• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM scores (Issue 221)

Darunia said:
Damn, those scores for Dracula X Chronicles are pretty high, didn't expect two 8's and a 9.
I'm surprised Shane scored it higher than JP. Parish is quite the SotN freak. Hell, Drac X is the reason I'm getting a PSP next month.

egmfan89

He Wants Chalupas said:
I'm surprised Shane scored it higher than JP. Parish is quite the SotN freak. Hell, Drac X is the reason I'm getting a PSP next month.

What, those great Star Wars scores don't make you want to pick it up for that alone?

mysticstylez said:
There is a lot of justification.

You can't get off your board, getting off your board would make it better to get to certain spots.

Camera angle doesn't give you the best view of whats in front of you, .

Some tricks require movements so similar to others that it's hard to pull them off (curse you 360 Nollie)

Pedestrians that are blind and deaf, cause they sure as hell don't move if they see you or hear you coming.

skate.reel is a fuckin mess, that doesn't work half the time.

those are small hitches in an otherwise amazing game. those justify an 8 or 9, not a 6.5

skate is in no way a mediocre game.

traveler said:
What? Viva Pinata was my favorite 360 game up until Bioshock's release. I think it's honestly Rare's best game since the original Banjo Kazooie. (But I was never a big Perfect Dark or Goldeneye player. :p)

I own Viva too, but I'm saying this from Microsoft's standpoint. It just makes sense to sell VP, which could very well be a valuable asset on the Wii, where the majority of VP's target demographic exists.

And my bad on assuming Rare was making Party. : /

derder

mysticstylez said:
There is a lot of justification.

You can't get off your board, getting off your board would make it better to get to certain spots.
Camera angle doesn't give you the best view of whats in front of you, .

Some tricks require movements so similar to others that it's hard to pull them off (curse you 360 Nollie)

Pedestrians that are blind and deaf, cause they sure as hell don't move if they see you or hear you coming.

skate.reel is a fuckin mess, that doesn't work half the time.

So THAT'S your justification for a 6.5? I noticed how you only focused on the negatives. You know, you missed the whole part of it revolutionizing the control and feel of this genre.

It doesn't take long to learn to play. You get better at it, akin to real skateboarding, and at about 10 hours, you should be able to land the trick you want, when you want.

Pedestrians are like that in real life, I don't know if you've actually ever skated in a downtown setting, but they really act like that. If you don't want them there, you can take them out in freeskate. Turning it into another game... Oh yeah, Tony hawk. This is extra immersion, if you don't want it, turn it off.

skate.reel took me 15 minutes to set up. It has not failed me once.

I really don't know what else to say. You can sit here and preach your ignorance and inabilities all day. Just don't give it an amazing game a bullshit score.

But I don't think that anyone is going to see his review and not buy it, so this is moot.

Zep

Banned
hey EGMFan...would it be possible for you to type up the Live '08 review? If not, the good/bad sidebar would be fine.

egmfan89 said:
What, those great Star Wars scores don't make you want to pick it up for that alone?
Hah! 6, 7, and 6 aren't exactly stellar numbers. But I am most definitely going to get the Vaderstation pack anyway. Too awesome/nerdy to pass up on.

derder said:
So THAT'S your justification for a 6.5? I noticed how you only focused on the negatives. You know, you missed the whole part of it revolutionizing the control and feel of this genre.

It doesn't take long to learn to play. You get better at it, akin to real skateboarding, and at about 10 hours, you should be able to land the trick you want, when you want.

Pedestrians are like that in real life, I don't know if you've actually ever skated in a downtown setting, but they really act like that.

skate.reel took me 15 minutes to set up. It has not failed me once.

I really don't know what else to say. You can sit here and preach your ignorance and inabilities all day. Just don't give it an amazing game a bullshit score.

But I don't think that anyone is going to see his review and not buy it, so this is moot.

Go read the skate thread, I'm not the only one who gripes about certain tricks, and pedestrians getting in the way. Also if skate.reel never failed you, then congratulations my friend cauase a crapload of people can't get it to work.

egmfan89

Big Zep said:
hey EGMFan...would it be possible for you to type up the Live '08 review? If not, the good/bad sidebar would be fine.

Yeah, I'll do good/bad, then I'm actually gonna read the issue : D.

The Good: Low post play
The bad: takes no chances with the gameplay
Don't bother: slam dunk contest (That makes me sad, I used to love that)

Also, Robert Ashley wrote the SR 2 story, so I may read it now.

egmfan89

He Wants Chalupas said:
Hah! 6, 7, and 6 aren't exactly stellar numbers. But I am most definitely going to get the Vaderstation pack anyway. Too awesome/nerdy to pass up on.

Yeah man, I was joking. I loved BF 1 and 2, but this one sounds pretty lame to me.

derder

mysticstylez said:
Go read the skate thread, I'm not the only one who gripes about certain tricks, and pedestrians getting in the way. Also if skate.reel never failed you, then congratulations my friend cauase a crapload of people can't get it to work.

I have regularly visited that thread. It takes practice to learn the tricks and do them consistently. The pedestrians can get in the way. skate.reel never failed me because I just used the instructions.

None of this makes it worth 25% less than the other scores. You're missing the point.

This is what makes it not a perfect 10.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Blablurn said:
woah, the fifa demo was pretty aweful...

Not going to slam FIFA, although I wasn't a huge fan of the demo, but let's remember that U.S. press reviews of futbol/soccer/football/worldball are pretty superficial and not really directed at the hardcore football crowd. I just don't have the time to give FIFA a whirl past playing the demo, but I'm certainly not surprised that it's roughly as decent as 07.

egmfan89

sk3tch said:
EGM = legit
Play = garbage

I subscribe to both. Sorry if your opinion differs. I just like the pretty pictures in Play...their reviews are near-worthless.

You are wrong, their Sonic 360 score of 9.5 or whatever was spot on.

ram

Jtyettis said:
Ding, Ding, Ding

MS makes a smart move this generation. I'll assume with that they have locked up the sequel or prequel for that matter.

yeah - timed exclusive... the game will see the light of birth on ps3 - with additional content (now found in the GotY xbox360 edition too). but yeah, i can live with it :)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
sk3tch said:
EGM = garbage
Play = shit
Game Informer = somewhere in-between
Fixed, this magazines are only good for information and in EGM's case, rumors.

Dante

sk3tch said:
EGM = legit
Play = garbage

I subscribe to both. Sorry if your opinion differs. I just like the pretty pictures in Play...their reviews are near-worthless.

I'd put them both on the same level. I actually prefer the writing in PLAY. Yeah their scores are....Odd, and I don't think Halversons ever seen a game he hasn't liked, but can you really say they dont't have good articles, and write-ups?

traveler

Not Wario
Captain Glanton said:
<please be true, please be true>

Also, am I the only one surprised at the lack of buzz about R & C right now? It could be one of the best games in a packed Holiday season.

I would be pretty excited for it could I but afford a PS3. Sadly, it will have to wait until I pick one up for MGS4 and LBP. (Or I'll have to bum off a bud that owns a PS3 to play it.)

FIFA 08 purchase confirmed (j/k, was already buying). I wonder how much the "Be A Pro" mode influenced the final score.

I played the demo recently and was pleasantly surprised. Even moreso when I turned off all the assists.

sk3tch

shidoshi said:
Yeah... well... so is your mom.

Touché. :lol

Dante said:
I'd put them both on the same level. I actually prefer the writing in PLAY. Yeah their scores are....Odd, and I don't think Halversons ever seen a game he hasn't liked, but can you really say they dont't have good articles, and write-ups?

I won't say they're bad. I will say I regret buying a 2 year subscription based on a friend's recommendation. I don't think I will renew.

I subscribe to pretty much every U.S. game mag, and I love it when the new EGM arrives. It's just my favorite mag. Opinions differ, I realize that.

FrankT

ram said:
yeah - timed exclusive... the game will see the light of birth on ps3 - with additional content (now found in the GotY xbox360 edition too). but yeah, i can live with it :)

Not according to Qman;

Also, those rumors of Bioshock coming to the Playstation 3? Scrap ‘em; apparently, the incredible success of 2K Games new IP on the Xbox 360 and (PC) means Microsoft has snatched the rights to keep Rapture on their hardware. The additional content originally planned for the better-late-than-never PS3 version may show up in the Game of the Year edition or downloadable content on Xbox Live.

MS was smart to do such.

Scotch

Fifa 08(PS3/360): 9 (Todd), 9 (John), 8 (Andrew P.)-Game of the Month (Tie)
Skate (PS3/360): 9 (Nick), 8 (Jennifer), 6.5 (Todd)
I don't know who Todd is but he's full of shit.

Also, EGM doesn't know shit about football.

Gigglepoo

Dante said:
6.5 for skate? Really? Man I got way different taste then that dude.

Skate is a really hard game. Very different than anything else. It's not a shock that it will polarize reviewers. Did you see Nick's 1up review? He loved the damn thing like a golden baby.

Lakitu

st5fu
Outdoor Miner said:
FIFA 08 purchase confirmed (j/k, was already buying). I wonder how much the "Be A Pro" mode influenced the final score.

I played the demo recently and was pleasantly surprised. Even moreso when I turned off all the assists.

Yeah the game feels so much better without passing assists.

I can't wait since this game has literally all the available leagues while last years had only 5. MLS, Brazilian Campeonato Brasileiro, Portuguese BWINLIGA, Eredivisie here I come :d

FrankT

AltogetherAndrews said:
Didn't Ken Levine himself say as much? That there was an actual deal in place there?

There was definitely a deal in place for Bioshock. The question that many people still had was, timed or not. Many believed it was merely a timed exclusivity deal. This seems to suggest the time exclusivity is now totally off the table and I would go as far to say that MS locked in the next one.

egmfan89 said:
Funny that they posted the rumors today of all days, I guess they figured people already had it after I posted it. That's weird though, usually they wait a week to post the rumors on 1up.

Oh, and more rumors in a box I forgot about:

a new black
new blitz the league
jet moto update

Might as well get their own clicks, right? And Black 2, that could be hot.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
ram said:

I really hope the game does come to PS3 but how can you be so sure? If anything this new news seems to suggest it's a total Microsoft exclusive franchise.

Amir0x

Banned
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGRE
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTLE
TEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

NEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

STRATEEEEEEEEEEEEGY

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME

MANGOD, I BESEECH YOU! IF THIS NEWS BE FALSE, MY UNHOLY PENIS OF DOOM SHALL DESCEND UPON YOU

I3rand0 said:
Yeah I haven't played a Ratchet game since 3 but that make sense. Still, if thats all they said, it's pretty vague/cliche/poorly written.

Yeah, Ratchet Deadlocked (Beat it yesterday) is almost a pure shooter. The final boss is awesome and the combat is fun, but it's shorter than 3. And not quite as fun. Still funny though.

Captain Glanton said:
<please be true, please be true>

Also, am I the only one surprised at the lack of buzz about R & C right now? It could be one of the best games in a packed Holiday season.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm stoked. But yeah, you'd think Sony would be pushing it more, especially with how good it looks.

Top Bottom