• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 DirectX11 Tessellation Pack/High Res Texture Pack [Update: released]

knitoe

DennisK4 said:
Your red x's have convinced me.
Weird, I can see them in firefox, but not IE. I'll try another host.

crysis2a.jpg

crysis2bx.jpg

crysis2c.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
scitek said:
Turning "Object" down to Extreme from Ultra more than doubles my framerate.
Oh wow. Didn't realize that. I'll definitely try that out.

scitek said:
I...get single digit framerates on the level with the Statue of Liberty's head. Whatever it's called. 6950 here
6950 here too. I don't have the DLC so I can't speak for that map, though.

Did you set Tessellation to application controlled in CCC?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
DennisK4 said:
I would love if someone could post screenshots of the area below with DX11, High Res textures and Max settings.

Mine are just DX9 but I loved the look of that area and would love to see it with Advanced Tone Mapping etc.

crysis22011-06-2900-36pu2v.png

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
scitek said:
Correction, it turns off both tessellation AND POM. POM I'd like to keep on. Why they're lumped together I don't know.
Well shit. That's bullshit.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
my setup:

Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 960(3.20GHz,4.8GT/s,8MB)
12GB 1333MHz (3x4GB) Tri Channel Memory
Dual 2GB ATI® Radeon™ HD 5970 graphics card

I have DX11 enable and the High Textures and everything set to ultra, and my resolution is 1920x1200.

It slightly stammers for about 15-20 seconds then runs quite smooth, but I have yet to play of the bigger battles with the update yet.

Yeah and POM really couldn't be the cause for the huge slowdown, it's probably much better optiized than in Crysis 1 where it wasn't that heavy to begin with.

Dennis

Banned
Thanks for the pic subversus.

Can't say I am too impressed with the tessellation effect. The other new features are more interesting to me.

Its funny, tessellation seems to hold such potential but I have yet to see some really great use in an actual game.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Realtime local reflections makes me so hot. I've hated cubemaps with a burning passion since HL2.

knitoe

Wow, I didn't just realized Ultra > Extreme. Reran the opening submarine and getting mostly 60fps with dip to low 40fps.

subversus

I accidentally recorded 2 min gameplay on all ultra while I was mashing screenshot button, I'm uploading it now, so you all will be able to judge if it is playable on 6950 in current state.

My verdict - it's playable (30 fps average), but some places drop perfomance to 15-20, so it's better to wait for AMD patch.

Haven't had the chance to get 1.9 yet, any links for Steam users?

And I don't mean to complain but...the tesselation I've seen in these screens so far look terrible. Especially some of the bigger bricks and store tile floor. It needs to be a whee bit more subtle than that.

Reflections should be great, though!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
subversus said:
I accidentally recorded 2 min gameplay on all ultra while I was mashing screenshot button, I'm uploading it now, so you all will be able to judge if it is playable on 6950 in current state.

My verdict - it's playable (30 fps average), but some places drop perfomance to 15-20, so it's better to wait for AMD patch.

keep in mind that, wherever it was posted in this thread, that crytek themselves state a gtx 480 nets you on avg 35 fps with those settings.

DennisK4 said:
Its funny, tessellation seems to hold such potential but I have yet to see some really great use in an actual game.

Would I be killed for thinking next gen consoles might make better use of it? As long as it's an optional effect and not one you can design a game around, it's going to be limited in what it can be used for.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Graphics Horse said:
Would I be killed for thinking next gen consoles might make better use of it? As long as it's an optional effect and not one you can design a game around, it's going to be limited in what it can be used for.

Killed? Nah, consoles wont be spending performance on "out there" tech that can't be explained in a 1 sentence + pie chart e3 pp slide.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DennisK4 said:

Can't say I am too impressed with the tessellation effect. The other new features are more interesting to me.

Its really mixed. At times it adds a lot to the IQ, such as on bricks, and its helped improve the water rendering a ton.

But at other times it looks a bit buggy and 'forced', as if it were rushed or slapped on. There's a couple of things I've spotted that I've felt tessellation wasn't necessary at all.

Thats just tessellation though. A game built from the ground up to make use of tessellation where appropriate will use it best. Deus Ex: Human Revolution uses it sparingly, but it does improve the smoothness on character models quite noticably.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
Like nearly all PC originated graphical techniques, tesselation won't be properly used until the next gen consoles are out.

subversus

Corky said:
keep in mind that, wherever it was posted in this thread, that crytek themselves state a gtx 480 nets you on avg 35 fps with those settings.

my card is from 6xxx gen, so it should be compared to 5xx series.

NBtoaster

The new contact shadows have made the game quite dark.

It's nice to see console commands function again, and this time you can toggle them in game (eg postMSAA, SSAO etc). What's the command for contact shadows?

Real time reflections don't seem to have affected every pool of water.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Also, player turning motion blur set to high is the worst effect in the history of Crysis effects. Its so overdone. I actually feel nauseous with it at maximum, and I dont think I've ever fault nauseous from a videogame in my life. The shitty stock FOV doesn't help matters.

subversus

I also noticed that physics were improved somehow. May be it's just me but there's more destructability now. Might be placebo effect though.

Deadbeat

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
Do you not remember the use of HDR at the beginning of this generation? How about Motion blur?

Special J

Banned
DennisK4 said:

its because artists dont think in terms of tessellation they just create poly assets. to make full use of tessellation you essentially need a high level engineer with high level artistry so no not going to happen. the best tesselation will do is provide smoother LOD transitions.

EatChildren

subversus said:
I also noticed that physics were improved somehow. May be it's just me but there's more destructability now. Might be placebo effect though.

Im guessing a placebo from the new particle effects, which are amazing. It really feels like you're ripping stuff apart.

Mr_Brit said:
Like nearly all PC originated graphical techniques, tesselation won't be properly used until the next gen consoles are out.
Notsureifserious.

What about SSAO, POM, DoF, object motion blur etc which have been used to great effect for a few years now.

I haven't noticed the RLR, but I am close to the end of the game on my 2nd playthrough, not noticed anything using it.

Does the water use the RLR? Cause that still looks cubemapped to me.

subversus

SneakyStephan said:
Notsureifserious.

What about SSAO, POM, DoF, object motion blur etc which have been used to great effect for a few years now.

tesselation won't be used until next-gen anyway.

pestul

dwebo said:
Uhh... what the hell is going on with that building?
Very poorly implemented tessellation. Pathetic too, because that is taking from performance.. seriously, brick-work today doesn't need tessellation that aggressive. We're not in the friggin' 13th century.

DennisK4, I have a question for you.

You don't have that grain filter in your game. HOW? HOOOOW! I've tried some 10 Cvars and I'm still stuck with it. And specially in that post where someone quotes your pic and posts one of his own in the exact same spot, I can just see it there sort of ruining the image. I've wanted to turn it off ever since this game come out. How'd you disable it?

Edit: Those 3774 commands don't include POM and contact shdows urely, they're pre 1.9

subversus

pestul said:
Very poorly implemented tessellation. Pathetic too, because that is taking from performance.. seriously, brick-work today doesn't need tessellation that aggressive. We're not in the friggin' 13th century.

I'm not sure if high-res textures are on on these pics.

Top Bottom