• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

That was quick! Got 2 wings in like 10 minutes. Thanks gaffers.

So when it says 'overcharge' that's a good thing? I'd heard it was bad?

That was quick! Got 2 wings in like 10 minutes. Thanks gaffers.

So when it says 'overcharge' that's a good thing? I'd heard it was bad?

Overcharge is bad. It means all your sword attacks bounce. What Ken is saying is he'll load all the phials, then get red gauge again, so that when he charges his shield, he can instantly reload all the phials again without attacking more in sword mode.

redcrayon

Back in 3, 3U etc, I really liked the small little ecology cutscenes to introduce monsters, but 4U really brings them up to a whole new level, where your own actual hunter is involved.

Take for example the Gore Magala expedition, where
the hunter is thrown of the Magala, nods at the Palico, the camera pans out into the fight as Magala roars his mighty roar.

It's just so damned epic and adds a personal touch to fights, and not to mention how seamless they are, they transition without any load to the gameplay, fantastic.

Just those little touches you gotta love.
Some of the later stuff is cool too, rathian vs seregios, then azure rathalos vs seregios. Some real territorial scraps!

Marsminchen

Neo Member
The new title is great. I rarely find the time post because I'm busy enough trying to read everything here (or most of it) and continue playing the game. Ugh...

Played 105 hours so far, got the urgent quest that's leading to HR 5 yesterday and I'm still working on 6 star caravan quests. I've been wasting way too much time with expeditions and gathering junk before. I wonder if I'll ever see and be able to defeat monsters like Fatalis. Reading that some of you carted for the first time while they were battling monsters I don't even know while I've been knocked out multiple times during some low rank quests makes me want to cry and leave, haha. :)

The new title is great. I rarely find the time post because I'm busy enough trying to read everything here (or most of it) and continue playing the game. Ugh...

Played 105 hours so far, got the urgent quest that's leading to HR 5 yesterday and I'm still working on 6 star caravan quests. I've been wasting way too much time with expeditions and gathering junk before. I wonder if I'll ever see and be able to defeat monsters like Fatalis. Reading that some of you carted for the first time while they were battling monsters I don't even know while I've been knocked out multiple times during some low rank quests makes me want to cry and leave, haha. :)

You are not the only one my friend.

I'm only on about 40 hours, up to 6* caravan and HR4 online through being carried a lot.

co1onel

The trick is to convince yourself that no matter who he's aiming at (cats, you, other players), he's always aiming at you. Once I got that in my head, my Rajang game skyrocketed.

Not always the best idea. If he starts the laser beam move, I assume he's targeting me and roll to the side to avoid it, only to find out he's targeting someone else and I roll straight into the beam. That's one dead me.

Need help regarding the Gore Magala story quest.

I'm relatively new to the series and have been progressing quite smoothly so far. Some battles were tense, but i managed to beat all of them on my first try.

Now I have to fight Gore Magala (the real thing, not the repel intros) and this mofo is able to kill me in 3 hits. I thought about upgrading my armor but there is no proper way of finding armor spheres + so i'm stuck with my current equipment.

My weapon is an unbranded aikuchi long sword which seems good enough to me but idk.

Meteorain

Happy to finally get past that stupid Gore Magala at HR 2. Stagnated so badly until I killed it yesterday and now I've got quite a few things.

Feels good to have a weapon with an element attached to it. Usurper's Boltslicer looking good on a Zinogre armour set.

Ken

I'm relatively new to the series and have been progressing quite smoothly so far. Some battles were tense, but i managed to beat all of them on my first try.

Now I have to fight Gore Magala (the real thing, not the repel intros) and this mofo is able to kill me in 3 hits. I thought about upgrading my armor but there is no proper way of finding armor spheres + so i'm stuck with my current equipment.

My weapon is an unbranded aikuchi long sword which seems good enough to me but idk.

Try to stay under him or keep to his sides and attack when he's doing something lengthy like firing orbs.

Shengar

Now I have to fight Gore Magala (them real thing, not the repel intros) and this mofo is able to kill me in 3 hits. I thought about upgrading my armor but there is no proper way of finding armor spheres + so i'm stuck with my current equipment.

What armor do you use? Tetsucabra or Velociprey is more than enough to handle Gore. Also Gore indedd hits pretty hard especially its breathing attacks. Try to stay on its taiL. Bringing traps also help a lot. You only need thunderbugs and trap tool and since it have 90% combo rate, it is pretty easy to make.

squall23

Just keep fighting it and learn it's attacks. Even if that's a generic response for any monster, it works, believe me. Gore Magala has surprisingly big tells and long windup animations.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Hey! This is also my first MH game and I wanted to give some tips.

Regarding the armor, sure better armor always helps but you have to think of MH more as an action game than an RPG, fights are not as much about "you must be this level to win" but rather "you must get this good to win". You have think about the monsters as if they were bosses and learn the tells, the attacks, the windups... like a boss fight!

Now, specifically for the Gore, I have three pieces of advice:

a) Bring Nulberries. The Gore inflicts the Frenzy status and if the Frenzy bar fills up his attacks will do extra damage. You can beat the Frenzy by doing damage or by eating Nulberries.

b) Bring traps. You can carry two traps and the materials to make two more. Whenever Gore goes into asshole mode (eh, enrage in game terms) trap the fuck out of him.

c) Stay behind him. Like 90% of his attacks are forward or side facing, by staying behind him you will be safer.

zogged

Anyone willing to give us a hand with Ukanalos? Can't manage to get the dps to take it down. ID is 22-5787-2302-1835

tcrunch

Hey, I just started with this. I've been crafting some new armor, but for some reason when I equipped the most recent piece the other two pieces from that set unequipped, and now I can't equip them from the manage equipment screen (they're greyed out). What did I do? Bone Armor set btw, only have that and the Derring set in my box.

e: Oh it was because I had a bow equipped to poison some altaroth, go me.

Nohar

So, I need to do a lot of Advanced quests in order to unlock more mats from the Wyverian Trader. Anyone interested? It's mostly G-Rank quests, though I do need to clear some rank 7 quests (Dah'ren Mohran, Akantor... and 2 Deviljho. In an arena. Naked. I have no idea how we are going to clear that one, if we ever try it, so I think it is best to forget about that one for now).

ID: 03-8956-1535-6805
Password: 1289

I love when your farming a monster and every run is going quick until you get one where there's a triple cart in less than 5 minutes xD

sonicmj1

Last night I did some runs on that HR7 quest with a Golden Rathian and Silver Rathalos at the same time on Tower. I have no idea how you're supposed to beat that quest because it inevitably turns into a grand clusterfuck.

Still wish I had someone to clear some of the Guild Hall Canteen quests to max all my ingredients.

tuffy

Thanks to some GAF help yesterday my normal shot suit is complete, and I don't think it came out looking too bad:
x3jd3nz.jpg

The Brachy gunner parts actually look less goofy than they used to. It winds up with:
  • Normal Up
  • Challenger +2
  • Critical Eye +1
  • Evade Extender
which should do a pretty good job in the short term.

jorgejjvr

Does anyone have a guild quests in which the armor is Freedom C Series (arms)? I'm interested completing the Death armor. It looks so cool!

-Alternis

bobohoro

I love when your farming a monster and every run is going quick until you get one where there's a triple cart in less than 5 minutes xD

Yeah, you really can't autopilot in this game, since the random attack and aggression patterns can screw you over way too quickly when you're getting overconfident, especially in G-Rank.

Which is why the game remains fresh. No hunt feels the same, most monsters stay threatening even for a decent group of hunters and there are some pretty serious challenges to be had.

Of course I'm average at best at the game, so really advanced players might have a different perspective on that matter, but from what I gathered even those seem to be pretty satisfied with the balance overall.

Yeah, you really can't autopilot in this game, since the random attack and aggression patterns can screw you over way too quickly when you're getting overconfident, especially in G-Rank.

Which is why the game remains fresh. No hunt feels the same, most monsters stay threatening even for a decent group of hunters and there are some pretty serious challenges to be had.

Of course I'm average at best at the game, so really advanced players might have a different perspective on that matter, but from what I gathered even those seem to be pretty satisfied with the balance overall.

lol yeah it was weird when it happened. We all just lol'd and did it again.

Nohar

Thank you Len and Tatters for the hunts!

On a side note: Maiky didn't troll, he genuinely never used the Dragonator before... And thought that you needed to "enter" the Dragonator beforehand to activate it (I was with him on Teamspeak)... Yeah, sloppy excuse indeed >.> I gave him a lecture afterwards.

Thank you Len and Tatters for the hunts!

On a side note: Maiky didn't troll, he genuinely never used the Dragonator before... And thought that you needed to "enter" the Dragonator beforehand to activate it (I was with him on Teamspeak)... Yeah, sloppy excuse indeed >.> I gave him a lecture afterwards.

With how he ran up and hit it with you already in position it looked that way but I guess if you've never done it before than his answer would make sense. Ah well, it died and I got a gem so it's all good.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Last night I did some runs on that HR7 quest with a Golden Rathian and Silver Rathalos at the same time on Tower. I have no idea how you're supposed to beat that quest because it inevitably turns into a grand clusterfuck.

Still wish I had someone to clear some of the Guild Hall Canteen quests to max all my ingredients.

Coming from 3U experience with the same quest:

Smoke bomb when you enter so you can focus on one monster (hopefully) for a minute. Lots of flash bombs. Earplugs will help a lot, so you're not roared at, then run into by the other monster. Traps work on the Tower now, so that should help a ton. I'd probably run by Wide Range +2 support set with SnS, so I could heal people up and be able to throw flash bombs very quickly.

Coppanuva

Anyone wanna do the HR5 urgent (Black Gravios)? I'm up for trying it out this morning, hoping to get up a rank this weekend.

Really enjoyed (and still continuing) the single-player/caravan side of this thing. Now in the midst of 10* and just started HR7 guild. Glad I brought material for a couple extra farcasters to the HR7 qualifier, got him on the first try but it was messy lol.

Been using the Garuga S with Crit 3/Razor/HG Ear, and for the hell of it Wide-Range +2 (due to Hearing 5/WR 10 Talisman) which actually works nicely to keep Palicos up and fighting. Using the Auberon GS for that set.

Most useful up to this point and perhaps for a little while longer has actually been Gravios U with Def XL/Guard Boost/Palico Rally and with an Emperor Frostsword in tow.

With naked Jho down now I got Ceadeus parts to work with. What's the quest that unlocks the G rank mats? And the same thing with Yama Tsukami. Since I need to upgrade the DB I made.

Beats

With naked Jho down now I got Ceadeus parts to work with. What's the quest that unlocks the G rank mats? And the same thing with Yama Tsukami. Since I need to upgrade the DB I made.

Into The Heavens G3 quest. You hunt Chaotic Gore Magala and a Stygian Zinogre.

Top Bottom