• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

jrcbandit

What kind of additional overclocking are people expectting from custom cards versus founder edition?

Would like to get a 1080 Ti before Mass Effect

Voltage has almost 0 effect on Pascal. So the AIB is more about getting better cooling for lower noise output. The cooler you keep the card, the more stable the boost overclock becomes. For example, my default cooler on my 1080 I could never reach 2100 Mhz and was generally only in the high 1900s because the temps were 75-79 C under load, but when I switched to a hybrid cooler with 50 C max temps I can hit up to 2120 Mhz and it always stays above 2050, typically above 2100.

For any card launching tomorrow, it will either be using the default Nvidia cooler or the same exact cooler they used on their 1070/1080 line, while the Ti card has much higher power draw/usage. It would be best to get a card with cooling actually designed for the 1080 Ti (cheapest option), or go with a hybrid water cooler (more expensive option). Alternatively, you can get the stock Nvidia reference design/cooler and if you are dissatisfied with the performance for cooling/noise, you can replace the default cooler with an aftermarket AIO hybrid water cooler kit like I did.

Voltage has almost 0 effect on Pascal. So the AIB is more about getting better cooling for lower noise output. The cooler you keep the card, the more stable the boost overclock becomes. For example, my default cooler on my 1080 I could never reach 2100 Mhz and was generally only in the high 1900s because the temps were 75-79 C under load, but when I switched to a hybrid cooler with 50 C max temps I can hit up to 2120 Mhz and it always stays above 2050, typically above 2100.

For any card launching tomorrow, it will either be using the default Nvidia cooler or the same exact cooler they used on their 1070/1080 line, while the Ti card has much higher power draw/usage. It would be best to get a card with cooling actually designed for the 1080 Ti (cheapest option), or go with a hybrid water cooler (more expensive option).

which path did you take to place your card underwater? what's the noise like on that solution?

J-Rzez

Fury X came out one month after the 980 Ti. Since then Nvidia has launched four cards faster than the Fury X.

This generation AMD have been nothing but an embarrassment where we desperately need competition. How long until some IHVs just give up and build their own cores using a massive PowerVR Furian array?

I wanted to support AMD. I really did. But the 480s, ryzen, and this wait for Vega which may not perform to expectations makes it hard to do so.

Is my old processor the real culprit? I have a i7 2600k from when I built my PC in 2011.

Thanks!

As someone who had a 2600k as well, yes. CPU, mobo, and potentially your HDD/SSD (whichever you have if dated?) will impact that. Going 1080 + 6850k I can game in BF1 all bells and whistles on in 4k and stay around 55-60fps (i'm capped at 60fps).

Sanctuary

Awesome. So this means that when I do a new system build next year, I'll be able to easily have a system that can run 4K/60fps on a single card. I'm already doing 1440p/60 with most games on my 1080, but my shitty CPU lottery would prevent me getting much more from going to a better card.

Man, I should be saving money for an upcoming job search, relocation, etc.

But nah, the 980ti that was just replaced under warranty is getting replaced by its sexy sibling.

Somewhat unrelated, damn Doom is a well-crafted game. Not only was it a blast, but looking at those numbers across the board and they created one hell of an optimized game.

Vipu

Banned
Replacing two 980 TIs with a single 1080 TI? That's a sidegrade, and not a really worthwhile one at that.

Even with my two 970s I find myself very hard-pressed to consider this worth it. Even if I sold my 970s for $200 each (big "if"), paying the $300 difference for a 30-40% improvement in performance is a tough pill to swallow.

Then again, my last upgrade was from two 670s to two 970s, so it makes sense for me to wait regardless. If anything, I should be upgrading my CPU since I'm still stuck on the same old i5 2500k. Decisions, decisions...

Definitely cpu first.

Is there a grounded idea of how Volta will compare to the 1080ti?
If previous gens are anything to go by, the 1170 will have similar performance to the 1080ti, hopefully for $300 or less. Not sure if release dates are too close for that this time around though.

Ack - no DVI port (at least on the reference card)? I need that for my TV / Vive setup! I wonder if the EVGA's custom cards will have it.

From what I understand the card comes w/ a HDMI to DVI adapter.

Yup, but I use both the HDMI and DVI ports at once - Vive requires HDMI, and the DVI (with an adapter) gets video/surround audio to my receiver. I hadn't looked up DisplayPort -> HDMI adapters in awhile, so it looks like I'm covered that way. Woo!

Hybris

I want to upgrade from a 970, but I'm still on an i5 4590 also... This is gonna be an expensive month for me...

Well, I just wish they'd come out and saw what cards, if any, will be available besides the FE tomorrow. There is so much conflicting info! I don't want to run Intel HD4600 graphics on my machine longer than I have to!

Well, I just wish they'd come out and saw what cards, if any, will be available besides the FE tomorrow. There is so much conflicting info! I don't want to run Intel HD4600 graphics on my machine longer than I have to!

Just one more day.

Fingered crossed that I can walk into a store and pick up a card tomorrow instead of waiting for Nvidia to deliver.

Got a 780ti almost 3 years ago. It still gets the job done (my overall system that I've had since 2012 still beats most min/rec system requirements) but I might upgrade around July.

Weevilone

did you get an e-mail or anything?

what does your online store order state?

I got an email from Fedex because I have an account, that's it. I have some mysterious issue that's preventing me from logging in, or seemingly even changing my password with their storefront.. so I just checked out as a guest. As such I can't check my online order.

I got an email from Fedex because I have an account, that's it. I have some mysterious issue that's preventing me from logging in, or seemingly even changing my password with their storefront.. so I just checked out as a guest. As such I can't check my online order.

very nice, did you order next day shipping, and can you tell us the state that its shipping from once information gets updated?

I wanted to support AMD. I really did. But the 480s, ryzen, and this wait for Vega which may not perform to expectations makes it hard to do so.

I hear that. Kinda makes me mad actually but such is the way of the hardware market. I am still rocking a Fury and have been aching for something as powerful as the 1070/1080 and now the 1080ti is out and dammit its fast! And still nothing from AMD. I even bought a Freesync monitor a couple months ago and I am regretting it a bit now.
I have given AMD enough chances- Personally I will give them until mid summer and if they do not have anything that competes, then its time for a G-Sync monitor and 1080ti.

Tagyhag

When should we expect 4K@60 fps cards that are in the $300 range?

This is just me blindly guessing, but I bet the 1170 will be able to but it won't be at the $300 range, so, it'll either be the 1260 or the 1170 when the 1270 comes out and the former takes a price hit.

Again, just guessing based on previous gpu successions.

jrcbandit

which path did you take to place your card underwater? what's the noise like on that solution?
I bought the EVGA hybrid kit from Amazon for ~$100 that works with reference cards and ACX 3.0 EVGA cards. It's called a hybrid cooler because it has a fan over the VRM but that fan doesn't need to be run at high speeds at all so that fan is silent. The main noise comes from whatever radiator fans you pick. I didn't really like the default EVGA radiator fan so I replaced it with quieter fans.

Damn, this is looking good. I want some of that 4K 60fps goodness.

However, by the time LG's 2017 OLED TVs go down to an affordable level, Nvidia will probably be close to releasing the 1180 so I may have to wait for that anyway.

Vinter

Just bought a 1080 for 660 euro, but the store I bought it from operates with 45 day return policy, so I could just return my 1080 and pay the extra for the 1080ti. I don't really need it, but I feel like I should when I can afford the extra cost.

Yawnny

.. this seems to be the first single GPU that could run all games at 4K/60fps maxed?

We got there so quickly.

Not all games. That's the problem with the scene right now, lots of people say ALL games, then I'll get home and try to run everything maxed (no AA), and it's 50, drops to 40.. but 60 in less demanding zones. (Speaking a bout 1080 response)

MOST games do not run at 4K everything maxed. Everything Max means everything maaaxxeed (Minus AA)

Even Blizzard games like Overwatch and Heores of The Storm tend to drop to the 50s with everything maxed at 4K.. ie: ultra shadows and lighting absolutely murdering a card.

Even in the 1080ti benchmarks for Tomb Raider we see 54 FPS.. 54 FPS is NOT 60 people!

We're close.. but not quite.

Not all games. That's the problem with the scene right now, lots of people say ALL games, then I'll get home and try to run everything maxed (no AA), and it's 50, drops to 40.. but 60 in less demanding zones. (Speaking a bout 1080 response)

MOST games do not run at 4K everything maxed. Everything Max means everything maaaxxeed (Minus AA)

Even Blizzard games like Overwatch and Heores of The Storm tend to drop to the 50s with everything maxed at 4K.. ie: ultra shadows and lighting absolutely murdering a card.

Even in the 1080ti benchmarks for Tomb Raider we see 54 FPS.. 54 FPS is NOT 60 people!

G-sync makes this entirely trivial.

Eagerly awaiting to use my Step-Up from a 1080 Hybrid to a Ti Founder's, throwing away the cooler and slapping on the EK block and backplate. Hurry up EVGA and make it available on the Step-Up site, fuckers!

This will be part of a completely new water build from the ground up. While my gaming today is, of course, amazing, I'm still hyped.

Celcius

°Temp. member
2.5x-3x the performance of my old GTX 780 Ti *drool*
At first I wanted a non-reference card but now I'm not too sure. The non-reference card itself would be quieter, but I'd most likely want to install a fan or two in the top of my case which would add noise, and having the heat dumped inside my case doesn't sound pleasant for my 7700k a.k.a. furnace.

Momentary

Banned
As a Titan XP owner... I don't feel as bad as I thought I would. I did buy it almost 8 months ago and have enjoyed the hell out of it.

But at the same time, I won't ever buy another Titan from NVIDIA. Since this can just hold me off until they release the Volta Ti. I don't think I'll even worry about looking at the Pascal refresh either. I even have 2 new console sized ITX cases ready to go. Both of which will blow my Titan XP rig out of the water when the time comes to build.

One thing that IS annoying are my co-workers asking me how I feel about a $700 card outperforming a $1200 card.

Skyr

You need G-Sync in your life and you will not care about this little drops anymore.

With that said, as a consolation item of sorts for the remaining DVI users, NVIDIA is including a DisplayPort-to-SL-DVI adapter with the Founder’s Edition card. This doesn’t perfectly replace the missing DVI port – in particular, it can’t drive 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 displays – but for lower resolution displays it will do the trick.

So is this just an issue with the Nvidia included adapter, or all adapters? Because my 1440p monitor only has a DVI port.

Momentary

Banned

You can almost run every game out (aside from shitty Koei Tecmo ports and Deus Ex) there right now at 60fps@4K depending on if you overclock or not with a 1080Ti or TITAN.

Xyber

2.5x-3x the performance of my old GTX 780 Ti *drool*
At first I wanted a non-reference card but now I'm not too sure. The non-reference card itself would be quieter, but I'd most likely want to install a fan or two in the top of my case which would add noise, and having the heat dumped inside my case doesn't sound pleasant for my 7700k a.k.a. furnace.

With temps like these when overclocked, I don't know why anyone would really consider FE over partner cards if you don't plan on replacing the cooler/run SLI. The difference between the two versions in overall case temps is not big at all if you got decent airflow.

1080ti-clock2.png

Just sounds like you are trying to justify a purchase right away instead of waiting a bit longer for the partner cards. :p

But in the end, it's your money and you decide how you want to spend it.

x3sphere

Doesn't seem like they've really made a notable improvement in the cooler over TXP. My TXP hit like 90% fan speed maintaining a 2 GHz clock, which was crazy loud.

The FE was fine for the 1080, but this is a 250W part. I'd highly recommend waiting for the custom cards if you aren't putting this on water.

Wag

Anyone want to buy 3x 980Tis?

Should I sell them on eBay individually or should I do a 2x/1x? (I know not many people would want to buy all 3 at once). Someone already bid >$600 on 2x 980Tis.

Celeras

Banned
People crack me up with 60FPS talk... as if the standard refresh rate isn't 144/165 nowadays. Who the hell would buy a card this expensive on a 60hz monitor?

Top Bottom