• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienation |OT| They're coming outta the goddamn walls!

Co-op local is so fking good in this game.
How's the single player?

Is the loot interesting?

Yea it's fine. Loot does not change if you're playing solo or mp.

But this ain't the game to play SP. Just robbing yourself of the best the game has to offer.

That said I don't know how easy it is to find other players just starting out, probably not so easy. I'm sure every is level 30+.

FerranMG

The season pass is also on sale for around 5€, I think.

The guys at the Housemarque forums have said they don't currently have plans to add more content to the game because their publisher doesn't want so, but that this could very much change if the game sells more.

I can only say this is my GOTY. :)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Co-op local is so fking good in this game.

Yea it's fine. Loot does not change if you're playing solo or mp.

But this ain't the game to play SP. Just robbing yourself of the best the game has to offer.

That said I don't know how easy it is to find other players just starting out, probably not so easy. I'm sure every is level 30+.

Bought this last night, and played about 4 levels at the second easiest difficulty. Every time someone jumped into my game at some point... so yeah, probably a lot of new players coming in because of the sale.

The game is fantastic, really enjoyed it.

jhmostyn

Neo Member
I just got an eight slot, legendary devastator with grenade action, unbelievably powerful, strolling through arks now, feels like a cheat code.

Only downside is that it is so chaotic everyone leaves my games immediately

jhmostyn

Neo Member
Try increasing difficulty if it becomes too easy for you.

Is that possible on an Ark? They don't have difficulty like normal levels, but I could be missing something somewhere?

Just did the weekly challenge, solo, which was causing me major cramp with my revolver. About halfway through I started burning the save points as I was confident I didn't need them.

It's weird my Google searches for thus permutation aren't bringing up anything? Wonder how rare it is?

Would be happy to set up a coop session if we can confirm I haven't missed something really obvious and am wasting time!

jhmostyn

Neo Member
Is that possible on an Ark? They don't have difficulty like normal levels, but I could be missing something somewhere?

Ok, on second run there is a new Ark difficulty, and I can confirm it is more difficult :)

Still think this has to be one of the silliest guns possible outside the 12 slotters

Ok, on second run there is a new Ark difficulty, and I can confirm it is more difficult :)

Still think this has to be one of the silliest guns possible outside the 12 slotters

I have a 11 slotter legendary and my weapon feels like a pea shooter at the higher difficulties.

jhmostyn

Neo Member
I have a 11 slotter legendary and my weapon feels like a pea shooter at the higher difficulties.

Are you going for the 'I Have the Power!' achievement?

I'm in my second honeymoon with the game, but, I think I would need to quit my job if I'm going to Plat the thing - the grind is scaring me back into other games / reality!!

edbrat

Still playing this, if you play Ark Ship on legendary it doesn't matter if you've got all twelve slot weapons you aren't cutting through anything in the later levels. With a good team you can clear it in sub 40 mins if everyone knows what they are doing. Just be prepared to wipe on floor 5 every now and again.

The heavy weapon for the DLC is not fun to play imo, it doesn't require skill just blast away with that thing and in an enclosed area its close to overpowered. After using it for a while I went back to the shotgun as the playstyle needed is simply more fun to me and a 12 slot with knockdown, an 18 shot magazine and pimped up rapid fire paralyses everything (someone/thing else needs to do the damage tho).

I've also found with slot optimisation, I assumed that getting the highest DPS ramped with more damage gems. Actually with the same weapon I'd get higher DPS with a more balanced selection of gems with the damage gems getting major diminishing returns. So respecced the slots a load of times and the best I've found is a balanced distribution between all the types and lots of linked gems. Obviously prismatic gems improve this further but it takes so long to get them and I've played this game for days and days and thinking about how long it would take to fill your arsenal with pure prismatic makes me want to give up gaming.

Anyway, I guess nothing will happen with this UNJUSTLY DISREGARDED GEM (if you're a PS4 owning gaffer who doesn't own this ffs man) until it hits PS+ then there will be an influx of new players at least. Such a crying shame that having created such wonderful gameplay loops and tools it won't get more content.

Just wanted to say that those that enjoyed Alienation would probably enjoy Livelock, which is on the flash sale at the moment. Another indy title that in my opinion, is worth your time.

It's quite story driven, unlike Alienation, with less replayability but much more focused. Worth a few playthroughs since each class significantly differentiates the playstyle (their tied to distinct weapons and abilities). Post game there are some endless modes and whatnot, but generally but it lacks the RPG elements that give alienation its sustainability, but I think it's more varied and fun while it lasts than Alienation is perosnally.

The story is interesting and the campaign missions all feature in unique environments, so it's a bit more varied than Alienation in that regard. I would not say it's a better game but it's definitely worth checking out for the flash sale price.

YOOOO! PS+ (Asia) for January finally has Alienation! I've always wanted to try this game but it came out in a busy period! I'm glad I waited though! I really hope people are still playing it lol.

But if Helldivers can still have 2000+ players winning wars right now I'm certain Alienation should still have a healthy community!

YOOOO! PS+ (Asia) for January finally has Alienation! I've always wanted to try this game but it came out in a busy period! I'm glad I waited though! I really hope people are still playing it lol.

But if Helldivers can still have 2000+ players winning wars right now I'm certain Alienation should still have a healthy community!
Yo what's your psn dude? Looking for dudes to play with. Just got it off plus as well

Hedgey

Got this game for free on PS+ Japan this month, holy hell is it a ton of fun!
It's like a top-down Destiny! (and I love Destiny)
I fell in love with Resogun when the PS4 launched and it was my favourite PS4 title for quite a while, but this game was completely off my radar! I had no clue it even existed.

5taquitos

Shame it didnt sell well, i did think it was an odd choice of game after Resogun. Hopefully we will get a Resogun sequel in the future, I think Alienation was great but had a bit of an ID crisis for most gamers.

Nex Machina is almost like a Resogun sequel/sidequel, as it shares many of the same features (saving humans, voxels, waves) but with a different mechanical approach.

Santar

Does anybody know if the asian retail disc release is the latest version of the game?
The Digital version is on sale now but I prefer physical games.

edbrat

yessss I may fire this up again if there is an influx from PS+. Haven't done an Ark run for a while. Probably forgotten how to play.

This is the most criminally disregarded game of the current generation GAF, do your bit to right this wrong even just a little bit.

TsuWave

I'm gonna buy some of the DLC because I got it from PS Plus and I want to support it.

I'm still learning the systems/mechanics but wow this is addictive, started playing yesterday and I haven't been able to put it down yet, I'm having so much fun.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
I'm gonna buy some of the DLC because I got it from PS Plus and I want to support it.

I'm still learning the systems/mechanics but wow this is addictive, started playing yesterday and I haven't been able to put it down yet, I'm having so much fun.

Game is highly addictive. I sunk 60 hours into my first character. The loot system seems simple at first, but man, you can fall down a hole with it. I think my Gear Power bonus is something like 5 million. So good though...

TsuWave

Game is highly addictive. I sunk 60 hours into my first character. The loot system seems simple at first, but man, you can fall down a hole with it. I think my Gear Power bonus is something like 5 million. So good though...

it is. wow at that gear power bonus. i'm nowhere near there. i'm finding it hard to find good weapons/gear i keep farming the same missions in harder difficulties but no luck. only time i managed to get rare weapons was when i joined this random mission that had a couple guys that were a much higher level than i am, i pretty much just tagged along and at the end got a purple secondary.

grmlin

Played some time tonight and I love it. Amazing game. Diffucilty takes a good step up after a while, very nice.

I think I'll play this a ton!

edbrat

it is. wow at that gear power bonus. i'm nowhere near there. i'm finding it hard to find good weapons/gear i keep farming the same missions in harder difficulties but no luck. only time i managed to get rare weapons was when i joined this random mission that had a couple guys that were a much higher level than i am, i pretty much just tagged along and at the end got a purple secondary.

basically get to world 2 asap and start tooling up for ark runs. Rewards are good and every now and again you'll be lucky enough to tag along with some god tier players and cash in ridiculously.

Think I have a couple of characters with c.5m gear, gonna fire it up and see if I can get back into it.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
basically get to world 2 asap and start tooling up for ark runs. Rewards are good and every now and again you'll be lucky enough to tag along with some god tier players and cash in ridiculously.

Think I have a couple of characters with c.5m gear, gonna fire it up and see if I can get back into it.

Yup, I have a ridiculous 12-slot minigun with maxed out cores that drops grenades allover the place. It literally melts anything.

Also, top tip: buy the primary weapon hack DLC.

TsuWave

this game. this fucking game.

holy shit, i'm level 27 and i just got a rare smg that triggers a boomerang whenever i shoot enemies. this thing shreds.

also, got my first "exotic", its a heavy minigun doesn't have any cool effects like the smg tho.

TsuWave

really got into this game, bought the dlc season pass yesterday. shame that it seemingly didn't sell that great and there's no more content coming for it. Game is right up my alley, great gameplay with a loot loop, really gutted i wasn't there from day one but i genuinely didn't know this game existed til it came out on PS Plus this month.

was just looking at Nex Machinaand it looks more like a Resogun type thing, which was great, but now that i've tried Alienation i want more of it

Top Bottom