• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE: Anti Used System 'can be a win and a loss'.

legend166

I love how developers want their games to be viewed as art and/or entertainment spectacles ala a Hollywood blockbuster; and then turn around at the point of sale and say "wait wait wait wait, we're going to sell this to you as if it were a piece of productive corporate software."

It truly is a sight to behold.

I love how developers want their games to be viewed as art and/or entertainment spectacles ala a Hollywood blockbuster; and then turn around at the point of sale and say "wait wait wait wait, we're going to sell this to you as if it were a piece of productive corporate software."

They make disposable entertainment units by design and then seem shocked and dismayed that we don't cherish them as precious heirlooms to vouchsafe in our collections forever. While they see innovations meant to lead to growth and the subsequent and inevitable backlash by a loud minority I see only a group of companies acting against their own long term interests.

You got that right.

Joni

Have you tried reselling your movie ticket?

Well when I realized I had a scheduling conflict about five minutes after I'd bought the ticket the guy at the booth very nicely told me that they'd sell the seat to someone else instead, and if they could do that my old ticket was void and I could get a refund.

That count?

On a theoretical level there is absolutely nothing preventing me from selling a movie ticket after the movie has passed, just as there is nothing preventing me from selling a games disc to be used as a drinks coaster by someone else.

It's just not very likely to happen.

Joni

Have you tried reselling an event ticket after the event have passed?
Of course not. But if they are modelling themselves after Hollywood blockbusters, that might be their point too. The anti-used point isn't so strange if you're modelling yourself after an industry that by definition doesn't allow reselling and tries to sell the same product three times. (Cinema, DVD, TV-channels)

Wouldn't a DVD / Blu-Ray be a closer analogy?
No. The major hype for a hollywood blockbuster is for the cinematic release. The DVD release is always a smaller event. I'm not trying to make the comparison based on actual merit though (Where I would agree on the basis that discs = discs), but on a thought process if you're modelling yourself after Hollywood.

Mael

Of course not. But if they are modelling themselves after Hollywood blockbusters, that might be their point too. The anti-used point isn't so strange if you're modelling yourself after an industry that by definition doesn't allow reselling and tries to sell the same product three times. (Cinema, DVD, TV-channels)

No. The major hype for a hollywood blockbuster is for the cinematic release. The DVD release is always a smaller event. I'm not trying to make the comparison based on actual merit though (Where I would agree on the basis that discs = discs), but on a thought process if you're modelling yourself after Hollywood.

Your analogy is flawed, the equivalent of the cinema (going out to pictures) is, and have always been, the arcades.
Might as well go with car analogies it's a lot closer than comparing boxed retail to cinema.

Joni

Your analogy is flawed, the equivalent of the cinema (going out to pictures) is, and have always been, the arcades.

Have you seen the first post I quoted? I'm working on the basis that developers are comparing games to hollywood blockbuster releases. I'm not making an analogy myself.

Mael

Have you seen the first post I quoted? I'm working on the basis that developers are comparing games to hollywood blockbuster releases. I'm not making an analogy myself.

Sorry then.
The developers' analogy is flawed.

Dunan

Echoing other posters' sentiments that this industry desperately needs a crash.

If your business model depends on the removal of basic property rights that have existed since the dawn of civilization (and are indeed one of the major pillars that define "civilization"), then you don't deserve to be in business.

Produce a product. Sell it. You got paid for what you produced, whether the product eventually passes through one pair of hands or a dozen. Simple as that.

jimi_dini

Funny that you ask.
I was once in a movie that really sucked. After 1/3rd of the movie, I went out with my buddy, asked for a refund and we got all our monies back. Does this count? Would be nice to get that for games as well.

Metal B

If you believe differently, you're a hypocrite. I'd like to see copies of the payments you're going to make to the movie companies for every film you've ever seen when you're not alone. Two people, one viewing = theft. Right? Pull your head out.

That's properly there next try. Every new controller comes with fingerprint scanners, so that only the registered buyer can play the game, and the new Xbox Kinetic Version with facial recognition will only play the game, if all people in the room pay a license. Even before you buy a game the game companies will ask your internet-provider, if you ever illegal downloaded a game.

Burai

shitonmychest57
They make disposable entertainment units by design and then seem shocked and dismayed that we don't cherish them as precious heirlooms to vouchsafe in our collections forever. While they see innovations meant to lead to growth and the subsequent and inevitable backlash by a loud minority I see only a group of companies acting against their own long term interests.

Exactly. They release games on a yearly cycle with pre-planned obsolescence, yet we're supposed to keep them forever?

"it's about trying to create some benefits for consumers"

Lol no......I disagree.

People will just be much, much more selective in what they buy which can be very bad for companies with unproven and new IP's or games, shaky track records or games that aren't highly rated.

Fredrik

There will be a huge backlash to this.

Right now I might buy a $20 7/10 game, used, 3 months after launch, end up loving it, make a LTTP thread and talk about it with friends, which in turn might sell some "new" games because of word of mouth.

With this anti-used system I'll only buy 10/10 games, Zelda/Uncharted/Skyrim/Mario/etc. I won't ever go near a $60 7/10 game. And no more LTTP threads and word of mouth sales.

Good Luck selling your games, devs.

StevieP

Banned
It's just never enough. Day one DLC, piracy blaming, online pass, pre-order exclusive items, and now this.

Can't wait to see this huge fuck up live in all its glory. The only way I see this shit working out is to mimic iTunes and Steam and going DD with good pricing and sales.

Let it make this clear right now. If they add this anti-consumer policy in next-gen consoles, then I won't be buying one at all. I'll game on PC for cheap prices, F2P, and amazing sales. I will keep hunting down rare and cheap games on Ebay, adding more games to my collection, and they will fuck off. They won't get my money. They will fuck off.

PC (Steam, activations, etc) works the same way that the new consoles are going to work. You own a license, not a game.

Just two years ago I would have never thought I would only be looking forward to the new Nintendo console and handhelds. I would have never fucking believed it, but its true at this point. I can't believe i'm saying it but the Wii-U is my last hope for gaming into next gen.

If not screw it, I got enough backlog on my PS3 alone and will make do between the Vita and 3DS.

The Wii U is in on this as well. There is an NFC reader built into the controller to make it easy. Read Iwata's latest Q&A speaking about how all games on the Wii U will be available via retail disc, their own e-store, and via download codes/cards from retailers. AKA every game has a license that must be activated. This isn't going to work unless all the publishers are in on it. And they are.

Actually, only one needs to do it. As soon as one console disallows used games, publishers can justify completely dropping support for the others. And since no one will buy a console that gets 0 EA and Activision games (see: Dreamcast), the other two manufacturers will be forced to implement anti-used systems too.

Publishers have already made it clear that the console makers are listening.

i take a lot of issue with this post. you equate progress in gaming with technical improvements and graphical fidelity, which is just asinine on face value and not remotely true in reality. looking at some of the most successful games this generation, plenty of people are willing to play 'stagnate' games. stuff like angry birds, mario bros. wii and minecraft could not be more hideous and visually unappealing yet they're tremendously successful in spite of that

what i see happening in the industry now is a relatively small but dedicated group of twenty/thirty something male gamers who want ultra-high budget blastathons and cinematic games, which is driving up game budgets and standards across the board as publishers try to compete for this audience. the reality is, games aren't magically more progressive because Buff McWhiteGuywithAssaultRifle has nice shaders on his ginourmous shoulder pads. this has been the worst generation of console gaming for me because the high budgets are forcing talented and niche developement houses out of the industry all together. not to mention whole genres have far less representation than in past generations. not to mention if you want your high budget blastathons, you pay the price in anti-consumer schemes like dlc. how is that progress? it's more like a suicide pact for the industry

You must be my soulmate

Liberty4all

Banned
Aren't there people who buy games new, finish them, resell them and then buy a new game with that money?

Wont the publishers lose those people?

Yup. I'm one of those guys. And yes they will lose me.

Basically I'll only be able to buy triple A "for sure franchises" stuff next gen if the resale market goes away.

So basically the opposite of what's said in the OP.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Who's going to buy a single player game when it is $60, with no option to resell it after completing it?
That's pretty much ALL I do.

I rarely if ever play multiplayer these days so all of the games I purchase, effectively, single player games. No regrets here.

Wthermans

Banned
That would also cover, for example, family of the person who purchased the game (or book). Is my son not a "customer" if I buy a Harry Potter book, read it, and also let him read it? Anyone who would say "no" is an asshole.

I have two of several consoles in my house. These publishers now want to force me to buy two copies of every game - one for each console. That will never happen, I promise you.

There are a lot more scenarios than just Gamestop and their (perfectly legitimate) business model for people having "used" games. Ironically, theirs is the only one where the money involved (if any) goes directly back into new game sales.

I spend thousands of dollars each year on video games. I'm the dream customer who always buys new and never sells. But I will not stand for anti-consumer practices, even if I don't personally exercise those consumer rights. They can kiss my money good-bye.

No, your son is not a customer of that author/publisher. YOU are the customer since you purchased the product, but your son is not.

Magnus

Aren't there people who buy games new, finish them, resell them and then buy a new game with that money?

Absolutely. I can't remember the last time I actually paid full cash for a game (except for DD, obvz); a trade's almost always been behind it.

No, your son is not a customer of that author/publisher. YOU are the customer since you purchased the product, but your son is not.

While he isn't strictly, no, isn't there a lot of mental mindshare going on there? Like, isn't he likely to become a future paying customer if he's permitted to read his parent's book?

Rufus

Yeah, I'm pretty sure budgets that call for prices which outgrow the market are not the problem here.

Fuck's sake. Look at Japan. You can't rent games there and game prices are insane. Guess what, the used games market is HUGE.

Wthermans

Banned
Absolutely. I can't remember the last time I actually paid full cash for a game (except for DD, obvz); a trade's almost always been behind it.

While he isn't strictly, no, isn't there a lot of mental mindshare going on there? Like, isn't he likely to become a future paying customer if he's permitted to read his parent's book?

Perhaps, but that's not what is being questioned. DICE does not view people who play their games as customers unless that individual actually purchased the game new. Don't like their viewpoint? Don't buy their games. I doubt it will mean anything to them though.

Omega

Banned

My brother and one of my friends do this.

Also, this effects people who borrow games to try them out. Unless I've missed something, I don't see how borrowing/renting games is going to work.

Publishers are so shortsighted and just want to get more money but don't think about how much they'll actually lose with something like this.

Liberty4all

Banned
My brother and one of my friends do this.

Also, this effects people who borrow games to try them out. Unless I've missed something, I don't see how borrowing/renting games is going to work.

Publishers are so shortsighted and just want to get more money but don't think about how much they'll actually lose with something like this.

The real problem is that publishers are trying to get money they were never going to get from us anyways.

If the used market dies people will buy LESS games not MORE.

mr_toa

While I on a personal level think a future without second hand games is a petty anti-consumer step in the wrong direction for the industry, I'm certain they're doing their due dilligence as-we-speak.

Sales data from XBL, PSN and e.g. Steam/Origin is currently providing participating publichers with a pretty good idea on the possibilities of such a path for the next gen related to current retail numbers of new vs. second hand games sales.

The on-line pass has already paved the way for implementing a lock-out on second hand sales, and should be a no brainer for console manufacturers to implement. Would be sweet to get a peek at the business cases being pitched right now and some of the underlying data being used for deciding on the go/no-go.

Durante

PC (Steam, activations, etc) works the same way that the new consoles are going to work. You own a license, not a game.
But on PC you (a) can often buy the game much cheaper and (b) if some publisher decides to "revoke" your "licence" after you bought it, you can just crack it and continue playing.

StevieP

Banned
But on PC you (a) can often buy the game much cheaper and (b) if some publisher decides to "revoke" your "licence" after you bought it, you can just crack it and continue playing.

The first part of that is because of the platform in question (Steam) which regularly has sales. I'm not sure if the same types of sales would apply on any of the consoles (somehow I doubt it). The second part of your statement is just piracy.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Ah, so this unparalleled generosity is apparently supposed to be a one-way thing? I'm supposed to take every bit of exploitation and abuse these game companies are throwing our way but not actually stand up for my own rights as a consumer because that would be selfish?

Or, I could go with services that, when they ask me to give up something like my right to resell games, give me something in return. Like massively discounted prices - that's a pretty nice one.
Again... no one is forcing you to play games where game developers are trying to screw you. Sorry, in the age of internet there is no fucking chance for you to stumble into an user exploiting game. There isn't even a chance to stumble into a game you don't like. You can find reviews, demos, videos, everthing of a game so you know exactly what you'll get when you buy it. There is no excuse for lettingyourself "abuse" by a game company.

And since we now cleared that up and we know that everyone knows what he gets when he buys a game, I don't see one single valid argument to not pay the people who give you what you want.

I generally don't understand what the hell is going on here. Although I don't buy a single game used, I don't ever spend more than 100 EUR per month for games - even at the full packed holiday season. And guess what? I still have a huge backlog of games I just can't find the time to play. What the hell are you people doing in order to have to insist that much on used games sales??

Yes, yes.....and?

Everyone knows this. Everyone also knows you pay a lot less for it, at least, on Steam, if you want to wait for the fairly close sales event that's about to happen right next the corner.

I have no problem paying for a "license" when I buy DD games on my PC, as long as the price reflects that it's a fucking license. Steam is good at this, so I don't complain.

If they dare trying this approach for the next generation, then good for them. But if it turns out it was all a fraud (you know what I mean) with more greedy intentions and more anti-consumer bullshits, then let them burn until there is no remnant anymore.

Mithos

(b) if some publisher decides to "revoke" your "licence" after you bought it, you can just crack it and continue playing.

If a developer would do that they BETTER give my money back.

The second part of your statement is just piracy.

And the thing that lead to piracy is fraud from the publisher, taking away something you payed for without giving the money back.

scitek

I have no problem paying for a "license" when I buy DD games on my PC, as long as the price reflects that it's a fucking license. Steam is good at this, so I don't complain.

If they dare trying this approach for the next generation, then good for them. But if it turns out it was all a fraud (you know what I mean) with more greedy intentions and more anti-consumer bullshits, then let them burn until there is no remnant anymore.

I do, and I keep cracks so I can play my games whenever Steam's offline mode doesn't work like it's supposed to, too.

larvi

The first part of that is because of the platform in question (Steam) which regularly has sales. I'm not sure if the same types of sales would apply on any of the consoles (somehow I doubt it). The second part of your statement is just piracy.

Why would it be piracy to crack a game you purchased a valid license for? I bet pretty much any judge would rule you had a every right to use the software if you could produce a receipt showing you paid for it.

StevieP

Banned
Why would it be piracy to crack a game you purchased a valid license for? I bet pretty much any judge would rule you had a every right to use the software if you could produce a receipt showing you paid for it.

You are purchasing a license to use said software on PC (and on future consoles). Not the software itself - you do NOT own it. The EULA you accept says just that. If your Steam account is revoked by Valve, for example, you no longer own these licenses that you paid for. Cracking them, at that point, has no gray area and is illegal.

Durante

The second part of your statement is just piracy.
Piracy is the practice of attacking and robbing ships at sea. It would have to be investigated whether cracking a game you bought is against some copyright law, but I doubt that this is the case in my country. Even if it were, I would have no moral qualms doing so. However, on closed platforms you usually don't have the option and are at the mercy of shitty publisher policies such as this.

larvi

You are purchasing a license to use said software on PC (and on future consoles). Not the software itself - you do NOT own it. The EULA you accept says just that. If your Steam account is revoked by Valve, for example, you no longer own these licenses that you paid for. Cracking them, at that point, has no gray area and is illegal.

EULAs are not law so breaking one is not an illegal act, they are not part of established copyrite law. A Eula may be an enforceable document but that is something that would need to be decided in court if you violate the terms of that contract you may be subject to whatever clauses are in that contract, i.e. revocation of you Steam account but that doesn't mean you don't still have a legal license to play the game under copyrite law.

Top Bottom