• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

zroid

Banned
dh1SjhP.png

2c065269047b40e990d0dca8ad21cb1b.png
77442bcd649b4507942bc571d8ecd52d.png
fb988ed5eeb74b17a15adbb27bf86b3f.png

Link to NHL Draft Lottery simulator

2016 NHL Entry Draft aggregate rankings

Events Schedule:

IIHF Womens World Championships 2016 (Kamloops, BC)
-- March 28 - April 4

NCAA Frozen Four (Tampa, FL)
-- April 7 - 9

NHL Playoffs start date
-- April 13

IIHF Mens Under-18 World Championships 2016 (Grand Forks, ND)
-- April 14 - 24

NHL Draft Lottery
-- April 30

IIHF Mens World Championships 2016 (Moscow / St Petersburg)
-- May 6 - 22

2016 Memorial Cup (Red Deer, AB)
-- May 19 - 29

NHL Awards (Las Vegas)
-- June 22

NHL Entry Draft (Buffalo, NY)
-- June 24 - 25

NHL Free Agency
-- July 1

2016 World Cup of Hockey (Toronto, ON)
-- Sept 17 - Oct 1

Big night for the tank.

I remember the exact date of last year's draft lottery because it was a friend's wedding. I was at the reception, checked my phone, and found out Edmonton won again.

The u18 tournament is from April 14-24 if you want to add that to the events timeline.

Lots of draft eligible players are going to strut their stuff.

And I'll probably be there in person so that's cool.

zroid

Banned
The u18 tournament is from April 14-24 if you want to add that to the events timeline.

Lots of draft eligible players are going to strut their stuff.

And I'll probably be there in person so that's cool.

Will do, and neat!

I think that's the tourney Canada always stinks at because all their top players are still playing in the CHL haha

Will do, and neat!

I think that's the tourney Canada always stinks at because all their top players are still playing in the CHL haha

Yeah that's typically what happens I think. First round of CHL playoffs should be done by then I think so that might help out.

In this year's case, Fabbro and Jost (two top-20 Canadian eligibles) played in the BCHL and were already eliminated from playoffs, should be at the U18. Jost is actually committed to the college in Grand Forks (UND Fighting Hawks - playing in the Frozen Four around the same time), so he's going to be getting some buzz on campus.

Logan Brown, another top-15 talent, is a duel Canadian and USA citizen and last I saw he announced he isn't playing for Canada. Not sure if he is playing for USA or not though.

Leafs being the most positive Canadian fan base is still weird for me
Bless the Shanaplan

Only a few months removed from being the most sour. It's only been really since the Phaneuf trade and the call ups (and the fact that the call ups weren't immediate disasters) that the mood around the club has become recklessly positive.

Samyy

Only a few months removed from being the most sour. It's only been really since the Phaneuf trade and the call ups (and the fact that the call ups weren't immediate disasters) that the mood around the club has become recklessly positive.

Bruh I've been dancing since Carlyle was canned

that fucking image in the OP

zroid pls it's too early for this shit, I'm about to call in sick now 😶🔫

IIHF game last night was pretty late, couldn't catch it...and Canada lost :'( at least it's pools.

Rooting for the Shorks, Florida, Philly and Caps. Habs were supposed to be there. 9-0 is so far away now 😭🔫

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Probably should've put "Woe, Canada...our home and playoff-less land!" Somewhere in that title.

Goddamn that shut out when just awhile only the Leafs and Oil missed.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Disagree while the fanbase and media seem more positive now there hasn't been any real change since the season started.

This season was just a breath of fresh air of no negativity, just sitting back and seeing where things ended up.

Next season though with some in the media already proclaiming they think this team can make the playoffs...it'll be interesting to see what happens.

calder

As a terribly disappointing season winds down, Jets fans have some bonus crushing unhappiness as the team manages to win *just* enough games down the stretch to really ruin our lottery odds. Winning two games (and an OTL) was all it took to have us go from top 3 odds to outside the top 5. There are some extremely strong tanks going on. :|

Fuck this shit man.

I've been thinking about what the Canucks will do this offseason.

Linden said Willie and the coaching staff are safe. But I don't know if they should be. The team overachieved last year, flamed out of the playoffs, and then woefully underachieved this year. Yes the injuries didn't help, but is a healthy lineup really going to compete for the playoffs next year? Our best prospects are already on the team, and Boeser and Demko are too far away (Demko isn't even needed yet).

These are the players currently signed for next year (excluding ELC), and their age in parentheses:
Sedin (36)
Sedin (36)
Burrows (35)
Hansen (30)
Higgins (33)
Sutter (27)
Dorsett (30)

Edler (30)
Tanev (27)
Sbisa (26)
Biega (28)

Miller (36)
Markstrom (26)

Add the players on ELC and any re-signings:
Baertschi (24)
Virtanen (20)
Horvat (21)
Granlund (23)
McCann (20)
Gaunce (22)

Tryamkin (22)
Hutton (23)

13 forwards, 6 defencemen, 2 goalies. Eerily similar team.

Now obviously there will be changes (Hamhuis re-signed, Burrows and Higgins likely bought out, McCann to spend the year in the AHL, FA signings, Matthews), but does this look like a playoff team to you?

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen
Sutter-Matthews-FA
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Granlund-McCann-Dorsett
Gaunce

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Hutton
Sbisa-Tryamkin
Biega

I wouldn't be surprised if Willie walked. If they're not going to totally gut the team then something needs to change. The Pacific isn't getting any easier. Calgary will get a goalie. Edmonton can't be this bad for this long. The California teams are still strong.

But hey, they have $16M in cap space to work with (before buyouts/trades) so who knows?

Top Bottom