• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 9 PS4 announced

clem84

Gold Member
The blurry backgrounds and the high def characters are a little jarring. Other than that, the game has so much charm it's hard not to be tempted. I'm probably going to get this later on.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I never noticed so many animal people in this game. They just looked like funny looking people to me in the low resolution. Now I can clearly make out dog people, bird people, frog people, and a bunch of others.

the jumping rope minigame should be easier with the HD models, or not?

It's actually harder because of input lag.

I forget, can you do jump rope later in the game or does it have to be done there?

Yeah, you can do it later in disc 3 or 4 I think? If I recall, you can play as Eiko too.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I never noticed so many animal people in this game. They just looked like funny looking people to me in the low resolution. Now I can clearly make out dog people, bird people, frog people, and a bunch of others.

It's actually harder because of input lag.

Yeah, you can do it later in disc 3 or 4 I think? If I recall, you can play as Eiko too.

I need a LIST of the missable trophies or I'll lose my mind. :(

yophlow

Banned
I can't believe there is no analogue control in this version. 8 directions only even using the stick, straight up worse than the PS1 original. The game was designed around having full 360 movement. It's a disgrace. I only found out after already downloading and playing, will try to get a refund.

SilverArrow20XX

Oh WOW. There's a Continue option. I messed up the performance with Blank and reset the game. Instead of having to redo the rooftop segment with Vivi and the stage battle, I just chose continue and it went right to the beginning of the minigame.

I need a LIST of the missable trophies or I'll lose my mind. :(

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=665159772

I'm using this guide. It's for the steam version so there's some extra stuff too. Apparently you need to get all 79 events in a single playthrough. There's only 80 in the game and only 79 are possible in a single playthrough, so it's basically impossible without a guide.

I'm not worrying about Excalibur II. I'll just start a new game after I finish my perfect file and get it with cheats. With turbo speed, 9999 damage, and battle assistance it'll be cake.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I never knew about Excalibur II.

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in a game. Doesn't that pretty much mean that if you go for that, you really can't bother with any other shit in the game? So what's the point?

Syntsui

I never knew about Excalibur II.

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in a game. Doesn't that pretty much mean that if you go for that, you really can't bother with any other shit in the game? So what's the point?
It's never been easier now with all the cheats.

Peff

Well yeah, I know it can be done a lot easier now. My point is just the existence of it in the first place.

The point is that FFIX was designed with the intent of harkening back to the times where comprehensive official guides were less common, and kids would find out secrets by chance or from their friends and rumours. You're not meant to have the Excalibur II so much as you're supposed to hear about it, in which case it makes sense that the requirements are obscure and the weapon itself not that fantastic. Of course, now that it's a trophy all that is completely lost and it's just another bulletpoint in a checklist, but hey, blame whoever designed the achievements.

Well yeah, I know it can be done a lot easier now. My point is just the existence of it in the first place.

There is a comprehensive guide but it relates to the steam release, outside of there being less achievements in the PS4 version most of whats in the guide applies

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=665159772

There is also a less image heavy 100% guide here

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=680623233

I used a combination of both to get everything on PC, the hardest part will indeed be jump rope. The nero brothers you can get through by recording them with your phone and playing it back, it's tedious, but it works.

Excalibur 2 is utterly inconsequential if you do it on a 2nd play through (you know what the critical path will be) with the speed boost

I would say the 2nd most missable is easily the ATE one, I finished with an infuriating 78/79 on my first play through, no idea what I missed. I would keep a separate checklist for these alone. Some people are convinced that Tetra Master (win 100 INDIVIDUAL MATCHES e.g. you cant play the same person 100 times) is missible but its not, I did it before the point of no return where I had conceivably missed a lot of chances, and there were still enough NPCs left to get it.

Also, leave jump rope till last (you can make a seperate save towards the end of disk 3) knowing it's your last thing to do gave me a lot of drive to power through it. The whole thing is luck, muscle memory and patience and about 5 hours

The whole thing took me a whopping 120 hours to get 100% on PC (discounting a separate 25 hour run to get all the damn ATE's) but I enjoyed every minute of it, it's a gargantuan JRPG back from when the bred them thick lol, they literally dont make them like FF9 anymore.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The point is that FFIX was designed with the intent of harkening back to the times where comprehensive official guides were less common, and kids would find out secrets by chance or from their friends and rumours. You're not meant to have the Excalibur II so much as you're supposed to hear about it, in which case it makes sense that the requirements are obscure and the weapon itself not that fantastic.

Yeah, I'm saying that's dumb and bad game design. :p

IX is like a top 10 game for me, but I think this specifically is dumb. The PS1 and even SNES FFs that preceded it didn't seem to have anything that silly.

Of course, now that it's a trophy all that is completely lost and it's just another bulletpoint in a checklist, but hey, blame whoever designed the achievements.[/QUOTE]

Don't be confused: I'm not complaining about the achievements. I love that the list is hard. Clearly, it's doable as someone here has already done the jumprope thing.

Syntsui

Squenix has always been bad with this stuff, all the Celestial weapons from X and the craftable ones from XII are just as bullshit.

All things considered, I think IX has the hardest platinum of all of them if you play legit.

SilverArrow20XX

I think XIV's is still worse. I STILL need to get 1000 leves (650 to go) and 1000 of each gatherer. Buckled down and got all the crafting trophies a few weeks ago. You can do 99 leves every 3 weeks or so.

SilverArrow20XX

I remember using beast whistles to summon the flan princesses on the DS version and getting enough pink tails for full adamant armor on everyone. I also farmed all the ultra rare onion gear in FFIII DS. I had way too much time in high school.

Rozart

I'm tempted to get the game just for that theme...Played it when it came out on the PS1, purchased it again when they released it for the PS3...and I have a pretty big backlog of games right now but that theme... I need it. :(

Why couldn't they just release the theme separately? C'mon, Squeenix. :(

AgeEighty

Your "figures" is a top download list that goes by a monthly format and has included VIII on multiple occasions. There is no actual sales numbers and you're making baseless speculation on the reason IX was chosen first.

IX also had a 6 month gap release after VIII which means we have no way of knowing if VIII's sales were bigger before that or if IX because it was in the top 10 downloads for a couple years more consistently(VIII was still very frequently in the top 10) and that was because it was selling much more. VII is not comparable to both games in any shape or form since it has been consistently in the top 10 for over 6 years something neither VIII nor IX could do. Then there's the fact that VIII sold a hell of a lot more on Steam so determining numbers as a reason is even more complicated.

The most we can say is all three games sold extremely well on the playstation store and that the only game we can for sure say sold the most was VII.

From December 2011 (when the Playstation Blog first started reporting Classics numbers separately) until December 2015 (the last month any PSOne FF title appeared in the top 10 Classics, five full years after FFIX released on PSN):

Number of months FFIX outsold FFVIII: 28

Number of months FFVIII outsold FFIX: 1

Number of months we don't know about (neither game appeared in the list): 19

Even if every single one of those unknown months went to VIII—which is highly unlikely given that it had only outsold FFIX during one other month we know for sure of—IX still probably outsold VIII overall, and significantly so. We don't have the numbers behind the rankings, but the wide discrepancy in the rankings is highly unlikely not to be reflected in the sales numbers as well, whatever the are.

I think it's clear that FFIX was the more lucrative Classics title. Do I know that's why they ported it to PS4 first? No, but it's as likely an explanation as any.

By the way, there were also 2 months where IX outsold VII, a feat that as far as I can tell VIII never managed.

Top Bottom