• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Inhumans/Inhumass/Inhumazz: Review Thread.

30h9qpT.jpg

You will never witness this epic moment on the big screen.

Thank you, Scott Buck.
/s

To be fair though, even if the show was good we'd never see that. They seem really resistant to mixing the movie and TV characters, even when they do well.

So Buck needs to be fired and whoever is in charge of the TV division should give it back to movie people

Wasn't there something going on with two people and that's why the shows are kind of "separate" from the main MCU? Like it was Perlmutter and Feige right?

Cuburt

So is the whole replace mutants with Inhumansnow finally dead?

I think they gave up on the idea because there isn't much in the show that even points to this being the direction they want to go. In fact,
one interaction with an obviously mutated Inhuman and some regular humans have the humans point out he is an Inhuman and just kind of laughs at it being cool. There is no persecution from humans, there is no hints or terrigen bombs, it's being played as a Royal Family/Attilan story for the most part.

I'm not even sure how much we might actually hear about the Kree or the Inhumans that already lived/live on Earth per Agents of SHIELD.

The idea is dead as far as I can tell whether this show fails or not.

Cuburt

Any wider MCU references you might have picked up on, Cuburt?

I saw a lot of Kree writing, which was kind of cool but never referenced by the characters.

Otherwise nothing I can remember. Not even a reference to "the green guy" or some vague sort of reference like that when they see Black Bolt and Lockjaw appear and scare everyone. The closest thing I remember is that people on Earth apparently already know Inhumans are a thing, but it's not even presented like it has any connection to the events in AoS.

Boem

I was actually offered free tickets to this through work. Didn't even know they were doing screenings of this in the Netherlands.

I would have to go tonight, but even though it's free, I don't even want to bother. I have better things to do than sitting in a theatre until midnight watching this nonsense.

I did a quick check among friends and family if I could make anyone else happy with the tickets, and the vast majority didn't even know what this was. The ones who did didn't want them. Not even as a "free night out hate watch" thing - it's a weekday after all.

I guess they're going to another random employee now.

Cuburt

I will say that I think fans of the Inhumans will probably like how they presented Attilan.

I think that is the one aspect (including the world building) that will have me give the show a chance when it's on TV just since there is potential there for some cool storytelling.

But then again, I wouldn't be surprised if they spend more time in Hawaii than on Attilan.

In all fairness, Iron Fist was also overly fond of repeated, unnecessary flashbacks.

"You fought an immense, immortal, magical dragon in the wilderness surrounding an eternal city shrouded by mystery, and filled with the monks who founded Kung Fu? And you punched it in the heart, giving you incalculable mystic powers for a mortal?"

"Yes."

BTXsGLU.gif

There's a theater near me where every showing is basically completely open but then there is an 11:40PM showing that is sold out....that is weird.

"You fought an immense, immortal, magical dragon in the wilderness surrounding an eternal city shrouded by mystery, and filled with the monks who founded Kung Fu? And you punched it in the heart, giving you incalculable mystic powers for a mortal?"

"Yes."

BTXsGLU.gif

Flawless.

"Seymour the city is shaking!"

"No Mother, it's just an immortal dragon!"

"Yes."

BTXsGLU.gif
Flawless.

"Seymour the city is shaking!"

"No Mother, it's just an immortal dragon!"

This is my favorite summary of Iron Fist that's ever happened.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Not surprised to see something that looks like hot garbage totally suck.

Man they should keep that dude away from marvel, ironfist and now this turd, thats two clangers in a row

To be fair though, even if the show was good we'd never see that. They seem really resistant to mixing the movie and TV characters, even when they do well.

I would have still been optimistic about Marvel TV and Netflix joining the MCU. Now that Buck has tainted both sides, it's over.

I was hyped to watch this when it was announced but I'm not really caring now.

Absolute zero. Inhumans on TV/movies is dead for at least a decade due to this pile of trash.

You never know. Fantastic Four keeps coming back despite never having a decent movie and X-Men came back despite half the movies being hot garbage.

Slaythe

Ok so I asked my friend, who had seen this, what the dumbest moment of the pilot was and here it is:

Maximus taunts Black Bolt with the fact that BB had killed their parents and immediately after he says this, we get a flashback of young Black Bolt playing with some toys next to his parents. Completely unprovoked and out of nowhere, Black Bolt just screams,

"WHY?"

And his parents both blow up. No explanation given as to why this happens, why Black Bolt yelled it, or what he was thinking.

It will all make perfect sense when we find out he just had 4th wall breaking vision about this adaption.

Kin5290

According to IGN, the review embargo lifts 7 pm ET today. Marvel knows that they have a stinker if they set the embargo to prevent any kind of prerelease reviews.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I was hyped to watch this when it was announced but I'm not really caring now.

You never know. Fantastic Four keeps coming back despite never having a decent movie and X-Men came back despite half the movies being hot garbage.

FF4 movies keep getting made because they have to. The IP has to be used every, I believe, 7 years or the rights revert back to Marvel.

The X-men movies make money, so that's really all that matters on that end.

CamHostage

My only interest in this was for Anson Mount (of Hell on Wheels) as one of the leads, but I don't know if I'll be tuning in. It doesn't seem like a fun-bad project, it doesn't seem like the kind of actor's showcase that I can at least see good work being done despite the bad final product, and it's not something I feel like I want to show support for in any way. Hopefully the stink won't stick to whichever good people were involved, at least.

Garlador

FF4 movies keep getting made because they have to. The IP has to be used every, I believe, 7 years or the rights revert back to Marvel.

The X-men movies make money, so that's really all that matters on that end.

I guess the thing with FF4, unlike X-men, is that every time they've tried to use it because the "have to" they LOSE money on it. X-men movies make bank, usually... FF4 hasn't been financially successful for them since 2005... and that just BARELY got a profit. The franchise has lost them far more money than it ever earned them, especially since they don't really get money off merchandising either (Marvel gets that, not Fox).

So when saddled with an IP that is NOT making them money, but they "need" to use it to keep making movies that aren't making them money, I'm not sure if it makes sense to hold on to it. It's costing them more than it's helping them.

What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? At this point, they've poisoned the brand enough that they could actually make a good film... but who at this point will be lining up to see the next Fantastic Four film? Unlike Spider-man, there was never a "golden period" to return to, no fond memories of the comic brought to life, no nostalgic praise for paving the way for future films...

Fox holds onto it because they keep thinking they can get something... somewhere... somehow... good out of it, despite two decades of evidence proving they really can't. It's why, at this point, they're looking to make films based on the SIDE characters instead... Doom, the Richard kids, etc... because they can't do the main group justice.

And the Incredibles 2 is coming out soon anyway.

LakeEarth

Yeah, Marvel shows don't like to be consistent when it comes to power levels. In Defenders,
Luke Cage is unflinching when Iron Fist hits him with non-charged strikes, but gets knocked back when regular Hand Ninjas hit him. Similarly, Iron Fist actually hurts Luke Cage by a charged up glowing hand strike, he knocks back multiple people just by hitting the air but in the finale, hits regular Hand Ninjas with it and they react like it's a normal strike.
. It's an annoying problem.

The problem is trying to make the Inhumans the X-Men isn't true to the source material. These characters are not comparable to the X-Men at all.

Not LITERALLY the X-Men, but something akin to them. Prior to the movie, they could've introduced the Inhuman royalty as a powerful group that aided during the Infinity War, then the movie could've focused on Terrigen Mist cloud turning people into new Inhumans and the royalty reaching out to them to help them understand their powers. Maybe introduce more "there are too many super powered beings wrecking everything" human governments that are banding together to round up the newly turned Inhumans, and have the Terrigen Mist being unleashed by Maximus to make Earth into an Inhuman world where he could rule as its Emperor. Basically have Black Bolt, Medusa, Crystal and co as "mentors", the newly turned Inhumans as the main characters (Kamala Khan HAS to be there) and them fighting against both those that don't understand them, and Maximus (and his Terrrigen Mist cloud).

Uzumaki Goku

I guess the thing with FF4, unlike X-men, is that every time they've tried to use it because the "have to" they LOSE money on it. X-men movies make bank, usually... FF4 hasn't been financially successful for them since 2005... and that just BARELY got a profit. The franchise has lost them far more money than it ever earned them, especially since they don't really get money off merchandising either (Marvel gets that, not Fox).

So when saddled with an IP that is NOT making them money, but they "need" to use it to keep making movies that aren't making them money, I'm not sure if it makes sense to hold on to it. It's costing them more than it's helping them.

What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? At this point, they've poisoned the brand enough that they could actually make a good film... but who at this point will be lining up to see the next Fantastic Four film? Unlike Spider-man, there was never a "golden period" to return to, no fond memories of the comic brought to life, no nostalgic praise for paving the way for future films...

Fox holds onto it because they keep thinking they can get something... somewhere... somehow... good out of it, despite two decades of evidence proving they really can't. It's why, at this point, they're looking to make films based on the SIDE characters instead... Doom, the Richard kids, etc... because they can't do the main group justice.

And the Incredibles 2 is coming out soon anyway.

Well Fox has a lose-lose situation. Either keep using the rights and lose money or lose the rights and potentially watch a studio make a hit out of it

gaiadyne

Not LITERALLY the X-Men, but something akin to them. Prior to the movie, they could've introduced the Inhuman royalty as a powerful group that aided during the Infinity War, then the movie could've focused on Terrigen Mist cloud turning people into new Inhumans and the royalty reaching out to them to help them understand their powers. Maybe introduce more "there are too many super powered beings wrecking everything" human governments that are banding together to round up the newly turned Inhumans, and have the Terrigen Mist being unleashed by Maximus to make Earth into an Inhuman world where he could rule as its Emperor. Basically have Black Bolt, Medusa, Crystal and co as "mentors", the newly turned Inhumans as the main characters (Kamala Khan HAS to be there) and them fighting against both those that don't understand them, and Maximus (and his Terrrigen Mist cloud).

instead we got Inhumans on a vacation to Hawaii

Garlador

Well Fox has a lose-lose situation. Either keep using the rights and lose money or lose the rights and potentially watch a studio make a hit out of it

OR... give Marvel a price and sell it back to them. It'd be the only money they'd see out of it in over a decade and half.

Uzumaki Goku

OR... give Marvel a price and sell it back to them. It'd be the only money they'd see out of it in over a decade and half.

Honestly even if Marvel gets FF back they probably wouldn't make a movie right away. There's a reason why Blade, Ghost Rider, Daredevil and Punisher haven't been seen in movies yet

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

I'm hoping that Fox and Marvel working together to make TV shows (Legion, The Gifted) is a sign that a deal to have the FF in the MCU is in the works, similar to Spider-Man.

SFenton

Honestly even if Marvel gets FF back they probably wouldn't make a movie right away. There's a reason why Blade, Ghost Rider, Daredevil and Punisher haven't been seen in movies yet

I mean, last three have been relegated to ABC/Netflix land. Won’t be shocked if that’s where Blade goes too.

Vox's Todd VanDerWerff doesn't seem to have seen the IMAX cut of the first two episodes, but he has seen a rough cut of the TV version of the pilot, and wrote a not-quite-review of it:

For starters, the warning that Inhumans was incomplete would seem to apply mostly to the show's visual effects, which did indeed have some glitchy qualities to work out. That's common for TV shows with big special effects sequences, which are often tweaked and finessed up until the very last minute. And when you consider that Inhumans boasts the most significant computer-generated character in TV history (a teleporting giant bulldog named Lockjaw), it's easy to understand why it would remain a work in progress until the very last second.

But I can overlook incomplete effects. I've been doing it for years. (My first major assignment was reviewing Battlestar Galactica every week, and that show almost never had completed effects on its screeners.) The key factor in this equation is that the visual effects are one of the last things added to a series — they can't compensate for bad writing, incompetent direction, or listless performances.

And because this is not a time when I can publish an official review, I will say no more, except that I am highly, highly doubtful that completed effects will fix what's wrong with Inhumans. All the spiffy teleporting bulldogs in the world won't be able to overcome this series' issues.

So, look, I can't tell you not to spend $20-plus to see the show in IMAX before it officially premieres on ABC. It's your money, not mine. But one function that critics can serve is that of consumer service — advising you against spending money on something that might make you wish you had spent it on anything else.

30h9qpT.jpg

You will never witness this epic moment on the big screen.

Thank you, Scott Buck.
/s

Yup, ruined. As if all the previews and gifs didn't give us enough. Telling you, let shield(I saw last season and still think it's terrible), this show, and iron fist go. Let em go Marvel.

In a decade the inhumans will be resurrected as a MCU movie and this trash show will be thrown in the trash heap of history where it belongs

Top Bottom