• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWF/WCW Attitude Era (1995-2001): Time to nostalgia over out favorite moments!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rezbit

Even though it was cheesy as fuck, so many of the wrestlers back then had charisma, and were able to sell it really well. They used to be able to do all those crazy moves that probably risked injury, too.

I remember watching one ep of Raw with my old man, when Vince McMahon was in the hospital, and then Stone Cold came in dressed as a doctor and attacked him with a bedpan. We were just in stitches. So good. EDIT: Here it is, hahaha. Still amazing.

Also that period of time of The Rock vs Mankind was amazing, they just had all these crazy title matches night after night. Think they even contested it on that crappy Heat show.

dabig2

You know who needs some love here?

Lita needs some love here

Went from being one of Godfather's hos to the one of the best in the women's division at its zenith. Hell, she should still be wrestling today if it wasn't for that slut-shaming storyline the WWE ran with.

Team Xtreme for life.

RBH

Didn't he come from WCW?

Yup.

scaled.php

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Pretty much anything involving Austin and the original NWO are amongst my favorite of favorites. I mean miss old WWF/WCW soooo bad. =/

Sonki.

Banned
This took place at the SkyDome in Toronto, Canada. It's kind of this weird thing, because he's not Canadian, but Hulk Hogan is absolutely loved and adored by the Canadian fans, in a similar fashion to Brett Hart.

I forget the video, but there was a time he made his entrance, and the show was in Canada, and the crowd went nuts clapping for him, from his entrance, all the way through the commercial break and beyond. I think it was like 9 minutes in total of non-stop adulation.

Canada loves Hulk Hogan.

Canada just loved heels man. They were a smarter crowd.. NO DOUBT.

Anth0ny

Canada just loved heels man. They were a smarter crowd.. NO DOUBT.

Yup, always fun to see smart crowds (Canada, NYC, Chicago). Even today they can make a show better (Money in the Bank 2011). Anyone remember the Calgary Stampede PPV in 1997? The Hart Foundation were the top heels in the company, and had a match against a bunch of baby faces (Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold and others). When Bret came out... good god. THUNDEROUS pop. While the babyfaces got booed out of the building. Incredible.

Wrestlemania x8 was the greatest live event I've ever attended in my life. I'll never forget the atmosphere of that Rock/Hogan match. The building was SHAKING for the entire match.

Riposte

Loved Jericho, Booker T, and Chris Benoit(which is kind of a horrible thing to say I guess). I think the fact they were sort of downplayed made me like them more.

Being live at those shows was amazing as well. I remember being at the Monday Night Raw that had Jericho and Benoit def Austin and Triple H for the Tag Team titles, and it was nuts. One of my fondest memories of my childhood was going to that show.

GloveSlap

WWF really should've let Jericho keep the title instead of give it back to HHH:

Full 15 min including opening tirade against Steph/HHH - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Su_XnbpDM&hd=1

You don't see a crowd pop at the end like that anymore.

Yeah, this was one of my favorite wrestling moments ever. I was a huge Jericho fan from the moment he turned heel in WCW. I flipped out as much as that crowd did when that 3 count dropped, I was literally jumping up and down in my room cheering.

Luixfern

I completely checked out once they had Lita and Edge have "sex" on the ring... so stupid. but maaaan WCW Nitro and Thunder along with Raw... damn the 90's were awesome.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
The more I see clips of 1997 WWF/WCW/ECW the more I have to agree with the others that it was the best year.

Funny thing, WWF was TV-PG in 1997 until around late May/early June 1998.

Yes, back then, Stone Cold flipping the bird, Bret Hart screaming "Bullshit" uncensored, Shawn Michaels humping the Canadian flag, Everybody calling Goldust a f****t and other family friendly moments were rated TV-PG. Hell, there's probably a lot of things in 96-97 that I don't think would fly even in the later years of the era when the product was TV-14.

But they had different sponsors back then too which is probably why the PG product today is more tame.

I'm so envious of all you who went to the live shows back then. :( Those things were almost always on a school night so my 8-12 year old self wasn't allowed to go. :(

Oh, and I'm still pretty pissed that anything with the scratch logo or when anyone says "WWF" is censored now. I find it pretty distracting when I watch old clips with all that censorship.

I'd rather leave the memories aloooooone.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Fuck I miss Gangrel and The Brood. Best entrance ever. Corporate Ministry entrance was so damn good as well. And I miss Shane McMahon being on TV... his arrogance and his little dance were fantastic, lol. I'm also extremely pleased that someone else mentioned Disco Inferno in this thread, haha... I loved him as a kid; I was so happy when they let him in NWO.

I just miss "characters" in general. Seems like everyone has to be so normal these days; I want characters that are more than just a typical person coming out to fight. You'd essentially never see someone like Kane introduced these days... larger than life (yeah I liked Boogeyman, deal with it) with a significant back story. Another thing that seems like it changed over time is there used to be way more important title matches that took place on the weekly shows and not just on PVPs.

Also, I've been trying for years to find a certain clip of Mankind from Monday Night Raw... the only thing I remember about it was it was back when he was using his creepy music in his more demented heel time... he came out with a stretcher and went rolling down the ramp on it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

For those interested, here's a list of the "wrestling-related" titles on Netflix right now:
Bret Hart: Wrestling with Shadows - The 1998 documentary on Bret Hart and Montreal.
Shawn Michaels: Heartbreak & Triumph - WWE look at HBK.

I watched those two videos back to back a few days. First Brets video, with a 3rd party camera crew documenting what happened & then Shawns video, with the abridged "rebuttal" of what happened.
Vince McMahon & Triple H are complete scumbags who will screw people over in real life & Bret was one of the most honest guys in the business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom