• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | January 7-13 | All Eyez on Mr. Wizard

MrDaravon

Less than 2 hours to go before the Evo line-up is announced, so I figure I'd stick my neck out with my predictions:

SSF4AE12
UMvC3
TTT2
P4A
KOF13
MK9

- I expect 6 games, with the odds of the above 6 making the cut in order from most likely to least. SF4 and MvC3 are givens. A new Tekken is traditionally a lock during its release year, and nothing about TTT2 indicates otherwise. P4A is kind of a dark horse, but it seems to consistently pull good numbers at majors for a non-Capcom game. KOF13 and MK9 have a chance of being dropped due to low attendance, but I just don't see anything else unseating them.

- The game with the most entrants will be the "main game." I expect this to once again be SF4.

- I expect that SFxTK's inclusion in IPL actually gives Evo less of a reason to include this game in their lineup, as this gives the xTK playerbase a dedicated alternative and frees SRK from having to worry whether the 2013 patch is good enough to turn interest around or not.

- There is no hype for PSASBR and while I think it's possible that Sony could moneyhat their way into the ring, I don't expect it.

- Injustice is too much of an unknown. I know MK9 and SFxTK have snuck into the Evo line-up in the past even before they were released, but I don't expect that to happen this time.

- DOA5, VF5FS, SCV, Skullgirls, and GGAC+ are out of the running, barring the possibility of "official side tournaments" like Sega did with VF5 last year.

- Just realized as I typed this up that I didn't consider Blazblue at all, but I literally know nothing about that game's scene, its typical turn-out, or anything about its new release.

I pretty much agree with this, although I think Injustice may get in over MK9.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So long as VF has a side stream I'd be happy. That's all I watched last EVO and it was great.
Did you catch me stumbling my way to victory in my first match?

It was funny as hell. I hadn't played the game for a month so the whole time I was just gradually trying to remember the small pittance of moves and tactics that I only sort of knew how to use right in the first place.

There is absolutely zero chance BlazBlue will make it. No firm release date, and at earliest it will hit around EVO time anyways, and likely in JP. The entire game is hearsay for consoles.

Yep I think the only real question is injustice or mk and if they want to try another casual game like smash to go alongside marvel.

I hope they do.

Quick poll - which Victory theme version do you guys like the most? MvC3 Vanilla or Ultimate MvC3?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBieW1Mbzl8 (Vanilla)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oMUEyArIyY (Ultimate)
So far I have:
Vanilla:
Anth0ny
Azure J
Bizazedo
Dahbomb
Seven Force
Sixfortyfive
TWILT
WesternHeretic

Ultimate:
Professor Beef

The winning version will get something for sure, I have an idea already! It's going to take some time to do tho. Also some cleaning, rewiring and maintenance.

Vanilla version is more of a rock song you could play with your band with some synth fills thrown in. Ultimate goes nuts with heavy synths everywhere and has an entirely new (synth'ed)bass line and rave-like build-up bridge. I like both for different reasons.

Vanilla>>>>>>Ultimate. Also, the Vanilla character select them is one of the best period.

Xevren

Did you catch me stumbling my way to victory in my first match?

It was funny as hell. I hadn't played the game for a month so the whole time I was just gradually trying to remember the small pittance of moves and tactics that I only sort of knew how to use right in the first place.

No, but I did see the Zerochan scream as that happened. Think my favorite was just watching the Japanese El Blaze player play, so good.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
EVO lineup;

Marvel 1
Marvel 2
Marvel 3
University of Marvel vs Cornell 3
Marvel 4: Back to the Future
Clayfighter 63 1/3

Dahbomb

EVO lineup;

Marvel 1
Marvel 2
Marvel 3
University of Marvel vs Cornell 3
Marvel 4: Back to the Future
Clayfighter 63 1/3
No chance Clayfighter makes it in this year. Kelloggs vs Capcom: Cross Generation of Cereal has the money hats and the fanbase support.

tumblr_lp0ng0oAh81qlxohso1_500.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ii2y8ZvfK0

MK9 is in a place where I genuinely can't see it coming back but can't come up with an "obvious" game to set up as a replacement. It had pretty pitiful numbers last Evo if I remember. Melee is the only thing I can think of given the poll. Injustice, as others have mentioned, is a complete unknown and something I don't believe we'll be seeing at Evo.

Gonna go with the Vanilla theme myself, if anything for the awesome Space Jam Mix

Also, the list that would make me happy for EVO 2013:

AE 2012
UMVC3
KOFXIII
P4A
TTT2
Melee

I'll endorse this list.

Also best Jam Mix is Nova Jam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqrb8WwTE4k

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm just hoping arc holds off on releasing BBCP until after evo for player base reasons. Though I personally want to play it as soon as I can.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
MK9 is in a place where I genuinely can't see it coming back but can't come up with an "obvious" game to set up as a replacement. It had pretty pitiful numbers last Evo if I remember.
This is where I'm at, too.

I also realized that I never considered Smash either, but really, that's not happening due to equipment needs alone.

I owned and enjoyed that game.
I won a match in it during a mystery tournament once. On some really shitty SNES stick, too.

MAN I would run Cross Generation of Cereal with the Toucan Sam/Tony the Tiger combo.

Shit would be ah-ma-ZING.

And Vanilla victory theme is clearly king shit. Win screen and character select was better too.

My prediction is that those of you expecting 5-6 games are in for a surprise, because apparently this year's venue is super huge (more than 80000 square ft). I wouldn't be surprise to see more than 6 games in the lineup.

notworksafe

I'll stick with my original guesses...

AE
UMVC3
KOF
TTT2
SFxTK
Sony Smash

Capcom gonna be pushing hard for SFxTK and Sony is gonna be paying big for All-Stars. Injustice is a possibility because of WB's big checkbook but I'll bet against it.

My prediction is that those of you expecting 5-6 games are in for a surprise, because apparently this year's venue is super huge (more than 80000 square ft). I wouldn't be surprise to see more than 6 games in the lineup.

Venue size isn't the issue really...it's a lack of time more than anything. EVO has done tons of games before (2004 had like 9 or 10 games I think), but not with the numbers of people that attend it now.

This is where I'm at, too.

I also realized that I never considered Smash either, but really, that's not happening due to equipment needs alone.

I can say with confidence that Melee is likely not happening.

If it was, I'm sure me and other organizers on the Smash side would have at least been contacted by now. None of the prominent Vegas or Cali smash heads have heard a peep.

They can surprise us for sure, but I doubt Mr. Wizard would make such a big announcement without consulting a few people first.

The issue is time, not space. You can't fit 7+ games worth of finals unless it was top 4.

sleepykyo

I'll stick with my original guesses...

AE
UMVC3
KOF
TTT2
SFxTK
Sony Smash

Capcom gonna be pushing hard for SFxTK and Sony is gonna be paying big for All-Stars. Injustice is a possibility because of WB's big checkbook but I'll bet against it.

Venue size isn't the issue really...it's a lack of time more than anything.

I'd replace Smash with Injustice. Playstation All Stars already bombed and it isn't like Evo is going bring in that many numbers.

notworksafe

I'd replace Smash with Injustice. Playstation All Stars already bombed and it isn't like Evo is going bring in that many numbers.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised to see Injustice. I just don't hear much demand for it...but I also don't go to the TYM forums much.

gutabo

Quick poll - which Victory theme version do you guys like the most? MvC3 Vanilla or Ultimate MvC3?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBieW1Mbzl8 (Vanilla)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oMUEyArIyY (Ultimate)
So far we have:
Vanilla:
Anth0ny
Azure J
Bizazedo
Chavelo
Dahbomb
EarlyEarly
enzo_gt
Killa Sasa
MiniBossBattle
Ragingnight
Seven Force
Sixfortyfive
TWILT
WesternHeretic

Ultimate:
Professor Beef

The winning version will get something for sure, I have an idea already! It's going to take some time to do tho. Also some cleaning, rewiring and maintenance.

Seems like we have a clear winner, you have some more time for a miracle, Beef!

Chavelo

lol Beef doesn't even like Ultimate. He's just trying to go with his "Controversial post of the...." thing he has going on.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How big was last years?

So, who's making the EVO 2013 announcement thread in a few?
I say we make the thread after they're announced, and whoever makes it doesn't do it reactionary and make a shit OP they never update.

I'm down to do it though, if no one else wants to.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
How big was last years?

I say we make the thread after they're announced, and whoever makes it doesn't do it reactionary and make a shit OP they never update.

I'm down to do it though, if no one else wants to.

Might as well make it now so we can get hype and make fun of anime fans as the games are announced.

Riposte

A 80,000 sq ft venue is ridiculously massive if true. Can fit ~10,000 people comfortably.

EVO is getting really big. I bet it will move to a convention center in a few years.

notworksafe

A 80,000 sq ft venue is ridiculously massive if true. Can fit ~10,000 people comfortably.

EVO is getting really big. I bet it will move to a convention center in a few years.

The Paris ballroom is an 85k sq ft space. So yeah, it's gonna be huge.

EDIT: Last year's was like 50k iirc

Top Bottom