can get really good deals even on expensive games if you're a smart shopper. Amazon Japan has really good discounts, but local stores also tend to have good loyalty deals or special discounts if you know how to shop. People who would order something overseas to save money would likely already know about these more convenient options.

Eusis

And yet Japanese people could import the Asian version which is about as cheap as the US version and works perfectly fine on a Japanese PS3.
There were probably some really paranoid execs in the position to screw things up. It does sound like sometimes they just don't have a damn clue and want things to go a certain way, and I can especially see it for just VA contracts.
- You can get really good deals even on expensive games if you're a smart shopper. Amazon Japan has really good discounts, but local stores also tend to have good loyalty deals or special discounts if you know how to shop. People who would order something overseas to save money would likely already know about these more convenient options.
I noticed this with P4A itself, before it even came here you could find it for something like $60 on the right sites. Probably further reinforces my point there's some idiots with their heads stuck in the sand making the calls.

Pezking

Why was P4A region locked? I always assumed it was to benefit it's europe publishing.

No. It's the same reason why the US version Persona 4 anime on Blu-ray doesn't feature a japanese audio track: They want to stop japanese gamers/viewers from importing the much cheaper american versions.

Since Atlus USA wanted to include the japanese voices in P4A, they had to region lock the game. The UK version of the anime on Blu-ray features the original voices, but that's probably just tolerated because Europe has a different region code than the US/Japan.

So in a nutshell: They did it to increase their profits in Japan.

Dantis

Yeah but that's a faulty logic to use when talking about reverse import being a problem in Japan. Certainly it can be a problem for -certain- titles, but it's really not remotely as big a problem as some people seem to think it is. In the overall scheme of things, it is negligible to the first party.

Yup. I was just saying that's why people think it.

As an aside, games here in the UK are priced much higher than their US counterparts. I don't know a single person who imports games on even a semi-regular basis. It's much easier to just bite the bullet, and buy it locally.

duckroll

No. It's the same reason why the US version Persona 4 anime on Blu-ray doesn't feature a japanese audio track: They want to stop japanese gamers/viewers from importing the much cheaper american versions.

Since Atlus USA wanted to include the japanese voices in P4A, they had to region lock the game. The UK version of the anime on Blu-ray features the original voices, but that's probably just tolerated because Europe has a different region code than the US/Japan.

So in a nutshell: They did it to increase their profits in Japan.

That's all perception though. I mean I agree that all those things might have influenced the executive decision to do what they did, but the reality is that it had zero impact on profits. Then again, people making bad decisions in business which hurt consumers happens all the time, so whatever. Lol.

I noticed this with P4A itself, before it even came here you could find it for something like $60 on the right sites. Probably further reinforces my point there's some idiots with their heads stuck in the sand making the calls.

That is almost certain.

Don't forget about the hardware side of region locking. Nintendo is a lot touchier about how they sell their hardware then companies like Sony or Microsoft. Got to discourage people shopping abroad (imported console means no retail shopping) so they can keep local prices up.

As an aside, games here in the UK are priced much higher than their US counterparts. I don't know a single person who imports games on even a semi-regular basis. It's much easier to just bite the bullet, and buy it locally.

Must be a regional thing...or we are just cheap buggers down here.

Shahed

Because Atlus didn't like their strong fan-driven reputation.

Seriously. For a company that relies so heavily on word of mouth advertising, annoying of their fan base is the worst thing they can do. Already decided not to buy Arena when it comes here like I would have. I'll just Lovefilm it or something.

And to people who say buy another platform from the region you want games from? A company does something that aggravates me and limits my options in a way that will prevent me from playing a lot of games I want. And the solution is to reward them by buying duplicate goods? No thanks, I'll just wait till it's hacked.

Nintendo decided on region locking, and while I hate pirates, frankly I feel no sympathy for them that disabling region locking will lead to piracy. They brought it on themselves in my eyes

Eusis

That's all perception though. I mean I agree that all those things might have influenced the executive decision to do what they did, but the reality is that it had zero impact on profits. Then again, people making bad decisions in business which hurt consumers happens all the time, so whatever. Lol.
It's probably also execs in areas that have this mentality. I doubt it was just Index wanting to do this, it's probably whoever handles the VA contracts and whatnot given the P4 anime's issues with blu-ray, and the fact these sorts of issues seem to be VERY common with anime on blu-ray, whether it's a heavily delayed release, a grossly overcharged one, or something like cutting the VA. There's really not as much reason to do this sort of crap with games, it's not like they charge around 10 times roughly for the same amount of content we get here!
Nintendo decided on region locking, and while I hate pirates, frankly I feel no sympathy for them that disabling region locking will lead to piracy. They brought it on themselves in my eyes
Despite how stupid/frustrating the region lock is I'm still against having it hacked open. It sucks to have to resort to buying a duplicate system just for the games, but handhelds outside of Japan seem to be in a precarious state, especially the kinds of games that hit them. I'm afraid opening the flood gates could actually outright kill or at least severely stunt many of these smaller companies rather than merely bruise Nintendo a bit. Maybe if I was more confident they'd survive I'd be fine, it's not like I'd be worried about the piracy rates on a game like Call of Duty because with those numbers you'd be thriving pretty well.

Well, piracy is a cloudy subject period, but I'd prefer erring on the side of "the companies/genres survive", which isn't as much of an issue for the bigger third parties typically.

I order a lot of games from the UK, because they are in general much cheaper than other EU prizes. Even with shipping on top. And actually a lot of people do that. And UK prizes aren't "much higher than the US" ones from what I know.

duckroll

It's probably also execs in areas that have this mentality. I doubt it was just Index wanting to do this, it's probably whoever handles the VA contracts and whatnot given the P4 anime's issues with blu-ray, and the fact these sorts of issues seem to be VERY common with anime on blu-ray, whether it's a heavily delayed release, a grossly overcharged one, or something like cutting the VA. There's really not as much reason to do this sort of crap with games, it's not like they charge around 10 times roughly for the same amount of content we get here!

Removing a Japanese track from an anime release is not common at all though. In fact, it is almost unheard of. When it happens, it's usually for very unique reasons. Delayed releases and higher prices are different problems related to the anime business itself, and not so much anything to do with VAs. It should also be noted that unlike games, anime is a very, very small market. Both in and out of Japan, the number of people actually paying for anime on average is really low. So prices tend to get inflated as a result, which makes it even less accessible for growth. Vicious cycle.

Danj

I really want to know where these 60 buck and 70 buck estimates are coming from. It's like people here don't even know what buying games in Japan is REALLY like. :p

Maybe they're basing their estimates on what places like Play-Asia or Yesasia charge?

I know I'd love to see the region lock defeated because I now own a UK 3DS XL (and I have my code for free Layton tomorrow) and really want to get SRW UX when it comes out in the next few months.

Eusis

Removing a Japanese track from an anime release is not common at all though. In fact, it is almost unheard of. When it happens, it's usually for very unique reasons. Delayed releases and higher prices are different problems related to the anime business itself, and not so much anything to do with VAs. It should also be noted that unlike games, anime is a very, very small market. Both in and out of Japan, the number of people actually paying for anime on average is really low. So prices tend to get inflated as a result, which makes it even less accessible for growth. Vicious cycle.
Yeah, I guess Index can't be fully factored out, but it does seem many companies are trying different things in order to get the results they want: getting Japanese viewers to pay the higher prices while getting sales at all in the US. It seems to have been a bigger mistake lumping US and Japan together for blu-ray than they imagined, probably LOOKED sensible enough when neither country spoke the same language until they realized that didn't matter with subtitles and people WANTING that other audio track anyway.

Dantis

I order a lot of games from the UK, because they are in general much cheaper than other EU prizes. Even with shipping on top. And actually a lot of people do that. And UK prizes aren't "much higher than the US" ones from what I know.

Games in the UK are expensive on day 1, and depreciate fairly quickly. On day 1, our prices are a lot higher than the US equivalent, particularly when it comes to handheld games. Vita games are generally priced between 35 and 40 pounds, whereas in the US, they're $40 as standard. This is a pretty big difference.

Maybe they're basing their estimates on what places like Play-Asia or Yesasia charge?

Am I invisible? I said this exact same thing twenty minutes ago. You even quoted the same websites, haha!

This is a false conclusion IMO, and if I would get two bucks for everytime I read it here I would be able to buy a 3DS from every region. It's based on the idea that the hackers are some sort of white knight, which only goal is to safe the world from evil Nintendo region locking empire.

Stuff gets hacked as soon as they manage to hack it. Looking for a justification is rather pointless.

This is a false conclusion IMO, and if I would get two bucks for everytime I read it here I would be able to buy a 3DS from every region. It's based on the idea that the hackers are some sort of white knight, which only goal is to safe the world from evil Nintendo region locking empire.

Stuff gets hacked as soon as they manage to hack it. Looking for a justification is rather pointless.

I don't think that is necessarily true. There are plenty of people who will hack something for just those idealistic reasons, albeit typically in countries were it snows a lot and there might not be much else to do.

However effectively you are correct, because once hacked people will dive right in to make a buck out of it (by saving money or selling flash carts or the like). The question is just who gets there first, but the result is the same.

Dantis

You're missing the point.

The hack was inevitable. Hackers hack things. They would have hacked it regardless, and lets be honest, they don't give a damn if I can play SMT4. Nothing altruistic about it.

However, where there's support for these hackers, there would be (And should be!) hate. I am 100% against piracy. I don't even download game OSTs, I import the physical media. But because of the region lock, here I am cheering for the hackers, hoping that they can get in there and kill the region lock.

THIS is what Nintendo have brought on themselves.

Shahed

Oh I'm not on about hacker's justification at all. They hack anything they can, regardless of motivation. I'm talking about me personally. If the system was not region locked, I would want it to stay hack free throughout the course of it's lifetime.

I don't pirate. I don't homebrew. I don't even store or play 'backups' of my own games. I just want to play games. And when I see a game that I can't play due to a certain block, I want something done to remove said block even if it leads to something that's unfortunate. If it never existed in the first place. I'd wish a system well in remaining hack proof forever.

I'd normally be against said hackers. As it is, I want them to succeed

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I think they're just going off the RRP, which is what naughty importers like Play Asia and YesAsia use.

It's good that the region lock can be removed. How is that not good?
Region unlock is awesome. I just didn't like what I felt he was implying with his post. (That piracy rates on the 3ds would go way up)

Note that I am separating imported titles from piracy. I don't consider playing games from other regions piracy, I consider downloading games piracy. Huge difference.

The hack was inevitable. Hackers hack things. They would have hacked it regardless, and lets be honest, they don't give a damn if I can play SMT4. Nothing altruistic about it.

However, where there's support for these hackers, there would be (And should be!) hate. I am 100% against piracy. I don't even download game OSTs, I import the physical media. But because of the region lock, here I am cheering for the hackers, hoping that they can get in there and kill the region lock.

I get you and I hate region locking as much as the next guy. The question is if you, as a customer and consumer/lover of games are willing to pay the price for your new region free device. Because piracy is an inevitable bi-product of a hacked console.

The question should be first what brings the hack to us (besides region free), not what it brings to Nintendo.

But I'll try to stop/leave this argument at this point. I got banned for two weeks a month ago for getting into the same argument when there were news that the WiiU was already hacked. Reason was "Homebrew = Piracy Nonsense"...

Tenki

No. If the system was region-free, people would be cheering for homebrew, and saying things like "Nintendo deserved this because now I can watch a full movie in 3D in my console, fuck you Nintendo for not having this option before" and so.

And where I live this is even worse. People are cheering and planning on buying a 3DS because they can now pirate games.

Shahed

No. If the system was region-free, people would be cheering for homebrew, and saying things like "Nintendo deserved this because now I can watch a full movie in 3D in my console, fuck you Nintendo for not having this option before" and so.

And where I live this is even worse. People are cheering and planning on buying a 3DS because they can now pirate games.

You've missed the point as well. There will always be hackers, and there will always be people wanting to do something else other then what was intended on a platform.

What me and Dantis are saying is that in our case, if a system was region free, then we personally would have no interest in the whole hacking affair. We'd want no hacking to take place.

Remove as much motivation for people to want the system hacked as possible. And as for the homebrew and whatever else, there are better alternative options than the 3DS. For 3DS games, this is it

'Nintendo had this coming' implies a bit more than that, me thinks.

The implication is that they region locked a hand held console, something that annoys a lot of people.

Other vendors, well really just sony at the moment, made the Vita region free hence a difference.

duckroll

I think people who are only interested in coming into the thread to "defend" Nintendo against perceived acts of injustice in comments by other people need to just chill and reflect on the fact that it should mean nothing to you.

The discussion here is about the 3DS getting hacked. :)

How does nintendo differ from any of the other console vendors in this regard?
Well, on the 360 region locking works in a per game basis.
Until P4A, the PS3 was region-free, period. Now it's also on a per game basis.
And the Vita only allows one account at a time per system, but it is region-free.

Every manufacturer more or less gives you some amount of choise except for Nintendo. It goes as far as to have region locked peripherals.

Remember the PS3? The first real breakthrough for homebrew only came when Sony removed Linux support from the firmware. I think that is something to think about...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The implication is that they region locked a hand held console, something that annoys a lot of people.
I'm sincerely amused at the idea that somebody entertains the thought that region lock has anything to do with a console getting hacked.
Other vendors, well really just sony at the moment, made the Vita region free.
And that's gonna save it from hacking somehow?

OniShiro

Banned
I'm sincerely amused at the idea that somebody entertains the thought that region lock has anything to do with a console getting hacked.

It won't but they are not alienating the customers who don't care about piracy and just want to be able to play games that will never be released on their regions.

Well, on the 360 region locking works in a per game basis.
Until P4A, the PS3 was region-free, period. Now it's also on a per game basis.
And the Vita only allows one account at a time per system, but it is region-free.

Every manufacturer more or less gives you some amount of choise except for Nintendo. It goes as far as to have region locked peripherals.

Remember the PS3? The first real breakthrough for homebrew only came when Sony removed Linux support from the firmware. I think that is something to think about...

CMIIW but 3DS also have one game that region free isn't it? Green lantern ... if that true then is up to developer, then 3DS is also per game basis?

Kokonoe

Banned
I find it funny...and sad that this will be the thing that makes make GBA games playable finally.

I really just don't understand why Nintendo doesn't do more with these systems, it's almost as if there is some secret curse preventing them. I mean, anyone with common sense would see that putting more games on the eshop, especially other VC ones that are already ready to go and people adore would be a no brainer.

Sony removed the Other OS because hackers were getting into the system through backdoors that feature offered IIRC. Lets not mix up cause and consequence here.

Dantis

The question is if you, as a customer and consumer/lover of games are willing to pay the price for your new region free device. Because piracy is an inevitable bi-product of a hacked console.

I am. 100%. I guarantee that region lock won't affect me or the games that I play.

Are you guys even reading the topic, or are you just shooting from the hip?

They would have still been hacked. It's inevitable. The thing is, because of the region lock, people like myself are happy with the hack, when we should be resenting it.

To try and steer back on topic, how hard are we expecting it to be to hack this once it's all done? I've only ever hacked my Wii, and that was astoundingly easy. I feel like the 3DS will likely be more work.

If the 3DS is hacked and I can play games from other regions on my 3DS, it is good for me. If Nintendo doesn't like it, they can suck it up.
Sure that helps a lot to make people understand your point...

Region locking bothers a minority and making other regions games being playable opens the gate of piracy for a way bigger population...
Also, you know that many of your beloved imported games are pirated so when do you think you'll have the US or EU version if it doesn't sell well because of piracy...

I agree Nintendo should change this, at least on portable systems but making illegal things dorsn't help your cause.
I like homebrew a lot and I participate to the "bad" things I'm saying but I'm not praising it too much because I know all the bad piracy is doing to the industry.

The saddest thing is that like in the music indistry, things won't change until console makers and devs are obliged to... no region locking, no online DRM, reduced digital prices, easier independant games/software intergation and after release free dlc for new games, these five things would really make things better and hacking would be only justified for piracy so they could focus on that without having their core market yelling after them.

I think people who are only interested in coming into the thread to "defend" Nintendo against perceived acts of injustice in comments by other people need to just chill and reflect on the fact that it should mean nothing to you.

Ok I'm out. Actually you're right this won't affect me.

duckroll

I really just don't understand why Nintendo doesn't do more with these systems, it's almost as if there is some secret curse preventing them. I mean, anyone with common sense would see that putting more games on the eshop, especially other VC ones that are already ready to go and people adore would be a no brainer.

Nintendo is simply not familiar with the digital distribution business and when they're not familiar with something, it takes them a long time to actually get to understand the market and start to do things which people are already used to on other platforms and mediums.

They were also slow to support discs, slow to support HD, so this is nothing really new. I don't think it's hard to understand why they're so slow to embrace established market standards, considering how they have always felt strongly about establishing new standards on their own instead. They like leading, they don't like following.

It's kinda laughable in some ways, sure, but it's not hard to understand. :)

So is it considered as topic derailment if we think ahead and point out the negative consequences a hack could have for a platform?

blu

It won't but they are not alienating the customers who don't care about piracy and just want to be able to play games that will never be released on their regions.
How does that relate to the subject at hand? Is the hacking of a console an act where the alienated masses gather and focus their will power toward the common goal? Really, how did nintendo have it coming, exactly?

You're missing the point. It's not about being "safe" for hacking.
There will always be pirates who'll want to hack the system to play copies of games. Expecting anything less is pure naivety.
I think it's not worth to alienate your customers, because of a problem that will always exist.

With that said, there's also people who want to do more with the device than what it was originally intended for, and they try to break its limits. It's not uncommon that it's these people who manage to make the breakthroughs that allow piracy. If manufacturers acknowledge this group of people somehow, the effort and motivation to hack the device would greatly be diminished imho.

OniShiro

Banned
How does that relate to the subject at hand? Is the hacking of a console an act where the alienated masses gather and focus their will power toward the common goal? Really, how did nintendo have it coming, exactly?

I meant that the Vita being region free won't save it from being hacked, but at least Sony is not alienating its customers.

duckroll

So is it considered as topic derailment if we think ahead and point out the negative consequences a hack could have for a platform?

As long as you're willing to accept that people will also think ahead and point out that they don't care about the "negative consequences" to a company at the expense of consumer benefit. But then in that case you will see that it becomes a pointless cycle where there is no constructive discussion other than "this is bad!" and "no it isnt" and "yes it is".

Piracy in this case is a bogeyman. It is an abstract concept used by the argument to justify why consumers should "suffer a little bit" for the "greater benefit". The truth is there is no greater benefit. As a 3DS owner, right now I am unable to play Japanese games on my US 3DS. After it has been hacked to break the region lock, I will be able to play Japanese games on my US 3DS.

I do not expect the 3DS market to collapse and die after it has been hacked, because the DS market did not collapse and die after R4s were manufactured everywhere.

I play lots of PC games, which are the easiest to be pirated anywhere, and yet the market does not seem to have collapsed and died either.

The 360 was hacked and piracy was rampant long before the Wii or PS3 were hacked, yet it remains the strongest platform worldwide.

Last of all, Smartphones are also regularly jail broken shortly after release, and there's a ton of piracy there too. Yet if you ask any smartphone user if they feel that a device getting hacked has a negative impact on them, they would look at you like you were crazy.

So yeah.

blu

I meant that the Vita being region free won't save it from being hacked, but at least Sony is not alienating its customers.
I think people missed (or chose to ignore) the conversation:

Poster X: 'Good, nintendo had it coming.'
Poster Y: 'How do nintendo differ from any of the other vendors in this regard?'
Poster Z: 'Because region lock'.

Nobody sees the above as slightly amusing? Not one bit?

duckroll

Poster Y: 'How do nintendo differ from any of the other vendors in this regard?'

Poster duckroll: 'What the fuck are you talking about?!'

Shahed

You have 2 guys. One guy punches the other because that's what he does.

Now in one scenario the guy who gets punched didn't do anything. When he gets punched you feel sorry for him since he never did anything wrong. You feel as if you'd defend him

In the other scenario the guy who got punched was acting like a prat and annoying the other man needlessly. When he gets punched you don't feel sympathy.

Now the guy gets punched either way, but in one instance you feel would emphathise with him and would defend he did no wrong. In the other you feel he may have even deserved it for acting like that. You could say he had it coming

Dantis

This isn't what happened.

Did you actually read the conversation at all?

duckroll

Now in one scenario the guy who gets punched didn't do anything. When he gets punched you feel sorry for him since he never did anything wrong. You feel as if you'd defend him

In the other scenario the guy who got punched was acting like a prat and annoying the other man needlessly. When he gets punched you don't feel sympathy.

Now the guy gets punched either way, but in one instance you feel emphathise and would defend he did no wrong. In the other you feel he may have even deserved it for acting like that. You could say he had it coming

Somehow I feel the only people getting punched right now are the ones who can't play import games. Lol.

People are answering your questions. Maybe the answers you got are not what you're expecting?

Now the guy gets punched either way, but in one instance you feel emphathise and would defend he did no wrong. In the other you feel he may have even deserved it for acting like that. You could say he had it coming

Good example, although either way often somebody getting punched can be kind of funny...

In response to Duckroll above, I think the main difference between the 360/PS3/PC/phone and 3DS "hacked" situations is a successful digital distribution service. When you have a big investment in games through the itunes store or PSN or whatever, it would be a pretty big call to hack your device to pirate and risk losing it all. I'm not too sure Nintendo have that just yet? Making the eshop actually worth going into might be a good idea at some stage.

(Sure the hardcore will buy multiple consoles or whatever, but I guess that is not such a huge number that will cause massive problems)

hopefully nintendo patch and block this exploit before it catches on with the masses, some of you may be salivating at the thought of region free but if it even brings a whiff of piracy to the system then these hackers should be ashamed

I'm sure someone would have been attempting to hack the 3DS even if it was region free, but I'm a contemptful bastard. Serves Nintendo right. They should not have made a handheld region locked. It went against the very 'portable' nature of handheld consoles which pretty much THEY started. Get too greedy, and the shit hits the fan.

Top Bottom