• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT7| A Great Trash Leader as Always

llehuty

S*Tory
kpop-a-story-girls-profile-members-2017-debut-1.jpg
Notes: Gaeul was in Produce 101 (final ranking, 52), Go Ara (not that one) was in Kpop Star 6.
Youtube channel
So, the group will end up being called "Favorite (페이버릿)" (good luck finding anything about them without searching in hangul).

[Teaser] Favorite (페이버릿) - Party Time #01

They have already been performing some songs that will be included in their debut mini.
FAVORITE 페이버릿[4K 직캠]MY DAY & HELLO@170602
My day is kind of cool and Hello is the classic cutesy debut song.

Group seems like the whole package, to be honest. The title track sound promising from the teaser.

Loci

Bowlie

Banned
The same goes for Mamamoo, the song basically doesn't even show much of their talents, they likely have many songs that are better, but in the end this song is becoming incredibly succesful on the charts. Unfortunately, it's clear that musically the direction compared to something like 5 years ago seems to be more standardized, I don't see any group going for the Kara or 4Minute sound. Personally I would like both Apink and Mamamoo to continue in the other (less popular?) directions but let's not kid ourself, the public dictate what is the musical direction.

No one here said anything beyond "it's forgettable" about Mamamoo's release, and we never discussed its commercial success either. Beyond that, both You're the Best and Decalcomanie were more successful than Um Oh Ah Yeah (way more traditional than the two aforementioned), there was no need to play safe when the fans like them for their particular kind of output.

I also disagree that groups are doing the same over and over. Yezi, K.A.R.D, EXID and Dreamcatcher showed this year that there are still plenty of rad, interesting stuff to be found in kpop. Though Elris is generic, Kim Sohee showed a different side of hers in her solo release. Same for Loona and Kim Lip, in my opinion. Even GFriend tried new instruments in their last album!

mr_chun

New BoA video and choreo is awesome. The song is okay.

Apink is still doing the same thing that they've been doing for six years. I love that band, one of the first that I encountered when I started listening to K-pop. But man, I wish they had evolved a little bit. The music hasn't matured as they have. Song is fine, but it would be indistinguishable from their old material on a playlist.

Hate to say it but Singing in the Rain has been stuck in my head all day versus all the other releases today.

That chorus is seriously 🔥🔥🔥.

Cuddler

Forgot to post this, someone actually released a song about...Pogba?
탐쓴 (TOMSSON) - Pogba
Song sound nice, I actually have no idea what the lyrics of the song are saying but it's nice to see him wearing a Juventus shirt, lol.

I remember someone posting about Walwari before but they released a new song:
[HOT] WALWARI - DDANG DDANG DDANG, 왈와리 - 땡땡땡 Show Music core 20170610
Fun song, I like it more than Hakuna Matata and also Mr Boombox expressions are amazing in every performance. He's actually a great beatboxer.
왈와리(WALWARI) Mr. BOOMBOX - Radiohead 'Creep' COVER
Well, this is unexpected and pretty good.

While I agree that it might be an overreaction for people wanting a new sound from A-Pink, my problem is that, like BlackPink's song, this probably should've come out 4-5 years ago as a b-side.

If it sounded as good as Luv, NoNoNo, and BuBibu then I probably wouldn't be complaining. But it sounds nothing like those tracks at all. Rather it's a pale imitation of those tracks instead.

More importantly, A-Pink doesn't need to become a mature group to evolve their sound. IMO GFriend is exactly what A-Pink should've been 2-3 years ago but of course that ship has sailed since GF is ridiculously dominant, A-Pink would be mere copycats if they tried to follow that path.
I can agree with you that the new song isn't as strong as the old ones, I don't think it's easy to find always songs of that caliber. It's true that they don't have to become a mature group to evolve their sound, but since llehuty also said something about their concept I answered about that. To me Only U was a good direction for them both musically and conceptually, but if the public doesn't answer well to the change it's difficult to continue down that path. GF are still evolving their sound and Apink still have time to change too if they want to try something different again.
No one here said anything beyond "it's forgettable" about Mamamoo's release, and we never discussed its commercial success either. Beyond that, both You're the Best and Decalcomanie were more successful than Um Oh Ah Yeah (way more traditional than the two aforementioned), there was no need to play safe when the fans like them for their particular kind of output.

I also disagree that groups are doing the same over and over. Yezi, K.A.R.D, EXID and Dreamcatcher showed this year that there are still plenty of rad, interesting stuff to be found in kpop. Though Elris is generic, Kim Sohee showed a different side of hers in her solo release. Same for Loona and Kim Lip, in my opinion. Even GFriend tried new instruments in their last album!
Someone asked why Mamamoo would change when this sound works for them in the charts and fans like it and I was talking about that. Um Oh Ah Yeah was the song that helped them become more popular, Piano Man didn't work as well, Mr Ambitious didn't work as well, etc. It's nothing bad really, I personally thinks it works well for them to release more popular songs as title tracks and leave the more "interesting" songs in the album. Mamamoo is still a relatively new group to success, so it still made sense sometimes for them to "playing it safe". I didn't want to say that groups are doing the same over and over again, I'm not really an expert so you guys knows things better than me, but I just wanted to say that to me it seems it's becoming more difficult to become successfull using different concepts, of course some groups are trying, and I think it's great. What I said it's also not taking in consideration that the majority of time the music side of things it's not the most important part in becoming successfull and tv shows are becoming much more importants to get recognized. I definitely agree with you that there are still many interesting release in Kpop.
See Walwari as an example :p

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Someone REALLY had a problem with A Pink and made a bomb threat against their showcase.

llehuty

Gfriend comeback in July. I wonder if this will affect SNSDs August chart performance.

Really dark sound they went for. While I like the idea of making the song unsettling, I think they went a bit over board with it. The droning synth sound does a good work setting the mood during the verses, but it drags down the chorus. The "release" during the bridge is quite neat. Overall, a really interesting song.

Really strong week of releases so far.

Boss Mog

Gfriend comeback in July. I wonder if this will affect SNSDs August chart performance.
Red Velvet in July too.

Man I could always count on Stellar to have a good song but not this time it seems, so sad...

[SHANNON] "눈물이 흘러 (feat.Lil Boi)" 뮤직비디오
This, on the other hand, I really enjoyed, shes a really talented girl, such a shame she's stuck at MBK.

BoA - CAMO
SO GOOD. I love the song. And on top of that, that dancing, that presence, the visuals... The wall nobody can climb over. (Ready for it flopping on the charts for not playing it safe or not being the hot new thing)

This is great, yet koreans are sleeping on it and SM wont promote it, sad.

Not if their new release charts like Fingertip.

roaSone

Singing in the rain is fire!
(No pun intended)
Heize's so good aswell, I believe the link I posted previously is down, I can't edit it now, a good soul can post it again if you willing to.
Boa is just epic as always, hopefully its a pre-release of a long waited 9th album.

Bowlie

Banned
Is Sephiroth a thing outside of FF7 or is someone over there a fan?

It's from Kabbalah, but :D

---

Someone asked why Mamamoo would change when this sound works for them in the charts and fans like it and I was talking about that. Um Oh Ah Yeah was the song that helped them become more popular, Piano Man didn't work as well, Mr Ambitious didn't work as well, etc. It's nothing bad really, I personally thinks it works well for them to release more popular songs as title tracks and leave the more "interesting" songs in the album. Mamamoo is still a relatively new group to success, so it still made sense sometimes for them to "playing it safe".

Whoops, missed that; sorry. Yeah, I agree with you: though they didn't need to play safe, more traditional songs *work* for popularity. And their B sides are almost always more my thing than the singles. These new fans can now go back and listen to Funky Boy in the Melting album, great song :pP

I didn't want to say that groups are doing the same over and over again, I'm not really an expert so you guys knows things better than me, but I just wanted to say that to me it seems it's becoming more difficult to become successfull using different concepts, of course some groups are trying, and I think it's great. What I said it's also not taking in consideration that the majority of time the music side of things it's not the most important part in becoming successfull and tv shows are becoming much more importants to get recognized. I definitely agree with you that there are still many interesting release in Kpop.
See Walwari as an example :p

I see that almost every time with nugus. My hope is that by the time they grow enough, they have fostered a fanbase that would allow them to do something different from the usual, but sometimes that's not the case...

what the hell is Walwari, lmaoooo. This is so funny, it's like Koyote turned up to eleven. It's way different from 2BiC, the last thing you introduced me to :D

llehuty

Girl group debut!
[MV] RAMISU(라미슈) Oh! Boy(오! 보이)
The chorus is super Perfume-y, I like it. Of course, it's kpop, so there is also a rap break nobody asked for. A cute summery track, which got me thinking, aren't we are getting less summery songs than usual this year?

Fantagio i-Teen Girls dance cover of Missy Elliot - WTF (Where They From)
I'm in for this group being in the same wavelength as Pristin. BTW, why no Pristin comeback?

Orange Caramel Hah! 10 hours
milkham so precious.

8 stops kpop tour hitting 8 cities in North America, artist(s?) not announced yet.

[Preview] Favorite (페이버릿) 1st Mini Album _ My Favorite

Really looking forward to this. My Day definitely sounds the best, but the rest all sound like they'll be varying degrees of good.

I was expecting something else from the title track after the teaser :/

Boss Mog

Please don't bait and switch to a cute debut.

If they make Yoojung do a cute debut I'll never forgive them.

So nobody commented on the new Shannon track I posted, do you guys not like her or something? I admit I never followed her that closely but I really liked this new song.

New songs? I haven't listened to Heize, BoA is good, Apink is... yea... and Stellar is underwhelming.

I'm all for them trying new directions musically or otherwise, but after a run of solid singles I don't like the 'Sephiroth' song or the execution of the video. The video doesn't work for me at all, really. Also, I'd like for Stellar to do something other than constant 24/7 sexy concept releases. Dreamcatcher's dark turn feels less heavy-handed is better in essentially every way.

JinSoul is good, though I like the feel of Kim Lip's single more.

LOONA TV #143

That red haired next to Kim Lip... that can't be the July girl right?

Seems like it's too early for her tease.
I posted a Loona video which had Kim Lip and JinSoul in it with both of their faces blurred. IIRC, this was before Vivi's solo M/V was released.

Boss★Moogle;242009517 said:
If they make Yoojung do a cute debut I'll never forgive them.
I still have no faith in Fantagio.
Been a major Yoojung fan the past few years. She's easily one of the most effortlessly entertaining, talented, versatile and interesting K-Pop idols to come out ever. All this while only being ~16 years old or so. She has a bright future doing music, variety, acting, etc.

I love Dahyun and was/am a big SNSD Sunny fan, but Yoojung would beat Dahyun in a "Next Sunny" competition
while outshining both in a few ways.

Like the constant "Next Hyori" polls you always see.

Boss★Moogle;242009517 said:
So nobody commented on the new Shannon track I posted, do you guys not like her or something? I admit I never followed her that closely but I really liked this new song.
Short answer: Shannon is boring.

Not short: Shannon has a solid enough voice, yet I don't remember ever finding anything interesting about her as an individual or musically.

Apink are great girls who've increasingly been releasing uninteresting music. Lim Kim has released a handful of very good songs in her catalogue, while being generally forgettable outside of that. It happens.

Shannon's dullness isn't unique to her, but it was made worse when she went head-first into a dumpster with questionable acts, like this:

Viewers are unimpressed at Shannon's racist, homophobic, and insensitive words during her 'V' app
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ds-during-her-v-app+&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Source is AKP, who I'd rather not link to, so the cached page will do.

·feist·;242016207 said:
I posted a Loona video which had Kim Lip and JinSoul in it with both of their faces blurred. IIRC, this was before Vivi's solo M/V was released.

Do you happen to know which one?

The only one I remember is Prequel 6 but watching that now, I'm not sure if that's JinSoul on the left(hair looks different, no braids and she had them already as of Loona 1/3). The one on the right is definitely Kim Lip though.

Anyway, getting back to the main topic at hand... I'm pretty sure the redhead is July girl. On the latest LoonaTV(144) she doesn't put herself out of the shots with KL and JS whereas JS was trying to avoid the camera as much as possible when 1/3 was in Hong Kong.

Man, if July girl is truly a redhead and drops a combo of Eclipse and Singing in the Rain... lawwwd I don't know what I'd do with myself lol.

Some info on Epik High's next album:

- Album is titled 'We've Done Something Wonderful'
- Will be released this Autumn/Fall
- The album's style will be "melancholic and sad"
- The album will be relatable for people in their 30s/40s
- But the album may also reach some in their 20s
- Part of the album was recorded overseas

*Courtesy of @icaruswalksnet

Boss Mog

·feist·;242016207 said:
I still have no faith in Fantagio.
Been a major Yoojung fan the past few years. She's easily one of the most effortlessly entertaining, talented, versatile and interesting K-Pop idols to come out ever. All this while only being ~16 years old or so. She has a bright future doing music, variety, acting, etc.

I love Dahyun and was/am a big SNSD Sunny fan, but Yoojung would beat Dahyun in a "Next Sunny" competition
while outshining both in a few ways.

I totally agree, Yoojung is super talented and a super human being, I want nothing but good things for her. I was cheering for her the most during Produce 101 She's actually gonna be 18 in a few months, time flies.

·feist·;242016207 said:
Short answer: Shannon is boring.

Not short: Shannon has a solid enough voice, yet I don't remember ever finding anything interesting about her as an individual or musically.

Apink are great girls who've increasingly been releasing uninteresting music. Lim Kim has released a handful of very good songs in her catalogue, while being generally forgettable outside of that. It happens.

Shannon's dullness isn't unique to her, but it was made worse when she went head-first into a dumpster with questionable acts, like this:

Viewers are unimpressed at Shannon's racist, homophobic, and insensitive words during her 'V' app
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ds-during-her-v-app+&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Source is AKP, who I'd rather not link to, so the cached page will do.

Ah okay, I didn't know about any of that. I guess that explains it then, my bad, thanks for letting me know.

llehuty

Dating spoiled if you don't feel like having a heartbreak today.

Best Sojin
(Girl's Day) and Eddy Kim are in a relationship (confirmed by Dream T)

Bora
(former SISTAR) and FeelDog (Big Star) revealed to have been dating for 1 year

TWICE Japan Debut Album 2nd place at Oricon chart after first day total sale of 46,871. to put it in perspective, this is in line with the numbers SNSD and KARA were pulling back in 2011 (when the hallyu wave was at its peak). Quite a feat considering there aren't any new tracks on it and the state of kpop acts in japanese market.

WANNA-ONE's fan cafe reaches 100k members in 2 days. Currently they are the #11 kpop boy group in terms of fan cafe members. This group is going to dominate the next year.

6/7 members of Infinite have renewed contracts with Woollim, 7th still in discussion.

Edit: BoA blessing the new page
tumblr_os6oj0T6ht1w50cqko4_500.gif

Top Bottom