• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I am thou and thou art I.

I am also that thing you are and 100+ hour game is a fantastic way to burn time not working.

Game localization, the Internet, and the guys themselves were different nine years ago. Vinny wasn't even married yet, I don't think.

Like, I'm (only) 25 hours into the game, but Persona 5, despite not being afraid of bad language, hasn't done anything close to "All these bitches..." unlike P4.

Edit: Also, that was mostly comedic roleplaying that was fed by their own personalities. Even as late twenty-somethings, I don't think the guys would have thought hitting on teenagers was okay for them to do.

Wait, really?

Kamoshida basically treats his female students the same way.

I've been rewatching some of the P4 ER lately and it's kind of off putting how much underage sexual innuendo riffing the guys are doing now. I don't remember feeling this way 8 years ago, but it's just kind of messed up now. Given where the guys are in their lives now, I'm guessing they wouldn't, even make the same jokes now, at least Vinny probably wouldn't.
Yeahhh there's some jokes about Naoto in particular that they definitely would not (and should not) make today. Not that the game itself handles her much better (the crossdressing pageant is... rough). Luckily it doesn't crop up enough to ruin the series.

Hindl

I am thou and thou art I.

I am also that thing you are and 100+ hour game is a fantastic way to burn time not working.

Game localization, the Internet, and the guys themselves were different nine years ago. Vinny wasn't even married yet, I don't think.

Like, I'm (only) 25 hours into the game, but Persona 5, despite not being afraid of bad language, hasn't done anything close to "All these bitches..." unlike P4.

Edit: Also, that was mostly comedic roleplaying that was fed by their own personalities. Even as late twenty-somethings, I don't think the guys would have thought hitting on teenagers was okay for them to do.

Well to be fair, the bitches thing wasn't until pretty much the end of the game, and Persona 5 is darker in general than 4. So there's time.

This is an incredible Runescape documentary, like even for non-players it's still extremely well done. I've never been a big player myself, played it from time to time in 2002 all the way to 2004. My younger brother however and cousins were way into it(still are). Nostalgia overload, good stuff.

I just watched Escape from NY for the first time and man, there is a fine line between "homage" and "ripoff", hideo

That theme song is so good.

danm999

Alright Persona 5 is a better game than Persona 4.

Regarding the Kawakami (homeroom teacher) after the 2nd palace:
You can invite your teacher over to your place to clean in a maid outfit!
Jeff would love this game if he dug into it

This is gonna be the first Persona game where you can bang your teacher huh? I mean 3 and 4 came close IIRC.

danm999

I hope so, the game seems like it's gonna allow you to get with a few different adult women

Yeah I'm dating the doctor and I'm getting the sense the lush you meet for Devil arcana wants to bang.

Maybe a little messed up given the Kamoshida stuff but there's always been a double standard with male students I guess.

Antiwhippy

Yeah I'm dating the doctor and I'm getting the sense the lush you meet for Devil arcana wants to bang.

Maybe a little messed up given the Kamoshida stuff but there's always been a double standard with male students I guess.

Well I mean it kind of is
but kamoshida is just straight up blackmailing and coercing his students.

Joeku

Wait, really?

Kamoshida basically treats his female students the same way.

Yeah, it's weird that it's somehow both darker and cleaner so far. I don't know if that's a societal thing, a localization thing, or simply a writing thing. As of 24-ish hours in, this seems like the writing team loathes large swathes of the country they live in.

Well to be fair, the bitches thing wasn't until pretty much the end of the game, and Persona 5 is darker in general than 4. So there's time.

You're right, it may be my presumptuousness. Given how much less Scooby Doo the team is this time, I'm noticing there's less cursing from the team and banal misogyny from the rest of the cast, to the point that that "<target>'s bitches" line from some random students on the way to school one early morning came off as more of a translation issue than actual intention of tone, really.

Edit: Also I did the first step of the
-----------maid----------
thing and it blew my goddamn mind. Like, in a kinda sad and exciting way at the same time.

Just had my first "lost an hour of progress" moment in Persona, and I'm quickly remembering why I don't play JRPGs as often as I did back when 3 and 4 were coming out lol. In a 100 hour game it's hard to not view severe consequences like that as the game failing to "respect your time."

Joeku

Just had my first "lost an hour of progress" moment in Persona, and I'm quickly remembering why I don't play JRPGs as often as I did back when 3 and 4 were coming out lol. In a 100 hour game it's hard to not view severe consequences like that as the game failing to "respect your time."

How early are you? The latter parts of the first Palace have been by far the hardest for me, so far.

Salarians

P5 5/17 (very minor) spoilers:
hearing Yukiko's voice coming out of this camera woman makes me wish P4: The Collage Years was a thing that happened

maybe Jeff was right all along

Joeku

P5 5/17 (very minor) spoilers:
hearing Yukiko's voice coming out of this camera woman makes me wish P4: The Collage Years was a thing that happened

maybe Jeff was right all along

P4: The Collage Years is the name of my tumblr

How early are you? The latter parts of the first Palace have been by far the hardest for me, so far.
I think I'm near the end of the first palace, and I was ambushed by a shadow that wasn't marked on the map. I hadn't saved since before the previous midboss as there were suddenly a bunch of shadows between me and the last safe room.

I'm tempted to just knock it down to easy. I'm patient, but I don't know if I want to invest time in combat that feels even remotely tedious. I'm already feeling like I have to grind a bit before I can tackle the red shadows where I died, and the idea of grinding just... like, I have a stack of irl books I could be reading right now :lol

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
"you had a dream that you and Chie were wearing luchador masks and wrestling"

LOL at their reactions, best part of the ER so far

Joeku

I think I'm near the end of the first palace, and I was ambushed by a shadow that wasn't marked on the map. I hadn't saved since before the previous midboss as there were suddenly a bunch of shadows between me and the last safe room.

I'm tempted to just knock it down to easy. I'm patient, but I don't know if I want to invest time in combat that feels even remotely tedious. I'm already feeling like I have to grind a bit before I can tackle the red shadows where I died, and the idea of grinding just... like, I have a stack of irl books I could be reading right now :lol

If you're at the same place I was, I did a wee bit of grinding to hit level ten then came back another day and just avoided most enemies besides the ones I needed for the "key items" you need at that point. I think I spent literally twenty minutes "grinding" and then since the first dungeon I have felt overlevelled for everything through to the end of the second. So don't fret, it gets easier from here on out.

Edit: As to the Life is Strange talk, that shit is an acquired taste from episode one. I won't deny that. However, I will defend the ending.
It was much less of a "how do you feel" choice like the rest of the game and more of a "do you actually get the themes and motivations of this? Check yes or no" choice. Like, while I ultimately DO get where Austin et al would come from in their want of that decision, I would lay that on the feet of either not enough writing supporting Max believing in Chloe, or Austin et al not believing in Chloe enough themselves and instead leaning into the weaker side of Max taking over in that moment. Of those, I'd guess the latter is the truer one. Despite all that, that the choice resulted in a 50/50 split tells me it kind of worked, regardless, though, despite my insistence. That has to be the best case scenario for a dev designing a final choice in a story-based game.

Nobody's going to read all of that. I'm sorry for typing it. I'm very tired.

Anjin M

I think I'm gonna end up tackling this year backwards. Persona 5, then Nier Automata, then Yakuza 0. Maybe Zelda somewhere in there if the Switch stock gods smile upon me.
If you think that there is any chance you might want to play Yakuza Kiwami when it releases, I'd play 0 sooner rather than later. Give it some breathing room.

Salarians

dfttbRv.jpg

Joeku

As half Quebecois, I feel like I appropriately named my team "Amis bon Vol", which as per my broken Google Translate methods sort of means "Good Thievery Friends". I think that fits with this game's (and Japan's as a whole) weird obsession with France.

I think it has the best story of the year locked up. The way it metes out the revelations is so well paced and enthralling that I couldn't stop thinking about it weeks after I had finished it.

I think Jeff is going to drop the hammer during Best Story deliberations this year and refuse to budge.

Iv hardly touched the story been doing a lot of side stuff. The world they built is pretty great

starting to get more into it now

Joeku

Also, not to be that guy, but these Persona 5 teens aren't millennials. This whole game has (so far) sidestepped the millennial generation. The kids are Gen Z and the baddies are Gen X and beyond. I wouldn't be surprised if younger adults became enemies at a point, but that isn't the case.

So "#Millennials" isn't really fair. Honestly, it seems like an early case of not-young folks stretching to feel part of a younger crowd despite their age. I "can't" wait for this to keep happening for another decade.

Joeku

I wish your team name could be longer so that the beautiful dream of "Bready Or Not Here We Crumb" wasn't dead.

Seriously. Based on how often the word came up, I almost wanted to call my team "The Problematix", but there isn't even enough characters for that.

Joeku

Quite a number of the confidants outside your team are millennials though.

As far as I've gotten, uh...kinda just
the doctor?
None of them are on the team, though. It's a team of high-schoolers.

Applying our generational stereotypes to Japan is probably missing the point.

Oh, for sure, this is all facetious bullshit I'm spouting. The way my generation of people on this side of the Pacific seem to be flocking to this, though, looks like the early days of a...uh...trend.

Antiwhippy

Applying our generational stereotypes to Japan is probably missing the point.

Yeah probably, but some still apply in a way, like the apathy from the younger generations from inheriting and older generation's system.

If anything it's a little more...acute in japan

Joeku

At least games can't just grab brand names as easily. That's what Gen Z seems to be all about, based on some shit I read on here, at least.

The only one I've seen in the game was HMV on a billboard above Shibuya Station.

Joeku

Ryuji's just Yosuke plus some extra anti-adult bias, which I totally understand as a new character trait they inserted since a decade ago. Hell, the relationship with the mascot character has been the damn same so far, too.

Persona 6 will have a social link about someone trying to stream a game and an evil corporation persecuting them. Some real snake eating its own tail shit.

If it's another decade til the next one, VR/AR gaming/social spaces will be a key component in it. No fucking doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom