• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mary Skelter: Nightmares |OT| Die Schwestern Grimm

yH8LoAL.png

MfU86kL.png

BIYpDAc.png

cOkbBoR.png

GWd4u8Z.png

VdOIbqu.png

9k7M1HG.png

8n2OH7I.png

92a6GSG.png

dCCnwBQ.png

VKD8tnT.png

Metacritic said:

OpenCritic said:

Digitally Downloaded said:
90 - Mary Skelter is sublime. By turns darkly sensual and horrific, it's also beautiful, ravishing, and backed by truly expert level design and a clean, clever combat system.

DualShockers said:
85 - Mary Skelter: Nightmares provides the dungeon crawling experience fans of the genre crave.

Video Chums said:
82 - Mary Skelter: Nightmares is one of the most delightful and impressive RPGs that I've played in a long time.

Attack of the Fanboy said:
80 - Mary Skelter: Nightmares is strong enough as a whole to offer the most unique experience Compile Heart has ever created.

PS Site said:
80 - It's a great game with engaging story, excessive violence and pints of blood.

Cubed3 said:
70 - Although it definitely has style, Mary Skelter: Nightmares doesn't quite excel.

RPG Site said:
60 - Mary Skelter: Nightmares straddles the line of having fun mechanics and story hooks with a mediocre plot featuring a poor conclusion.

LMQPpCl.png

The official Compile Heart and Idea Factory International websites for providing virtually all of the resources used in this thread.

---

There's a decent amount of info in here, but check the official website if you want more.

Not getting the game for a few days myself (I'm EU), so I'd be grateful for impressions and stuff in the meantime. Or any reviews that people spot, since I don't really follow any gaming websites.

e:
One thing that should probably have been mentioned in the OP (for those few who might be interested and actually notice this thread) is that there is a rubbing minigame in this. The only time it is forced on you is the first time with each girl and then you can skip it and still get the effects. Probably shouldn't come as a surprise considering it's Compile Heart and what a large amount of Drpgs have nowadays, but I know it's something that people will pass over it because.

Avallon

In for digital copy at some point. Normally I'd buy it and just pretend I was going to play it soon, but I think I may just wishlist this one for a while. Probably wait for a sale.

Probably shouldn't have grabbed this day 1 since EO5 will be my DRPG in the coming weeks and this'll probably be half price in a few month's time.

Verelios

I was really hyped for this until I saw Compile/Idea were involved. Gave me pause. Might pick it up next month.

SephLuis

I was really hyped for this until I saw Compile/Idea were involved. Gave me pause. Might pick it up next month.

It's actually a pretty good game. And Compile has been one of the few devs trying something different with turn based battle system and the game shows their experiments payed off.

I've been trying to avoid spoilers so apologies if this info is well known. This just arrived from Best Buy and I'd like to give it a shot but I was wondering a few things. Are there missable trophies or anything of note that is missable? I am lucky to play through a game once, let alone multiple times so I try to do everything I can in one play through. Having missable things,( especially when something little early on can lock you out of important stuff much later) can really detract from my enjoyment. Even more so when dealing with a long game. Thanks for any info.

Hopefully getting my LE within the next few days and I'm wanting to start it then as long as I get to a good stopping point in MoT for a little while.

One thing that should probably have been mentioned in the OP (for those few who might be interested and actually notice this thread) is that there is a rubbing minigame in this. The only time it is forced on you is the first time with each girl and then you can skip it and still get the effects. Probably shouldn't come as a surprise considering it's Compile Heart and what a large amount of Drpgs have nowadays, but I know it's something that people will pass over it because.

Pretty interested in this one, though not sure if I'm gonna get it at launch since so much new stuff is coming out and I have so many DRPGs to play already on Vita.

Saphirax

I've been trying to avoid spoilers so apologies if this info is well known. This just arrived from Best Buy and I'd like to give it a shot but I was wondering a few things. Are there missable trophies or anything of note that is missable? I am lucky to play through a game once, let alone multiple times so I try to do everything I can in one play through. Having missable things,( especially when something little early on can lock you out of important stuff much later) can really detract from my enjoyment. Even more so when dealing with a long game. Thanks for any info.

Apparently you can miss one character. You have a really short time frame for recruiting her. No idea when it happens though.

Nice OT!

I've been waiting for this game, so I'm glad Friday (bah, EU) is almost here. Love the art style of this game. Not just the characters themselves, but the menus and the overall atmosphere as well. Good to see the game's getting favorable reviews so far.

Just had a message saying this'll be delivered tomorrow instead of the 22nd. Happy happy joy joy.

There're some details about it in one of the System links but yeah, could've been clearer. I've added your post to the OP for clarity.

Apparently you can miss one character. You have a really short time frame for recruiting her. No idea when it happens though.

Not what I was hoping to hear. Guess I'll wait a bit before starting. I hate using a guide for anything but I'm not sure I could handle missing a character. Thanks for the help!

Huh, the store where I buy most of my games now shows it as 'in stock' instead of just displaying its release date (22-9) like it did yesterday. Hopefully I will receive my copy tomorrow as well.

Edit 17:55
And it's dispatched. Excellent, now I can play it tomorrow.

kromeo

Compile Heart obviously has me cautious but I did pre order this based on the fact I liked the Experience Inc games on Vita

Definitely feels closer to previous Compile DRPGs than Experience ones (for obvious reasons). Though I've never been a fan of the "Harem Leader" having a weird, floating support role in battle.

Edit: I DIDN'T REALIZE NIGHTMARES MOVED IN REAL TIME

Cue me screaming blind through a dungeon as it scuttled toward me, thinking it would have come on a turn by turn basis.

Just going over some gameplay videos (not getting my copy till Friday I guess) and damn did they skimp on the dub. There's barely any voiced scenes when compared to just about everything being voiced in Japanese, glad they kept the JP voices.

Not what I was hoping to hear. Guess I'll wait a bit before starting. I hate using a guide for anything but I'm not sure I could handle missing a character. Thanks for the help!
Apparently this is how you get her. The info's a mix from 2 sources:

Upgrade the Mary Gun fully (3 times) then in Chapter 7 go to the bottom-right area of City Streets, Area 2. Turn your back to the ravine and use the fully-upgraded gun to launch yourself across the chasm and head downstairs. Inside you'll meet the hidden character, Hameln, who will attack you after a short scene. Beat her and she'll join you.

If it wasn't obvious, she's the last character in the Cast section of the OP. Also according to one of the above sources, you don't need to recruit her to get the true ending.

Gradon

I'm getting this tomorrow as it posted today :)
I'm not a fan of fan service at all but if I can mostly avoid it I am super excited for this.

Got my LE today and played the first hours. I'm really digging this game. The music is pretty great (sadly no OST in the LE), the story surprisingly interesting, the artstyle excellent and the gameplay satisfying. Good stuff.

Also got my LE today. Been playing for like 12 hours straight and've just stopped for sleep, so I'm not in any kind of mental state to post proper impressions. Long story short, it's everything I'd goddamn hoped for, and I want to splatter luminous pink paint over my bedroom walls in celebration that it's lived up to the ridiculous hype I had for it. I know I'm not that far in so theoretically that could change, but unless the game sets my PSTV alight and burns my house down there's no way it doesn't end up being my GOTY. And probably also my favourite thing I've played since... uh, Trillion I guess.

Apparently this is how you get her. The info's a mix from 2 sources:

Upgrade the Mary Gun fully (3 times) then in Chapter 7 go to the bottom-right area of City Streets, Area 2. Turn your back to the ravine and use the fully-upgraded gun to launch yourself across the chasm and head downstairs. Inside you'll meet the hidden character, Hameln, who will attack you after a short scene. Beat her and she'll join you.

If it wasn't obvious, she's the last character in the Cast section of the OP. Also according to one of the above sources, you don't need to recruit her to get the true ending.

Thanks! Definitely something I would've missed on my own.

It annoys me that the game's icon on the Vita's menu is called "MSNightEU".

It's MSNight here. And the trophies don't seem to be on the server for this or Ys VIII Vita (not that Ys VIII is in anyway Idea Factory, just upset)

Also I have no idea where Flat Spirit and Large Flower Seeds are?

DLC's now up on the EU store as well. There're just a couple of free things - some basic items, an equippable that lowers encounter rate and a job that anyone can use. IIRC its skills are pretty bad (some basic water attacks and a weak heal), plus I dislike the idea of common jobs since they reduce the individualities between classes, so I may not actually get it.

Xbucxw0.jpg

Can't see the free themes on the EU store yet, though they're apparently up on the US one.

I'm currently on chapter 3 (Downtown route rather than Temple) and trying to make some long term decisions about my party, since I can see my current setup losing effectiveness the further into hard mode I get. Really wish I could find a list of skills the Mimic job can learn, since it'd be a huge help in my planning. Well, I'm using Gretel regardless anyway once I get her.

SephLuis

I'm currently on chapter 3 (Downtown route rather than Temple) and trying to make some long term decisions about my party, since I can see my current setup losing effectiveness the further into hard mode I get. Really wish I could find a list of skills the Mimic job can learn, since it'd be a huge help in my planning. Well, I'm using Gretel regardless anyway once I get her.

I already finished Downtown and I am going through Temple now. Seems much easier, but I am clearly over leveled since I explored everything I could in Downtown.

Just recently I got to a party that I am comfortable with:

Alice as Destroyer
Cinderella as a Paladin
Thumbelina as a regular mage (but I opened the "medic" job that gives her healing skills)
Sleepy as a Dark Seeker
Red as a Fairy (I guess that was the name of the job. Looks like a dancer though)
Snow White as a mimic

Alice and Cinderella are the only ones in the front. Usually Sleepy makes a hit against any enemy, Cinderella protects everyone, Alice destroys almost every enemy and the other characters kill the rest. Snow White, Red and Thumbelina also act as healers from time to time.

Gradon

Am I the only one thinking the 300mb+ is a bit much for a job DLC? Anyways I'm about to sink my teeth into this now. Hope I love it as much I thought I would.

Still waiting on those free themes.
I also hate that it's called "MSNightEU" on my Vita :S

I wasn't expecting Horror to be as brutally unfair as it is early game. I Game Overed several times without even a chance to save. And even after that initial piece of hell, the first real dungeon run is still very hit and run dependent and certain enemies will just end you, so save a lot.

Am I the only one thinking the 300mb+ is a bit much for a job DLC? Anyways I'm about to sink my teeth into this now. Hope I love it as much I thought I would.

Still waiting on those free themes.
I also hate that it's called "MSNightEU" on my Vita :S

So that's why it took so long to download. I didn't bother checking the size, I simply assumed my WiFi was acting up again. But yeah, that's a bit much. Until I get a larger memory card, I can't really afford 'wasting' so much space on this kind of stuff...

Haven't seen the free themes yet, either. I do hope they'll be released here.

Saphirax

I had to rewatch the opening because IFI didn’t deem it important to use English subtitles if you chose Japanese voices. 👌🏻

Woah. Is it just me or is this actually an Idea Factory game that looks pretty darn good?

It is. After ~10h it finally feels like a game with a proper budget and polish (for a game by IF). I'm a fan of their games for a long time now, but this is a huge step up above most recent games from them.

Or just the complete opposite of MeiQ if you like.

It is. After ~10h it finally feels like a game with a proper budget and polish (for a game by IF). I'm a fan of their games for a long time now, but this is a huge step up above most recent games from them.

Or just the complete opposite of MeiQ if you like.
Good, because MeiQ is pretty awful

Gradon

Up to Chapter 2, my only complaint so far is the dub is missing in several areas. Switched to the Japanese dub because I dislike scenes with emptyness.

I'm enjoying it so far, I hope the dungeons themes change (which I assume they will), whats the point in the affection mechanic? Is it just for bonus voices?

Oh I also messaged IFI if we'll get the themes in EU, just waiting for a response.

Top Bottom