• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Award GOTY Nominees

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Some people in this thread missed the point why zelda botw will be goty so hard xD

B b b but graphics!!!
Botw is a beautiful game with a stellar art direction.

It did, it took the open world approach to 3D in grand fashion, but I thought that strength became a weakness as the novelty of the world wore off. The lack of enemy variety, their numbers and their simple AI routines didn't do the game much justice, an example being bokoblin archers that can't hit you at all when you place yourself right under their nose, no attempt made to reposition themselves.

It's important to note that I'm not trying to suggest BotW didn't do anything new, far from it, I just don't think it delivers the complete package quite as well as other games nor is it doing anything to move the medium forward. It's my personal favorite on the list (I'm probably well past 100 hours invested), just not the one I think deserves this particular award.

It can be, especially in today's world where people will find almost any excuse to feel outraged. I guess the open world didn't impress me as much as it did most others because I've poured ridiculous amounts of time into other open world games like FFXI, RDR and the GTA series, so I have a certain expectation that anyone choosing to go that route will have learned lessons from all the games that came before. Pitting a bokoblin against a Hinox or cucco against a Lynel was fun to watch the first time around, but after years of pitting NPC against NPC with much more interesting results in Liberty City and Los Santos it's hard for me to say BotW was doing anything all that remarkable.

Fair enough, appreciate your response. We shall agree to disagree!

LoSnupo

PUBG in and no Divinity 2 or Nier?
An early access game full of bugs, glitches and cheaters over a great fantastic RPG like Divinity 2 or a visionary game like Nier?
Lol,

Blam

An early access game full of bugs, glitches and cheaters over a great fantastic RPG like Divinity 2 or a visionary game like Nier?
Lol,

Clearly it's not there because of the game but because of the impact it has had on the entire industry.

Lol,

I wouldn't call Nier visionary, and while I agree Div 2 should be on the list, PUBG is still the bigger contender here. This game is changing the industry in ways we can't even grasp yet.

darkziosj

Clearly it's not there because of the game but because of the impact it has had on the entire industry.

I still don't get why that game is so popular, ARMA,H1Z1 and the old DAY Z already did what that game does, what you mean by impact?

Blam

I still don't get why that game is so popular, ARMA,H1Z1 and the old DAY Z already did what that game does, what you mean by impact?

It's now made both Epic Games, and Crytek make a Battle Royale mode, and countless other indie games as well.

No clue who else out of the big players like EA, Microsoft, Sony, Activision are also working on a BR mode.

It has single handedly pushed past multiple huge players in the market on twitch and everywhere else beating them out easily with their massive daily user count.

Toni

Horizon over Divinity is a real shame, and shows how poor peoples tastes truly are.

Nah, not at all. What sort of backwards statement to make is that lol.

There are a lot of people that like Horizon over divinity.

Horizon's entirely a new Ip, it deserves to be up there and more.

FrostyLemon

Both games obviously include characters, they include non-interactive cutscenes for relaying story, they include writing, and they include voice acting; you're trying to give them a pass because they don't do a great job at any of these things, but the fact remains that they try to include them.

That's just not correct, the site says that GotY means "Recognizing a game that delivers the absolute best experience across all creative and technical fields," not "which game was the best to play." Story, voice acting, writing, characters and technical graphics all fall under "creative and technical fields" so they need to be included in the criteria; again, you're trying to use your own definition because Nintendo is far behind the industry in these areas. Even still, Horizon has better combat since the weapons don't constantly break, and more unique enemy design too.

It seems silly to claim that a game can lose on story, graphics, characters, writing, combat, enemy design, voice acting, sound, animation, microtransactions (Horizon has none, while you need ridiculously expensive Amiibo toys to see everything in BotW), and performance (fps steadiness), but should still be considered GotY because you can climb vertical surfaces with nothing to hold on to, pull a paraglider out of your butt in mid air, and collect hundreds of trinkets that literally reward you with a piece of poop.

Horizon may have good voice acting and lore etc but it's missing out on a lot of things that Zelda does.

There is zero reason to explore Horizon's world unless you want story snippets. The world is totally dead, all the towns you visit have nothing in them, invisible walls all over the joint, cant go in houses. You can't talk to NPCs in towns as they all have generic names and are basically robots to make it look like it's full. All of that gorgeous scenery and it's totally inaccessible. In BOTW within the parameters of the world, everything you can see you can go to. If I want to climb up a mountain I can, heck if I even want to climb up a small wall to get above enemies I can. Breath of the Wild has vertical and horizontal exploration, Ironically Horizon only works on a horizontal plane and the roads take you off the grid to get higher. Its exploration is totally limited and Its open world design is dated. It shouldn't have even been an open world game because it doesn't take advantage of the genre at all.

The physics engine in Breath of the Wild kicks the shit out of Horizon. Watch this guy's comparison videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVPXKdSEGNQ

For a world so pretty, it sure is dead!

I can go on, but I'll leave it at that for now.

Spukc

Horizon may have good voice acting and lore etc but it's missing out on a lot of things that Zelda does.

There is zero reason to explore Horizon's world unless you want story snippets. The world is totally dead, all the towns you visit have nothing in them, invisible walls all over the joint, cant go in houses. You can't talk to NPCs in towns as they all have generic names and are basically robots to make it look like it's full. All of that gorgeous scenery and it's totally inaccessible. In BOTW within the parameters of the world, everything you can see you can go to. If I want to climb up a mountain I can, heck if I even want to climb up a small wall to get above enemies I can. Breath of the Wild has vertical and horizontal exploration, Ironically Horizon only works on a horizontal plane and the roads take you off the grid to get higher. Its exploration is totally limited and Its open world design is dated. It shouldn't have even been an open world game because it doesn't take advantage of the genre at all.

The physics engine in Breath of the Wild kicks the shit out of Horizon. Watch this guy's comparison videos.

I think you have proven your point.
People go HAM when someone states nintendo makes a good looking game

cuate

Banned
I honestly think persona should win GOTY Nintendo is doing great as a company but nothing worth GOTY status

Two of the highest rated games of all time aren't goty worthy? huh.

Second video is even better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEGWtyJAkO0

edit: lmao @ 2:32

Fuz

Banned

Oh wow.
I can't believe the water in horizon.

Anyway, different games, different design, different art direction, different console hardware... makes absolutely ZERO sense comparing them for their graphic engine.

Spukc

Oh wow.
I can't believe the water in horizon.

Anyway, different games, different design, different art direction, different console hardware... makes absolutely ZERO sense comparing them for their graphic engine.
Games are pretty simmilair imo.
Botw world is just more alive

Own both games and i dropped horizon when botw came out.

Could never return after botw tbh.
I hope skyrim is better on the switch

Gitaroo

I have zero interest in exploring BOTW map neither, giant deserted land and getting around is a fucking chore even with fast travel, horse controls like hot garbage. And fuck the rain! Physics engine means nothing to me in gameplay, I am not going to go pick up every arrows I fired.

FrostyLemon

I have zero interest in exploring BOTW map neither, giant deserted land and getting around is a fucking chore even with fast travel, horse controls like hot garbage. And fuck the rain! Physics engine means nothing to me in gameplay, I am not going to go pick up every arrows I fired.

Hang glider. Something is wrong here.

Joe T.

A troll, obviously.

f35ba5fdb8ad428ca5c170df94438e5f_f184ad725ffa45b6a2c84571cfb289b7_1_www_marquee_standard.jpeg

Couldn't resist.

kylekey

Neo Member

And there's zero reason to explore BotW's PS3 graphics world if you're interested in a good story, developed characters, or expecting to hear people talk in a 2017 game, so that's a wash. All of those physics (the climbing animation is terrible and it makes no sense how you can climb sheer vertical surfaces with no handholds, btw) and no reason to care what happens because the enemies are bland, the weapons brittle, the characters silent, and the story cliched.

You prefer trinkets, tissue paper weapons, and physics, I prefer story, characters, voice acting and graphics. Because after working 45 hours a week, the last thing I want to do is feel like I'm wasting my life inchworming a boring protagonist up mountains to roll boulders at generic skeletons so that I can get another sword made from sawdust on my way to the least interesting antagonist in gaming history; I can talk to my wife about a good story--she wouldn't care less about being able to cut grass.

cuate

Banned
And there's zero reason to explore BotW's PS3 graphics world if you're interested in a good story, developed characters, or expecting to hear people talk in a 2017 game, so that's a wash. All of those physics (the climbing animation is terrible and it makes no sense how you can climb sheer vertical surfaces with no handholds, btw) and no reason to care what happens because the enemies are bland, the weapons brittle, the characters silent, and the story cliched.

You prefer trinkets, tissue paper weapons, and physics, I prefer story, characters, voice acting and graphics. Because after working 45 hours a week, the last thing I want to do is feel like I'm wasting my life inchworming a boring protagonist up mountains to roll boulders at generic skeletons so that I can get another sword made from sawdust on my way to the least interesting antagonist in gaming history; I can talk to my wife about a good story--she wouldn't care less about being able to cut grass.

So fucking transparent. Give it a rest.

DKPOWPOW

Zelda should sweep these awards, as good as Odyssey is. A bit of a shame it will probably be overshadowed, but Zelda is amazing.

kylekey

Neo Member
Seriously. I guess the overwhelming positive reviews from every single outlet are all wrong because of "teh graphics!!1"

Gonna be a hard GOTY season for him.

Haha, not that these awards ultimately mean anything, but if you think they do, it must've been a hard fifteen years for you, since there hasn't been a Nintendo exclusive to win overall GotY in that time: https://gotypicks.blogspot.com/

But hey, potential congrats on one out of fifteen! What an accomplishment, haha.

So fucking transparent. Give it a rest.

Uh oh, the naughty language is coming out, you seem a bit upset. You better tone it down, Nintendo wouldn't appreciate your word choice. Nice rebuttal, btw.

Haha, not that these awards ultimately mean anything, but if you think they do, it must've been a hard fifteen years for you, since there hasn't been a Nintendo exclusive to win overall GotY in that time: https://gotypicks.blogspot.com/

But hey, potential congrats on one out of fifteen! What an accomplishment, haha.

Uh oh, the naughty language is coming out, you seem a bit upset. You better tone it down, Nintendo wouldn't appreciate your word choice. Nice rebuttal, btw.

Why would I care about Nintendo exclusives? 😂You're projecting so hard just because everyone is calling you out on your obvious transparent fanboyism by putting down a game you clearly have never played. You're writing essays about how Zelda is so bad and how Horizon is so good when every single gaming outlet, even Sony orientated ones, have given Zelda nothing but high praise, and every single review is literally the opposite of what you're saying.

You can see the insecurity seeping through all your posts; You keep mentioning Nintendo and Zelda nonstop. It makes it seem like just because the majority consensus on every forum is that Zelda is going to steamroll GOTY awards, you're taking it very deep and personal. Newsflash, PUBG and Mario have a bigger chance of winning over Horizon.

These new Juniors springing up with no posts are very bad at trolling 😂😂

Edit: Jesus thay post history. How you've managed to do that with so few posts I'll never know.

seady

I have a feeling Horizon will sneak in and grab a bunch of awards because people are splitting the votes between Zelda and Mario. So many people are swing votes between the two Nintendo games while the Sony’s supports stand still on just one game.

Newk86

GOTY discussion is always awkward for me every year because I've never played every single game in contention. I have an opinion on what I've played but then somebody says "such and such is better" and I kind of just get shot down then because I haven't played it.

I enjoy the time of year though; what with the holidays, and reading about the best of the best. Still fun.

I have a feeling Horizon will sneak in and grab a bunch of awards because people are splitting the votes between Zelda and Mario. So many people are swing votes between the two Nintendo games while the Sony’s supports stand still on just one game.

Nope. I know certain fanboys have mentioned this earlier but despite their deepest wishes, user vote only accounts for a small portion. It's panel based, as been noted from previous years. Otherwise a very small portion of PUBGs user base could vote and still demolish everyone else combined.

FrostyLemon

Most of your criticisms are just snide juvenile remarks, and when peope resort to that it's usually because they don't have any legit criticism. I dunno why you're worried about handholds in a game with talking fish people. There's honeslty nothing that great about Horizon's story, I think the design of the world and the fusion of tribalism and futuristic robotics is awesome, but the story itself and the characters aren't anything to write home about. I mean Aloy has been isolated her whole life, isn't part of the tribe but she has this worldly personality where she comments on tribe life like she's been sent back in time from the modern day. I'm not sure why you rate it so highly.

For me the standout things Horizon does is combat, art and it has good graphics engine, but Bloodborne did all that two years ago to a much higher standard and didn't get game of the year. There's honestly nothing that Horizon has done that hasn't already been done dozens of times before.

This reviewer pretty much shares my criticism of Horizon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tViQ4xTSaJo

Apart from the story which is kind of good when you reach the latter part of the game. But the human NPC AI is one of the wonkiest of all time really and that is not hyperbole. Never seen such rubbish AI in a modern game. Where they get stuck in the enviroment and run backwards up stairs .And just bum rush you when they attack.

The robot fighting isnt very enjoyable either really.

sephiroth7x

It seems silly to claim that a game can lose on story, graphics, characters, writing, combat, enemy design, voice acting, sound, animation, microtransactions (Horizon has none, while you need ridiculously expensive Amiibo toys to see everything in BotW), and performance (fps steadiness), but should still be considered GotY because you can climb vertical surfaces with nothing to hold on to, pull a paraglider out of your butt in mid air, and collect hundreds of trinkets that literally reward you with a piece of poop.

Sorry not to answer so soon, work and life don't permit as much as one would like.

I am not denying that all the points you are stating are relevant in considering a game of the year. And yes, fair play to Horizon for delivering on a lot of what it does. Yes, its graphics/performance is fantastic. Yes its enemy design is also exceptional. And yes, its open world structure is quite good... even if not the greatest.

But for example - The Order 1886 - exceptionally good looking game for its time. Good writing (story was a bit shallow in the end but still), some exceptional sound design, never dropped its framerate at any point, great voice acting.

But was it a good game? No, not really. It was average at best. Horizon is a great game. And yes, to some people may be the GotY. And if it wins... hats off to it.

But if you stripped Horizon back to its core elements, it is just another open world game with a good and well thought out story and that's it. Its ideas and mechanics aren't anything new even if its story and world are. The beauty of BotW is in its subtleties.

Doesn't it strike you as strange that BotW, without its state of the art graphics, no real story, awkward flaws and as you put it, link pulling a paraglider out of his arse, is in the top five games of the year? Do you not understand why it is there?

Nintendo are not about graphics. Nor do they really care about story. They care about their games. And I say this as a Sony man who, don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo and buy their consoles, but their games aren't about realism. Christ... why should there be an explanation why he pulls a paraglider out of nowhere? What does it matter? Does it matter that Clouds sword disappears in FFVII when it isn't in a fight? Does it matter that your character in Fallout is very obviously not carrying around one hundred plates from the last house you ransacked? George Stobbart emptied his pockets in Broken Sword and had a sewer key just tucked away! And Nintendo do not get a free pass with this, its not like people ignore a lack of story (How many times has Peach been kidnapped?) but its not about that... and it never will be...

There is a beautiful sense of whimsy that you get from BotW which I, along with many others it seems, have enjoyed. All your points are valid about Horizon, and I won't ever dissuade anyone from playing or enjoying it. As a technical achievement it is ground breaking and the story and idea is great. It deserves its nominations. But when it boils down to pure gameplay... the feel of the game, how it makes you feel... the enjoyment of the game... I lean more towards BotW... not because it doesn't have voice acting or cinema quality writing... but because its a good game.

Now I admire the strength of your conviction and it is partly the reason why I have answered after so long. I do believe in this case, we play games for very different reasons. Please do not take offense when I say I believe you look at games from a technical viewpoint. Their graphics/sound/script etc. and while these are important in 'certain' games, (certain games being Uncharted/Broken Sword type games) they aren't deal breakers to me. When I boot up Resogun, I am not playing it for the in depth story about a world gone to hell... I play it because I enjoy it... maybe its an age thing? I have played games from the C64 through to now and its a relatively new thing (PS2 onwards?) that story/world building have been a dominant force in the industry... perhaps this is why I lean more indie/retro these days... I enjoy games that are fun even when they are hard (Cuphead for example). So... I am going to stop rambling now...

Velius

Banned
Load up a game with 900 trinkets to collect, even if you only (literally) get a pile of poop as a reward for finding them all, and that's enough for many people. At least all the collectibles in Horizon give you a piece of a story to read, or dialogue to listen to; they all feed into the lore of the world. BotW's approach is not motivation to me, which is why I said "with my taste." You didn't dispute most of what I said though, so again, with my taste, where is the motivation to fight stock skeletons and goblins with weapons that have the durability of tissue paper when I know that the story, characters, voiceacting and writing aren't there? Some of the game mechanics also lack cohesion; rain knocks you down, but you can climb sheer vertical ice with nothing to grab on to.

- The protagonist is silent, with no personality even after thirty years of games, and the antagonist is almost always just evil for the sake of being evil; I don't think it's possible to create flatter characters in fiction than these two.

- The voiceacting is barely there, and what little exists is not high quality; an entire industry, with companies spending millions of dollars getting great actors to read thousands of lines for games nowadays, while Nintendo essentially ignores it entirely, and gets a pass every time.

- Horizon, surprisingly, found a legitimate sci fi reason for robot animals to exist in its world, while BotW goes with a cliched amnesia storyline, and sprinkles in things that don't make sense like blood moon resurrections, yet you still have to invoke alternate worlds to make the story even approach fitting into the official timeline; even if 'anything goes, because magic' wasn't the height of lazy storytelling, re-doing "Link needs to save Zelda/Hyrule from Ganon" again and again is.

And the graphics aren't even close; Horizon pushes the cutting edge of console graphics at a pretty much locked 30fps, even at checkerboard 4K with HDR lighting--while BotW runs at 900p with predictable frame drops, low res textures everywhere, simple geometry and shadows, and little to no anti-aliasing.

These would be valid points if we were talking about cinema.

We're not. I truly wonder when it will click for people- things like top notch graphics and voice acting are good to have. But they're not the makings of a wonderful game. Horizon has better graphics. Horizon has better voice acting.

But BoTW has superior gameplay, level design, world design, exploration design, everything. As a game (which is what these things are) it beats Horizon like it owes it money.

The silent protagonist criticism is about as impotent as they come. Silent protagonists are the best. Link, Gordon Freeman and Samus (until she opened her mouth in OM) are superior protagonists; they've been remembered and lauded for years and will continue to be long after Horizon is forgotten just like Killzone 2, Heavenly Sword, and other titles that were touted as having the cinematic feel.

Additional thought- the nature of these criticisms are really capricious. Gabe and Tycho can elaborate:
215551004_FfCPk-2100x20000.jpg

seady

When I played Zelda I felt it was great but not amazing. But now having played most on that list, the game that stick out the most to me is Zelda. The moment to moment encounter with the major characters in the game were quite memorable.

abracadaver

Only one of these games has sold over 20 million copies and is played by over 5 million people every day. It's not a sequel either.

PUBG deserves to win

vocab

PUBG is not GOTY material. Yes, you can have fun, and enjoy it, but the lack of polish and the amount of bugs the game has is absouletly ridiculous. If that game wins GOTY it's a big slap in the face to the studios that actually polish, and complete their games. It's fucking early access, and studios will think it's okay to ship buggy as fuck games.

Top Bottom