• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Chopper

Just finished the second lot of Trials. What a rush! That last guardian nearly wrecked me. I'm really nervous about the last lot. I've heard there are Lynels, Guardians and mounted enemies?! I mean... How?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My kids have been playing this game a ton. My 6 year old has just one Divine beast left. Amazing that the game can be so accessible and yet entertaining for so long.

I managed to sneak in a little time and finally got to eventide island. That was a lot of fun.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
My kids have been playing this game a ton. My 6 year old has just one Divine beast left. Amazing that the game can be so accessible and yet entertaining for so long.

I managed to sneak in a little time and finally got to eventide island. That was a lot of fun.

Imagine your kids 20 years from now. They'll be raving about the game much like our generation is raving about the first Zelda game. Imagine if BotW was what we'd had as kids. Man...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah. Although I feel very fortunate to have played Ocarina of Time on release.

I completed eventide island with all my beast powers and a ton of hearts. Would've been more fun if I wasn't so powerful.

error4041

It's kind of interesting how the series has shipped Link and Zelda more and more over the years, they were mostly platonic until Skyward Sword (I haven't played Twilight Princess if someone wants to correct me) but Skyward Sword heavily implied that they had feelings for each other, and BotW has a character that outright says that Zelda had affections for Link. hell, even "a Link Between Worlds" Zelda supposedly stared at pictures of the Legendary Hero

Why is Nintendo moving towards shipping them after 25-ish years of not really shipping the two characters? appealing to audiences, Aonuma wanting a bit more emotional connection between the two characters?

Alrus

I hadn't played the game in months due to time constraint and went back into it recently. It's still really amazing but I hit a massive roadblock during the Gerudo questline, the whole stealth part is just awful or there's something I'm not getting.

watershed

Banned
I hadn't played the game in months due to time constraint and went back into it recently. It's still really amazing but I hit a massive roadblock during the Gerudo questline, the whole stealth part is just awful or there's something I'm not getting.

It can be pretty fun if you use different abilities/options available to you. And either way, it is a pretty short stealth segment.

Chopper

I feel as though I did this part wrong, cos I see lots of people saying similar things. But I breezed through it in what felt like seconds. I just Stasis+ed everyone and ran through. I enjoyed the boss too.

Alrus

I feel as though I did this part wrong, cos I see lots of people saying similar things. But I breezed through it in what felt like seconds. I just Stasis+ed everyone and ran through. I enjoyed the boss too.

Huh, I never thought of using stasis, that's a great idea.

Macka

Had a great time at the Symphony of the Goddesses tonight!

Listening to it performed live made me realize how much I love Breath of the Wild's main theme. Had chills when that came on.

I will say though...I wish they played more full songs. They mostly performed medleys combining tracks from each game, and while that meant that they were able to pack a lot in, I think I would have preferred hearing the full pieces tbh. Ballad of the Goddess was very prominent in the Skyward Sword medley, but they jumped right into the height of the song and totally skipped over the harp at the beginning which was disappointing.

The Majora's Mask medley was way too upbeat as well. None of the creepy tracks made it in. Needed more Clock Tower and Song of Healing.

Does the pro controller improve the experience with this game over using the joycons grip?

Not for this game particularly but I find the layout a lot better than the joycons. L/R are much bigger, ZL/ZR feel like normal buttons instead of my fingers slipping, the right stick is easier to reach, both sticks are easier to click..

Yeah. Although I feel very fortunate to have played Ocarina of Time on release.

I completed eventide island with all my beast powers and a ton of hearts. Would've been more fun if I wasn't so powerful.

I just found eventide with 4 hearts, don't even know what a beast power is. I've died 3 times now haha. Cool challenge though.

-shadow-

Just finished the game a couple of minutes ago, ended up with all shrines, the four Divine Beasts and something around 530 Koroks found in just under 170 hours. The fight against Calami Ganon was amazing, and the artstyle was something else!

Wasn't a fan of Ganon though,
he never shot straight at me, but more like at 90° angles and more away from me.

Oh and I really wasn't ready to see Iwata again in the credits. This really was something else! 😍

Ashhong

Just finished the game, and a little underwhelmed at the ending. Is it intentionally short so as to tell the DLC? I thought it could have shown a bit more of the resolution or something, I don't know.

Is there anything left to do in the game other than shrine/korok hunt and maybe explore some things?

How do I see how much time I spent?

TheMoon

Just finished the game, and a little underwhelmed at the ending. Is it intentionally short so as to tell the DLC? I thought it could have shown a bit more of the resolution or something, I don't know.

Is there anything left to do in the game other than shrine/korok hunt and maybe explore some things?

How do I see how much time I spent?

It didn't need to show more than it did.

Look at your map screen.

Sorry if this dumb or already answered to death, but will I have access to all the optional side quests and still be able to complete them at my own pace *after* defeating all 4 Divine Beasts? Or should I take care of loose ends before beating the 4th?

kennah

Sorry if this dumb or already answered to death, but will I have access to all the optional side quests and still be able to complete them at my own pace *after* defeating all 4 Divine Beasts? Or should I take care of loose ends before beating the 4th?
You're good. Don't worry about it.

NSESN

Finally beat Ganon. It was way better than people said it would be, Hyrule castle was a good dungeon but it was too short imo.

Edit: Iwata is the last name in the credits, now I am sad

black070

I put a couple of hours into it on the Wii U soon after release and didn't feel it at all at the time, perhaps I wasn't in the right mindset or mood when playing. I've just started it up again on the Switch (my very first game for the console too), and I'm blown away - I can tell I'm in for a wild ride. :)

P.S. how the heck do you roll in combat ?
P.S.S. a few hours in and I still can't for the life of me get used to the controls.

TheMoon

I put a couple of hours into it on the Wii U soon after release and didn't feel it at all at the time, perhaps I wasn't in the right mindset or mood when playing. I've just started it up again on the Switch (my very first game for the console too), and I'm blown away - I can tell I'm in for a wild ride. :)

P.S. how the heck do you roll in combat ?
P.S.S. a few hours in and I still can't for the life of me get used to the controls.

there is no rolling in this game.

Ashhong

It didn't need to show more than it did.

Look at your map screen.

Eh, disagree. It just showed the people waving and it was over.

Finally beat Ganon. It was way better than people said it would be, Hyrule castle was a good dungeon but it was too short imo.

Hyrule was a dungeon? I guess I should go back and explore it. I think I swam up a few waterfalls and was suddenly at Ganon lol.

mernst23

Normal playthough will be 100% once I find 270 more seeds and 7 star fragments. I only had one set of extra armor from my smash bros amibo othetwise ive upgraded all ingame armors, finished all side quests and did dlc1 finally.

Master mode on the other hand I've barely scratched the surface. Maybe 15 shrines in and opened up 2 divine beasts but havent done them yet. The fact that I might get 350 to 400 hours out of this game not including dlc2 is incredible. I'm at about 170 now.

Darksim

I went to the botw subreddit to see if anyone had recently complained about master mode being anti-fun and instead found a post linking to this: https://vadnyl.tumblr.com/post/165075103289/major-discovery-botws-adventure-log-links/amp

I'm surprised nobody here seems to care, to my knowledge I'd say this is easily the worst thing NoA has done to a game. Hopefully someone translates all of them and then someone else mods the translations in.

But back on master mode being not fun, I just don't get what they were thinking. While enemies healing in what feels like a second after taking damage goes directly against the balance of your weapons being a finite resource, what really gets me is stronger enemies carrying weapons unable to inflict any significant damage to them. Black enemies with regular boko bats and spears? It strongly discourages actually fighting them, instead of being rewarded with a good weapon for doing so you get essentially nothing other than breaking multiple of your weapons for no reason. Given how easy it is to avoid fights it doesn't really make the game more difficult at all, just less fun. In a sense it removes part of the freedom that made the game so fun in the first place.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I went to the botw subreddit to see if anyone had recently complained about master mode being anti-fun and instead found a post linking to this: https://vadnyl.tumblr.com/post/165075103289/major-discovery-botws-adventure-log-links/amp

I'm surprised nobody here seems to care, to my knowledge I'd say this is easily the worst thing NoA has done to a game. Hopefully someone translates all of them and then someone else mods the translations in.

But back on master mode being not fun, I just don't get what they were thinking. While enemies healing in what feels like a second after taking damage goes directly against the balance of your weapons being a finite resource, what really gets me is stronger enemies carrying weapons unable to inflict any significant damage to them. Black enemies with regular boko bats and spears? It strongly discourages actually fighting them, instead of being rewarded with a good weapon for doing so you get essentially nothing other than breaking multiple of your weapons for no reason. Given how easy it is to avoid fights it doesn't really make the game more difficult at all, just less fun. In a sense it removes part of the freedom that made the game so fun in the first place.

Master Mode seems to be balanced for mid- and late-game, essentially it hits a good balance a bit before you get enough hearts for the Master Sword. They need to patch in better weapons early on though, you're right about early-game.

There was so much negitive feedback about the final boss that when you get there.... It's actually pretty great! I just don't like that damn shielding, it feels cheap but otherwise it feels pretty awesome.

chrixter

What a baffling change for NoA to make. Seems like an effective way to provide more characterization of Link while still keeping him (mostly) silent in dialogue.

NeoBob688

When connected to a 720p TV does the game output at 900p and downscale, or render internally at 720p?

I ask because on my 1080p Samsung the judder / frame pacing is awful, but much less noticeable on my 720p Haier. I am wondering why that is.

Darksim

People will care if you make a thread about it. That is honestly such a huge localization mistake.

But I'm a junior :| and at the rate I post I will likely continue to be one for a very, very long time lol. Someone should definitely make the thread though.

Master Mode seems to be balanced for mid- and late-game, essentially it hits a good balance a bit before you get enough hearts for the Master Sword. They need to patch in better weapons early on though, you're right about early-game.

Well, hopefully I get there pretty soon, this is my first cemu playthrough and the massive graphical/performance upgrade from wii u is more than enough to keep me going in spite of my lowered enjoyment.

When connected to a 720p TV does the game output at 900p and downscale, or render internally at 720p?

I ask because on my 1080p Samsung the judder / frame pacing is awful, but much less noticeable on my 720p Haier. I am wondering why that is.

I believe docked mode always renders at 900p (and 810p), either way the game never outputs badly paced frames, such is the magic of double buffer vsync when the fps isn't cutting to 20fps out of nowhere.

Durden77

Is it normal to clear out an enemy camp and get nothing? That seems to happen to me sometimes and it's...disheartening.

Just coming back to this game after about 30 hours. Still only have one divine beast (elephant). Have put in about 4 hours tonight. Game's so damn good still. Tried to head to Death Mountain, but I kept getting roasted alive, so now I'm heading west...

Nelo Ice

Banned
Have 50 hours and I haven't done a single divine beast lol. I've been doing like everything but the main quest stuff. I swear it's way too easy to get sidetracked in this game. I kept telling myself ok I'm gonna go get mats for this set or I'm gonna go start this side quest. 3 hours later I'm doing something completely different than what I was planning on doing lol.

Lilo_D

Have 50 hours and I haven't done a single divine beast lol. I've been doing like everything but the main quest stuff. I swear it's way too easy to get sidetracked in this game. I kept telling myself ok I'm gonna go get mats for this set or I'm gonna go start this side quest. 3 hours later I'm doing something completely different than what I was planning on doing lol.

Get sidetrack is the beauty of this game, you can clearly feel that your own curiosity drives you through the entire game

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Is it normal to clear out an enemy camp and get nothing? That seems to happen to me sometimes and it's...disheartening.

There may be another reason for the camp. There's one in Faron Grasslands, for example, where the top of the camp is the target for one of those Korok treestump runs on a nearby hill - and you won't make the run if the camp hasn't been cleared.

daviyoung

Banned
Argh, this fucking game. Been loving playing this on the train but just got the mandatory motion control marble madness shrine near the 2nd village. Fuck this fucking thing. Not only do the axis move, but the whole thing moves!

Twisting my body into someone sitting next to me is not the reason I bought a portable console. Fucks sake, looks like I'll have to take the hit on the spirit orb here.

TheMoon

Argh, this fucking game. Been loving playing this on the train but just got the mandatory motion control marble madness shrine near the 2nd village. Fuck this fucking thing. Not only do the axis move, but the whole thing moves!

Twisting my body into someone sitting next to me is not the reason I bought a portable console. Fucks sake, looks like I'll have to take the hit on the spirit orb here.

No idea where you are but 100% sure you're doing it wrong.

Top Bottom