• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega talks Shenmue's Future in Famitsu

Here's an idea, how about releasing Shenmue 1 & 2 on all three systems on the same day and the same price and see who wants it more? Then pester that company for money since they'll have the original sales to back them up.

Shenmue 3 would work well on the wii imo, motion controls for rotating toys and tbh graphics would be closer to the DC then seeing a HD version, I think all the games should somehow group together the best they can.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
KuwabaraTheMan said:
Iwata, get on the phone.

If you want hardcore games to embrace the Wii, be remembered as "the man who saved Shenmue".
No they won't, they'll be remembered for buying a Shenmue game Yu Suzuki had no part in.

Agnates

Banned
wrowa said:
Well, I don't think they have another choice than releasing the game as a trilogy. Shenmue 3 would be the continuation of a 10 year old story. Anyone who isn't a die hard fan of the series has it long forgotten. So who is supposed to buy a naked episode 3?
I'm sure many people bought MGS despite not having played past Metal Gear games. If the story's good, it doesn't matter. The intro doesn't even need to explain everything, other than the basics of Ryo's quest, revenge, meeting that girl, and finding that cave (maybe that part could be replayed with the new visuals, to make more sense). The odd reference to past events, even if you haven't seen them yourself, helps the world feel deeper. I didn't know what the fuck happened in Zanzibar but it was still cool when Snake and Fox mentioned it as it showed the characters have history and depth beyond this one game. It made them feel more real.

Jme

If they wanted to make the game they would let the fans pay for it via something like Kickstarter. We "donate" funds to SEGA for the production of Shenmue 3. When a goal is reached, work begins. Those who donated a pre-determined minimum amount get a copy of the game. Think of it like a pre-funding pre-order. There is no question of viability in the marketplace when the market pays for it up front. If financial goals are not met by certain timeframe milestones, refunds are issued and work never begins.

Or at least for a portion of it, depending on how lofty they set their budgets.

ArjanN

Die Squirrel Die said:
Would a modern take on Shenmue really be a behemoth? By modern standards the scale of Shenmue is tiny, and I find it hard to fathom how it would be this mega project when Sega seem to be quite happy to sell 500k copies of Yakuza3, which seems to my untrained eye to be roughly similar in scope.

It wouldn't exactly say Shenmue is tiny because there's a lot of detail in everything, but Shenmue 3 wouldn't have to have the ridiculous budget the first games had.

Nowadays I don't think Shenmue 3 would cost any more to make than say, Mass Effect or Yakuza 3.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I Push Fat Kids said:
Shenmue sucks. Yakuza doesn't. Stay the course Sega.

Sega, ignore this man. He's clearly insane!

I'm just kidding, but seriously we want Shenmue, nothing wrong with both.

seady

O man, only chance we will see it is now in the hand of Microsoft.
Come on, Microsoft, you love to make donation every once in a while (GTA DLC, Mistwalker's Games etc). This is the time.

And no, Shenmue is much better than Yakuza.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
If I ever become a billionaire, I am going to purchase Sega and direct all of their efforts at Shenmue sequels.

Deku

Banned
StoOgE said:
If I ever become a billionaire, I am going to purchase Sega and direct all of their efforts at Shenmue sequels.

Might be cheaper to shell out the millions it will need to develop it and a sports car as incentive to get Yu Suzuki to helm it. Keep the rest for your shemue theme park.

El-Suave

Do it Microsoft - sell me Natal via Shenmue. I would happily stack boxes in front of the camera all day, maybe clean the house while I'm at it.

Haunted

Yeah, we already talked about it in the Famitsu 360 interview thread.

Someone should get Yu Suzuki out of his prison cell in Sega HQ Siberia or wherever the fuck they have him locked up right now and let him end the saga.

2pr5jxe.jpg

StoOgE

Deku said:
Might be cheaper to shell out the millions it will need to develop it and a sports car as incentive to get Yu Suzuki to helm it. Keep the rest for your shemue theme park.

Well, part two of my plan involves throwing a party for Sonic Team and slipping cyanide in the punch bowl. As they clutch their throats and look at me with looks of betrayed bewilderment I will lean over and whisper in their collective ears "This is for the werehog".

Also, I'm going to bring back Fighting Vipers.

Jcgamer60 said:
Even if no one wants it as an exclusive Sega has stated previously that they are waiting for the market to change.

It may take 10-15 years but Sega has stated they are still interested in the franchise. That is what is important. That is what you should take away from this article.

While the market could change where something like Shenmue could sell a few million units, development costs are one thing that continues to go up. The major HD titles tend to cost around 20m at a minimum to develop. And Shenmue would be different because part of its claim to fame is insane attention to detail. Which is something that many major HD titles don't really attempt to do. So prices would likely be quite a bit higher than 20m.

As a Shenmue fan, I have accepted that Shenmue is dead and buried and if it is ever resurrected it will be in an unrecognizable form that completely changes the mechanics of the game to something very different.

Any hints of "well, Shenmue is a possibility" do not excite me.

StoOgE

SolidSnakex said:
While the market could change where something like Shenmue could sell a few million units, development costs are one thing that continues to go up. The major HD titles tend to cost around 20m at a minimum to develop. And Shenmue would be different because part of its claim to fame is insane attention to detail. Which is something that many major HD titles don't really attempt to do. So prices would likely be quite a bit higher than 20m.

Throw it on Wii, Use the Shenmue Xbox engine.

I don't give a shit what it looks like. Just give me Shenmue.

StoOgE said:
Throw it on Wii, Use the Shenmue Xbox engine.

I don't give a shit what it looks like. Just give me Shenmue.

I didn't bring up the Wii because Nintendo's stance on things is usually "We aren't doing it unless we can make a profit". And I don't think you can say that for Shenmue right now.

StoOgE

SolidSnakex said:
I didn't bring up the Wii because Nintendo's stance on things is usually "We aren't doing it unless we can make a profit". And I don't think you can say that for Shenmue right now.

I don't honestly see any first party paying for Shenmue at any point in time. It's been almost a decade since Shenmue 2.. and it isn't like the franchise really set the world on fire in the first place.

It isn't like financing a Halo or Mario game. If Shenmue could be financed and have a reasonable chance of being profitable, then Sega would pull the trigger.

It's a niche game with a rabid fanbase and the games are insanely expensive to make. Not a winning combination.

Sega franchises that anyone gives a shit about at this point in time: Sonic.

Sad to say as a former Sega fanboy, but they are a shell of what they once were in the 90s.

Aspiring

pieatorium said:

:lol Man, i love Shenmue, my fav series ever, but i am scared with Sega's recent record and no Suzuki. I mean, sure they say they have story and everything ready, but its the attention to detail, the little things that made Shenmue.

I wonder how many people would be willing to pay Sega in advance to make this game. Hell, I bet many would be willing to pay more than $60 for the promise of having this game made within a few years. Sega needs to start a Shenmue III fund, and if it doesn't raise enough money for them to make the game, they send everyone's money back.

StoOgE

Investigation Team Go! said:
I wonder how many people would be willing to pay Sega in advance to make this game. Hell, I bet many would be willing to pay more than $60 for the promise of having this game made within a few years. Sega needs to start a Shenmue III fund, and if it doesn't raise enough money for them to make the game, they send everyone's money back.

"sorry guys, we didn't get enough money.. so instead we are sending you a free copy of the latest Sonic and friends game. Also, we forgot to put the Sonic levels in it, so really it's just the friends"

StoOgE said:
I don't honestly see any first party paying for Shenmue at any point in time. It's been almost a decade since Shenmue 2.. and it isn't like the franchise really set the world on fire in the first place.

It isn't like financing a Halo or Mario game. If Shenmue could be financed and have a reasonable chance of being profitable, then Sega would pull the trigger.

It's a niche game with a rabid fanbase and the games are insanely expensive to make. Not a winning combination.

I agree that I can't see any of the three funding this game. There just isn't any real incentive for them to do it. It sucks since Shenmue is one of my favorite series. But I realize that there's no real way that they can continue it and actually do the series justice with a proper budget.

cabottemp

Banned
Jesus christ shenmue fucking sucked. Would much rather see other dreamcast games return, like chu chu rocket. It would work so well on xbla/psn/wiiware.

StoOgE said:
"sorry guys, we didn't get enough money.. so instead we are sending you a free copy of the latest Sonic and friends game. Also, we forgot to put the Sonic levels in it, so really it's just the friends"

And Ryo's one of the friends!?

I would put down 60 in advance for a Shenmue 3. They could handle it like the VOOT Live sticks. Of course a lot more money would be involved here, but I think they could get their fans to do something like that.

StoOgE

cabot said:
Jesus christ shenmue fucking sucked. Would much rather see other dreamcast games return, like chu chu rocket. It would work so well on xbla/psn/wiiware.

Why Chu Chu Rocket, Ooga Booga, Propeller Arena and Outrigger weren't ported to XBLA/PSN still totally amazes me.

Maybe VOOT bombed. I don't know.

But Sega should be porting the fuck out of AM2/AM3 arcade games to the system.

OH well, I love Sega.. and it wouldn't be Sega if they made smart decisions. So maybe Shenmue does have a chance.

I refuse to get my hopes up. Instead, perhaps I'll go replay Shenmue 1 & 2 and then feel depressed again that there will never be Shenmue 3.

StoOgE said:
Why Chu Chu Rocket, Ooga Booga, Propeller Arena and Outrigger weren't ported to XBLA/PSN still totally amazes me.

There's no excuse for ChuChu Rocket not to be on the download services right now. Puzzle games are popular and I can't see that game running them too much money to port.

if there is anything more that torments me more than the Sonic-Cycle..
... it is the false hopes of a Shenmue III happening

stop tormenting me, SEGA!!

Yopis

I know back when it came out Shenmu was awesome but is it still worth playing today? I got Shenmu 2 from a buddy a few months ago and have never played.Does the game age well?

Zep

Banned
Yopis said:
I know back when it came out Shenmu was awesome but is it still worth playing today? I got Shenmu 2 from a buddy a few months ago and have never played.Does the game age well?

More advanced than 99% of the shit out there...as far as exploration.

Top Bottom