• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Co-Op And "Galaxy At War" Detailed [Up: Video Interview/Detailing]

Derrick01 said:
It's not the same when every race is facing extinction. And these races are way smarter and knowledgeable than ancient indian tribes. As soon as Earth's attacked word would spread like wildfire across every system and they would stop fighting temporarily.

But none of the other races are under threat. Only humans in two where getting screwed over and suddenly all these galactice empires are going to drop everything because one human says so? A threat is coming that is completely unknown to these aliens and have yet to even become targets of these aliens races and they are all going to rally to fight?

I would wait to see what happens in three first but you seem to have made up your mind on it already.

The coop system sounds cool... it's just the whole "EFFECTS THE ENTIRE OUTCOME OF THE GAME" part really trips me. Especially knowing that they will make a complete crap Facebook game that will ADD points and such to your END GAME victory. That totally trivializes it and makes it feel more like a percentage and less of a turn of events.

It's like ACB's facebook game, which aided the Assassin World gameplay. But that was totally separate from the END of the game. Maybe if it was a small part of the game it affected it would be less painful. Like in SP Liara mentions, "_____ planet was saved due to some brave resistance". But not affecting the end game...

Derrick01

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
But none of the other races are under threat. Only humans in two where getting screwed over and suddenly all these galactice empires are going to drop everything because one human says so? A threat is coming that is completely unknown to these aliens and have yet to even become targets of these aliens races and they are all going to rally to fight?

I would wait to see what happens in three first but you seem to have made up your mind on it already.

Earth isn't the only planet being attacked. It's a galaxy wide simultaneous attack going from earlier press on the game. I believe it was even in the GI cover article.

Plus what if the player went the route of making humans control the council. Will they not listen or care if Earth is being destroyed? Will Bioware just completely ignore that too?

DatBreh

Banned
Derrick01 said:
Earth isn't the only planet being attacked. It's a galaxy wide simultaneous attack going from earlier press on the game. I believe it was even in the GI cover article.

Wait, so you are basing the inept writing on snippets you gathered from magazines? Jesus. How about we get the game in our hands and play through it before we start bashing anything about it.

rozay

Banned
BattleMonkey said:

They did put an emphasis on Earth in the marketing (not sure why, we'll have to wait and see how the game plays out) but you are battling reapers in places that aren't earth. They are all over the galaxy, an example being the krogan homeworld which we have video proof of.

I really hope the focus of their attack isn't just on Earth, that would be retarded. Not sure how this game will play out at all to be honest.

Derrick01

Banned
DatBreh said:
Wait, so you are basing the inept writing on snippets you gathered from magazines? Jesus. How about we get the game in our hands and play through it before we start bashing anything about it.

Well no not exactly. Their complete and utter fumbling of pretty much all the current storylines that took place up to ME2 is what I place most of the inept writing on. That and what has been revealed so far for 3.

Oh and "snippets" of a magazine article is different than a huge 1st blowout given by Bioware themselves. Anything that was reported in that magazine came from Bioware's mouth. Don't try to downplay everything I say just because I keep bringing up plot holes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Co-op missions could be fun, but I'm more concerned about Montreal's work on the Arrival DLC. That was their pet project, and it was a bit shit.

CrazyDude

rozay said:
They did put an emphasis on Earth in the marketing (not sure why, we'll have to wait and see how the game plays out) but you are battling reapers in places that aren't earth. They are all over the galaxy, an example being the krogan homeworld which we have video proof of.

I really hope the focus of their attack isn't just on Earth, that would be retarded. Not sure how this game will play out at all to be honest.
Apparently the Turian military evacuate their home world to one of their moons.

Rezbit

Galactic Readiness? Hahahahah.

I suppose 4p co-op is better than deathmatch. Not sure if want though. It goes from saying it does impact the single-player, to only impacting it if you want it to, to not impacting it? *shrug*

Kaizer

Banned
This sounds pretty cool in my book for the most part, besides the whole Galactic Readiness bar business, this has fin factor potential and won't significantly detract from SP.

rozay

Banned
EatChildren said:
Co-op missions could be fun, but I'm more concerned about Montreal's work on the Arrival DLC. That was their pet project, and it was a bit shit.
Would you happen to know/know where to find who worked on shadow broker and overlord?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EatChildren said:
Well, it is still being directed and managed from Edmonton.

edmontonn8q8.png

Valnen said:
Why? This doesn't effect single player at all. Less options is worse.
Because of the experience with games that suddenly got an additional multiplayer although it wasn't needed in the first place. Bioshock 2, Dead Space 2, Brotherhoods, MGS4, and many more and I, of course personally, don't think any of these examples has evolved in anything regarding the singleplayer campaign. In most cases the opposite happened, the singleplayer experience got worse, no matter if it was developed by a dedicated studio or not.

We'll see how it will turn out, but so far EAware ain't a company I trust anymore. Too many bad things happened with their once great franchises and by announcing a multiplayer I certainly won't purchase it day 1, mainly because I think Mass Effect is heading towards a direction I don't appreciate and for me multiplayer is just another one of the signs.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Mass Effect universe and I read all the books as well, because it is so well done with all the races and deep background story you normally won't realise when you just play the games. But I just have the feeling that I'd rather enjoy reading a book about the Mass Effect 3 story than playing the game.

Other thread got locked. Have they addressed the cover the Australian mag is using? Seriously, what is with that face?

I can't believe BioWare would let that out of the building. It is clearly a face pasted onto another face that wasn't even looking directly toward camera!

Tell me some rogue magazine artist mocked that up--its terrible.

You guys are reading too much into the realism of the unite the races shit. Dragon Age Origins used the exact same story mechanic. Just replace Reapers with the Blight and Arch Demon and it's the new Carth/Bioware story trope.

The 'optimal ending' thing troubles me a bit. Where are the hard Choices&Consequences?
Hopefully I can use a save game editor to fix my 'score' without Co-Op.

GSR said:
Wait, so the ending is determined literally by a "Galactic Readiness" stat?

I just... I just...

It occurs to me this also acts as an interesting form of DRM. Want to get the best ending easier? Have to have a new copy or an online pass.

What?

"it is still possible to achieve the optimal, complete ending of the game in Mass Effect 3 through single-player alone."

mozfan12

Banned
Sounds kinda neat. I love the ME series so I was gonna buy day one, this is just a bonus. Hopefully its a well done bonus.

You know, I kind of want to call BS on the notion that mp detracts from the SP experience. The only game I can think of is RE5 and the forced co-op. Uncharted 2 is among my favorite games this gen and I spent all of 20 minutes playing MP. Portal 2 is my GOTY and I haven't even touched co-op. I bought a PS3 for MGS4 and, the Konami code aside, never got into MP. AC Brotherhood's MP was kind of fresh, but it's not why I sunk so many hours into the SP.

GillianSeed79 said:
You know, I kind of want to call BS on the notion that mp detracts from the SP experience. The only game I can think of is RE5 and the forced co-op. Uncharted 2 is among my favorite games this gen and I spent all of 20 minutes playing MP. Portal 2 is my GOTY and I haven't even touched co-op. I bought a PS3 for MGS4 and, the Konami code aside, never got into MP. AC Brotherhood's MP was kind of fresh, but it's not why I sunk so many hours into the SP.
Yeah the games cited above as being "ruined" or "hindered" by the inclusion of MP are generally regarded as better than their predecessors.

DTKT

SilentProtagonist said:
Yeah the games cited above as being "ruined" or "hindered" by the inclusion of MP are generally regarded as better than their predecessors.

Are they better because they include MP or because they are better Singleplayer games?

GSR

Tallshortman said:
What?

"it is still possible to achieve the optimal, complete ending of the game in Mass Effect 3 through single-player alone."

Get the best ending easier. Not saying it can't be done in SP, just that for those without access to MP (eg. pirates and used buyers) it's more difficult to do so.

I kind of figured they'd be doing something like this.

The readiness thing. Some of the stuff they've been saying made me think it.

As for the multiplayer thing... I don't especially care. I won't play it so no skin off my back. Not like this is the first time they've had multiplayer in their games.

Well, I'll definitely reserve judgement until I play it. Could be decent.

I just hope they are putting everything they got into single player.

GillianSeed79 said:
This man speaks the truth.

DTKT said:
Are they better because they include MP or because they are better Singleplayer games?
Because they made a better single player game.
I'm speaking against someone who was implying that the inclusion of MP in certain franchises lowered the quality of the SP experience.
Do you know what we're talking about?

Somtaaw

Banned
GSR said:
Get the best ending easier. Not saying it can't be done in SP, just that for those without access to MP (eg. pirates and used buyers) it's more difficult to do so.

until some guy create a "readiness" editor to import to me3 single player.

Since they confirmed you can still get the optimal, best ending even if you totally ignore this element this seems entirely inoffensive to me.

DatBreh

Banned
Derrick01 said:
Well no not exactly. Their complete and utter fumbling of pretty much all the current storylines that took place up to ME2 is what I place most of the inept writing on. That and what has been revealed so far for 3.

Oh and "snippets" of a magazine article is different than a huge 1st blowout given by Bioware themselves. Anything that was reported in that magazine came from Bioware's mouth. Don't try to downplay everything I say just because I keep bringing up plot holes.

You havent brought up a single plot hole. Your big issue was the conflict between species and the overall war and i already dismissed it as bunk since i threw out numerous examples of that actually taking place in history. That is unless you consider human history a plot hole.

Sounds like they wrote themselves into a corner, and then decided to shoe in Co-op and yet again wrote themselves into another corner. That's great, because Mass Effect isn't an rpg or anything with a story and pacing that will get wonky with 4 players trying to play a very dialogue heavy game. I don't want to play this game in Co-Op...I'm a silver member. Oh, it's harder for me to get the best ending? Thanks bioware, appreciate it.

And the only game that threw in a co-op or versus gametype in a previously single player game that was any good was AC: Brotherhood, although the SP brought nothing to the table and was boring to me, it was a noble sacrifice cause the MP turned out pretty clever, not polished, but clever. Last year would have been a lesser year without it.

Bioshock 2 had crap MP that nobody liked and a ho hum SP.

Dead Space 2, while I thought it was creatively bankrupt, was praised for its SP but, again, nobody played the mp...yet another waste of resources. And yes, it is a waste of resources. Money, time, space and people were spent creating something nobody played and could have been spent making a better (more varied) SP. Full budget on SP of course would have resulted in a better SP.

RE5 - ...do i need to beat that horse cause it looks dead?

You know what helps development sometimes - confidence. A little confidence that the product doesn't need to be expanded because what you got is good, and will sell, and fuck em if that's not enough. You don't need that second throwaway studio to build something irrelevant on the side, and if you do want to hire a second studio, why don't they help with the main product at hand. Concentrate the effort. Make something that doesn't feel completely and minimally iterative but with another dumb mp mode attached to it.

I do not for the life of me understand why gamers don't value their time in the least. Anything, to them, is better than their time. A bad mode in an otherwise good game, fine. They'll gladly not enjoy themselves rather than just simply be done with a game that was otherwise enjoyable. A turd on your ice cream sundae? Yes please. That's more product for me for the same price! What a bargain, what a value!

I have yet to play a game in years where it was really really difficult to choose a mode to play because they were all so good. My standards are quite high in comparison to the average gamers out there, but that says it all. Even IW, who are probably the kings of over-doing it and making it seem easy, have bit their lip biting more than they can chew and trying to make their product as value-centric as possible.

But, as long as people ooo and ahhh when they hear about multiple modes of play, then multiple modes is what you'll get. Most gamers can't really tell the difference between something that's shoehorned and something that isn't, so more power (and by power I mean sales) to them I suppose.

GSR said:

Ah, gotcha. It will affect pirates definitely and possibly used buyers if they do the whole online pass thing again.

Hylian7

GillianSeed79 said:
The reason people say it "detracts" from the single player experience is because often too much development time is put over to it and not enough on the single player. For examples of this see the Call of Duty games over the last few years. Modern Warfare 2's campaign was what? Two hours?

In a game like Portal 2, it doesn't feel "tacked on" like it does in games like Dead Space 2. It actually was half the game, and complimented the single player campaign very well. Trying to do something like this in Mass Effect really sounds odd. I am still very skeptical of it myself, but we will see how it turns out.

Derrick01 said:
Oh I didn't know you were going to cheat and bring in japanese rpgs. Well ok in that case I would agree lol.

But for western rpgs it's easily the worst.

Is that goalpost heavy?

Do you need help lifting and moving it?

Mr_Zombie

Derrick01 said:
Like when they ask who do you want to send in the vents, and they remind you that you need someone good with tech, do you send Jacob...the biotic guy?

No, but you can send Thane. You know, he's good at crawling through vents.
EtEP4.png

Co-op is fine if it isn't necessary for SP. Still a bit sceptical though until I see some footage. I hope character classes are different enough to warrant some team play while not become a shooterfest.

Top Bottom