• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokédex 3D announced for eShop (Free). Gotta 3D 'em all!

Bizzyb

Banned
Alextended said:
They wouldn't make all these 3D models just for this app, right? Hopefully the 3DS Pokemon games have graphics similar to thise, not just in battles but everywhere. With better lighting and some shaders and that not it would look pretty impressive I think, though for this app they're sufficient as is.

I will laugh my ass off and wash my hands clean of this series if the next official Pokemon game for 3DS looks only slightly better than B&W and plays more or less the exact same with only a few more attack frames/sounds added

KamenSenshi

Htown said:
calling it now, when the 3ds pokemon game comes around, you'll be able to walk up to somebody else with the game, start a local battle, throw down an AR card and have your pokemans fight each other on the sidewalk.
-Boing-

CoolS

Bizzyb said:
I will laugh my ass off and wash my hands clean of this series if the next official Pokemon game for 3DS looks only slightly better than B&W and plays more or less the exact same with only a few more attack frames/sounds added

Goodbye then, at least for the plays the same part :/

I like the stealth Shantae representation. Everyone without a DSi better get that when the eShop launches. :)

Those models are of great resolution, though. Those rounded edges don't show a single polygon.

While I personally hope future Pokemon titles continue with the animated sprites, I guess 3D models won't be so bad, either.

rexor0717

Bizzyb said:
I agree entirely. If they won't step up and take full advantage of what the 3DS has to offer, then I have no interest in their game.

Htown said:
calling it now, when the 3ds pokemon game comes around, you'll be able to walk up to somebody else with the game, start a local battle, throw down an AR card and have your pokemans fight each other on the sidewalk.

I had a conversation with a friend about this exact idea (along with sharing trainer cards via streetpass and other such awesomeness), and when you think about it this is also a good reason why Nintendo didn't just "upgrade" B&W for 3DS launch.

More than Mario or any other franchise, 3DS's Pokemon game could be the most important title we see on the system. It was for Game Boy.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Bozon-IGN said:
I had a conversation with a friend about this exact idea (along with sharing trainer cards via streetpass and other such awesomeness), and when you think about it this is also a good reason why Nintendo didn't just "upgrade" B&W for 3DS launch.

More than Mario or any other franchise, 3DS's Pokemon game could be the most important title we see on the system. It was for Game Boy.
"Former IGN editor Mark Bozon confirms Augmented Reality Pokemon battles for Pokemon 3DS"

:)

Fantastical said:
"Former IGN editor Mark Bozon confirms Augmented Reality Pokemon battles for Pokemon 3DS"

:)
Speaking of which, I don't think we've seen Boz or Matt coment on Cafe. Dunno if they actually can, though.

KamenSenshi

Getting a 3DS and playing with the ar stuff got me sorta pumped for the future but the thought of truly being able to battle -and- see progress graphically for the Pokemon series is what really has me excited right now. Pokemon AR Stadium sounds like the killer app of killer apps. Hope Nintendo follows through on this and that its not just an awesome one time thing.

Neiteio

Sammy Samusu said:
OH SHIT! OH SHIT! OH SHIT!

June is the best month ever! Nintenchristmas!
*Iwata's disembodied head jitters in the sky, his mouth flapping JibJab-style as free Pokedex 3D and Excitebike 3D apps rain from the heavens*

Bizzyb said:
Same. Well, they just need to keep making it deeper and improve the visuals.

Here’s How Augmented Reality In Pokédex 3D Will Work [Siliconera]

Each Pokémon has its own special AR Marker — a black and white image — required to make them pop out. We aren’t sure if you’ll have to print these out yourself, but that’s what appears to be the case so far. When you’re using the AR mode, your Pokémon will be fully animated, and you’ll be able to coax them into performing special actions using different items. There’s no mention of AR battles, unfortunately.

You’ll also be able to add Pokémon to existing pictures you’ve already taken and stored on your SD card. Nintendo say you’ll unlock new features as you increase the number of AR Markers in Pokédex 3D.
Pokémons in augmented reality and fully animated, I'm not worthy!

AceBandage said:
So much better than I expected! I thought it would just be like the Pose Mii thing. This is awesome!
I hope they make the noises too.
:D
I know! When I read good news about Nintendo the first thing that comes to my mind is: "this must be a mistranslation."

I need a video, damn.

Takao

Banned
You're all going to be disappointed when you play an AUG enhanced Pokemon game. Especially since the 3DS needs the special cards. You'll start to just battle within the realm as setup, and speed will be considerably easier. That's exactly how I felt with Invizimals after a while.

Takao said:
You're all going to be disappointed when you play an AUG enhanced Pokemon game. Especially since the 3DS needs the special cards.

Eh? I've been using the AR stuff on the 3DS for a while.

Takao

Banned
AceBandage said:
Eh? I've been using the AR stuff on the 3DS for a while.

I'm saying it'll be a neat novelty, but it won't enhance the game at all. Pokemon battles are pretty fast in terms of getting from adventure to battle. Having to set up the AR cards, stay in position, and battle will get tiring quickly. It's not portable friendly, which is why I often question people who want a TCG enhanced handheld ARG.

Woffls

Takao said:
I'm saying it'll be a neat novelty, but it won't enhance the game at all. Pokemon battles are pretty fast in terms of getting from adventure to battle. Having to set up the AR cards, stay in position, and battle will get tiring quickly.
Trading Card Game.

[edit] Oh there's an edit. Well, the TCG is much slower than the RPG. I think Pokémon using AR will be TCG2 that can read the physical cards. Obviously I wouldn't want to prat around with AR cards during a Pokémon RPG.

Another better implementation would be Pokémon Snap on 3DS.

Big One

Banned
Takao said:
I'm saying it'll be a neat novelty, but it won't enhance the game at all. Pokemon battles are pretty fast in terms of getting from adventure to battle. Having to set up the AR cards, stay in position, and battle will get tiring quickly. It's not portable friendly, which is why I often question people who want a TCG enhanced handheld ARG.
I think AR could be used creatively, however.

Nothing to do with setting up cards, just have it be like Face Raiders. You go outside, it detects the surroundings and colors. Walk around and random Pokemon encounters based off the surroundings.

That's all that's needed. Make it for old Pokemon that you don't normally get in the game.

Fat Goron

"Each Pokémon has its own special AR Marker — a black and white image — required to make them pop out. We aren’t sure if you’ll have to print these out yourself, but that’s what appears to be the case so far."

Do not want.

M3d10n

Busaiku said:
I wonder if Nintendo's gonna charge for individual AR cards.
But you can print them. What's the point? (They even have the 3DS AR cards in PDF format in their website for download).

So do we all get different 'mon?

I got pretty much all the starter stages, minccino, hydreigon and audino... a couple of others I think too.

mandiller

Android18a said:
So do we all get different 'mon?

I got pretty much all the starter stages, minccino, hydreigon and audino... a couple of others I think too.

I got the same as you. Perhaps we all start the same?

The 16 pokomanze I got are:

Audino
Axew
Dewott
Emboar
Emolga
Foongus
Hydreigon
Minccino
Oshawott
Pignite
Samurott
Scraggy
Serperior
Servine
Snivy
Tepig

web01

The 3D models look really nice,
No way did they make them just for this after all this is nintendo.

Putting that aside how do you collect pokemon i dont really get it.

Top Bottom