• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Boyes Confirms: Call of Duty: Ghosts is Native 1080p on PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were referring to the total biscuit situation where he had a unfavorable review taken down because devs made a copyright claim

Oh, Christ. Do you think this means they are going to cut the middle man out? We bitch about game journalism, but do they really need them now? Imagine if all our reviews and previews are from kids with Youtube, Twitch, or Machima accounts from now on. And they'll work for free because they'll get review copies and free shit.

I stopped visiting Francis, aka Boggie's site, because Sony gave him a copy of Duck Tales to review.

Dude this is going to be scary next gen. I think GI might be safe, but everyone else? I would not want to be a professional game journalist right now.

Joco

Kevin Dent posted this a few hours ago:

It's either that or monetization issues like others are suggesting.

I guess. Although it seems like if it's just Sony corporate making a stupid decision about video capturing, then this whole situation is being blown entirely out of proportion by Sessler/Gies/etc...

ironcreed

Banned
900p will look fine, if the settings are still close to Ultra on PS4.

2_1080_copy.png

2_900_copy.png

I think the game looks drab and ugly at any resolution.

Globox_82

Banned
The PS4 had to have a "problem", so they found it. It just so happens to be a "problem" no consumer is going to care about.

So true. But still this should not be happening. Although I really don't get this "problem" and what it really means. Other then it seems Sessler will need to sell his house or something to feed his kids (he makes it sound that way)

That 900p that you posted wasn't that representative of how it would look. Scaling down and back up in photoshop defaults to bi-cubic sampling.

This one is a better fit. I took the 1080p pic and then resized it with the "nearest neighbor" setting to properly show proper upscaling.
Is the scaling algorithm on console hardware scalers more similar to nearest neighbour than bicubic interpolation?

rjinaz

And here's the follow-up I promised:

I can legit tell the difference between the 1080p and 900p images. The 900p image comes across as somewhat blurry when compared. Though I have a feeling I may not be able to pick up on it as easily in game, if at all.

Coxy

whats being said now doesnt fit with earlier statements that there would be ps4 reviews coming in the next weeks but no xbox one reviews

Which is all fair, but why tease/vent about it on twitter?

I'd think you either sort it out behind closed doors, or you blow it up and say "world, this is the issue..."

If it is a crackdown on youtube money, then this only makes sense. It is hard to believe game companies haven't looked at youtube and twitch and wanted to get their own piece of the pie. If EA can make Origin they can make their own controlled streaming service too.

It's completely irresponsible for public figures and anyone with a following to broadcast these vague statements. Especially is such a person is a journalist broadcasting a personalish issue that his readers might think is relevant.

sTaTIx

I do think the BF4 news puts the ONE in a better light. 1080p is clearly something that developers are having issues with on all platforms, and it's looking like the cause is having to meet the release date - not the hardware.

But still. Comparing the reactions to the two bits of information does not help the "GAF is a Sony hivemind" stereotype. (Though who knows, maybe once that info gets its' own thread - we'll see some more insanity).

Tonight has been fun though. I haven't seen GAF this crazy since I accidentally convinced them a guy with his face wrapped in bandages was computer-generated.

Jumping to some conclusions there (wishful thinking)?

The PS4 thus far has a grand total of one (1) confirmed sub-1080p game. Does this mean that the PS4 has "issues with 1080p?" I don't think so.

The Xbox One, on the other hand, is a whole 'nother ball of wax. Sub-1080p comprises the majority of its confirmed library thus far; 720p-900p seems to be the norm for the Xbox One, whereas it's the rare exception for the PS4.

ethomaz

Banned
Good night guys... I will go to Brazil Games Show tomorrow (or today because it's already passed the time here lol) so I will give my impressions from both machines soon ;)

Mr Moose

What I got from that long ass post was nothing worth crying about. what? Can't afford $20 for a HDMI splitter? Jesus!

Xbox One Devkits cost the same as the PS4 Devkits at the moment? So again, nothing! Sony are giving them to devs for nothing, and as far as I am aware, the price of them DROPS after a while.

So a whole load of nothing? And skirting around the 1080/720 thing, nothing to do with capture cards, its about native resolution.

Now I need to go back a few pages and continue reading :p

Superflat

Can't wait to find out what the actual cause of these incredibly dramatic tweets are.

I like Sessler, but if he's tweeting like this over capturing issues, holy hell what an overreaction. There has to be something crazier. Even his wife utilized his twitter for God's sake, lol.

Thanks for the effort guys but I can never tell much of a difference in those pics at all. Even 720p. I think that COD gif shows it the best.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Can't wait to find out what the actual cause of these incredibly dramatic tweets are.

I like Sessler, but if he's tweeting like this over capturing issues, holy hell what an overreaction. There has to be something crazier.

No, that's about the reaction I expect from him actually.

Globox_82

Banned
I like how adam said that consumers will suffer because he can't capture vid (more or less)
Lol You will suffer because of that! Screw 720p and that x1 stuff let's focus on PS4 and it's "problem" I need money for my puppies!!!!

Eric WK

Despite the perfect CBoaT response, I wish that Kevin Dent post never happened so people would stop talking about it as if he has any credibility or stature.

I like how adam said that consumers will suffer because he can't capture vid (more or less)
Lol You will suffer because of that! Screw 720p and that x1 stuff let's focus on PS4 and it's "problem" I need money for my puppies!!!!

That's not what he said, dude. Do you know what the word "nominal" means?

Yeah, I can understand if it's a copyright issue. Game capturing cannot be that serious.
Well he complained about PS3 for a while now, because of HDCP. But at least you could use Component to legally bypass it. Not possible on PS4 anymore. So every outlet without a debug console is probably screwed when it comes to video capture. I doubt they will use HDCP strippers.

It's very unlikely though that this would affect his livelihood. So maybe it's both YT money and capturing.

Krakn3Dfx

Can't just Sony send as many devkits as possible to reviewers? They're already doing that with indies so it can't be that difficult.

Dent comes into a thread, drops information about an issue at some PS4 event to immediately put the blame on Sony. Continues to proclaim his "pro-Xbox" stance due to various other issues, like $500 XB1 devkits that don't exist yet and won't exist until next year, and also say that it's pretty much equally as difficult to develop on both systems, among other weirdness that multiple real developers (that's right, I said it) have come out and said otherwise.

This is the same dude that, after months of indie developers singing the praises of how open Sony's indie program has been over the last few years, comes out alongside MS's "$500 devikit" announce and says MS just won the indie game.

Believing anything he says isn't part of some larger mission to smear Sony somehow is ignoring everything else about the man.

Hi Guys,

Hi Kevin

I heard today that my name was mentioned over here and I wanted to give you a fuller version of my views than Twitter allows:

There was a publisher preview event on the PS4 this week –don’t ask, I can name who, if I thought that it would impact your end experience I would- and there was some issues around connectivity. This is probably not going to be a big deal for launch and my guess is that it is going to be solved by the launch.

Awesome vague paragraph. No need to clarify. Go on!

The press are alluding to the fact that said publisher has emailed them basically saying “Don’t even admit that there was a preview event”.

Oh, ok, so you're talking about the CoD event. Yeah, the issue there wasn't the ps4.

I would like to breakout some other points though.

Changing the subject so soon...?

Launches:

It is my belief that both consoles will have day one patches, I reckon both will be large, but not to the extent that they will take days to download.

It is my belief that they both will also since they have FUCKING SAID IT PUBLICLY. I mean you're really breaking some serious news here.

Both consoles are world class; they really are fantastic machines –Admittedly I have only played with the Xbox One Retail, but I spent a long time on the PS4 dev kit. Do I think that the first few months will be a pain in the ass at times for both consoles? Sure! That’s tech for ya.

Haha, that whacky tech!

I think during the first quarter of 2014 both console houses will have teams working and on site 24X7. Well, small correction, I know Xbox already have that planned and I assume Sony will do the same, as it makes sense to have that redundancy in place.

What in the fucking world are you talking about?

However, this is a long game plan, PS and Xbox want to blow you away for the next ten years or so. They know that launching a new architecture in going to be tough, but I reckon they will both figure it out shortly.

They want to sell consoles for 10 years, sure... that's always sony's stated goal and microsoft seems to want to do the same with the 360. Blow us away for 10 years? A goddamn phone will be more powerful in 6. You should know this, you work in the industry.

Res:

1080P or 720?

Tough decision.

Right now most outlets are capturing in 720. So you play the game at 1080P and capture at 720 to reduce the bandwidth needed for the upload/download. This is 100% up to the publisher and NOT the console guys.

I have no idea what these guys are recording at but that's not what we care about. We don't think that CoD is 720p because some website recorded it at 720p... we think it because people have said it's 720p. Sure, I said it, and Im part of the sonyhivemindgafsonywankfesthivesomething... but even CheapyD, lover of all things microsoft, admitted it today. And Arthur Gies, who has video of himself getting a tattoo with money given by microsoft, backed it up. So... yeah, it's not how they are capturing the video.

The logic here is that more people will be inclined to upload smaller files, thus more eyeballs.

No. The logic here is that you are trying to change the subject.

I have played a single game in 1080P. If a publisher decides to go that route, they just hate money and you as gamers should punish them for it by not buying their game. $60? As a gamer I say “NO THANKS DAD, I AM A 1080P THUG”.

Now you sound defensive. First you were saying that the whole 1080 thing was because of how it's captured... now you're making fun of people who care.

Coverage and video:

I am 100% sure that Microsoft will get a ton more coverage than Sony. There is no conspiracy theory here, the simple truth is that Sony are providing one debug unit to one video outlet in North America (I don’t know about the rest of the world) and only a select few “wordy/written/text” based outlets.

Right. Only systems to people who eat taco bell. That's it!

And before the question is asked, I don’t actually know why Sony doesn’t want established video outlets to have access to video footage of their console before or after launch. It has never been done before.

Because there is no video footage of PS4 games coming out daily? I mean you can make shit up but you do know we can check this stuff, right?

In my mind this is a huge mistake and I seriously doubt that, that decision was made in SCEA, but rather at the HQ in Japan. The folks over there need to settle down and have a box of juice or something, because as someone that develops games, I want to get in front of as many eyeballs as possible.

Wrong tactic. Us SonyHiveMind people blame SCEA and love SCEJ. Come on', dude!

I don’t know the reason behind this, but I do know that it is like giving Xbox a free advertisement on every 3rd party game review until Sony completes their inevitable…../Drum Roll 180.

Haha! That would be hysterical if it made any sense. Like even a lick of sense. Arthur fucking Gies said we are getting ps4 reviews and not xbox one reviews. But you evidently know something he, I, and the entire universe, doesn't.

The other reason behind this is that until Sony allows video capture with unrestricted HDCP, reviewers won’t actually be able to review third party games on the PS4 as they will want to do post production.

Right. Because the PS3 doesn't have HDCP. Oh wait, it does. And somehow I can stream it via HDMI. Is it black magic?!?!? Or was it a $100 card I got off of amazon?

That said, Sony are not stupid, they have already said that they will remove the HDCP restrictions –to paraphrase “We get it, you want this and we will resolve this issue after launch”.

In the meantime, any blogger, youtuber or video reviewer will be able to slap an Elgato capture card on their Xbox One and do their reviews on the Xbox SKU.

Hence, free ad’s

Totally! Except they will be at a lower resolution. I wonder if that's because their cards can only capture at 720p...?

I really, really hope Sony HQ comes to their senses on this, because this was just stupid on their part and I know a LOT of SCEA guys who are frustrated.

I know a lot of SCEA guys. I don't know a single one who is frustrated.

On the flip side with the Xbox you can capture from day one.

Can't wait to see footage of AC4!!!!!

Actually you can capture on both devices on day one, but if you want to do post production i.e. voiceover or edits –as most journo’s need to do, hence the video element of the review- you have to use the Xbox.

Yeah. What?

Embargoes:

I have seen a few stupid tweets saying that Sony, MSFT or both of them are issuing embargoes on 3rd party titles.

To be clear; neither Kaz nor Balmer can tell a publisher what to have for lunch, never mind tell them what they can do with their game. That is just stupid talk.

I finally fucking agree with you. Absolutely true. There has been such gamer paranoia about games being forced into parity. It's absurd. Publishers want to sell games. If, say, BF4 went 720p to have parity with the Xbox One, but CoD was 1080p on the PS4... BF4 would sell less. Publishers like money. They would never hold back their games. It makes no sense.

Long-Story short for developers:

I have two dogs in this race, I want both consoles to succeed because that means that I make more money and then I can make more games. I also don’t want a monopoly, both devs and gamers lose out on that score. Less games will be made.

That's debatable (less games being made) but I agree with you in principle.

That said, right now I am pro-Xbox from a developer perspective and I know a lot of my fellow devs feel the same way.

"a lot" = not very many. There's more PS4 games announced for a reason.

The reason for this is not because Steve Balmer makes my toes curl, it’s just a simple case of economics:

Developer costs using a smallish studio as an example:

Xbox One Dev Kits 10 X $500.00= $5,000.00

Sony PS4 Dev kits 10X $2,500.00= $25,000.00

Except for the part where Sony is handing out dev kits to indies for free you are totally right with those prices.

So from day one that represents $20,000.00 more that I can put into the game, I know that might now sound like much, but for a small team that is HUGE.

You make games?

It lowers the barrier of entry to make a game, it might work, it might not. It worked out well for Apple though.

So Microsoft is Apple in this comparison now? Really?

In fairness, Sony has been great at lending developers dev kits and that is fantastic because that costs me zilch. HOWEVER, that doesn’t scale, they can’t give that to every dev in the world. They can’t give that to the kid in Iowa who is mashing the keys in his mom’s basement making a game that is going to blow us away.

Actually they can. It's easy as sending a tweet to Shahid. I don't know, can a kid in Iowa do that? I'm going to say yes.

Make no mistake about it, the features of both boxes will mean very little, it’s going to be all about the games that we can play.

Holy shit, we agree again!

/SuperClicheMode: Content is king.

And again... a lot of cliches are cliches because they are true. This is one of them.

Anyway, all of this talk about winning and losing is BS ultimately, Xbox will find their audience and Sony theirs.

At the end of the day you WANT both of them to succeed as that will force them to fight for your eyeballs. Everyone benefits from an all-out fight for your eyeballs.

I think writing this post, this long, sobered you out. You are making sense.

The bottom-line here is that the stronger the ecosystem is the better the games will be, as more companies will invest their money to make games better.

99.999999% of devs want nothing more than to make you happy and make money in doing so.

Anyway, that’s my 2cents guys, I did proof this so bite me :D

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

I'll try. You too, Kevin.

People were asking for responses so I gave them. I will be completely upfront and admit that answering line by line like this isn't fair. It's not a back and forth, it's him talking and then me responding later. That said... he didn't make any fucking sense and I hope this clarifies that. He is a GAF member though so if what I said is deemed offensive I will sit in time out until Bish decides.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

Not really, he said "nominal" effect in one of his earlier tweets.

I like Sessler, but if he's tweeting like this over capturing issues, holy hell what an overreaction. There has to be something crazier. Even his wife utilized his twitter for God's sake, lol.

When your career is built off of making & monetizing videos based on game footage, any slight change in the recording is going to be a massive headache that might pose a risk to smaller operations like Rev3. While I do think Sessler is being a bit overdramatic, he's not reacting like this over nothing.

JABEE

Oh, Christ. Do you think this means they are going to cut the middle man out? We bitch about game journalism, but do they really need them now? Imagine if all our reviews and previews are from kids with Youtube, Twitch, or Machima accounts from now on. And they'll work for free because they'll get review copies and free shit.

I stopped visiting Francis, aka Boggie's site, because Sony gave him a copy of Duck Tales to review.

Dude this is going to be scary next gen. I think GI might be safe, but everyone else? I would not want to be a professional game journalist right now.
This is what I was thinking.

And why is everyone assuming it is Sony that they are talking about. Notice how that one youtube guy is getting footage from the Xbox One and PS4 version of Battlefield long before reviews for Battlefield 4 come out.

I wonder if this is a publisher by publisher problem that is going to slowly consume the games writing business. PlayStation Blog is doing previews and content that people like Adam Sessler are doing for Revision 3. Look at their Knack coverage. Publishers only need a few strategic content partners like IGN who have enough eyes on them and flexibility in standards to be a great ally for publishers. The rest are going to be slowly bled out.

Well he complained about PS3 for a while now, because of HDCP. But at least you could use Component to legally bypass it. Not possible on PS4 anymore. So every outlet without a debug console is probably screwed when it comes to video capture. I doubt they will use HDCP strippers.

It's very unlikely though that this would affect his livelihood. So maybe it's both YT money and capturing.

And on the first point, Sony already said they will remove the HDCP restriction post-launch, so it shouldn't be an issue.

What Sessler is tweeting about sounds like a pretty damning thing, not a "oh, at launch I can't do this."

If this is indeed about gameplay capture on PS4 not being available, we all knew that the HDCP removal for gameplay capture would come post launch. If they are concerned about this, why wasn't there a big stink about it back when Sony announced that? Unless, of course, this is something entirely different.

Bazooka

Banned
WoW its funny to see so many people missing the point on what Adam Sessler is talking about. Even if he has the video he is not allowed to post anything.

ProcrasDANation

Neo Member
What am I missing? Why all the Sessler hate. It sounds like he's worried about potentially losing his source of income to feed his family. He said he reached out to try to straighten things out but he got the cold shoulder.

If I had to look at my wife and kid and say "Honey, I think my small business just failed and we may end up without a paycheck" that would be serious to me.

I have no hate for Sessler at all (really enjoy his work), but I think publicly complaining on twitter lacks integrity. If these guys can legitimately demonstrate the value of what they do to platform holders or their fan base then the it will all be worked out. Remember that XBONE reversed its entire design philosophy.

I do however take issue with Gies trying to dismiss our worry about resolution whilst publicly crying foul over video capture.

People were asking for responses so I gave them. I will be completely upfront and admit that answering line by line like this isn't fair. It's not a back and forth, it's him talking and then me responding later. That said... he didn't make any fucking sense and I hope this clarifies that. He is a GAF member though so if what I said is deemed offensive I will sit in time out until Bish decides.

Hey mort didn't you say bf4 on ps4 was 1080p? Just going off the top of my head.

I can legit tell the difference between the 1080p and 900p images. The 900p image comes across as somewhat blurry when compared. Though I have a feeling I may not be able to pick up on it as easily in game, if at all.

Well there is a difference, 1080p is like seeing clearly while 900p is like your eye sight is no longer 20/20, and then 720p is like you need glasses.

My question is, if this is indeed about gameplay capture on PS4 not being available, we all knew that the HDCP removal for gameplay capture would come post launch. If they are concerned about this, why wasn't there a big stink about it back when Sony announced that? Unless, of course, this is something entirely different.

It's suspected that the delayed reaction is because certain outlets are receiving HDCP-free kits, designed for capture. But it's Sony's decision who gets these kits.

You can see how this might be a problem.

ironcreed

Banned
whats being said now doesnt fit with earlier statements that there would be ps4 reviews coming in the next weeks but no xbox one reviews

This entire mess feel like an overblown clusterfuck at this point. Launch games are rarely perfect, especially cross-gen titles. The bottom line is that both machines will flex their muscles in their own way as the wheels on this gen start rolling down the road a bit. This is turning into something so over dramatized that we will all look back and laugh our asses off while everyone is having fun on BOTH systems. Bank on it.

ref

People also have to remember BF4 is also 60 fps. 900p at solid 60 in multiplayer with all that hectic action is honestly quite impressive for the PS4. I'd imagine it could easily hit 30 fps at 1080p with settings fairly close to maxed in comparison to PC.

It's also a launch game and cross gen game.

Personally, I'm getting BF4 on PC but it's not for those reasons at all, don't think people getting it on PS4 have anything to worry about, things should only get better in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom