• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony now doing beta tests for PS4 firmware

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Getting some stability updates early.

Sounds great.

ibbsZ9rxaW5HBe.gif

Good luck beta testers. I recommend not trusting S/R and still save. Took MS months to take it out of beta and it still messes up some times a year and a half later.

Why even NDA this? It's a feature the competition already has, and it's an excellent feature.

NDA basically means we are working on something that's not ready for public and we prevent you from talking anything good or bad about it until it's either publicly released.

As of now, Rest/Suspend is broken on PS4 and this update may or may not work as planned and may even brick the console so as of now it's not a public release and things will change.

Noobcraft

So if this does brick the console is it under warranty? The Xbox One preview program extends the console warranty indefinitely as long as the problem was software related.

TalonJH

Didn't take long for that one to leak. I'm kind of surprised that they want to keep the bullet points quiet. Interesting stuff in the patch notes. I won't go any further than that.

Edit: sounds like the actual patch notes were also posted.

Lol, looks like suspend/resume feature has been leaked on Twitter.
Finally! I was hoping we got this soon.
Edit: lol, I'm late.

Kayant

Why even NDA this? It's a feature the competition already has, and it's an excellent feature.

Because it's a private program... Just because MS's program is more open doesn't mean theirs needs to or should be. That's how they want to test stuff and add "value" to their MVP program and as mentioned it avoids those headlines ;). Also reduces the impact if things go wrong.

Wakka212

Now that suspend/resume is in, the only two features I'm desperate for are folders and DLNA.

External HDD support would be nice down the road.

Ramza

Banned
With suspend and resume, if a power outage hits or I unplug the system do I lose that suspend?

More than likely. It's just keeping it in RAM essentially, I believe. Kind of like a PC in sleep mode. It's why I have my PS4 on a battery backup

Derpyduck

Banned
The PS4 gets out of Rest Mode quite quickly when something is downloading. I'm assuming this feature will match that speed for suspended games.

I hope not, because that just means they're not actually turning off the PS4 when putting a game into Suspend mode. While downloading, the console isn't really in rest mode. That's why it comes on instantly (and also why the fans still run at a full blast).

I hope not, because that just means they're not actually turning off the PS4 when putting a game into Suspend mode. While downloading, the console isn't really in rest mode. That's why it comes on instantly (and also why the fans still run at a full blast).
Actually it still is. Just the base functions of the firmware are being kept active with the secondary processor and it's own pool of RAM. Another of the reasons it starts up so fast is because the HDD is still active when downloading.

The power consumption is still super low and the main CPU/GPU/RAM is completely powered down.

hawk2025

If your fans are running at full blast as it downloads and runs no software, I would get the system checked.

Saiyan-Rox

so Sony don't give this to the private Beta community in the EU....why doesn't this surprise me in the slightest the whole program is a joke now tbh.

So what are the "other features"?

eFKac

First Sony's "me too" this gen?

It's good though, that was a good idea from MS, I wonder if Sony has a big and competent enough OS team to pull a monthly model.

Ramza

Banned
No HDMI cec device in your setup?

Funny. I made a thread about the glories of CEC the other day. I was surprised how many people didn't even know what it was.

First Sony's "me too" this gen?

It's good though, that was a good idea from MS, I wonder if Sony has a big and competent enough OS team to pull a monthly model.

I believe the idea originated with Sony, it just took them forever to implement and MS beat them to the punch.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
If your fans are running at full blast as it downloads and runs no software, I would get the system checked.
Yeah, based on my testing the full blast is when the system is at 120 Watt. That's something many games I play every day don't even achieve in addition to doing all the various tasks of the PS4.

Derpyduck

Banned

I've used 4 PS4s now. All continue to run the fans when downloading. It never fully goes into Rest mode until the downloads have completed. Same goes for cloud uploads. I said full blast, but that's misleading since the fan on my current PS4 only seems to run at one speed anyway. It's either on or off, which is very different than from the PS4 I put in my daughters room. Its fan stays on too, but at a normal level when downloading. Otherwise it's obnoxiously loud while playing games. Part of the reason I gave it to her.

Wakka212

I think thats the compromise. If the PS4 turns off, applications have to turn off. Rest Mode doesn't turn the PS4 off, it leaves it on in a lower power state.

I would hope they've considered the fan issue and have implemented a solution.

Deleting trophies with 0% completion is something PS has needed for fucking ages so I'm glad that's in.

Could have gone a bit further, though, really.

Top Bottom