• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In a gif, scariest scenes in horror films (spoilers)

Fj0823

Insidious.

Oh-Fun-Doesnt-Stop.gif

Darth Maul?

daveo42

Banned
I love It Follows. The tall man is amazing, especially in the boat house/beach scene. It's probably too long to gif, but there's a scene during that section that is a masterclass in building tension.

The Blair Witch Project (1999)

BLouN1d.gif

Only scary part in a vastly overrated and excessively boring film about people you love to hate. Also invented the worst horror film genre: Found Footage.

The Fly and Eraserhead fuck me up more than anything else. I can't even watch that shit anymore. I'm not even going to post it because I already saw them both earlier in the thread and I'm already losing my hair. Posts 175 and 192. Shit.

My favorite gif in the thread is Tarman but not because it's scary, I just love Tarman. Tarman is sooo good.

Jombie

e8292bd30e32f4af6b5b069c41f7f0ed.gif

Perfect buildup to this scene. The actor's scream is real, it was the first time he had seen Gunnar Hansen in the leatherface costume.

Jombie

This is one of the few scenes that actually truly frightened me and stuck with me after all these years. I'm always going back and rewatching it.

I've been meaning to pick up the Criterion edition. My old DVD version is worn the fuck out. My first memory of the film is being in high school and my girlfriend's parents telling us how dumb it was. GF and I watched it together and loved it.

Apt101

tumblr_mb9a82NcJJ1qgcra2o1_500.gif

The Ring. That movie does bad things to me.

I saw that opening night. The theater was packed. My favorite theater experience. Lively crowd.

When that scene unfolded a black woman next to me stood and forced her way into the aisle yelling "fuck that girlfriend I am out, some one walk me to my car(sic)" and we all laughed and laughed.

Seriously that movie, and that scene at the end after all of the tension, was scary as hell at the time.

Edit: also me and my date were high. HIGH. so that helped.

tumblr_oqmcqp982g1vpdgugo1_400.gif

(I haven't actually seen House on Haunted Hill '59. Just wanted to post this gif from it because everytime I see it I lose my shit with laughter.)

For a legit response, I don't have any gifs on hand, but the scene from Silence of the Lambs when Starling is in the bathtub in the room of Buffalo Bill's house...and then the camera shows that thing that was the decayed remains of the previous owner in his bathtub shows up. Christ.

Chuckie

Fuck me. I just got home an hour ago from seeing It, and I'm pretty spooked... yet here I am looking at some (pretty terrifying) horror film gifs. Whhyyy...

statham

creature from the black lagoon was the one that cause me horrors, and chuckie, because I had a chuckie like doll.

gforguava

Absolutely. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5OGQr3xdfM

The movie as such isn't the pinnacle of the horror genre though.
Yeah, this is why I posted my moment from The Leopard Man as 3 gifs and almost the whole sequence. Horror has a rhythm to it and that clip from Heretic is a perfect example, repetition of the same hallway with the same camera setup, and you are just waiting for it without even knowing what it is, and then the guard leaves...just to come back, get his hat and leave again, and then shears!

It is a wonderful scene from an underrated horror sequel.

edit: The Insidious demon always bothered me, I think they needed to either tone down the design(and remove his hair, seriously the hair is so prominent) or have him a little out of focus. As it is you get too good a look at it for too long hence, you know, Darth Maul.

[rec]

0H4R0LI.gif

It is an obvious jump scare, you know it's coming, and why is that kid in the attic anyway? but it fills me with dread every time i rewatch it because it causes them to lose their light and be stuck in the dark with the naked monster lady.

Insidious 1
giphy.gif

Not scary exactly but probably one of my favorite creepy scenes of all time.

Really helped that we watched it on an old burned in tv that was dark as hell.
Took a while to even see it actually and it gave me legitimate chills

Ya, that's a creepy scene and one of the reasons I love that movie. I also like Tiny Tim and was glad to see his music being applied to good effect.

Red UFO

[rec]

0H4R0LI.gif

It is an obvious jump scare, you know it's coming, and why is that kid in the attic anyway? but it fills me with dread every time i rewatch it because it causes them to lose their light and be stuck in the dark with the naked monster lady.
God the whole scene in the apartment in the top floor is horrifying. I was drenched in sweat watching it.

kB-TOk.gif

Men behind the sun. Frostbite experiment.

The really bad stuff from this movie isn't giffed it would seem.

Jesus. I watched that on an old VHS I rented from a video store in Tasmania when I lived there and it's stuck with me ever since. It's one of the most unpleasant, upsetting films I've ever seen.

Zolo

Jesus. I watched that on an old VHS I rented from a video store in Tasmania when I lived there and it's stuck with me ever since. It's one of the most unpleasant, upsetting films I've ever seen.

*Looks up film on wikipedia*

Uh....what the fuck?

The film is extremely controversial for its use of what Mou claims to be actual autopsy footage of a young boy and also for a scene in which a live cat appears to be thrown into a room to be eaten alive by hundreds of frenzied rats.[8] In a scene later in the movie, live rats were set on fire, which drew criticism for its cruelty in many countries. However, in an interview made in 2010 in the US (can be found in YouTube), Mou stated that the cat was tired after participation in the film and the cat got two fish as a reward, that the cat was made wet with honey, and that the rats were licking and eating the honey only. However, a chinese blog post surfaced in 2008 claiming to describe the event from a behind-the-scenes worker on the film who said the cat was, in fact, killed by the property master to provide the final shot of the unmoving cat swarmed by rats.
Yeah. Gonna stay the hell away from this movie.

I really need to expand my horror movie intake, but a lot of the ones available digitally all seem... Low quality, or I'm never in the mood for movies, let alone horror ones.

Gonna have to start buying them.

I prefer dread/psychological horror with minimal jump scares and body gore/violence, but some is fine.

Meh been looking for a horror movie to sell me on the genre lately. Love horror games like Silent Hill, Resident Evil, and Dead Space, but the movies never did anything for me. Especially recently, I can just hear the "SUDDEN LOUD MUSIC/SOUND TO QUE JUMP SCARE!" in most of these instead of letting it freak you out naturally.

Anyone got a recommendation?

DemonNite

Meh been looking for a horror movie to sell me on the genre lately. Love horror games like Silent Hill, Resident Evil, and Dead Space, but the movies never did anything for me. Especially recently, I can just hear the "SUDDEN LOUD MUSIC/SOUND TO QUE JUMP SCARE!" in most of these instead of letting it freak you out naturally.

Anyone got a recommendation?

for me, the last good horror movie was The Witch

Top Bottom