• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Unbounded |OT| Bound and Rebound

legbone

shockingly i was able to snag a copy for the 360 here in clarksville, ar. gamestop got one copy in. it is installing now. much to my surprise it rang up as 49.99 instead of 59.99. i feel bad for bugbear. seems namco is sending this one out to die (no advertising, instant bomba price, screwy release).

edit: either the game is crazy short or bugbear is doing some kind of weird programming voodoo because the install is only 1.8gb.

ascully

shockingly i was able to snag a copy for the 360 here in clarksville, ar. gamestop got one copy in. it is installing now. much to my surprise it rang up as 49.99 instead of 59.99. i feel bad for bugbear. seems namco is sending this one out to die (no advertising, instant bomba price, screwy release).

edit: either the game is crazy short or bugbear is doing some kind of weird programming voodoo because the install is only 1.8gb.

Its not short just doesn't have much variation in the textures for each track.

Peterthumpa

Thread title must be changed to something "bla bla bla and Edge gave it a 9" at the end.
I feel this game is going to get really under the redar to a lot of people.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Has anyone found a PS3 copy yet?

Serious question, does this even exist yet?

The weekly ad for GS mentions that the game is down to $50.

It's a picture of the 360 version and it doesn't make mention of the PS3 version at all which is always the case below the picture on multiplatform games.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Thread title must be changed to something "bla bla bla and Edge gave it a 9" at the end.
I feel this game is going to get really under the redar to a lot of people.

More like "Price drop to $49.99 on Day 2"

Or "Sega Saturn'd"

legbone

just raced my first race. great fun but definitely not easy. drifting is going to take some getting used to. seems too out of control. i'll adapt. the orange filter on the first track is unbelievable. and not in a good way. i picked a yellow car and it was orange when i began racing. nice weight to the cars. graphics are not all that but still looks cool due to the art style. nice arcade racer. definitely feels like a mix between burnout and split/second. and i love me some split/second. seems this will turnout to be a worthwhile purchase. just hope it doesn't get TOO hard for my old ass.

edit: finally won my first race. took a few restarts but had to perfect the drifting. good thing restarts are quick with almost no loading. the philosophy of this game is definitely "wreck shit". the more stuff i just drove through the more power i had on tap to knock fools out of the way and get my lead. then i just had to hold the lead. definitely felt like some mild rubberbanding going on because i ran a near perfect third lap and the pack nearly caught me by the end. good thing i had some power saved because if they had caught me i would have had a little something for them. this game is definitely a lot of fun. but i can see it will probably get controller throwing hard.

legbone

ok, dammit. this game's awesome. i just did my first "stunt" race. holy crap. i swear i just did a rail grind down some steps in my car then a little later "transitioned" from one pseudo-road quarter pipe to another through the air. i swear it happened.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
just raced my first race. great fun but definitely not easy. drifting is going to take some getting used to. seems too out of control. i'll adapt. the orange filter on the first track is unbelievable. and not in a good way. i picked a yellow car and it was orange when i began racing. nice weight to the cars. graphics are not all that but still looks cool due to the art style. nice arcade racer. definitely feels like a mix between burnout and split/second. and i love me some split/second. seems this will turnout to be a worthwhile purchase. just hope it doesn't get TOO hard for my old ass.

edit: finally won my first race. took a few restarts but had to perfect the drifting. good thing restarts are quick with almost no loading. the philosophy of this game is definitely "wreck shit". the more stuff i just drove through the more power i had on tap to knock fools out of the way and get my lead. then i just had to hold the lead. definitely felt like some mild rubberbanding going on because i ran a near perfect third lap and the pack nearly caught me by the end. good thing i had some power saved because if they had caught me i would have had a little something for them. this game is definitely a lot of fun. but i can see it will probably get controller throwing hard.

watching some vids, it looks like there are at least some alternate paths to take disregarding the "wreck shit with your boost" ones. is this true?

legbone

yes there are definitely short cuts. they are like the city targets that they want you to blow up but they only show up at the last minute. you have to anticipate them to use your power to blast through them. once they are opened up you can take them at will.

edit: but wrecking shit is not how it sounds. there is stuff all along the side of the track that doesn't really slow you down, it just gives you power. once i realized it wasn't slowing me down i realized the track is "wider" than it looks. problem is, there are things that look like you can drive through them to get power but they wreck you. led to a lot of restarts and frustration. but really once you memorize the course you are good to go.

op_ivy

yes there are definitely short cuts. they are like the city targets that they want you to blow up but they only show up at the last minute. you have to anticipate them to use your power to blast through them. once they are opened up you can take them at will.

edit: but wrecking shit is not how it sounds. there is stuff all along the side of the track that doesn't really slow you down, it just gives you power. once i realized it wasn't slowing me down i realized the track is "wider" than it looks. problem is, there are things that look like you can drive through them to get power but they wreck you. led to a lot of restarts and frustration. but really once you memorize the course you are good to go.

thanks for the info - but i'm actually specifically asking about alternate routes, or short cuts, that aren't targeted.

for example, at 5:34 of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY8-iMdwfXo , the player is told to "destroy night club" with that short cut targeted. but at 5:47 on the same lap, the player appears to take a short cut through a buildings lower parking garage by crashing through a chain link fence, rather then turning slight left to weave around the building on the streets.

is my interpretation of this video correct (or is that the actual path of the track?) and is this semi-frequent? again, not the targeted shortcut stuff.

robot

The drifting takes some getting used to. I still haven't fully gotten it yet, so getting my ass handed to me in campaign. Very unforgiving AI but I can see the fun in the challenge (once I get used to drifting).

I do miss the Ridge Racer-esque vehicles and homage to the classic Namco library that Ridge Racer is known for (stickers, hud elements, etc). I know it's a spinoff but whenever I hear Ridge Racer I sorta expect that to come along with it. You can easily strip the RR name and would never know. Really hoping to see some old track tiles in that editor. Just surprised to see Namco let the RR history slip away from this one.

Still a fun game, getting huge Split Second flashbacks - especially all of the lighting effects and vehicle designs. Really need to adjust to this drifting and difficulty though.

RobbieNick

Picked up 1 of only 2 360 copies at Gamestop. Asked if they had a PS3 version and they checked the computer for a ten mile radius and no one had it. Is this a 360 exclusive or have all the copies not yet come out?

EDIT: NM, apparently due out tomorrow.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

THE GOOD: Holy crap! This is like a beautiful mix of Burnout and Split Second! The destruction and chaos is awesome!

THE BAD: Way too difficult. Seriously. They need to patch this and tone that shit down a notch. I manged to finally beat the first track, but it took 3 tries.

op_ivy

amazon said:
New breed of racing machines ? Traditional racing machines are out and dozens of badass street machines are in, including legendary RIDGE RACER Angel and Devil cars.

sweeeet

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Picked up 1 of only 2 360 copies at Gamestop. Asked if they had a PS3 version and they checked the computer for a ten mile radius and no one had it. Is this a 360 exclusive or have all the copies not yet come out?

EDIT: NM, apparently due out tomorrow.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

THE GOOD: Holy crap! This is like a beautiful mix of Burnout and Split Second! The destruction and chaos is awesome!

THE BAD: Way too difficult. Seriously. They need to patch this and tone that shit down a notch. I manged to finally beat the first track, but it took 3 tries.

My next-gen F-Zero GX in difficulty. I'm so.....happy.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think there should be some distinction made between demanding difficulty and unfair (or cheap) difficulty. Because I can typically tolerate the former but not the latter.

So I'm guessing the 360 version runs at 30fps? I guess I'll keep waiting for the PC release.

Picked up 1 of only 2 360 copies at Gamestop. Asked if they had a PS3 version and they checked the computer for a ten mile radius and no one had it. Is this a 360 exclusive or have all the copies not yet come out?EDIT: NM, apparently due out tomorrow.FIRST IMPRESSIONS:THE GOOD: Holy crap! This is like a beautiful mix of Burnout and Split Second! The destruction and chaos is awesome!THE BAD: Way too difficult. Seriously. They need to patch this and tone that shit down a notch. I manged to finally beat the first track, but it took 3 tries.

That sounds awful, difficulty wise, to me. =(

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I think there should be some distinction made between demanding difficulty and unfair (or cheap) difficulty. Because I can typically tolerate the former but not the latter.

So I'm guessing the 360 version runs at 30fps? I guess I'll keep waiting for the PC release.

There was no way this wasn't going to run at 30fps on consoles and waiting for PC as well.

Yeah, it's tough as nails but ridiculous fun! The first race I finished on my second try. The second race took me about 6 tries before I placed first. The level of destruction is really fun to watch. It's definitely a combination of Flatout, Burnout and Split/Second and it's pretty damned great in the process. I don't mind the difficult as long as the game keeps me entertained. More importantly, it never feels cheap. It's not as though the AI is rubber banding it's way to victory or pulling out some crazy stunts to win. It's always my own screw-ups and impatience that cost me the race.

Yeah, it's tough as nails but ridiculous fun! The first race I finished on my second try. The second race took me about 6 tries before I placed first. The level of destruction is really fun to watch. It's definitely a combination of Flatout, Burnout and Split/Second and it's pretty damned great in the process. I don't mind the difficult as long as the game keeps me entertained. More importantly, it never feels cheap. It's not as though the AI is rubber banding it's way to victory or pulling out some crazy stunts to win. It's always my own screw-ups and impatience that cost me the race.

My ears. It is music to them. :)

Edit: I should add that I'm already an owner, just not yet a player.

robot

Has anyone played around with the custom track maker?

I barely scratched it and it's pretty amazing. The basic editor is super easy and you can build some really nice tracks really quickly. Then you can add all of the craziness and details in the advanced editor.

The free roam camera in the advanced editor takes a bit getting used to (really fast and twitchy) but what you can do in there is just insane. The custom stuff is where this game really shines. The game did crash on me twice though while I was browsing other people's cities. Can't wait to see what people come up with, I played one track that was like an obstacle coarse filled with random walls, piled up cars and jumps. I hope we get some dedicated track editors otherwise it'll be a total waste.

I barely scratched it and it's pretty amazing. The basic editor is super easy and you can build some really nice tracks really quickly. Then you can add all of the craziness and details in the advanced editor.

The free roam camera in the advanced editor takes a bit getting used to (really fast and twitchy) but what you can do in there is just insane. The custom stuff is where this game really shines. The game did crash on me twice though while I was browsing other people's cities. Can't wait to see what people come up with, I played one track that was like an obstacle coarse filled with random walls, piled up cars and jumps. I hope we get some dedicated track editors otherwise it'll be a total waste.

Sounds awesome. Looking forward to playing around with this game tomorrow.

Jimrpg

what kind of environments are available in the game? is it all city based?

from the vid editor video looks like you can make some cool night environment/ industrial/ highways stuff.

really pumped about this now - doesn't look like ridge racer but the '9' score from edge and the video editor makes me wanna get this rather soon!

This sounds so cool. Can't wait to see what others make. I'm going to put dinosaurs all over my first track

Jimrpg

also bugbear if you are out there and listening... creating tracks is all well and good but if its going to end up like little big planet - where there's just a whole stack of tracks that are more or less the same and its hard to sift through it all, its going to die.

i suggest there's some sort of system where people can post up campaigns - sets of tracks. maybe highlight one set of 5 tracks per week.

also bugbear if you are out there and listening... creating tracks is all well and good but if its going to end up like little big planet - where there's just a whole stack of tracks that are more or less the same and its hard to sift through it all, its going to die.

i suggest there's some sort of system where people can post up campaigns - sets of tracks. maybe highlight one set of 5 tracks per week.

is there a rating system? like stars

K, here's my thing with the single player: I don't mind, I guess, if taking out other cars takes a full boost bar. I do mind if making shortcuts ALSO takes a full bar. As is, the game feels like you need to run a near-perfect race to clear a level. Or maybe I've had too much to drink tonight. Still. ???

legbone

i don't remember ever busting through one of the "city target" shortcuts and not getting a full power bar afterwards thanks to the collateral damage. is it not filling your power bar when you bust through things?

edit: nevermind. you pretty much do have to run a perfect run to get first place consistently. it takes strategic use of the power bar.

BigDug13

I'm living in Japan now so I can't cruise by my local Gamestop so I had to live with their $60 online price tag instead of their $50 in store price.

I can't wait...for the two weeks it will take for me to receive it. :(

scitek

There's a PC version huh? I'll have to wait and see if the framerate's capped at 30 or any such other nonsense before I consider buying it, but it looks fun. Are there any other times of day? Racing games set at permadusk always seem to make me drowsy.

robot

Here are some online details (just booted the game back up):
- User can create a city which consists of 5 tracks
- Each track can feature 1 of 5 events (Same as campaign)
- You can add traffic, time of day, AI difficulty, car class, time limit
- There are 9 areas to choose from in the tile editor (you can mix and match tiles from different areas)
- Anywhere from 5-15 tiles per area
- Advanced editor is too much to bullet out...you can basically do anything in there

When browsing through other peoples tracks:
- You can sort through cities by New, Cities of the Day, Hot Right Now, Top Cities, Favorites, and Published.
- Each track has a creator top time/score that you compete against with whatever bots he has set up (AI difficulty is chosen by creator)
- You can search for a city by creator name or city name
- 3 Featured cities appear on the main screen, 24 Hour Challenge, 6 Hour Challenge, and 1 Hour Challenge...seems like a neat way to rotate cities in and out
- You can also select multiplayer, and choose any user created city to play in

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Call me crazy, but I have a feeling that DIRT: Showdown is going to be more enjoyable than this game, so I'll probably go with that instead.....*UNLESS* there is confirmation that the PC versions of RRU supports force feedback steering wheels, and it runs at a smooth 60fps(something we KNOW is in Showdown).

Here are some online details (just booted the game back up):
- User can create a city which consists of 5 tracks
- Each track can feature 1 of 5 events (Same as campaign)
- You can add traffic, time of day, AI difficulty, car class, time limit
- There are 9 areas to choose from in the tile editor (you can mix and match tiles from different areas)
- Anywhere from 5-15 tiles per area
- Advanced editor is too much to bullet out...you can basically do anything in there

When browsing through other peoples tracks:
- You can sort through cities by New, Cities of the Day, Hot Right Now, Top Cities, Favorites, and Published.
- Each track has a creator top time/score that you compete against with whatever bots he has set up (AI difficulty is chosen by creator)
- You can search for a city by creator name or city name
- 3 Featured cities appear on the main screen, 24 Hour Challenge, 6 Hour Challenge, and 1 Hour Challenge...seems like a neat way to rotate cities in and out
- You can also select multiplayer, and choose any user created city to play in

Thanks for the info. How much is the editor tied to player progression? Do you get a lot to start off with right off that bat?

mujun

I'm living in Japan now so I can't cruise by my local Gamestop so I had to live with their $60 online price tag instead of their $50 in store price.

I can't wait...for the two weeks it will take for me to receive it. :(

How come you don't use Play Asia or Amazon Japan?

Top Bottom