• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont give a shit about his armor, want to see how game plays. Degrade graphics put it at 60fps. Stop discussing armor discuss map motivations.

Thank you in advance.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
One of the Master Chief’s most notable physical characteristics is that he’s wearing 800 pounds of tank and jet fighter. So we pulled that design into the armor and HUD. When you play Halo 4, it’s important you understand that you’re more than just a gun on the screen. To give you that feeling, we have represented that weight with player physics, without interrupting crosshair and shooting accuracy.

A Spartan tossing his chest plate should feel like an anvil dropping….

A Spartan sprinting across concrete should be a stealthy whisper….

Putting on your helmet should feel like powering up an F-15E….

Fucking. Beautiful. :D

It's like they straight up copy pasted my wish list into the game. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34479761&postcount=403

Retro

One of the Master Chief’s most notable physical characteristics is that he’s wearing 800 pounds of tank and jet fighter. So we pulled that design into the armor and HUD. When you play Halo 4, it’s important you understand that you’re more than just a gun on the screen. To give you that feeling, we have represented that weight with player physics, without interrupting crosshair and shooting accuracy.

Fuck yes. As bad as Terminator 3 was, at least you got the sense that Arnold was a fucking cyborg. When he landed on a car, he smashed through the engine block. When he jumped down from a height, he sounded like a ton of bricks.

About time Chief got some heft. Spartans are giant surgically-altered war machines decked out in half a ton of armor and gear. Hopefully Halo 4 makes you feel what it's like to be in their boots.

GhaleonEB

Bulletin said:
This can mean many things, but my hope is it does not mean we have the same kind of weight and inertia that has so hampered player movement in Reach. Not jumping to conclusions, just positing on the implications based on that wording. I hope it means something else.

Bulletin said:
A Spartan tossing his chest plate should feel like an anvil dropping….

A Spartan sprinting across concrete should be a stealthy whisper….

Putting on your helmet should feel like powering up an F-15E….

These are the sorts of experiences we want to give the players.
Now this, on the other hand, is pure unf.

I wonder, under what circumstances would a Spartan toss his chest plate?

Overdoziz

Banned
What do you guys think about having dynamic spawns on Sanctuary for Slayer? I've played a few matches with it but I'm not entirely sure. The map really feels like it should have static spawns. Hmmmm....

On a side note; I made the jump-ups to ring 2 easier. You can even do them without crouch jumping! I often forget that a lot of people don't crouch jump at all. It's second nature for me.

FyreWulff

What do you guys think about having dynamic spawns on Sanctuary? I've played a few matches with it but I'm not entirely sure. The map really feels like it should have static spawns. Hmmmm....

On a side note; I made the jump-ups to ring 2 easier. You can even do them without crouch jumping! I often forget that a lot of people don't crouch jump at all. It's second nature for me.

There's only one map that should have static spawns in Slayer, and it's not in Reach. When you have no objective to defend or a base to hold, you should spawn with your teammates as a group instead of being forced to spawn on an arbitrary part of the map and get spawncamped.

Asylum already falls apart in static spawn gametypes (getting spawned almost on the other side). I wouldn't try it with Slayer, the spawns are too easily forced on that small of a map.

Another mechanic that will perform the same function? Why would they bother removing it then?

Because it might not be bloom. Other games use recoil. So Halo 4 might have some other mechanic that isn't bloom. How else will they manage it? Everything is single shot with hitscan detection and a RoF as fast as your fingers? Hardly :p

Yeah, I'm hoping that when they mean they want to have the weight of a half-ton super soldier translate into gameplay physics, it doesn't mean slow inertia like Reach's.

Overdoziz

Banned
There's only one map that should have static spawns in Slayer, and it's not in Reach. When you have no objective to defend or a base to hold, you should spawn with your teammates as a group instead of being forced to spawn on an arbitrary part of the map and get spawncamped.

Asylum already falls apart in static spawn gametypes (getting spawned almost on the other side). I wouldn't try it with Slayer, the spawns are too easily forced on that small of a map.
You see, I agree with that, but that means that you pretty much have to relearn how to play that map entirely. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Something about spawntrapping (not necessarily spawnkilling) people on Asylum/Sanctuary just feels right.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Fuck yes. As bad as Terminator 3 was, at least you got the sense that Arnold was a fucking cyborg. When he landed on a car, he smashed through the engine block. When he jumped down from a height, he sounded like a ton of bricks.

About time Chief got some heft. Spartans are giant surgically-altered war machines decked out in half a ton of armor and gear. Hopefully Halo 4 makes you feel what it's like to be in their boots.

impact craters with no fall damage

Keep dreaming. Bloom got the most vitriol besides Armor Lock in Reach.

I will pray harder then

Plus, wouldn't the playlists numbers show what most people prefer? I always see more players in regular or have they all gone back to another game?

booooooooooooo

k4AN2.jpg

FyreWulff

You see, I agree with that, but that means that you pretty much have to relearn how to play that map entirely. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Something about spawntrapping (not necessarily spawnkilling) people on Asylum/Sanctuary just feels right.

Maybe in the Halo 2 engine. It just doesn't really work right in Reach, and Reach also adds line-of-sight spawn influences. So even if the map is as big as the original Sanctuary, it's smaller in terms of available spawns and spawn selection due to bigger influence radiuses and the like. There was a big post I made on GAF here ages ago where I broke down an MLG spawnkill video that explains why Asylum (and all of it's remakes in Reach) is spawn starved. 2's spawning was a lot looser than 3's and Reach's, in 2 in a really bad spawn trap you could actually end up spawned on the other side of the map anyway.

edit: i found it

Havok

Plus, wouldn't the playlists numbers show what most people prefer? I always see more players in regular or have they all gone back to another game?
When presented with a choice that they don't understand, a large group of people will mash A on whatever the top option is. Anniversary Squad used to be above Anniversary Classic in the listing, and its population was much higher. They swapped them one week and the populations reversed. People are sheep. Also, the 'regular' playlists that are vanilla tend to be the iconic names that people know or that cater to a current trend in games - Team Slayer, Infection.

Its difficult to say how much influence the general, non-hardcore population should have on design. They've shown that they'll play whatever is put in front of them as long as it's Halo, but does that mean the developers should then try to make the game that the hardcore say they want?

kylej

Banned
Sounds like this is shaping up to be a complete and total disaster. Can you imagine the hell that would break loose if someone from Bungie ever tweeted that during development?

If they tweeted that during development maybe someone could've helped them get the game to run above 24 cinematic frames per second.

I'm not sure what you mean by regular.

By regular he means crappy. Havok is right. If Squad Slayer was put in the top line of the "Competitive" list and had it's name changed to "Team Slayer" it would have the same population as Team Slayer has now.

For the last week I've had to explain to dozens of people what TU means despite the fact that they voted for whatever the TU option in Team Slayer was. The majority liked the changes I told them about. A few said "why didn't they just take Armor Lock out?", but none of them had a clue that anything in Team Slayer had changed until I told them.

Most players just want to shoot cyborg dudes with their imaginary guns. If they aren't enjoying the experience, it seems rare that they try to figure out why.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
By regular he means crappy. Havok is right. If Squad Slayer was put in the top line of the "Competitive" list and had it's name changed to "Team Slayer" it would have the same population as Team Slayer has now.

For the last week I've had to explain to dozens of people what TU means despite the fact that they voted for whatever the TU option in Team Slayer was. The majority liked the changes I told them about. A few said "why didn't they just take Armor Lock out?", but none of them had a clue that anything in Team Slayer had changed until I told them.

Most players just want to shoot cyborg dudes with their imaginary guns. If they aren't enjoying the experience, it seems rare that they try to figure out why.
Not shocked. They're barely given explanations as to what does what. Except for a celebratory announcement of the TU's existence when they sign in and that comes up only once.

I expect a return to information in Halo 4 just like H2:
NxIvK.png

Not shocked. They're barely given explanations as to what does what. Except for a celebratory announcement of the TU's existence when they sign in and that comes up only once.

I expect a return to information in Halo 4 just like H2

That makes too much sense to work. I expect a black screen with the annoying low-shield beep sound for 20 seconds and then the game begins.

Edit: I wanted to interrupt my bitterness to say that I enjoyed this week's bulletin. I wasn't as thrown by the writing style as some and I liked what little info we got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom