• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Virtual Console Details

backlot

I honestly wonder how bad the beef between Nintendo and Atari must still be not to put any 2600, 7800, etc. games on their system. I'm sure that there's a decent amount of people who'd pay a buck or two for some of those games.

Didn't Atari just declare bankruptcy? They've probably got other stuff on their minds right now.

Raptomex

Is it just me or is anyone else tired of NES releases in VC or on 3DS, ambassador programs, rewards? Howabout some SNES games or N64 games.

Eusis

I honestly wonder how bad the beef between Nintendo and Atari must still be not to put any 2600, 7800, etc. games on their system. I'm sure that there's a decent amount of people who'd pay a buck or two for some of those games.
Well, we've had Atari collections on Nintendo platforms, so I think the problem is that Atari/Nintendo don't really care to go for it. YOu probably also have to charge way less because the difference in games can between Atari and NES games can easily eclipse... well, almost the entire industry from that point forward. NES gave the ability to make longer, meaty games that were literally impossible on the Atari.

I realized something: even if Nintendo can easily do this for free, it may be a necessary evil to coerce third parties into getting their stuff supported here. Afterall the promise of more money, even from people who already bought it, definitely makes it a much more appealing prospect than just giving it all to us again for free.

To the people who complain about having to rebuy there games for $1/$1.50:

You still get these games cheaper on VC than you get them on eBay.

I'm not really enjoying this, but due to my above statement I'm not complaining either.

What does Miiverse integration even entail? That when I hit the home button, I can access the game's specific Miiverse? I'm not sure why it follows that this requires overhauling the roms, when it seems clear that it's an overhaul of the emulator.
Pretty much. The upgrade fee is basically to cover the replacement of the emulator frontend.
jimi_dini said:
A valid comparison would be: You owned a CRT before. Now you bought an LCD/LED HD TV. And now the DVD company asks you to pay a dollar just to be able to play that content again on your new LCD/LED HD TV.
I wish I could pay a dollar to let my DVDs make proper use of HD.

Madouu

Nintendo should offer you an upgrade so that your games are not tied to a specific console anymore. Will cost you a few dollars of course... Isn't digital content great?
for the company, yes of course

And how is this related to anything I've said?

The day they finally realize that games shouldn't be tied to your console and they opt for this policy you have suggested, then I will criticize them just as much as I am criticizing them for the lack of a unified account system.

It almost seems as this is wishful thinking on your part just so you can justify your point.

yyr

People can use the VC game they bought on Wii on Wii U already.

That's the problem. We can't. They are broken, the aspect ratio is completely screwed up if you're trying to play on a widescreen HDTV.

Why are some posters completely ignoring this problem?

In an ideal world the Virtual Console would have been seen as a platform for games, rather than the current broken up mess.

When Nintendo launched the VC on 3DS, they should have allowed people to bring over their Wii games. But that wasn't possible because there was no account system.

We should be at a point where Nintendo hit a switch and everyone can download all of their VC games (Wii, 3DS) and play them in the new Wii U wrapper (and at 60Hz for PAL people).

What instead is happening is people are essentially having to pay three times for ROMs. Plus it seems Nintendo are starting all over again for Wii U. NES and SNES. Where are Mega Drive games? Where are N64 games?

Virtual Console should be an expanding universal platform for Nintendo devices, not some broken up mess where Nintendo want to charge you for each platform and for the purpose of getting the emulator for the Wii U.

They should have made all the Wii U emulators work on Wii U then put up all the existing ROM dumps in the eShop.

We should be starting with GameCube games for Wii U but I guess Wind Waker HD put a bullet in that.

Club Nintendo keeps track of all your purchases and has since before the 3DS came out. The reason they don't allow cross-play isn't because they lack an account system. In fact, I suspect that your Club Nintendo account is just as capable as your PSN or Steam account but Nintendo would rather you not benefit from that. They would prefer to sale the same games to you countless times.

jimi_dini

Oh wait.

You get actual remastered HD versions of Super Metroid and Mario 64 using HD assets? Why did noone tell me this. Sign me up. Totally fair in that case. I thought you would just get exactly the same games unchanged on your Wii U pad.

Eusis

I don't think that's REALLY applying until we get N64 games, and that's if they don't just upscale from 480p (which could arguably be better as an exact duplicate to not make the UI stuff look too out of place). It's more like so you can get some of the features of blu-ray on your DVD, even though it's still DVD image quality. And also so your TV stops being idiotic and stretching the image out.

entremet

That's the problem. We can't. They are broken, the aspect ratio is completely screwed up if you're trying to play on a widescreen HDTV.

I don't have a Wii U but a Wii. Does it stretch the image or something?

Madouu

I don't think that's REALLY applying until we get N64 games, and that's if they don't just upscale from 480p (which could arguably be better as an exact duplicate to not make the UI stuff look too out of place). It's more like so you can get some of the features of blu-ray on your DVD, even though it's still DVD image quality. And also so your TV stops being idiotic and stretching the image out.

It still makes sense considering the price charged in my opinion. It seems fair.

I think his analogy works fine. Unless you want to boot up into a special PS3 mode, and use a completely different controller scheme to be able to play the games than whatever PS4 will launch with. His analogy is EXACTLY what Nintendo is doing right now. Wii U Gamepad support? Better pony up an extra dollar for that. You want to play your game on Vita? Different controller AND screen. Better pony up a dollar.

He was talking about PS3 games on the PS4 and Wii games on the Wii U. I don't see any Vita mention in his post.

Also, you can play your wii games/software on the Wii U just fine without "ponying up".

Mr E.

Which games mate? I've not had that problem so far. For the record I've played super probotector, Link to the past, and Super metroid with no problems.

Not tried all the titles I have yet though.

serplux

Didn't Atari just declare bankruptcy? They've probably got other stuff on their minds right now.

I'm pretty sure that was just to get away from Atari of Europe, not actual financial problems. Although Atari itself is pretty awkwardly structured these days.

Well, we've had Atari collections on Nintendo platforms, so I think the problem is that Atari/Nintendo don't really care to go for it. YOu probably also have to charge way less because the difference in games can between Atari and NES games can easily eclipse... well, almost the entire industry from that point forward. NES gave the ability to make longer, meaty games that were literally impossible on the Atari.

I realized something: even if Nintendo can easily do this for free, it may be a necessary evil to coerce third parties into getting their stuff supported here. Afterall the promise of more money, even from people who already bought it, definitely makes it a much more appealing prospect than just giving it all to us again for free.

Aren't Game and Watch games $2 on DsiWare? I think $2-3 would fit well with 2600 according to its tech specs. I don't recall any of those collections occurring on the Wii, (although I do think I remember the DS one), but I feel like Atari would be a worthy addition to the VC, even though Nintendo likes to think video games started with the NES. :p

yyr

Which games mate? I've not had that problem so far. For the record I've played super probotector, Link to the past, and Super metroid with no problems.

Not tried all the titles I have yet though.

How do you have your Wii U connected to your HDTV? The games are displaying in their proper 4:3 aspect ratios, without you having to adjust your TV? (There should be large black margins on the sides, if so.)

StAidan

You still get these games cheaper on VC than you get them on eBay.

There are an awful lot of decent NES games you can get on eBay for $5, or not much more. On top of that, sure, it's only $1 now, but how about the Wii U's successor? Another dollar for each game? It'll be like paying a maintenance fee for my games every generation, even though they've been the same the whole time.

On top of that, as a Nintendo loyalist, I'll have paid a total of $6 for Super Mario Bros. that Wii U newcomers will get for $5.

All said and done, it will cost me about $70 (yes, seventy United States Dollars) for what amounts to an emulator upgrade. MiiVerse? I don't even want it.

Raonak

Banned
sounds pretty BS. all the extra features would be on the emulator side, no reason for an upgrade fee besides lol Nintendo.

Def Jukie

For anyone who grabbed Balloon Fight, is the image stretched on your TV or is it the correct aspect ratio like it is on the gamepad?

Tookay

My ultimate gaming dream would be to see A Link to the Past/Link's Awakening remade in the style of an 3D Zelda game.

You'd pretty much have to make a completely different game then, because the puzzles and overworld could not work the same.

Fredrik

0.99€ instead of 5.99€ for every title you have on Wii VC too is a truly awesome deal, didn't expect that at all.

ajim

Lol at repurchasing at a discounted price. Oh Nintendo. I feel a little easier I never purchased anything from the Wii virtual console now.

Trogdor1123

Im totally not ok with this at all...discounts to play thing i have already bought? Its not like what they are doing is costing them anything. Not cool at all.

Yuripaw

Banned
Im totally not ok with this at all...discounts to play thing i have already bought? Its not like what they are doing is costing them anything. Not cool at all.

You can still play what you bought in Wii mode. If you want to switch it over to a new platform, they're offering a discounted rate. No one is forcing you to make the switch, and you don't have to upgrade. Geez. Gamers can be like such spoiled children.

panda21

i still don't quite understand whether we get to keep balloon fight etc if we buy them cheap now.

from the way it was worded in the video, (they said something like 'try it now to see if you want to buy it when the full priced version arrives') it sounded like they are basically time limited demos that you have to pay for.

serplux

You'd pretty much have to make a completely different game then, because the puzzles and overworld could not work the same.

I don't recall any parts of Link's Awakening that would be drastically changed by 3D; the jumping mechanic would be interesting, Pegasus Boots would be the same, Power Bracelet would probably be integrated, and it'd be hilarious to randomly pick up a Piece of Power/whatever that defense item was. Only downside would be that the game would feel a bit claustrophobic and short. It would need a massive control change to feel like a 3D game though. It's just a fanboy's dream anyways. :p

serplux

You can still play what you bought in Wii mode. If you want to switch it over to a new platform, they're offering a discounted rate. No one is forcing you to make the switch, and you don't have to upgrade. Geez. Gamers can be like such spoiled children.

I honestly could not tell if he being sarcastic, but I'm gonna lean towards him being a little butt hurt.

mackattk said:
That wasn't his point. His point was to spend a dollar to use the DVD on a better screen. Not to upgrade the DVD to a higher resolution/better format for a dollar.
It's the same situation. I can play DVDs on my LCD HDTV, it's just still going to have all the disadvantages of DVD. I can play Wii VC games on my Wii U, it's just still going to have all the disadvantages of Wii VC.
entrement said:
I don't have a Wii U but a Wii. Does it stretch the image or something?
Wii U attempts to be helpful by scaling everything to the target output resolution. Unfortunately this means 4:3 content on Wii (including most VC games) gets stretched to 16:9 HD resolutions. Most TVs assume any HD signal is coming in at the intended resolution/ratio and allow no easy workaround.

JaseMath

One thing I want that we'll probably never get is a direct link to the Wii SD card from the WiiU main menu. Seems simple enough.

This.

Arren

One huge problem here is that the PAL versions of these Wii U VC releases are still being coded exclusively at 50Hz, even through HDMI.

I thought they would restore the original 60hz speed for this circumstance, given they had already done so for the 3DS Ambassador versions. But no, not only the image output is filtered and awfully blurry, we're also still getting the crippled slowed-down ROMs without any effort on the supposed faithfulness to the originals.

There are a lot of posts about the matter on Miiverse already and I hope Nintendo promptly takes notice. Really baffled that this is happening again after the PAL Wii VC fiasco.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
i still don't quite understand whether we get to keep balloon fight etc if we buy them cheap now.

from the way it was worded in the video, (they said something like 'try it now to see if you want to buy it when the full priced version arrives') it sounded like they are basically time limited demos that you have to pay for.

It seems like, yes, you get to keep the game. The only "trial" portion going on here is that this isn't the full roll-out of the service, just a small, staggered release before the full version of it goes live.

They're basically giving everyone an easy way to see if they'd like to rebuy games on the Wii VC service.

That release schedule looks pretty sparse. One game a month, really?

This isn't the full service. THey're just putting out 1 30 cent game a month, before the full thing rolls out "this spring". Think of it as a growing preview, before full implementation.

Yuripaw

Banned

Because I'm smart enough where I know how to work around it. It's stupid, and kinda annoying, but it's not impossible to work around. Set the Wii U's display settings to 480p before booting up Wii mode, and you can make VC games in 4x3 using your TV settings. It's an inconvenience, but it's not unfixable.

Glass Joe

Well, I was completely ignoring that problem because I wasn't aware people HAD that problem. I don't. Could it be dependent on people's set ups (TVs, connections, etc)? Or is it an experimentation issue? I just double checked and I can do VC at 4:3 perfectly fine.

When I know I'm going to do a VC session -- and this is via HDMI, I go to U settings and change to 480p output (but keep it at 16:9 aspect ratio). If you have yours hooked up similar, give that a shot. It's sort of a pain in the dick, but so is having to go into Wii mode. Which is why I'm glad to see VC starting on U, even if for a price.

Alfredo said:
That release schedule looks pretty sparse. One game a month, really?

One sale for 30 cents a month. Those sales are unrelated to the VC's actual launch, which is a vague "Spring." No idea why the wait, but I bet it has to do with them being able to figure out which VC titles are on your U in Wii mode in order to offer discounts. So for the time being, any game offered will get an even better discount.

Probably matters on a case by case basis, I'd hope. Personally, I'd find it kind of nice to see some bite-size-price remakes of some not-as-well-known N64 titles... a few straight ports, and full retail HD upgrade for the games that really deserve it. But maybe that's expecting too much...

I'd settle for this, but only if there was some level of gamecube visibility on the vc store.

basically, all I want is a copy of resident evil remake on my wii u. regardless of if it works on the gamepad, I just want it on the wii u.

Yes Boss!

The upgrade price does not bother me. Seems not too bad for a little more flexibility.

I'm leaving my 150-200 VC titles on the original Wii hardwares...no need to transfer. Wiis are tailored made to lower res than HDTV, anyways. I have started playing Wii discs on Wii U as the upscale to 1080p is quite nice. Xenoblade looks amazing!

I'll happily buy new titles or double-dip on great classics for the Wii U.

Sad part: was really hoping some VC for new systems for the Wii U...things like GCN or Saturn, DC.

Top Bottom