• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of war: Ascension - SP TEASER

Fezan

i was dissapointed byt the animations in GOW3 but looks like SSM has upped there game.
just look at how kratos places his feet between elephant tusks and how ears are flapping on that elephant thingy

Though I think its important to keep expectations in check. It may unfair to expect a better opening than GOWIII.

I don't expect it either, but you never know. GOWIII was the culmination of a trilogy and the first proper visual blowout of the franchise on PS3. That initial wow factor has gone but I fully expect Ascension to be a refined and over the top experience. The sense of scale in the short teaser clips already showed me that SSM knows what they are doing.

Imho GOW 2 had the best sense of scale in the overall game (to be fair nothing can really top Gaia/Poseidon and Cronos but overall I liked the locales and scale of GoW2 better). It's my favourite GOW on consoles with Ghost of Sparta as the best handheld title.

rdrr gnr

Yeah. I'm not expecting scale to be Poseidon. I just hope it plays better or is more interesting.
Do you want me to possibly spoil what could be the opener? that temple-manticore-snake combo sure as hell won't be.
That's good.

TEH-CJ

Banned
lol i don't know the opener but i think i have a solid guess,I'm on the vita mostly so that's why you don't see me online much.

Kratos fighting barbarians with his fellow spartans

put money on it :p

edit: would be disapointed if that wasn't the opener haha

Binabik15

I hope to the fucking gods that pale Kratos plus family is a fucking dream. When they were still kicking around he was bronze god Kratos, dammit.

The rest looks pretty amazing, I hope there'll be Ghost of Sparta's spear+shield weapon in some form. My favourite extra weapon in the whole series, I think.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
lol i don't know the opener but i think i have a solid guess,I'm on the vita mostly so that's why you don't see me online much.I'll just put it here and hope I'm right.

lol come on, "solid guess" what's there solid?

I hope to the fucking gods that pale Kratos plus family is a fucking dream. When they were still kicking around he was bronze god Kratos, dammit.

The rest looks pretty amazing, I hope there'll be Ghost of Sparta's spear+shield weapon in some form. My favourite extra weapon in the whole series, I think.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46598368&postcount=210

Sid

What makes you think it's the barbarian fight? I'm pretty sure it's something completely new, which no one expects.
What else do you expect? IMO kratos receiving the blades later in the game and this being the only significant fight before it helps my point.

Cesar

Banned
What makes you think it's the barbarian fight? I'm pretty sure it's something completely new, which no one expects.

I was also thinking the barbarian fight. The CM in this thread said the opening has scale, but a different type of scale as the Poseidon fight. Two ancient armies on a large battlefield, sure sounds epic to me.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
What else do you expect? IMO kratos receiving the blades later in the game and this being the only significant fight before it helps my point.

Hm, but wasn't the barbarian fight before Kratos killed his wife and child?

It says:

Six months have passed since Kratos stood over the bodies of his wife and child, his hands stained with their blood

Well maybe it's a flashback? we'll see.

Hm, but wasn't the barbarian fight before Kratos killed his wife and child?

It says:

Well maybe it's a flashback? we'll see.

yeah it would make sense to have it as the opening, seeing as how thats the point in his life where he makes the deal with Ares, and the story of the game is about being free of that deal. so either a flashback or a dream.

Sid

The battle is the most important one in kratos' life and the whole premise is epic so IMO it makes sense,also for the first time kratos will be nearly defeated in battle without being backstabbed.

Respawn

Banned
It's crying :(

88888889wjc7.png

Wouldn't you cry if you knew Kratos was coming for you?

LMAOOOOO!! Preorderd baby

i-Lo

It's crying :(

88888889wjc7.png

E3:

dSzVQ.png

It's either a different creature (the new one is most likely another Kraken) or they have redesigned it. It's most definitely isn't the same mode. 4 v 2 eyes and shape of the mouth, angle of jaw opening and design of teeth.

Also, under water segments make me terribly uncomfortable and this won't help a bit.

E3:

It's either a different creature (the new one is most likely another Kraken) or they have redesigned it. It's most definitely isn't the same mode. 4 v 2 eyes and shape of the mouth, angle of jaw opening and design of teeth.

Also, under water segments make me terribly uncomfortable and this won't help a bit.

Charybdis has always been described as a creature with a mouth covering its entire face. I think the E3 creature is the most representative of that. But it would also be possible SSM took some liberty with it and redesigned it into the sea creature from the other GIF. Or that could be a whole different creature altogether.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Remind me where it was said that he'd get the blades later rather than starting with them.

E3:

dSzVQ.png

It's bad enough they're doing another water monster with tentacles, you really think they're going to put two of them in the same game?

It's got to be the same creature, even if it looks different now.

Cyberia

It’s been more than six long months since your first look at God of War: Ascension’s single-player campaign at E3. You’ve waited patiently, and asked about it an ungodly (but unsurprising) number of times. So, as we get ready to close our multiplayer beta early next week, the time has come to focus on where Ascension and its story will take you this March.

The trailer above is only a quick taste. You didn’t think Ascension was only 30 seconds long, did you?! We have more single-player details to unravel and showcase as we rage towards our launch on March 12th. Most importantly, in late February, we’ll be bringing you a full-fledged single player demo! We’ll be announcing details in the coming weeks, so stay tuned.

Many of you have already pre-ordered the Collector’s Edition for Ascension, but today we’re happy to show you the final “cube” you’ll be receiving, and of course placing atop your shrine to God of War:

8390194885_bc5e495759_z.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013...demo-in-february-collectors-edition-revealed/

injurai

Banned

Kratos is already covered in ash, which means he will probably start with his blades.

velociraptor

Man I love god of war. presentation , music, story are just epic. Still my favorite franchise
Absolutely. Even the combat is fine IMO. It's the whole point of GOW - sure, it's not deep as Bayonetta, but I don't care. GOW is much more about a deep combat system. It's satisfying, and serves well for the overall game.

test_account

XP-39C²
Made a summary and slowed them down a bit.

Damn, i thought this was a mountain or a platform when i saw it briefly in the trailer. Now i see it is a huge snake or something.

Looks amazing! And this is a PS3 game, i cant really imagine exactly how a PS4 God of War game will look like.

The lighting is not bad, lol, and the skin tone is on purpose as it relates to the timeline of this story. For now, i'll just remind you what we've posted here:

http://www.godofwar.com/game/

BEFORE HE WAS A GOD, HE WAS A MAN

Vengeance is born in the fires of betrayal in this prequel to the best-selling God of War franchise. Six months have passed since Kratos stood over the bodies of his wife and child, his hands stained with their blood - tricked by Ares into murdering the only people he ever loved. Swearing to avenge them, Kratos broke the blood oath that bound him to Ares, but oaths to Olympus are not so easily broken... Sentenced to an eternity chained within a prison for the living damned, Kratos battles insanity at the hands of the Furies. He will be tested as he seeks freedom, redemption for his sins, and the clarity to avenge his family.

As far as SCALE goes...don't underestimate us, hehe. The opening of the game will have an EPIC God of War "scale". It'll be a different type of "scale" feeling than GOW 3 with Poseidon, but you'll know what I mean when you play it.

-Tank

Nice so his complexion in that scene will have an explanation.

And regarding the Scale, methinks a playable version of the war with the Barbarians.....

f@luS

More than a member.
I wonder how many people played Chains of Olympus, got burned by that so they refuse to play GoO.

i liked Coo i should love the other one then? i have it on vita through psp, also on ps3...which one? can i play with remote play the ps3 one on vita?

ZaCH3000

Absolutely. Even the combat is fine IMO. It's the whole point of GOW - sure, it's not deep as Bayonetta, but I don't care. GOW is much more about a deep combat system. It's satisfying, and serves well for the overall game.

Search YouTube for demo gameplay. Some of the videos display incredible skill. As far as I can tell GoW:A will have the deepest combat of the series.

Top Bottom