• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Red

Is the trigger for a Blood Moon still unknown to the internet? I need one right now for a Kass shrine.
Was it ever unknown? Kill a bunch of enemies and it will appear. Focus on guardians and overworld minibosses. Two or three Hinox, a Lynel or two. You pick your poison.

dragoncdf

what is the best strategy for the moderate and major test of strength shrines? I found 3 but kept dying so left and marked where them on the map so i know to go back.

N° 2048

When you first see a Dragon and
get the scale out of
sheer curiosity.

This fucking game. I've tossed all games aside for the past two weeks because of BOTW. So so good.

That sense of discovery.

Nameless

60 hours in playing when I can everyday for the past two weeks and I've still have 9-10 regions I haven't set foot in. This is without question the most dense, gloriously overwhelming game I've played maybe ever.

what is the best strategy for the moderate and major test of strength shrines? I found 3 but kept dying so left and marked where them on the map so i know to go back.

Shock arrows stun guardians (and cause damage)
Attack or Speed buff (latter helps you run up to them fast before they recover from the stun, also helpful in dodging their laser attacks)
Equip Master Sword or another strong weapon and spam attack while they're stunned. Two-handed weapons spinning charge attack works great too.

W-00

108 shrines down, including all of the Kass shrines and the dragon scale shrines. Still haven't cleared any of the Divine Beasts. The only shrine I know about that I haven't cleared yet (that I can access) is
Eventide
. Oh, and one in
Akkala
that is obviously underground and I just can't find how to access it. Based on my map, there are suspicious empty areas in
Gerudo (but that's probably because of the Divine Beast and Sand Seal race)
the area around Necluda and Lanayru (which I haven't explored too much because of the constant rain)
Eldin (but that's mostly Death Mountain)
, and
the area between the Ridgeland and the Woodland (which I have explored, but seems like there should be more in it)

How many weapons do you have, and what is their average strength? I generally break at least two weapons in a Major Test of Strength, and that's with them being in the 30-40 power range. If your weapons are too weak and you don't have enough of them to make up for it, you're probably better off just waiting until you have better equipment.

Other than that, upgrading the Stasis rune so you can freeze the enemy, hide behind obstacles when they do the spin attack or fire their charged lasers (in some Major Tests you need to use Cryonis or Magnesis to provide obstacles to hide behind), and, as said above, elemental arrows.

KingBroly

Banned
I guess there's just nothing there for some reason. Just did it myself.

AOTyUOS.jpg

That Korok Seed SUUUUUUUCKED to get on Normal

dragoncdf

What exactly is causing you trouble?

well i found these shrine early. i've only done 14 shrine and have 5 hearts. my strongest weapon is 50 and haven't upgraded stasis.
i have some ice arrows and some shock arrows
basically it seems i cause very little damage and get hit twice which is death. I'm thinking I may have found them too soon. and should go back when i have better weapons.

N° 2048

well i found these shrine early. i've only done 14 shrine and have 5 hearts. my strongest weapon is 50 and haven't upgraded stasis.
basically it seems i cause very little damage and get hit twice which is death. I'm thinking I may have found them too soon. and should go back when i have better weapons.

I had the same issue, went back 40 hours later and got my revenge.

Just go back to it :)

Red

That Korok Seed SUUUUUUUCKED to get on Normal
Did you get a seed for this?? Neither me nor themoon did.
They are totally possible to complete as soon as you leave the Plateau. I finished every combat shrine with only three heart, no champion abilities, no master sword, no upgraded runes. Perhaps you are playing on master mode, in which case it may be more difficult. I haven't tried that. But if you are playing on normal, be persistent, come equipped with enough weapons to last against them, be quick to attack when they settle down for the laser strike. They get put down easy once you do one or two.

Of course, if you don't want to bother with the initial struggle it will certainly be easier once you play a bit more.

Deku Tree

Trigger for Blood Moon is RNG. Chance goes up the more enemies that you kill and the more time that passes. Should happen once every three hours of in game playtime approx.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Did you get a seed for this?? Neither me nor themoon did.

Did you shoot it in using stasis? There's some seeds you get by shooting big boulders into holes using stasis, like a giant game of golf. Gotta get it in one though.

TheMoon

Did you shoot it in using stasis? There's some seeds you get by shooting big boulders into holes using stasis, like a giant game of golf. Gotta get it in one though.

ugh, in one? I shot it into one of the tiny caves next to the hole then pushed it down.

TheMoon

Kind of a generic question, but are there any amino worth buying for BOTW alone?

All they give you is armor and weapons. Link's tunics from the associated game plus an iconic weapon from it. TP Link also spawns Epona as a named horse with max stats. None of it is a big deal and 100% for the coolness of running around as Fierce Deity Link or donning the slightly derpy Skyward Sword tunic/hair.

The most interesting one, gameplay-wise, is still Wolf Link since it gives you a buddy character (that you can level up in TPHD and bring its heart-value over into BotW).

None of it is "omg you must have/use this!" and getting them just for BotW's sake doesn't seem to make much sense unless you're super super into the classic Zelda 1 tunic or want Link to wear Sheik's mask.

N° 2048

Wolf Link and Epona are the most "useful" ones I can think of.
Guardian too for those ancient materials.

Remember you can just change date on console to keep using Amiibo past the one-day limit.

TheMoon

Wolf Link and Epona are the most "useful" ones I can think of.
Guardian too for those ancient materials.

Remember you can just change date on console to keep using Amiibo past the one-day limit.

Or you could just kill Guardians to farm ancient materials and save yourself a bunch of real-world money :D

N° 2048

Or you could just kill Guardians to farm ancient materials and save yourself a bunch of real-world money :D

Oh, for sure, I meant if you're already getting it or have the Amiibo it's one of the more useful ones.
I wouldn't rush out and buy Amiibo just for the in-game items haha

EDIT: I'm dumb, just realized nicoga3000 was asking exactly that lol, my bad, but yea don't buy Amiibo just for items.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh, for sure, I meant if you're already getting it or have the Amiibo it's one of the more useful ones.
I wouldn't rush out and buy Amiibo just for the in-game items haha

EDIT: I'm dumb, just realized nicoga3000 was asking exactly that lol, my bad, but yea don't buy Amiibo just for items.

I would rather not buy for items only. That tag thing seems legit. Does it come with a rewriteable tag out of the box?

So I discovered the Gerudo in Goron City that buys sapphires from you at a higher price. And I already know about the Zora that trades Luminous Stones for diamonds, are there any other notable traders? I have over 200 Ambers I want to get rid of for "buying" the 4th Great Fairy and I want to make sure I don't need them for something else.

Red

So I discovered the Gerudo in Goron City that buys sapphires from you at a higher price. And I already know about the Zora that trades Luminous Stones for diamonds, are there any other notable traders? I have over 200 Ambers I want to get rid of for "buying" the 4th Great Fairy and I want to make sure I don't need them for something else.
I vaguely recall an NPC that buys gems at higher than market price, but who will only do so once a day or who switches what he buys every day or something. I'm sorry that's not very helpful.

Red

No I didn't get a hole in one. I don't think I've ever seen a golf korok seed. I have around 700 now and all the rock-in-hole seeds have allowed multiple attempts. Are you sure about this? The korok mask does not shake in that location.

I just double checked an interactive map, and there is no seed listed for that spot.

Xdrive05

Hey guys, so I just beat the game (after two Divine Beasts), watched the credits, and I don't see a post main quest save. Is that right? There's just a star on the last auto-save before the final boss chamber.

Does that mean to keep playing my main character I have to bail out of the castle with the boss still being "alive", even though I beat it?

Edit: and also the really awesome weapon you get in the last phase of the boss fight is gone now too? WTF?

TheMoon

Hey guys, so I just beat the game (after two Divine Beasts), watched the credits, and I don't see a post main quest save. Is that right? There's just a star on the last auto-save before the final boss chamber.

Does that mean to keep playing my main character I have to bail out of the castle with the boss still being "alive", even though I beat it?

Edit: and also the really awesome weapon you get in the last phase of the boss fight is gone now too? WTF?

Yes.

[whatever location]*

is all you get.

N° 2048

Yea this is why I am doing absolutely everything I want to in the first play-through so I can just put the game away and play it again next year on the Switch.

TheMoon

Welp, that changes things lol

I'll save some exploration for post-Ganon. Appreciate the info, you've been super helpful all the time :)

well the ones you kill should already count, I guess. But the medals themselves and the countdown tracker (along with the helpful completion% stats in general) only appear after.

haikira

Hey guys. Thinking of tackling ganon.

I've got 16 hearts, two and 2/5 stamina bars, and 33 armor. Am I in for a bad time, or would you say it's practical?

EDIT: Just hit the end credits =D

watershed

Banned
I so wish the pro hud would have the hearts dynamically fade in when you're in combat or get hurt. They are the only thing ruining the image.

RedSwirl

Finally beat Ganon after 171 hours of messing around. Wii U version. I didn't get 100% but I played enough to satisfy my curiosity. 111 shrines, something like 400 korok seeds.

I'm already planning out my eventual Switch run though and am wondering if people have already figured out the most "efficient" completionist run. I know there's been a completionist speed run but I just want to efficiently get upgrades/gear.
In my head the tricky part seems to be getting the Desert Voe set as soon as possible. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

--Immediately upon finishing the plateau, get one of the horses just northwest of the plateau and register it at the nearby stable.

--Make my way to Hateno village to get the slate upgraded.

--Try to do the house quest.

--Head to Kakariko for whatever story stuff is there.

--Through there head to Akkala, Tarney Town, and the Akkala lab to finish the slate upgrades.

--Head all the way back west to Rito village to get the coat set and Rivali's power.

--Do the desert next, hopefully able to get the tailor to go to Tarney Town.

--???

Chinbo37

So I beat the master trials yesterday. Felt good. Although I abused those ancient arrows at the end.

I'm not sure I could beat that last room without them.

I can finally put this game away until the next dlc. I've been playing steadily since march.

grimmiq

Finally got a Switch and this a couple of days ago, was never able to get into LoZ games, this one is damn hard to put down. Not very far in, a friend told me I apparently wasn't supposed to
kill the Lynel early on
? I was supposed to stealth around it and collect arrows? I think I'm going to need to do a lot more exploring/gathering/cooking as I just beat
Waterblight
with 3 hearts and only raw materials as food, the sword/bow I got from the above spoiler made pretty quick work of him though.

I so wish the pro hud would have the hearts dynamically fade in when you're in combat or get hurt. They are the only thing ruining the image.

Master Mode adds a Triforce logo in the bottom left corner, even with Pro HUD. It's so tiny though can't say it bothers me.

Speaking of Master Mode, it's incredible how different my play style is here. And I'm still amazed at how beautiful this game is and I'm enjoying every minute of it as if I'm playing it for the first time. I think this world will be looked upon as timeless masterpiece of game design for decades to come.

Deku Tree

Master Mode Ganon is basically a parry simulator. You can parry everything. Hit you parries and you finish quick. Can't parry? Then his health goes all the way back up again. Start over.

Man, I can't get a Star Fragment to spawn. I stood on top of the Dueling Peaks mountain about 8 or 9 times at full moon and it only dropped twice - once into the water and once behind a mountain, each of which I couldn't locate. I thought just looking at the sky should make them spawn? Don't they always spawn on full moon in your field of view?

Red

Master Mode Ganon is basically a parry simulator. You can parry everything. Hit you parries and you finish quick. Can't parry? Then his health goes all the way back up again. Start over.
Can you beat him on normal mode without parrying? I couldn't figure how to damage him once
he puts up the red barrier
. I took the last half off by parrying.

Top Bottom