• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For March 2017 [Up2: Year to date charts, platform specific charts]

Principate

Saint Titanfall
There are platform specific charts in the OP but if you meant a single chart that ranks games for all platforms as individual SKUs then no, no we don't.

We could guess, though, given the available dat. Personally I'd peg the top 8 (excluding PC) as:

1. Wildlands PS4
2. Wildlands XBO
3. Zelda NSW
4. Horizon Zero Dawn PS4
5. Zelda Wii U
6. Mass Effect PS4
7. Mass Effect XBO
8. MLB PS4

Or something to that effect. I'm pretty confident with Horizon at number 4 and MLB at 8, but the exact order of top 3 and 4-6 are a bit more speculative.

Edit: Actually giving it some more though, Zelda U most like did out sell both SKUs of Mass Effect individually, given we know Zelda U is over 400k but Mass Effect would have done noticeably less than 600k combined. Top 3 is still a total ass pull though, since we have no idea how it actually did (I'm guessing over 2m, but I could be way off).

Nope, Ubisoft hasn't said a word yet. I guess we could try and infer it going by the 12 month chart but that strikes me as a lot of work.
You do realise that means the wildlands would have sold almost 2 million if not more this month if your ranking is correct

NieR:Automata charted 9th

giphy.gif
Yaaaay

Luigiv

You do realise that means the wildlands would have sold almost 2 million if not more this month if your ranking is correct

Yeah, I know. I think it's possible, the game has been monstering all the weekly charts (european, digital). It practically hasn't budged from number 1 since it's debut. Like I said though, pure speculation, I could be entirely off base.

Also, unrelated but if anyone else see that quote and sees the glaring error, I already edited my edit. my revised speculative ranking is:

1. Wildlands PS4
2. Wildlands XBO
3. Zelda NSW
4. Horizon Zero Dawn PS4
5. Mass Effect PS4
6. Mass Effect XBO
7. Zelda Wii U
8. MLB PS4

timberger

Nier and Horizon doing some great biz. Good to see, they're both really excellent games.

Mass Effect doing better than it deserved apparently too.

WW digital sales must have been amazing then.

It's painful how hard you're trying, as ever.

I dont understand when Horizon Zero Dawn sales (sell-through) Exceed 2.6 Million (2 weeks)

Like some people refuse to admit it goings to be the next hit....

You have to keep in mind there was some hardcore emotional investment in seeing Horizon fail from the moment it was announced... if for no other reason than to preserve the narrative about what a shit developer Guerilla are.

The denial is going to be especially rampant on this one for a while I think.

NieR doing so well considering its marketing budget consisted solely of a T-shirt ad.

Game has also had a long tail in Japan and on Steam at full price. Must be profitable as hell at this point.

Which console launch was bigger than Switch? PS2?

PS4.

Dont read too much into PS4's day one million sales

I mean, to be fair, do you believe the Xbox One is a success or not? Many believe that the system falling far behind PS4 means it's not a success and you would not really be able to gather that trajectory from debut sales.

This is what people mean when they say "don't read too much into early sales".

Damn, that might tilt some people.

Not really, Microsoft offered a benchmark of 909,132 systems sold from Nov 22 until the end of the month. I assume NPD's numbers are below that. Meaning the XB1, Switch and PS4 were marginally close to each other in debut months. In fact, the system's were record-setting for their respective platform holders.

The biggest difference is release month. Those were in November 2013. Of course, the Game Boy Advance comparison is apt, as that system went on sale in the US in June 2011.

Rockstar, you know you wanna.

99 percent sure they don't. If the Switch is getting a GTA, it'll be a bespoke Switch-only version like Chinatown Wars.

I mean if a overpriced bomberman an can sell 100k+ in march then GTAV can do much much much more.

It's not really a sales issue. They're making money bags based purely on GTA Online. It's the amount of effort and R&D needed to port the system to an early platform. Also GTAV is far larger than the biggest Switch cart size.

HardRojo

Man this year is giving me so many games to play.
Off the top of my head:
  • NieR: Automata
  • Mass Effect Andromeda
  • Nioh
  • Persona 5
  • TLoZ: Breath of the Wild
  • Bomberman on Switch
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
And I'm currently playing through Horizon so that I can get it off my list.

Its Sony's next big franchise.

They could even make the sequel capitalize on trends and make it have an online RPG robo-dino hunting game with friends, for example.

The potential is everywhere with Horizon. Guerilla is sitting on a pile of gold.

Yes please. I normally say no to adding MP to games, but Horizon is perfect for it. 4 player co-op horde mode and hunting against increasingly dangerous machines. If well executed and deep it would print money.

Loudninja

PSN top sellers

PS4 Games
1 Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands
2 Horizon Zero Dawn
3 Mass Effect: Andromeda
4 MLB The Show 17
5 Battlefield 1
6 God of War III Remastered
7 EA SPORTS FIFA 17
8 Battlefield 4
9 Rocket League
10 Grand Theft Auto V
11 NieR: Automata
12 ARK: Survivor’s Pack
13 Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition
14 KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1.5 +2.5 ReMIX
15 For Honor
16 Madden NFL 17
17 Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2
18 Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
19 NBA 2K17
20 Batman: Arkham Knight
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/04/13/playstation-store-marchs-top-downloads-2/

Yjynx

Its Sony's next big franchise.

They could even make the sequel capitalize on trends and make it have an online RPG robo-dino hunting game with friends, for example.

The potential is everywhere with Horizon. Guerilla is sitting on a pile of gold.
That would be awesome MH with awesome graphic.

cheesekao

MLB remains to be the unsung Sony franchise. Always does well but hardly anyone cares.

650k for Horizon shows how strong Sony is WW, not that that's a surprise.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Weird that Halo Wars 2 is above Overwatch on the X1 YTD list, when last month Overwatch charted above it on the X1 list.

MLB remains to be the unsung Sony franchise. Always does well but hardly anyone on GAF* cares.

Fixed that for you.

Also your last point might just be surprising for some considering one or two posts in this thread

It'll probably be slightly altered on a technical level that causes GAF to poo-poo that version...and it will go on to outsell the other two by a factor of 2:1.

Yep, and people wonder why Sega went with the exclusivity deal back in 2013.

Hell some people hate the possibility that Switch might be the only version to get a retail release of Sonic Mania going by retailer listings a couple of months ago. It's the legit best thing Sega can possibly do for the game. It'll be a HUGE seller on Switch, especially at retail.

Did the Xbox One start falling behind 360 in sales? Launch aligned, this would be the year where Xbox 360 Slim + Kinect launched and started to really take off, right?
As explained, Kinect doesn't hit (launch-aligned) until next year...so it'll be a while before Xbox One LTD sales fall behind. But month-to-month, we can see the process starting already. The Xbox One launch-aligned lead over Xbox 360 is about 1.5m right now. This is the smallest it's been since 2015, and it includes a 1.2m advantage from the launch holiday. In other words, in all of 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017, Xbox One has only sold 300k more consoles than Xbox 360...and they've lost almost 500k in ground during the last three months alone.

The gap will go back up this fall/winter due to Scorpio's release, but after that it's liable to be all downhill, increasingly rapidly.

PS4 and Xbox One where pretty front loaded in sales.
This is not true. Both Xbox One and PS4 have sold more in nearly every subsequent holiday than in their launch holidays. (The sole exception is PS4 2014, which was about 95k less than 2013.) Comparing full years, they both sold more in 2015 and 2016 than in 2014.

Being generous, we could estimate digital at 30% based on various publisher statements.

648 * 1.3 = 842.4K, so plausibly still in fourth place. Zelda is above 900K with Switch physical alone, so Mass Effect is the only game it might overtake, but that's kind of a big question mark. Mass Effect is also excluding PC digital, which wouldn't be something to sneeze at.
You calculated this incorrectly. A 30% digital share does not mean the digital number is 30% of the physical sales, it means the physical sales were 70% of the whole. That puts the correct total estimate at ~926k, not ~842k.

But in addition, we don't know that Horizon sold exactly 648k, just that it sold more than twice Killzone 2. The number is less likely to be just barely more than to range upward some distance. For every 10k higher physical actually was, the total will be 14.3k higher (so e.g. if Horizon is 2.1x instead of 2x KZ2, then its total would be over a million). A plausible highest physical number is 778k, which at 30% digital share would be 1.111m.

So it might not change rankings anyway, but the unit result could be a lot better than you said. (Your estimate would better serve as a plausible floor, rather than ceiling.)

MLB remains to be the unsung Sony franchise. Always does well but hardly anyone cares.

Annual titles whether sports or COD rarely get much love on here. MLB continues to chart every single year and I would not be surprised if this was one of its higher debuts.

sinonobu

Banned
Man this year is giving me so many games to play.
Off the top of my head:
  • NieR: Automata
  • Mass Effect Andromeda
  • Nioh
  • Persona 5
  • TLoZ: Breath of the Wild
  • Bomberman on Switch
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
And I'm currently playing through Horizon so that I can get it off my list.

DON'T buy bomberman....

im not really sure, if those people that downplay the numbers of Horizon, know much about video games sales, especially exlusives

by your metric TLOU and Uncharted didnt sell well

Is there a reason wildlands is selling so well? Everything I've seen from the game makes it look awful. And reviews weren't that great for it either. Not trying to tear it apart or anything. Just genuinely shocked it's doing so well.

Toni

That would be awesome MH with awesome graphic.

Yes please. I normally say no to adding MP to games, but Horizon is perfect for it. 4 player co-op horde mode and hunting against increasingly dangerous machines. If well executed and deep it would print money.

Couldnt agree more. Guerilla is well verse in multiplayer and I've no doubt in my mind they can pull off large scale, open world multiplayer.

Full MMO, MMO-lite, online co-op, massive online co-op, etc.

After the witchcraft that was Horizon, Guerilla can pull off anything.

Ashtar

Yeah, I know. I think it's possible, the game has been monstering all the weekly charts (european, digital). It practically hasn't budged from number 1 since it's debut. Like I said though, pure speculation, I could be entirely off base.

Also, unrelated but if anyone else see that quote and sees the glaring error, I already edited my edit. my revised speculative ranking is:

1. Wildlands PS4
2. Wildlands XBO
3. Zelda NSW
4. Horizon Zero Dawn PS4
5. Mass Effect PS4
6. Mass Effect XBO
7. Zelda Wii U
8. MLB PS4
How do you figure Wildlands Xbox is above Zelda given ?
Zelda nearly managed to claim the top spot on NPD's software chart,
I don't know if we have numbers for the other tom clancy launches?

jayu26

Is there a reason wildlands is selling so well? Everything I've seen from the game makes it look awful. And reviews weren't that great for it either. Not trying to tear it apart or anything. Just genuinely shocked it's doing so well.

A some what well established dudebro franchise sells like a some what well established duebro franchise. There is nothing more to it. We talk about this every sales thread, but gaffers expectations are warped by the insular community composed of mostly hardcore gamers who, unlike most consumers, at least try all kinds of games and gaming genres.

Lol you guys are so salty wtf...

Damn, the world consist of only 4 countries huh.

I am not an expert but i believe those countries together represent at least 2/3 of the entire market.

Now looking again at Sonys PR, they said 2.6m sold not 3m.. that's my bad, i really think those numbers might be possible with a very high digital sales ratio. Anyways, the game was front-loaded af so we won't be discussing it for much more time

Top Bottom