• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gregg Allman (The Allman Brothers Band) has died at 69

SpaceHorror

http://variety.com/2017/music/people-news/gregg-allman-dies-dead-69-southern-rock-1202446640/

Gregg Allman, whose hard-jamming, bluesy sextet the Allman Brothers Band was the pioneering unit in the Southern rock explosion of the ‘70s, died Saturday due to currently unknown causes. He was 69.

As recently as April 24, reports surfaced claiming Allman was in hospice. His manager previously denied those reports to Variety, which Allman then substantiated in a Facebook post.

With his older sibling, guitarist Duane Allman, the singer-keyboardist-guitarist-songwriter led one of the most popular concert attractions of the rock ballroom era; the group’s 1971 set “At Fillmore East,” recorded at Bill Graham’s New York hall, was a commercial breakthrough that showed off the band’s prodigious songcraft and instrumental strengths.

After Duane Allman’s death in a motorcycle accident weeks after the live album’s release, his younger brother led the band through four more stormy decades of playing and recording. The Allman Brothers Band’s latter-day history proved tumultuous, with other fatalities, disbandings, regroupings and very public battles with drugs and alcohol on the part of its surviving namesake.

Though Gregg Allman’s highly publicized addictions, his tabloid-ready marriage to pop vocalist Cher, and his equally public disputes with co-founding guitarist Dickey Betts came under harsh and sometimes mocking scrutiny over the years, Allman prevailed as the linchpin of an act that maintained popularity over four decades and opened the commercial door for such other Southern acts as Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Marshall Tucker Band.

gregg-allman-via-concord-records.jpg

RIP to an absolute legend of music.

Update: A local news station in Macon, GA has confirmed with Allman's manager that he will be buried next to his brother Duane Allman at Rose Hill Cemetery in Macon.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sad news. Seems like tragedy kind of followed that band everywhere at times, with Duane and then Berry Oakley, not to mention Butch Trucks' suicide earlier this year.

He was a guitarist at Fame during the Muscle Shoals Sound era.

Grew up listening to him play.

Edit:recordings, not live. My dad listened live, lol, but he played the records.

wedca

My amateur coroner's report: he died due to hard livin'.

I don't listen to that much classic rock but I love the Allman Brothers Band, SUPER high-level improv.

Nothing like an obituary notice to get a dig into Cher.

Wtf?

It wasn't a dig at Cher. She and Sonny, despite their problems and dysfunction, remained relatively close. Consequently, she gave a moving eulogy at his funeral.

She stayed married to Gregg for all of five minutes and basically called him a piece of shit in numerous interviews. It was an amusing allusion to their marital problems.

My mom was a big fan of the Allman brothers growing-up, even saw them in concert, so I'm familiar with a lot of their music. RIP, respect!

Really sad. Only got to see him once, but it was at the Gorge opening for the Dead and they absolutely destroyed. Their music has really meant a lot to me over the years, but with Jaimo and Dickey being the only ones left standing, I guess that means it really is over.

May your road go on forever Gregg. RIP

III-V

Damn, Gregg was amazing with ABB and a great vocalist and keys contribution to the bands signature sound. I've been to a few ABB shows over the years, the guys were still rocking.

RIP Gregg.

PS he also played guitar lol for those who were concerned

Kingbrave

Well, I've got to run to keep from hidin',
And I'm bound to keep on ridin'.
And I don't own the clothes I'm wearing,
And the road goes on forever,
And I've gone by the point of caring,
Some old bed I'll soon be sharing,
And I've got one more silver dollar,
But I'm not gonna let 'em catch me, no
Not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider.
No, I'm not gonna let 'em catch me, no
No, I'm not gonna let 'em catch me, no

Rip Gregg Allman :(
They finally caught him :(

yes i changed the lyrics around.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
RIP

Just last night some buds and I were getting drunk playing pool in the garage, Allman Brothers Band in the background.

Damn both the Allman Brothers are now gone. Don't worry Greg will now get to be with his brother again and play some sweet jams for God.

SpaceHorror

So I just realized that when I saw him live at his Laid Back Festival in Atlanta last October, it was his last concert.

As a lifelong fan due to my parents, I feel super fortunate to have seen him at all.

Top Bottom