• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the whole deal with Crash anyways? I know Naughty Dog wasn't owned by Sony back then, but what happened to Universal Interactive? They merged with Activision in 2008. Usually when you merge you're not doing so hot, right? So why didn't Sony pick these guys up or at least try to grab Crash from them before they merged? I mean there was a large time frame there from realizing Crash's brand association with PlayStation and the time Activision got the rights.

I seriously doubt naughty dog would have any interest in developing another crash bandicoot game.
I never liked the design and the character to me is highly unappealing.
I wouldn't even be interested in another Crash by Naughty Dog. Some of the key players from Naughty Dog aren't there anymore. They can't make games like Crash or Jak anymore, and if they tried I'm not not convinced it would be any good. Not saying Uncharted and Last of Us are bad, but they are a different studio now. If Sony ever got a hold of the franchise again (which they won't) they'd have to find a new studio to make it.

I WOULD BUY TWO COPIES IF THIS IS THE CASE.

I seriously doubt naughty dog would have any interest in developing another crash bandicoot game.
I never liked the design and the character to me is highly unappealing.
I don't know, I've always liked Crash's design and abilities in the PS1 days. But, would I like to see another Crash game done well? Sure. Do I believe that it would ever happen? No.

She's a character from a new first party title with little relevance. There's plenty more spaces in the roster for characters that are actually somewhat recognisable. Then again, it could be good marketing for GR.

That´s the whole point. It would be a great way to advertise Gravity Rush game, and it might motivate some people to buy the Vita because of her. It´s a win win situation. Raising awareness for characters is also the goal of this game.

I've seen you mention this multiple times Loudninja. Not to distrust you but do you have a link of the confirmation to hand. I've seen an Arcade mode mentioned, but not explicitly a Story mode.

Thanks in advance.
Wasn't it confirmed during the reveal on GTTV? Around the time when they were discussing who the final boss would be?

Loudninja

I've seen you mention this multiple times Loudninja. Not to distrust you but do you have a link of the confirmation to hand. I've seen an Arcade mode mentioned, but not explicitly a Story mode.

Thanks in advance.

Sure
The best news of all, though, is that PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is primed with options. The game can be played locally or online with up to four players, which will no doubt be the meat of the experience for many players. But a single-player campaign has also been promised, one that will satisfy solo gamers while supplementing everyone else's experience. It's not only about online or only about single-player, but rather a combination of both. In other words: the best of both worlds.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1223840p1.html

Also the leaked info said their will be a story mode as well.

damn seeing that GOWIII stage makes me want to play the game again! is sony releasing this game so people will be reminded of franchise X and want to go buy the game? motherfuckers

Sure

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1223840p1.html

Also the leaked info said their will be a story mode as well.

Any word on the whole hit points alternate mode? Multiple people claim they read/saw/heard it somewhere and I'm desperate to know if there's an alternative to the main mode. My main gripe is the KO only via supers thing. I understand it's just working in reverse to most fighters out there, I just wanted this to have a traditional hit points system.

I'm not knocking their super meter thing - in fact I think it's pretty cool to have it in this type of brawler, I just wish that was on top of the traditional hit points system, allowing other methods of KOing people.

Another thing someone mentioned was Superbot locking out other methods of KOing purely for this demo/event, to focus on the supers - I want a source for that as well, I've been digging everywhere and I can't find anything :( I know the fish from Sandover can KO you but I'm just hoping they really aren't limiting it to just supers.

LBP / Buzz stage is brilliant.

Here's hoping for a stage built on a clash between Wipeout and Mod Nation Racers.
I've been hearing requests for a clash between WipEout and Gran Turismo and WipEout and Mod Nation, but I think a clash between WipEout and Motorstorm would be the best.

The WipEout world is a very clean and calculated one where as Motorstorm is very dirty and rough. Would make for the best clash in my opinion.

Drencrom

He takes his shirt off, everyone else squeals and dies.

1046618.jpg

That's melting icecream

Vidiot

Honestly this game couldn't be coming at a better time. the wait for the next Smash shouldn't be too bad since I'll be playing this. Not that I think this is just a holdover until Smash comes out, the game play videos make it look really fun.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
but Tomba's IP/copyright holder died long ago ,SCE just published the games in the US and don't actually own the IP..here see the copyright line

icEWL.jpg

there is no one for Sony to get the Tomba rights from.

I have no idea where you are drawing this conclusion from...

First of all, you're referring to a trade-mark, not a copyright.

Second, I'm not sure whom or what you're referring to when you say the 'copyright holder'. If it's a person you're referring to or a company? I would assume company and according to the USPTO it's " WHOOPEE CAMP CO., LTD. CORPORATION JAPAN 3-10-1, Senbanishi Minoo-shi, Osaka-fu JAPAN"

Third, I didn't do a search at the Japan Patent Office, but the US patent office shows both Tomba! trademarks as dead. Anybody can apply for the Tomba! trademark now (in the US anyways). As for the rights to the character...that is delving into murky waters since I'm not sure if their assets were liqudated after they closed.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
What I find interesting is that people seem to fail to grasp that this game is fanservice, just like Smash Bros is fan service.

PlayStation has a fan following. *GASP!*Shock!*Awe!*

Not everybody is familiar with PlayStation franchises. I get that.

But Nintendo fans, you've got to realize that not everybody is familiar with Nintendo franchises either.

Despite being a Nintendo gamer from the 80's, I didn't recognize all of the characters Nintendo included in Smash Bros. I still loved the game dearly. I love that Nintendo fans have a game they can go to that's just a love letter to the fans for their support over the years. Why is it such a travesty to some of you for Sony to do the same thing with PlayStation fans?

What makes Nintendo fans more worthy of a fanservice game than PlayStation fans? Sales? Come on man, get that shit out of here.

Over the 15+ years of PlayStation, Sony has amassed quite the history of franchises and single games that have quite the following.

If Sony manages to include in some capacity (whether playable characters, stages, sub-items, or other homages): Alundra, Legend of Legaia, Mark of Kri, Primal, Warhawk, Starhawk, Twisted Metal, Uncharted, inFAMOUS, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Patapon, Hot Shots, Folklore, Dark Cloud, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Colony Wars, Omega Boost, Incredible Crisis, LittleBigPlanet, Ghosthunter, Medievil, Ape Escape, Demon's Souls, Dead Nation, Flower, Journey, God of War, Heavenly Sword, Hot Shots, Killzone, WipEout, Intelligent Qube, Jeanne d'Arc, Jumping Flash, Legend of Dragoon, Loco Roco, Mister Mosquito, Mod Nation Racers, Motorstorm, War of the Monsters, Wild Arms, Rogue Galaxy, SOCOM, PaRappa the Rapper, Okage: The Shadow King, and Patapon,

PlayStation fans will be over the fricking moon.

Sure, you may not be familiar with a fraction of those franchises, but man, PS fans sure are, and the thought of playing a game that features all of those, and being able to duke it out with those characters? Shit.

How can, as Nintendo and Smash Bros fans, you not understand why that would appeal to PlayStation fans? Contrary to popular belief, most of us hardcore PS fans don't see those series or characters as D List, non-iconic franchises.

I can't imagine Sony sinking an Uncharted or Killzone sized budget into this title. I think they are completely aware that this thing is fan service, and I'm sure the budget for this game was reasonable enough to turn a profit, even if it doesn't sell 12 million units.

But what I'm really interested in is seeing how the revealed mechanics play out. It sounds really interesting, and different enough from Smash, while still being similar in the ways that count (for me, at least).

I find the KO/Super and AP system really intriguing. I'm hoping there will be a demo released or a beta of some sort (maybe with the 6 released characters and the four stages showed off so far) sometime before release.

I can see them packing in beta access in one of their fall releases (like one of the HD collections? Ratchet HD, maybe? or Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time?).

Then again, I'll be at E3 this year, so maybe I'll be able to try it out myself then! I'm definitely excited for this!

tl;dr: PlayStation fans love their franchises in the same way Nintendo fans love theirs. This is a good thing for us.

What I find interesting is that people seem to fail to grasp that this game is fanservice, just like Smash Bros is fan service.

But Nintendo fans, you've got to realize that not everybody is familiar with Nintendo franchises either.

Despite being a Nintendo gamer from the 80's, I didn't recognize all of the characters Nintendo included in Smash Bros. I still loved the game dearly. I love that Nintendo fans have a game they can go to that's just a love letter to the fans for their support over the years. Why is it such a travesty to some of you for Sony to do the same thing with PlayStation fans?

What makes Nintendo fans more worthy of a fanservice game than PlayStation fans? Sales? Come on man, get that shit out of here.

Over the 15+ years of PlayStation, Sony has amassed quite the history of franchises and single games that have quite the following.

If Sony manages to include in some capacity (whether playable characters, stages, sub-items, or other homages): Alundra, Legend of Legaia, Mark of Kri, Primal, Warhawk, Starhawk, Twisted Metal, Uncharted, inFAMOUS, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Patapon, Hot Shots, Folklore, Dark Cloud, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Colony Wars, Omega Boost, Incredible Crisis, LittleBigPlanet, Ghosthunter, Medievil, Ape Escape, Demon's Souls, Dead Nation, Flower, Journey, God of War, Heavenly Sword, Hot Shots, Killzone, WipEout, Intelligent Qube, Jeanne d'Arc, Jumping Flash, Legend of Dragoon, Loco Roco, Mister Mosquito, Mod Nation Racers, Motorstorm, War of the Monsters, Wild Arms, Rogue Galaxy, SOCOM, PaRappa the Rapper, Okage: The Shadow King, and Patapon,

Sure, you may not be familiar with a fraction of those franchises, but man, PS fans sure are, and the thought of playing a game that features all of those, and being able to duke it out with those characters? Shit.

How can, as Nintendo and Smash Bros fans, you not understand why that would appeal to PlayStation fans? Contrary to popular belief, most of us hardcore PS fans don't see those series or characters as D List, non-iconic franchises.

I can't imagine Sony sinking an Uncharted or Killzone sized budget into this title. I think they are completely aware that this thing is fan service, and I'm sure the budget for this game was reasonable enough to turn a profit, even if it doesn't sell 12 million units.

But what I'm really interested in is seeing how the revealed mechanics play out. It sounds really interesting, and different enough from Smash, while still being similar in the ways that count (for me, at least).

I find the KO/Super and AP system really intriguing. I'm hoping there will be a demo released or a beta of some sort (maybe with the 6 released characters and the four stages showed off so far) sometime before release.

I can see them packing in beta access in one of their fall releases (like one of the HD collections? Ratchet HD, maybe? or Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time?).

Then again, I'll be at E3 this year, so maybe I'll be able to try it out myself then! I'm definitely excited for this!

tl;dr: PlayStation fans love their franchises in the same way Nintendo fans love theirs. This is a good thing for us.
1327107604040.gif

Could not have said it better.

Loudninja

Completely agree,I am very excited to see what this game has to offer in the future.

Great comment Figboy. Would read again. Would recommend to a friend.

Another thing to point out is the PlayStation fans don't really give a darn about what the Nintendo fans have to say. And not say they are mutually exclusive groups because they are not, but just stating a general fact. No one is really ashamed that it looks just like Smash Bros because that's exactly what we've been asking for for years now. Really it's a shame that it took them this long to decide to make it, but it just goes to show it is a product that is being made by popular demand and that they are taking their time because they know this is will cover a lot of material we hold really close to our hearts.

Though I think we're past the point of salty non-PlayStation fans invading this topic.

smash bros is such a fun and cool game that i don't see why people are rabbling about a clone on another system. isn't more of smash bros style games a good thing?

and i grew up more with sony characters than i did with nintendo but maybe that's not a common thing

kuroshiki

smash bros is such a fun and cool game that i don't see why people are rabbling about a clone on another system. isn't more of smash bros style games a good thing?

and i grew up more with sony characters than i did with nintendo but maybe that's not a common thing

I started gaming with famicom but ended up staying longer in PS camp throughout my gaming life. No. That's not as uncommon as you think it is.

I never had an Nintendo system as a kid, my parents chose to buy me a PlayStation instead. I love Smash Bros and I grew up with Mario and Link and Pikachu too but those were all characters I knew from my GameBoy that I only played on car rides. PlayStation is what I played when I got home from school or had friends over on the weekends and as such those characters mean more to me. You're definitely not alone here.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Game looks neat, but I've got to say that the only thing that has hooked me is Parappa existing and the look of the stages. I really hope they've got some more interesting reveals. I don't think anyone was begging for Fat Princess to show up in a game or anyone caring about Sweet Tooth outside of his truck.

prwxv3

I am not sure where it fucking came from but there is a retarded generalization that no one loves any of Sony's characters.

Game looks neat, but I've got to say that the only thing that has hooked me is Parappa existing and the look of the stages. I really hope they've got some more interesting reveals. I don't think anyone was begging for Fat Princess to show up in a game or anyone caring about Sweet Tooth outside of his truck.

This is such a silly position to take.

Characters like Fat Princess and Sweet Tooth are there because they make the game a crazy mish-mash of different designs, not because they're the most popular characters in the world begging to be in the game.

When playing Smash Bros, it's fun to learn an obscure character you may not have heard of before. This is true for the vast majority of that game, the fun comes from the diversity of characters.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Characters like Fat Princess and Sweet Tooth are there because they make the game a crazy mish-mash of different designs, not because they're the most popular characters in the world begging to be in the game.

When playing Smash Bros, it's fun to learn an obscure character you may not have heard of before. This is true for the vast majority of that game, the fun comes from the diversity of characters.

I could think of a dozen other characters that could play like Sweet Tooth. I could make SackBoy play like Sweet Tooth. Replace his chain with a cardboard cutout of a chain.

Fat Princess is one of my all time favorite PSN games, it's given me a ridiculous amount of entertainment hours with local multiplayer with friends and family. I'm ecstatic she is in the game and will definitely play as her quite a bit. And believe me those Twisted Metal fans love Sweet Tooth the clown not just the vehicle (and they will be the first to correct you that his name is not actually Sweet Tooth).

There's so many franchises in the PlayStation library so there's almost no way you can be a fan of them all, but you don't need to be. Just stick with what excites you and know that what you don't care for can at the same time mean a lot to others.

It's a silly position to take to assume characters were added just to meet some quota or diversify the gameplay. Honestly Sweet Tooth and Fat Princess are perfect examples of characters that would take a lot of effort to make work and as Zoner said there's plenty of other characters that could have similar styles and be easier to implement.

Again it goes back to my point, just because they mean nothing to you doesn't mean they mean nothing to everyone. This is the same thing as the few angry Nintendo fans saying no one cares about PlayStation characters in general.

B.O.O.M

I could think of a dozen other characters that could play like Sweet Tooth. I could make SackBoy play like Sweet Tooth. Replace his chain with a cardboard cutout of a chain.

That just doesn't fit the character tho. Sweet tooth having a chainsaw just makes perfect sense. Don't worry plenty of other characters will show up with time that are even more popular. I saw even more popular because Sweet Tooth is actually very popular character among playstation fans

SmithnCo

Not every character can be Drake or Kratos tier. And even then I'd argue that Sweet Tooth is a big part of PS history, and people do like the character outside of the vehicle aspect. Fat Princess also has a following.

KingK

So I've never played MediEvil before, but after hearing a bunch of people recommending the dude from it and looking at a couple gameplay videos on youtube, Sir Dan would be a great addition to the roster. Judging from the 5 or 6 minutes I watched, the game seemed to have this awesome, almost Tim Burton-esque atmosphere to it.

I also think Sony should use his inclusion to to build demand for a franchise revival. The character looks great and recognizable, and I think there's lots of possibilities for a new MediEvil game. I could really see them making it into a Zelda-like structured game with a Tim Burton/Nightmare Before Christmas type atmosphere. Darksiders proved that there is demand for that type of game outside of Nintendo platforms as well, and there really aren't many games like it.

prwxv3

It seems the "lol plagiarism" shit has stopped for now. I can't believe the difference between inspiration and plagiarism is not well known.

prwxv3

So I've never played MediEvil before, but after hearing a bunch of people recommending the dude from it and looking at a couple gameplay videos on youtube, Sir Dan would be a great addition to the roster. Judging from the 5 or 6 minutes I watched, the game seemed to have this awesome, almost Tim Burton-esque atmosphere to it.

I also think Sony should use his inclusion to to build demand for a franchise revival. The character looks great and recognizable, and I think there's lots of possibilities for a new MediEvil game. I could really see them making it into a Zelda-like structured game with a Tim Burton/Nightmare Before Christmas type atmosphere. Darksiders proved that there is demand for that type of game outside of Nintendo platforms as well, and there really aren't many games like it.

I bet they are going to make a new parappa game. There was a article some time ago where one of the parappa creators said that their is place for him on vita. I would by a 10$ parappa game in a flash.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Not every character can be Drake or Kratos tier. And even then I'd argue that Sweet Tooth is a big part of PS history. Fat Princess also has a following.

Not really.

She is not a popular PS character and is from a new IP that not even big,there are tons of other Sony female characters (from the PSX days to this day) who deserve and should be here first instead of her, it was clearly they just pick here just because she is a fucking "princess" wearing pink (aka they want someone like Peach).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom