• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Review Round-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunno sounds pretty good to me,it was always gonna struggle being compared to the 1st,but what I'm reading it's more of the same, mostly anyhow.Which is what I expected and wanted as it was so good

GAMEPROFF

Banned
22/2, 91% now.

Can be the first wave and that it goes down later again, but I get the feeling that these short resumees sound worse as it actually may be.

71 Metascore - 76 had the first one.

- J - D -

Oof, sounds like it'll fit right in line with all but one MCU 2nd chapter films being worse than the first.

Iron Man 2
Thor 2
Avengers 2
GotG 2

black070

I mean, it not feeling as fresh as the first isn't really much of a criticism - those same reviews are scoring it highly, the Thor 2/ Iron Man 2 comparisons are pretty knee-jerky.

Takyon

I watched the Jeremy Jahn's review. It's strange how he identified nebula talking about Thanos as a positive. Surely people are sick of Thanos being talked up as a big meanie.
I'm not surprised that the response to this movie is a bit flatter. I really enjoyed the first in theaters, but when I saw it again at home, it was just unfunny and boring.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
If it's more of the same then I'm happy.

That's what I feel, too.

I'm going to Guardians to see more of that thing I loved in Guardians 1, not to see something completely different. If I want something different, I'll just watch a different movie.

Pretty much as expected, sounds like it's still very good but not quite as good as the first one. I'm sure most people will still enjoy it a lot, I know I will.

I was expecting a more positive reception but it doesn't sound terrible either, just an average popcorn film. But the first one got great reviews and did nothing for me so hey, maybe I'll love Vol 2.

22/2, 91% now.

Can be the first wave and that it goes down later again, but I get the feeling that these short resumees sound worse as it actually may be.

71 Metascore - 76 had the first one.

It's going to have a decent RT % no matter what. These first reviews aren't very enthusiastic about it but it seems inoffensive enough to avoid rotten scores for the most part. The Marvel formula at work.

- J - D -

Reading and watching a few of these reviews I sensed a repeating critique that where this film should be exploring more emotional or personal depths of these characters, they turn those moments into another opportunity for a flippant joke.

Which, I suppose if you came out of the first GotG wanting exactly more of that, then here's another one just like that one.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, it not feeling as fresh as the first isn't really much of a criticism - those same reviews are scoring it highly, the Thor 2/ Iron Man 2 comparisons are pretty knee-jerky.

Yeah, considering many people liked the first one because it was so different than the other MCU movies with the misfits of character and the weirdness (talking racoon, big tree...) and that it was supposed to be the first flop for the MCU because of that (which is almost on every new movie now). I don't buy the freshness criticism, especially if I just want the same since I know the guardians now.

ps. regarding the forced quips/humor, C'mon people that's in every MCU movie (except for maybe Winter Soldier) starting with Iron Man 1, which was (and still is) my main complaint coming after the x-men and spider-man.

Sir Doom

After the second trailer. The magic of first seemed gone which is I'm afraid off. The first one was my favorite MCU and the bar was high.
Oh well. I'll still watch it and see that post credit scene with
Sly

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'll spoiler it. But it's already known he's in the movie

Still, many people dont want to know whats happening the the Aftercreditscenes, so no need to be a douche (dont take this personal), and write this open. At least until the movie has started in the most important regions.

Ugh. You know how that sounds? Sounds like a Marvel sequel to me.
Will watch. Will have fun and forget. Or will nitpick and forget. Still wish it's unforgetable.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The Reviews are beeing far from bad. A bit less excited then the last one, but the Average Score is right now only 0,1 lower then how the first one played out.
Dunno, I expect the AS still to get a bit lower, but it looks far from beeing an accident.

Can we please have a warning for that shitty Gamespot review. They seem to think posting what sound to be memorable movie beats as a review.

A good review should speak to the quality not just drop things that happen as examples without adding real explanation on why that's important.

AndersK

It sounds like it's slightly less good than the first movie. It's definitely not putting out a "Dark World" type vibe from the reviews I've read.

Its average is 0,1 or 0,2 from Logan's. It'll drop, but seems solid. Its a game of expectations really: GotG 1 blew peoples tepid expectations away, 2 would have to do significantly better to amaze in the same way. Its the nature of hype.

You're gonna see this with Deadpool 2 too. It''ll probably be good, but people want more - which is totally fair - but that'll ultimately impact the overall initial reception.

Cuburt

I wouldn't be so quick to assume the movie is bad. Vol. 2 was always fighting an uphill battle like any film that tries to make a follow up to a surprise hit, especially a comedy. Sophomore slump is a thing.

It's about as shocking that some people didn't think it's as good as the first as it is that some people were waiting to pounce on the negative reviews and shit on this film.

I guess it will end up around 75-80% RT when all is said and done which is very good. Sounds like a fun movie just without the surprise the first film was.

SilentRob

Saw it last week and it was...pretty OK!

It throws everything at the wall and sees what sticks only after the fact. I had to laugh quite a few times but a lot of jokes also fell very flat for me, even though the first movie wasn't hit & miss at all for me. Nearly every joke worked there.

Big problem of the movie is a lack of agency. It takes a looooooooong time until a villain emerges and until then they just kinda deal with various smaller problems. And when the villain does emerge...he's really disappointing. Very, very obvious even for non-comic-fans. What surprised me, though, is that this movie can be sad as hell. I legit had to keep back tears at one scene and it's not as happy-go-lucky as the first movie at all. It really goes all in on its family themes and does so really, really well.

So, overall...have to say, a little disappointing - the humor didn't work nearly as well as in the first movie, Chris Pratt is just...kinda there and pretty much fell completely flat for me (not sure if it was his performance or the writing, thinking both) but I was really surprised by how well it handled its heavier themes. Groot is definitely overused, but he's also responsible for the funniest scenes in the movie for me.

As a fan of the Marvel Universe its also pretty disappointing that this brings pretty much nothing to the Universe at large, other than one or two after-credit scenes promising characters for the future.

JimiNutz

Banned
Sounds about what I expected. I enjoyed the first one enough so am happy with more of the same. Didn't expect the sequel to have as much impact as the first one since that was such an unexpected success.

Liamario

Banned
I enjoyed the first movie, but it was the soundtrack that pulled it from a 7/10- 9/10. I always felt it was overrated to be honest.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Its average is 0,1 or 0,2 from Logan's. It'll drop, but seems solid. Its a game of expectations really: GotG 1 blew peoples tepid expectations away, 2 would have to do significantly better to amaze in the same way. Its the nature of hype.

You're gonna see this with Deadpool 2 too. It''ll probably be good, but people want more - which is totally fair - but that'll ultimately impact the overall initial reception.

I was thinking the same thing in regards to Deadpool. You gotta imagine the scripts for the first films got way more time put into them, compared to the sequels that are fully produced and released 2 years and some change later.

It's an expectations game with this off beat films. I bet people go gaga for Thor 3 just coming off the back of the forgettable Thor 2. Something fresh and completely different there is probably going to score big.

I thought the first Guardians was alright. Didn't love it as much as my friends but it was decent. Wondering how I'll feel about this one.

Speevy

Banned
Honestly, I think anyone would have trouble imbuing this movie with the freshness the first one had.

I wouldn't know where to take it, and it sounds like they didn't either.

Never really liked the first and it sounds like this one is more of the same. Easy pass for me.
See I thought the first half of the first was amazing,
but the dumb dancing at the end at the boss fight
almost cause me to lose my eye's as they they wanted to remind roll out of my head.

I have a feeling that when I see this I'll have similiar moments as I did to Austin Powers 2, that whole "come on.....You already did that joke!"

But will wait until it's on cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom