• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The anime film adaptation of Koe No Katachi (A Silent Voice) hit me hard

YTBErCO.jpg

Koe No Katachi (translated to: A Silent Voice, or Voice of Silence)
Director: Naoko Yamada
Based on manga by: Yoshitoki Ōima
Release Date: 9/17/2016
BluRay Release: 5/17/2017

Synopsis: A deaf elementary school girl, Shoko Nishimiya, upon transferring, meets a boy named Shoya Ishida in her new class. Shoya, who is not deaf, leads the class in bullying Shoko, because she is deaf. As the bullying continues, the class starts to bully Shoya for bullying Shoko. After graduating from elementary school, Shoko and Shoya do not speak to each other… until later, when Shoya, tormented over his past, decides he must see Shoko once more. Shoya wants to make amends for what he did in elementary school and be Shoko's friend.

I recently got wind of this anime while during my visit to Japan last autumn. I hadn't heard of it before even though its manga had been finished since 2014. I think I was too busy going nuts over Kimi no Na Wa (Your Name) to really put any attention to it and figured I'd hear more about it when I got back to the states. Here we are months later and the movie finally has come out on bluray and boy, did it deliver.

Not looking to review it or anything but this movie hit me hard. My wife was born with a hearing loss in both of her ears and she had to wear hearing aides as a kid and was put into special education classes in elementary school. As we watched the movie together she completely understood and related to the main character girl, Shoko, who is bullied and constantly seen as a mystery and even a burden to the other kids. It also really highlighted my own feelings of being a kid and joining in on making fun of special education kids just because everyone else was doing it (didn't bully or anything, just sorta avoided them).

Since it was done by Kyoto Animation the look and feel is top notch and the music is perfect, especially during really pivotal scenes that just tugged at my heart strings. The characters feel more than just templates of stereotypical archetypes you usually see, and they are flawed individuals that I feel most can relate to no matter which of the cast you feel more drawn to.

Haven't watched the movie yet (but I plan to really soon) but I've read the manga and it's damn excellent. Having been a victim of bullying myself it's interesting how this series tackles a redemption arc for a bully which goes rather well imo.

Jonnax

It was brilliant.

In my opinion there is no reason to read the Manga with such a good adaptation that executes the the core story without meandering and cruft.

I haven't read any of the original manga but was that touched upon? Also, what about the sister? Thought it was weird how she was treated as a character in the movie.

Part of the mum's story is that she never bothered to learn sign language. And uses the grandmother and sister to communicate with her.

AALLx

There was a manga? I see, no wonder there were so many non-characters that had no development in the movie.

It was brilliant.

In my opinion there is no reason to read the Manga with such a good adaptation that executes the the core story without meandering and cruft.

Part of the mum's story is that she never bothered to learn sign language. And uses the grandmother and sister to communicate with her.

Eh, that last part of your comment seems to be really important that didn't seem to be covered in the movie. I'd say there's worth in reading the manga just to see the other characters get fully fleshed out. I agree the core story and cast was great and was handled really well, but there were a lot of other characters and scenes that felt pointless or just plain padding due to lack of context, something that the manga would most likely provide.

Its up on some websites...

Anyway I kinda expected romance but I guess its more about making amends.

Was a good movie but not a keeper for my collection.

It was brilliant.

Oh, that's definitely interesting. Though, I was talking about Shouyo's sister, who is curiously absent, and even has her face obscured at times.

DiGiKerot

Oh, that's definitely interesting. Though, I was talking about Shouyo's sister, who is curiously absent, and even has her face obscured at times.

Shouya's sister doesn't really appear in the manga, either - her presence is mostly felt by the suggestion that she's hopping from boyfriend to boyfriend during the segment where Shouya is a young'un before eventually settling down with an immigrant. It's never really anything that appears beyond the periphery of the story, though.

Its up on some websites...

It's also available legitimately for purchase on a number of legal UK video streaming platforms (iTunes, Amazon, Google, etc), as to not condone piracy.

I saw this when it came out and still have the special popcorn stand in my closet. While the movie is good, I liked the manga better. I highly recommend you read it OP.

Not having read the manga and only having heard of it I was kind of disappointed that the show focused on the childhood bully rather than the deaf girl.

I read the manga. It was very good for the most part, but at the same time unfortunate that the ending was so botched. It's pretty abrupt for one thing, and includes a time skip that feels ill-conceived and needless. But the worst aspect is the complete absence, almost rejection, of romance in the last third or so, which comes across as very jarring since it feels like the writer intends to bring the central pair together romantically, but then just randomly decided at a certain point later down the line to keep them friends instead. It doesn't feel like a natural conclusion to their growing relationship at all. Shame really, because the first half or so is just perfect, and succeeds in being really gut-wrenching on an emotional level.

I'd like to watch the film, but it'll be frustrating for me if it ends in a similar manner.

I should watch this if only because of KyoAni and Naoko Yamada, but i've only ever read the original one shot and i'm kinda afraid of what serialization could have done to the story.

DiGiKerot

I read the manga. It was very good for the most part, but at the same time unfortunate that the ending was so botched. It's pretty abrupt for one thing, and includes a time skip that feels ill-conceived and needless. But the worst aspect is the complete absence, almost rejection, of romance in the last third or so, which comes across as very jarring since it feels like the writer intends to bring the central pair together romantically, but then just randomly decided at a certain point later down the line to keep them friends instead. It doesn't feel like a natural conclusion to their growing relationship at all. Shame really, because the first half or so is just perfect, and succeeds in being really gut-wrenching on an emotional level.

I'd like to watch the film, but it'll be frustrating for me if it ends in a similar manner.

The movie ends at a much earlier point than the manga, and whilst it's the same in broad strokes, there's a moderate amount of rewriting around what then becomes the final act. It probably ends at about the point you'd want it to, anyway.

Liha

Banned
What a coincidence, I saw the movie last night. It's a brilliant movie and I'm glad that the movie won the Japan Movie Critics Award for best animation last week. The story and character development are simply amazing and the movie is one of the best I've ever seen.

petran79

Banned
While movie lacked the nuances of veterans like S. Kon, I. Takahata, T. Nakamura etc who were more international in their outlook, it was promising for the new generation of directors.

I have to become more delved into newer series to really appreciate it.

Alastor3

I read the manga since Im learning sign language and it's one of the best work i have read. Can't wait to see the movie.

If only the film had as much character depth and nuance as it has chromatic aberration and bloom. Or rather, how about it had just about nothing of the latter instead, too.

While I share some of the criticism, I still think the manga is solid....

While movie lacked the nuances of veterans like S. Kon, I. Takahata, T. Nakamura etc who were more international in their outlook, it was promising for the new generation of directors.

I have to become more delved into newer series to really appreciate it.

It seems strange to take the viewpoint that Yamada's directorial mindset is strictly focused on Japan when she selected a song by The Who for the film.

Clegg

Tbh I thought it was quite clear that there was, or will be a romantic relationship between the two. They planned their futures in such a way that they'd be close to each other and Ishida turned down another girl who was clearly into him.

There were elements of the manga I disliked. For example the conflict between Ishida and his childhood friends was never properly resolved. But the romance stuff was handled well. Just never saw an on-screen consummation.

While I share some of the criticism, I still think the manga is solid....

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as too negative. I enjoyed it overall, it was definitely an 8 out of 10 or so. But when a piece of fiction starts off so flawlessly and resonates on a deep level, only to see it bungle the ending, I can't help but vent.

Tbh I thought it was quite clear that there was, or will be a romantic relationship between the two. They planned their futures in such a way that they'd be close to each other and Ishida turned down another girl who was clearly into him.

There were elements of the manga I disliked. For example the conflict between Ishida and his childhood friends was never properly resolved. But the romance stuff was handled well. Just never saw an on-screen consummation.

But the romance needed to be shown. It needed that pay-off. To establish such feelings between the characters early on
- let's not forget that Nishimiya explicitly confesses to the guy at one point -
, and then deny the reader the natural and expected conclusion is a poor move. It makes the manga feel unfinished. There's an ideal moment where it could've happened (the bridge in the rain), and I mean ideal... and nothing happens. We just end up getting a central pair who act weirdly reserved towards each other when the bond between them should be flourishing.

I agree with you about the childhood friends though. Kawai in particular, nobody seemed to call her out on her two-faced and manipulative ways, and she seemed to stride through events blissfully unaware of what a piece of shit she was/is. And then Shimada as well, that seems to go nowhere.

Chocoboko

I read the manga as it was released here in America and I truly loved it. One of my favorite pieces of media from recent memory. It truly touched me deeply like no other story has. It had so much heart and felt so truthful to the different situations it portrays.

I watched the movie earlier this week and have been thinking pretty much non-stop about it since. Overall I really enjoyed it, but i thought it felt kind of disjointed in the editing at some parts. Like, it seemed to just quickly bounce from scene to scene very quickly and doesn't give you to much time to stay in a single scene and process whats happening. If I didn't have so much familiarity with the manga and the characters I feel like it would have confused me in some parts. I think the reason it felt like that is because there is just so much stuff to go over (even with them omitting large parts of the manga), even at its 2+ hour runtime. I think it could have helped to be like at least 30min longer, or maybe they can do a TV series in the future to give the time the story needs.

But like I said, overall I really did enjoy it and if America ever gets a disk release I'll buy it in a second. I do recommend it to everyone that seems remotely interested in the plot. Its a truly touching story. Also, it's gorgeous.

Should I read the manga first or watch the movie? I kinda want to assume the movie is condensed compare to the manga due to the time limit.

Chocoboko

Should I read the manga first or watch the movie? I kinda want to assume the movie is condensed compare to the manga due to the time limit.

That is pretty much exactly what it is, a condensed version of the manga. I think they did the best they could with trying to cut the material from the manga down into a 2 hour film, but it still just feels like not enough time. It was really great to see some of the scenes towards the end animated. It's all very effective. Just know if you watch the movie first you have to keep up with it cause it moves around a lot.

I personally liked the manga better, just cause you have more time with the characters and story. If you do watch the movie first and liked it even a little bit I say also give the manga a shot. Its really great.

Finalizer

I enjoyed it but the pacing was really weird. It felt like when a TV anime gets reedited into a film.

Yep, probably my biggest gripe. Felt like they slammed on the accelerator and never let up. At least the most crucial dramatic points seem to hit their notes, but so much of the film feels like its blazing through bullet points while still leaving most of the side cast half-baked in their development. It almost feels like they may as well have cut out even more than they did so they could get a more focused film that has time to linger on important bits instead of hurdling on to the next scene ASAP.

AZ Greg

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as too negative. I enjoyed it overall, it was definitely an 8 out of 10 or so. But when a piece of fiction starts off so flawlessly and resonates on a deep level, only to see it bungle the ending, I can't help but vent.

But the romance needed to be shown. It needed that pay-off. To establish such feelings between the characters early on
- let's not forget that Nishimiya explicitly confesses to the guy at one point -
, and then deny the reader the natural and expected conclusion is a poor move. It makes the manga feel unfinished. There's an ideal moment where it could've happened (the bridge in the rain), and I mean ideal... and nothing happens. We just end up getting a central pair who act weirdly reserved towards each other when the bond between them should be flourishing.

I agree with you about the childhood friends though. Kawai in particular, nobody seemed to call her out on her two-faced and manipulative ways, and she seemed to stride through events blissfully unaware of what a piece of shit she was/is. And then Shimada as well, that seems to go nowhere.

Just finished watching and my thoughts pretty much align with yours.

Will definitely give it a rewatch at some point soon.

Thanks for making this thread I was unaware of this movie before. I just watched it and I loved it. Such an emotionally powerful movie. Really makes you think hard about bullying and the long term consequences.

I'll probably check out the manga now, since it was mentioned some characters were better developed in it.

Some spoilers/questions:

First of all, fuck Naoka Ueno. What a piece of shit.

I was wondering what the trigger was for Nishimiya to try to commit suicide after the fireworks? I mean I understand the overall motivation but why at that specific moment? It had something to do with her hearing right? Like she couldn't hear the fireworks anymore for the first time in her life?
edit. I forgot about the bridge scene just before.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Whaaa? IIRC the main boy and the main girl getting together was a very conclusive thing in that manga.

Busaiku

Thanks for making this thread I was unaware of this movie before. I just watched it and I loved it. Such an emotionally powerful movie. Really makes you think hard about bullying and the long term consequences.

I'll probably check out the manga now, since it was mentioned some characters were better developed in it.

Some spoilers/questions:

First of all, fuck Naoka Ueno. What a piece of shit.

I was wondering what the trigger was for Nishimiya to try to commit suicide after the fireworks? I mean I understand the overall motivation but why at that specific moment? It had something to do with her hearing right? Like she couldn't hear the fireworks anymore for the first time in her life?
edit. I forgot about the bridge scene just before.
I dunno if it was different in the movie, but...
Wasn't that after everyone had all the big arguments during the movie production? She might have thought it largely stemmed from her inclusion.

Top Bottom