• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins Deathstroke DLC "not available on all platforms"

I've had this theory in my head for a while now that the eShop infrastructure doesn't currently support direct DLC code redemption. The Wii U versions of games have been left out of all the pre-order stuff thus far, with Rayman Legends being the only exception (which hopefully means that it's being updated prior to its release), and I think this also helps explain why there aren't any season or online passes on the system, too.

One would think with Rayman Legends coming out two months prior to Arkham Origins that WB would be able to offer it, but perhaps they're playing it safe for now.

Didn't RE:R have some pre-order Wii U DLC of some kind? I think I heard something similar to that.

Is the Wii U set up similar to the 3DS where you have to purchase dlc from a store inside the game rather than the E-Shop? Maybe it wasn't worth the effort of implementing a store just for the Wii U version.

D-e-f-

Banned
Didn't RE:R have some pre-order Wii U DLC of some kind? I think I heard something similar to that.

It didn't have pre-order DLC. Said pre-order DLC is simply available for free on the eShop, no pre-ordering required.

I think it's pretty clear it's WiiU that won't be getting the DLC. It's clearly not going to be PS3 or 360 getting left out in the cold, and there's no reason not to release it on PC.

The only other option is that they could be getting cagey and referring to the 3DS and Vita versions of the game, even though they have different storylines and (I believe) completely different release dates.

PC has a history of not getting DLC, btw. Just saying.

That said, Warner Bros. clearly doesn't have their eShop situation figured out.

Is the Wii U set up similar to the 3DS where you have to purchase dlc from a store inside the game rather than the E-Shop? Maybe it wasn't worth the effort of implementing a store just for the Wii U version.

No. Works like every other digital store.

Scum

I remember the days when I had to show off my gaming prowess in order to unlock fancy extras and bonuses.

*sigh*

Darmik

I hope this isn't the case. I was planning on buying the WiiU version. If the Deathstroke stuff is just challenge arena stuff I wouldn't care too much, but if it's story content like Catwomen I don't think I would be willing to miss out.

It's really odd though. This looks to be developed alongside the other versions. It's not a rush job port like most of the third party WiiU catalogue. By the time this releases it actually has a decent chance of being successful but this would just shoot its chances in the foot.

Theorymon

I know the Wii U isn't doing well, but I really think this trend of not including DLC in Wii U ports seems silly. Does it REALLY save that much money to spit in the face of the admittedly few people who are going to get the Wii U version?

I've had this theory in my head for a while now that the eShop infrastructure doesn't currently support direct DLC code redemption. The Wii U versions of games have been left out of all the pre-order stuff thus far, with Rayman Legends being the only exception (which hopefully means that it's being updated prior to its release), and I think this also helps explain why there aren't any season or online passes on the system, too.

One would think with Rayman Legends coming out two months prior to Arkham Origins that WB would be able to offer it, but perhaps they're playing it safe for now.

watchdogs is apparently getting preorder dlc too

gogogow

Nintendo Network logo is not the eShop logo.

This is the eShop logo:

nintendo_eshop_logo3seom.jpg

Eh, sure, but the Nintendo Network is the equivalent to XBL and PSN, the two logo's and terms that's used on all marketing material. I never seen them use the words Xbox Live Marketplace or Playstation Network Store.
Just like how Nintendo puts their Network logo on their gameboxes and not the eShop logo. Same with Sony and MS.

The other guy just asked the wrong question :p

D-e-f-

Banned
I know the Wii U isn't doing well, but I really think this trend of not including DLC in Wii U ports seems silly. Does it REALLY save that much money to spit in the face of the admittedly few people who are going to get the Wii U version?

It saves you future money since you can eventually say "our games don't sell on that platform because we don't bother doing it properly so we can just scratch that platform out of our support-column forever" :)

Eh, sure, but the Nintendo Network is the equivalent to XBL and PSN, the two logo's and terms that's used on all marketing material. I never seen them use the words Xbox Live Marketplace or Playstation Network Store.
Just like how Nintendo puts their Network logo on their gameboxes and not the eShop logo. Same with Sony and MS.

But the eShop logo appears at the end of trailers or on promotional materials. The Nintendo Network logo only ever appears on box art.

vs.

or

guek

Banned
I think the nintendo eshop logo is used to indicate availability for download off the eshop whereas the nintendo network logo is meant to indicate online functions. It's the difference between XBL:Marketplace and XBL.

edit: suddenly got a flash of a scene from Cabin in the Woods. "It's like the difference between an elephant and an elephant seal"

D-e-f-

Banned
I think the nintendo eshop logo is used to indicate availability for download off the eshop whereas the nintendo network logo is meant to indicate online functions. It's the difference between XBL:Marketplace and XBL.

edit: suddenly got a flash of a scene from Cabin in the Woods. "It's like the difference between an elephant and an elephant seal"

Yup, that's how it works.

And now I wanna rewatch Cabin in the Woods lol.

Darmik

This might be a stretch, but is it possible it will just be included on the WiiU version without a preorder? Similar to what they did with the PC version of Batman Arkham City? I can't remember how they marketed that one. I'm not getting my hopes up but I suppose it might be a possibility. Technically it's not DLC in that sense. The ad does say exclusive access for preorders though. But it would be a way to boost sales for the platform.

Thinking about it, this does seem to confirm that it won't be included with a standard PC purchase this time.

gogogow

But the eShop logo appears at the end of trailers or on promotional materials. The Nintendo Network logo only ever appears on box art.

vs.

or

Yeah, that must be it. Nintendo really have two separate terms, while MS and Sony just uses XBL and PSN logo's.

Tnetennba

I wish I could even pretend to be surprised if Wii U misses out. At least it's getting the game in the first place but I'd like to think that a complete and functional Batman might show up the console one day.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Having just bought AC on Wii U and loving the gamepad connectivity, I will get Origins on the Wii U for sure.

If this is just Nightwing/Robin Challenge room stuff then I don't care but if it is anything approaching Catwoman content then I will be upset (assuming Wii U is indeed the platform missing out because it is the platform I want this game on).

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
maybe Wii U will get exclusive Cassandra Cain DLC.

And the 360 never got the playable Joker in Asylum. Was there a shitstorm around that?

not "shitstorm" but I remember it was actually a big deal for people who wanted to get the game (also remember AA wasn't a hit yet and no one know the quality of the game when that got announced)

keakster

Coming from an interview with Joystiq ...

"On the subject of specific versions, Mattes also confirmed to us the Origins will have specific functionality on the Wii U, but he wasn't prepared to go into details.

"We're not talking about specific features but we're encouraging people to imagine," Mattes told us, "We obviously paid to attention to the Wii U platform and what sort of functionality makes sense for that platform."

We also asked him about whether or not the Wii U would receive the same DLC as other versions, given the speculation about the system possibly not receiving the Deathstroke content. Mattes told us WB Montreal is "not yet talking about" DLC and its relationship to the different platforms."

Source

Not surprising, but disappointing WB Montreal is not addressing this head on one way or another

Top Bottom