• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Esch

Banned
I think "fob" is just easier to say than "immigrant." Same with ABC.. it's just convenient.

That being said, I doubt anyone has come over on a boat. Now that's just stuff we ship over from Asia (I would know, I used to work in that field. GODDAMN BOATS ALWAYS MAKING MY ORDERS LATE.)

Not sure if "fob" is a bad thing anymore. At least, over here, it's not if used when describing an immigrant-- fob also specifies that it's an Asian immigrant, though I suppose that could be bad?

I don't know. Do y'all think it's not a good word to be using anymore?

I don't know if it's an inherently bad word, but sometimes people can use it as part of an insult, kind of like how there's nothing wrong with the word jew but in the wrong context and delivery you can sound pretty bad.

Now that you mention it, I actually haven't heard the term applied by anyone that wasn't Chinese. I'm fairly sure the term is used for Asians in general though I never hear non-Chinese Asian people use it.

Yep, I only hear it from Chinese trying to distance themselves from other Chinese acting too Chinese. I'm guilty of this.

@CapNBritain - you know, it's awesome (and interesting!) that you and I only live 45 miles away from each other, and yet have had such different experiences as Asian-Americans.

If it makes you feel better, I just assume everyone is judging me. :)

BTW, anyone read this thread yet?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139567534&postcount=1

Most of the comments are about what the guy said to the black family, so I didn't want to be like wow he was racist against that Asian lady too.

BUT SERIOUSLY. ASKING A NEWS REPORTER IF SHE EVEN SPEAKS ENGLISH... WHILE SHE IS QUESTIONING YOU IN ENGLISH?

http://www.wdrb.com/story/15473169/valerie-chinn-anchorreporter

This is the reporter in question-

It's not like she actually was an immigrant or had ANY reason at all to be questioned about English proficiency. Ugh.

This isn't even the first time I've heard this sort of shit. Half the people that say this kind of stuff are pretty much illiterate themselves. Ignorant asshole.

*edit: Bonus irony- the idiot can't speak proper English himself. Ugh.

It speaks to my privilege that I find this hilarious. I mean sure, I know that the racism is terrible, but the idea that there are people this ignorant and stupid out there just makes me laugh. Probably because I've never been personally affected by it.

Are the groups prominent in your area? There are tons of Vietnamese here, so I have heard the term used on them.

Then again, one of the Vietnamese guys I know literally did come off the boat when he was a child.

Interesting, never heard a Vietnamese person use it before. Also, as I alluded to before, I feel that the meaning has changed among the people I know. FOP (first of plane) would be more appropriate. In fact, it probably refers more to the Chinese equivalent of yuppies.

Zoe

That being said, I doubt anyone has come over on a boat. Now that's just stuff we ship over from Asia (I would know, I used to work in that field. GODDAMN BOATS ALWAYS MAKING MY ORDERS LATE.)

They could have if they were old enough!

Of course times are different now. This all would have been around 30 years ago for my friend.

Interesting, never heard a Vietnamese person use it before. Also, as I alluded to before, I feel that the meaning has changed among the people I know. FOP (first of plane) would be more appropriate. In fact, it probably refers more to the Chinese equivalent of yuppies.

Around here it doesn't have the yuppie connotation at all--just obviously immigrant.

Esch

Banned
nah the use of the term fob / fobby is pretty common in south asian communities in my experience too, and i've even heard some eastern europeans and nigerians throw it around.

it's just a general term for someone new to the country who stands out in their unacclimated mannerisms, speech, conduct.

Toki767

Same.

Even in places that speak Mandarin, unless I've been there a few times, I always just speak English to them. I know there's this idea that if you speak "their" language, you get better service, but I don't know if that's true. It might make communication easier initially, but .. that's about it.

Though, every time I go somewhere that only has a Chinese menu... I freak out. Or places where I ask for a fork and they look at me like I'm insane.

I don't use cheap chopsticks. Sorry.

With Chinese restaurants it's always hard to say. Some give you better service if you speak Chinese, but quite a few will give you better service if you speak in English.

For the most part I've gotten used to basically only speaking Chinese when asked for how many people are in my party, ordering specific dishes that have silly English translated names, asking for a box, and asking for the check. Everything else I'll just use English.

Kevyt

Vietnamese cuisine is one of the best. I don't mean to start a food debate but Pho noodles are the best noodles ever. No other kind of noodles come close. The texture, the smell, the technique, and way in which the noodles are cooked is simply sublime.

It kind of depends. if it's an Asian saying it about another Asian, then people would get it. Go outside the bubble and I think you see where people can get their feathers rustled.

I always thought that it was just Americanized Chinese saying it to put down non-Americanized Chinese. So it would be Chinese on Chinese aggression, if anything.

I don't know if it's an inherently bad word, but sometimes people can use it as part of an insult, kind of like how there's nothing wrong with the word jew but in the wrong context and delivery you can sound pretty bad.

Yeah, how a person uses it can be important. Although I don't think I've ever heard someone use it as an outright insult.

They could have if they were old enough!

Of course times are different now. This all would have been around 30 years ago for my friend.

Around here it doesn't have the yuppie connotation at all--just obviously immigrant.

Where are you located, if you don't mind me asking?

nah the use of the term fob / fobby is pretty common in south asian communities in my experience too, and i've even heard some eastern europeans and nigerians throw it around.

it's just a general term for someone new to the country who stands out in their unacclimated mannerisms, speech, conduct.

This is pretty fascinating. Never knew non-Chinese, let alone non-Asians used the term.

Maybe the yuppie and cliquish connotations are unique to the Chinese communities that I have observed in California? Although since i'm not really a part of those communities, I guess it's all just conjecture on my part.

Toki767

Vietnamese cuisine is one of the best. I don't mean to start a food debate but Pho noodles are the best noodles ever. No other kind of noodles come close. The texture, the smell, the technique, and way in which the noodles are cooked is simply... sublime.

Much as I like pho, ramen is superior. Plus with pho I'm always hungry after 2-3 hours later.

Correctly cooked ramen is some of the best because of its chewiness and its texture. Pho is great, but rice noodles can't match that.

I always thought that it was just Americanized Chinese saying it to put down non-Americanized Chinese. So it would be Chinese on Chinese aggression, if anything.

Yeah, that's part of it too. I think it's dependent on who says it.

I could be wrong about it, tho

Vietnamese cuisine is one of the best. I don't mean to start a food debate but Pho noodles are the best noodles ever. No other kind of noodles come close. The texture, the smell, the technique, and way in which the noodles are cooked is simply... sublime.

Mmm.. Pho is pretty amazing. Maybe you're-

Have to disagree. I think ramen is GOAT, and I'm Taiwanese. Sorry beef noodle soup... I still prefer pork over beef!

daikokuramen.jpg

Even dipping ramen is AMAZING.

IMG_3383.jpg

Oddly enough, despite living in OC and having access to amazing Vietnamese food, I don't actually like Vietnamese food at all ._.

My favorite Asian cuisine is definitely Japanese. :x

YES.

This thread is now about food. Begun, the noodle wars has.

Santouka and Daikokuya for life. Even ramen places in Japan have a hard time keeping up.

And for everyone sleeping on the awesome-ness that is Uni, just give it a shot. Eventually you'll get it and ascend to god-tier food snobbery.

Toki767

YES.

This thread is now about food. Begun, the noodle wars has.

Santouka and Daikokuya for life. Even ramen places in Japan have a hard time keeping up.

And for everyone sleeping on the awesome-ness that is Uni, just give it a shot. Eventually you'll get it and ascend to god-tier food snobbery.

I have to drive like 40 miles from San Francisco to San Jose just to eat at Santouka. I still do it every once in a while. Luckily lots of ramen places in the bay area are popping up over the years. I also like Yamadaya Ramen as well. I wish there were a Mitsuwa Marketplace closer to my city.

Kevyt

You haven't lived life if you never had home made Pho, made the way it's meant to be eaten. I'm not talking about going to a Pho restaurant (although there are some real good ones). My Vietnamese brothers and sisters would understand. Let the noodle wars begin!! :p

Oh yeah I've heard there are a lot of Vietnamese there. I now change my theory of Chinese Christmas to a Vietnamese grinch, whom other Texans mistook for Chinese.

I have to drive like 40 miles from San Francisco to San Jose just to eat at Santouka. I still do it every once in a while. Luckily lots of ramen places in the bay area are popping up over the years. I also like Yamadaya Ramen as well. I wish there were a Mitsuwa Marketplace closer to my city.

I've been to the Mitsuwa Marketplace in San Jose around lunch time before. It was horrifying. There have been a crapton of Ramen places opening up in LA too, but most range from mediocre to acceptable.

Brakke

Banned
I am a white dude. I came up in Orange County and pretty much only had two white friends from elementary school until I left for college. My high school class graduated like 23 Kims and 18 Lees or something like that :D

You haven't lived life if you never had home made Pho, made the way it's meant to be eaten. I'm not talking about going to a Pho restaurant (although there are some real good ones). My Vietnamese brothers and sisters would understand. Let the noodle wars begin!! :p

Pho is to Ramen as Union Jack to Captain Britain. Powerless against a golden god.

HK style pan fried is basically the only version of chow mein I'll eat. Need that crispy goodness. I also do like yee mein though.

Uni is amazing, and if you live in so-cal, I think you just automatically become a god-tier food snob.

(BTW, if you're ever in the OC, try Nana-San. The omakase there... holy shit. Also, their uni is delicious, though I feel like there's really good uni in SD too.)

I love Daikokuya with all my heart and soul, but for dipping ramen, I only had Tsujita. That was my first introduction, and WOW.

I live near two Mitsuwas and TWO Daisos.. na na na na na.

SF is pretty legit food, though I secretly/not so secretly think LA's Asian food is better :p.

Will definitely try Nana-San. Have you tried Maruhide Uni Club in Torrance?

Two Mitsuwas and two Daisos. Man was not meant to soar so close to the sun.

As for LA vs SF, I actually don't have a lot of experience with SF food. But I will say that the actual city of LA has mediocre and/or overpriced Asian food. You gotta go out to the East and South to get the real goods.

Zoe

Oh yeah I've heard there are a lot of Vietnamese there. I now change my theory of Chinese Christmas to a Vietnamese grinch, whom other Texans mistook for Chinese.

Now are we talking about Vietnamese Vietnamese or Chinese Vietnamese?

I can't tell the difference even though one of my friends gets insulted if you assume he's the latter... >_>

Toki767

Will definitely try Nana-San. Have you tried Maruhide Uni Club in Torrance?

Two Mitsuwas and two Daisos. Man was not meant to soar so close to the sun.

As for LA vs SF, I actually don't have a lot of experience with SF food. But I will say that the actual city of LA has mediocre and/or overpriced Asian food. You gotta go out to the East and South to get the real goods.

Same thing with SF really. SF does have some really good Asian food, but the better stuff is a bit more down south between San Francisco and San Jose.

Lesath

Same thing with SF really. SF does have some really good Asian food, but the better stuff is a bit more down south between San Francisco and San Jose.

With regards to dim sum, there are places scattered around SF that I would argue are at least measurable to the quality you'd find in HK and China (though, it varies depending on which chef prepares it a given day). Sushi quality around here isn't too bad, although I could really use a good ramen place.

Esch

Banned
Well I guess I meant that all styles or cuisines of asian food are good. I haven't found one I've wholly disliked yet.

Some of the smaller countries that are near cultural powerhouses can be a bit underwhelming though, because a lot of their food feels pretty similar to or a combination of stuff I've had already.

Hey guys Im not Asian but I hope I'm still welcomed here. I've always love Japanese culture and I have an extensive collection of kung fu movies. My favorite food is sushi and kimchi! Is anyone here into anime? Asian women are so hawt. ^^;
Here. Let me cover all your bases.

images

On a tangentially-related topic to everything, so far, I highly recommend the John Rain series by Barry Eisler. The protagonist is a half-white, half-Japanese guy living (at least in the beginning) in Japan who gets cosmetic surgery to look fully Asian and blend into his environment, despite his being from the US.
Also it's about assassins, so it's not ultra-boring.

They're going to adapt it as a TV show, starring Keanu Reeves, directed by the guys who did John Wick.

Toki767

With regards to dim sum, there are places scattered around SF that I would argue are at least measurable to the quality you'd find in HK and China (though, it varies depending on which chef prepares it a given day). Sushi quality around here isn't too bad, although I could really use a good ramen place.
Santa Ramen and Ramen Dojo in San Mateo are good. If you want one in SF, I'd say Yamadaya and Katana-Ya, though I haven't been to the latter in years since it's in a busy location.

I like Asian cuisine, but I cant really eat spicy so I've been trying to induct my tastebuds slowly to the stronger palettes like Thai and Indian food. I did try Thai Laksa soup a while ago when I was in Thailand and that was delicious but their spicy fish was too strong for me x____x I needed lots of drinking water afterwards ha ha~

Indian curry is also something I still need to acclimatize to :>

But food, yes. Glorious Asian food o7

LA guys, really? If you want ridiculous Japanese food, you need to eat in Torrance. It's just straight up better than other places, and even the fast food, garbage Japanese places, like Sushi Boy, are a cut above in Torrance.

Toki767

I like Asian cuisine, but I cant really eat spicy so I've been trying to induct my tastebuds slowly to the stronger palettes like Thai and Indian food. I did try Thai Laksa soup a while ago when I was in Thailand and that was delicious but their spicy fish was too strong for me x____x I needed lots of drinking water afterwards ha ha~

Indian curry is also something I still need to acclimatize to :>

But food, yes. Glorious Asian food o7

Laska is really good. I just tried it for the first time a month ago.

As far as curry goes, Japanese wins for me. Then Thai, then Indian. I do like curry in general except Chinese curry. Something about it just makes my stomach unsettled.

Here. Let me cover all your bases.

images

I dragged friends with me to see this in theaters because I wanted to see Jackie Chan fight Jet Li. Was rough.

Dude.. Japanese curry is my go-to comfort food! Yummmmm... pork curry :D

Japanese food is probably my favorite, with Sushi as my top pick. And then you have Ramen, Curry, Tonkatsu, Onigiri, and so many more Japanese food things that it's no contest for me. I dated a Japanese girl and went to Japan a handful of times to visit her so I'm probably biased though. I miss Japan and it's a shame that I'll never return.

Also.. kinda related to what Septimus said, and this topic:

http://hwdailyhub.com/2014/11/18/am...ste-ng-writings-like-shouting-into-the-world/

Amazon Book of the Year Winner is Celeste Ng!

Not ashamed to admit... I bought it immediately on Kindle. I'll read it and y'all know what I think of it. I think I can loan it; I'll check later.. so if I can, I'm happy to loan this book to anyone!

This is her FIRST book.

Pretty awesome. I actually wanted to be a writer and figured that I could write at night after making web pages during the day. That quickly fell to the wayside once real life hit.

My book recommendation is American Born Chinese. Wasn't a 1 to 1 match with my childhood, but it resonated strongly with me.

Esch

Banned
As far as curry goes, Japanese wins for me. Then Thai, then Indian.

fighting words man, absolutely fighting words

that said Indian restaurants in the United States are generally shit so I don't blame you if that's your experience.

Zoe

Japanese curry is so different from all the other curries that I can't even place them in the same category.

But Japanese curry >>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else

Toki767

fighting words man, absolutely fighting words

that said Indian restaurants in the United States are generally shit so I don't blame you if that's your experience.

It's a really close tie between Thai and Indian curry for me, but Thai edges it out. I also dislike how most people associate Indian curry with tikka masala, which may or may not have even originated in India. Pretty sure it started in the UK.

Japanese curry is still the best though. Especially if you put shredded cheese on it and it melts into the curry.

BJevYFFCAAEYtfI.jpg

jasonng

On the subject of literature, anyone who's into theater should read the play M. Butterfly by David Henry Hwang and even better if you can see it on stage. Hwang has such a deep understanding of Asian culture blending with others that he's become one of my favorite playwrights. The play hits the topic of Asian fetishism, gender stereotypes, cultural clashes, and Asian male empowerment all at once. You will either find the play ingenious or incredibly offensive. I absolutely love it.

I've pretty much given up the idea of acting altogether but if I was ever given a chance to play the love interest for that play, I would in a heartbeat.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
When I self-deprecate about being the whitest Indian ever; it's more of a cultural joke (in that I'm not very aware of Indian culture), and it really only picked up when I moved out from the midwest into Seattle. Being white out here is being a hick (which, well, I still use y'all in normal conversation, so I am more or less a hick, and damn proud of it). At least out here, it's more of a "city slicker vs country boy" thing more than anything.

As for food; if any of you are in or near Seattle; next time my mom is out here I'll have to show you what real Indian food is like. I can cook pretty decently (am just lazy and won't do it for myself); but my mother can cook like nobody's business. MMMMMmmmmmm I'm hungry just thinking about it. :D

I am glad Asian-GAF hasn't just fallen to the wayside. :)

Lesath

Japanese curry is so different from all the other curries that I can't even place them in the same category.

But Japanese curry >>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else

You have just set the record for the most incorrect opinion ever.

It's a really close tie between Thai and Indian curry for me, but Thai edges it out. I also dislike how most people associate Indian curry with tikka masala, which may or may not have even originated in India. Pretty sure it started in the UK.

Japanese curry is still the best though. Especially if you put shredded cheese on it and it melts into the curry.

BJevYFFCAAEYtfI.jpg

I have never done this, but I vow to try it soon. You better not be steering me wrong!

When I self-deprecate about being the whitest Indian ever; it's more of a cultural joke (in that I'm not very aware of Indian culture), and it really only picked up when I moved out from the midwest into Seattle. Being white out here is being a hick (which, well, I still use y'all in normal conversation, so I am more or less a hick, and damn proud of it). At least out here, it's more of a "city slicker vs country boy" thing more than anything.

As for food; if any of you are in or near Seattle; next time my mom is out here I'll have to show you what real Indian food is like. I can cook pretty decently (am just lazy and won't do it for myself); but my mother can cook like nobody's business. MMMMMmmmmmm I'm hungry just thinking about it. :D

I am glad Asian-GAF hasn't just fallen to the wayside. :)

Yeah, I think nowadays I use the whitewash moniker in a self-deprecating manner. And while I do love Indian food, I keep hearing that the stuff you get at restaurants in the states isn't close to the real thing. Am I just missing out by having terrible Indian friends who refuse to cook for me?

You have just set the record for the most incorrect opinion ever.

Lines drawn in the sand. This is how Asian-GAF Civil War starts.

jasonng

I do find myself making fun of my own background but to be fair I make fun of myself in general. However I do feel disturbed when I get called a twinkie because that's pretty personal to me. I'm a born and raised New Yorker and growing up as an awkward kid, I was only able to befriend people who get me. That ended with me making friends from all backgrounds despite being so close to Chinatown. It just bugs me that the people who would call me white washed are the same people who has less of an understanding of their heritage than I do of mine. Just because I have nonasian friends doesn't mean I've abandoned where I came from. To be fair my first language was English and I never learned Chinese properly so I can't speak it that well. I can still hold conversations but apparently not enough to not be alienated by my people.

Esch

Banned
Yeah, I think nowadays I use the whitewash moniker in a self-deprecating manner. And while I do love Indian food, I keep hearing that the stuff you get at restaurants in the states isn't close to the real thing. Am I just missing out by having terrible Indian friends who refuse to cook for me?

In the states, it's definitely true. Although there are exceptions.

It's a combination of western expectations of what indian food is and
indian people being cheap
. Restaurant indian food here can be satisfying in the same way fast food is. They tend to throw a lot of cream, grease and salt on everything. Oftentimes the best points of indian food are missed; the skillful use of spices to bring the best out of veggies and meat. Plus there's the problem of mass-batches being made for buffets (and bad restaurants) which is the primary way people eat them.

It's like the difference between panda express and the real mccoy, lots of overcompensating with sugar salt and fat, bad handling of vegetables, and mediocre uses of spices and flavorings.

In the states, it's definitely true. Although there are exceptions.

It's a combination of western expectations of what indian food is and
indian people being cheap
. Restaurant indian food here can be satisfying in the same way fast food is. They tend to throw a lot of cream, grease and salt on everything. Oftentimes the best points of indian food are missed; the skillful use of spices to bring the best out of veggies and meat. Plus there's the problem of mass-batches being made for buffets (and bad restaurants) which is the primary way people eat them.

It's like the difference between panda express and the real mccoy, lots of overcompensating with sugar salt and fat, bad handling of vegetables, and mediocre uses of spices and flavorings.

Pretty much the case in every blended culture/out of peoples actual home cooking. Heck here in the USA, theres tons of "soul food" restaurants with the same menu, none of it tastes anything like the actual food you get in coastal Georgia/Carolinas.

Toki767

Top Bottom