• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Ivy Bridge Reviews & Info — CPUs, Motherboards, Sandy Bridge Compatibility

Oxn

So i dont want to read through 20 reviews.

Can someone answer this for me?

Does Ivy bridge run hotter? Does it use more power?

Im fine with the same performance as a 2500k, and cant overclock as high but if the above 2 questions are a YES, then i will pass.

papercut

I'm trying to decide between the 3570K and the 2500K. I would prefer to get the IB chip. My goal is to OC as high as possible using a Hyper 212 EVO so as to run Dolphin well.

I know what 4.5ghz using an air cooler seems to be the norm with a 2500K, so my question is what kind of OC I can expect with air cooling using a 3570K? Increasing the voltage on IB doesn't appear to be a good idea. Will I be able to at least hit 4.4ghz without the need for exotic cooling? Thanks.

MrBig

I'm trying to decide between the 3570K and the 2500K. I would prefer to get the IB chip. My goal is to OC as high as possible using a Hyper 212 EVO so as to run Dolphin well.

I know what 4.5ghz using an air cooler seems to be the norm with a 2500K, so my question is what kind of OC I can expect with air cooling using a 3570K? Increasing the voltage on IB doesn't appear to be a good idea. Will I be able to at least hit 4.4ghz without the need for exotic cooling? Thanks.

You should be able to get to 4.4 on the 3570K with manageable heat/power and thus get better performance at the 2500K's standard 4.5ghz oc.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Mr Swine

Banned
Silly question, does Ivy Bridge run cooler on stock speeds than Sandy Bridge does? I know its clocked 100mhz faster than the equal Sandy Bridge CPU. I ordered my i5-3570k so it should arrive this Friday :)

DrFurbs

Sorry Gaf but this is beyond me. In layman's terms, what does Ivy-Bridge mean for me and why should I care?

God I need to keep up with technology. I understand as we progress things get better tho :p

1-D_FTW

Sorry Gaf but this is beyond me. In layman's terms, what does Ivy-Bridge mean for me and why should I care?

God I need to keep up with technology. I understand as we progress things get better tho :p

In layman's terms, it's Intel's latest processor. What does it mean? Increased graphics if you're using a laptop or integrated graphics. Increased profits for Intel since it's a smaller process and they can manufacture more for less. For everyone else? No much. It's basically identical to Sandy Bridge. Still the best CPU on the market, but not really any better than the previous model.

In layman's terms, it's Intel's latest processor. What does it mean? Increased graphics if you're using a laptop or integrated graphics. Increased profits for Intel since it's a smaller process and they can manufacture more for less. For everyone else? No much. It's basically identical to Sandy Bridge. Still the best CPU on the market, but not really any better than the previous model.

I'm excited about the power savings in the mobile space, personally.

Damn I missed that.... Rush ordering at 5am...

Worth ordering the 1600 and just sending back the 1066 when it arrives?

I personally would want the 1600. It's only $10 more, and I think most people you see with Ivy Bridge builds are going to be running at least 1600.

But if you don't want to deal with sending it back, try pestering people here and in the "I Need a New PC!" thread until you find out what difference it will make. I've seen other people argue faster RAM these days isn't good for anything (except better numbers in benchmarks). I don't know if you would notice a big real-world increase in performance. Depending on what you do with your 3770k, I don't know if there would be bandwidth issues or such with lower frequency RAM. I'm not as knowledgeable in the subject as I would like to be.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I personally would want the 1600. It's only $10 more, and I think most people you see with Ivy Bridge builds are going to be running at least 1600.

But if you don't want to deal with sending it back, try pestering people here and in the "I Need a New PC!" thread until you find out what difference it will make. I've seen other people argue faster RAM these days isn't good for anything (except better numbers in benchmarks). I don't know if you would notice a big real-world increase in performance. Depending on what you do with your 3770k, I don't know if there would be bandwidth issues or such with lower frequency RAM. I'm not as knowledgeable in the subject as I would like to be.

I went ahead and ordered the 1600, I will send the 1066 back when it arrives.

I have never returned anything via newegg, how smooth is the process?

to expound on that a little, you're looking at basically a 5% increase in raw power going from Sandy Bridge->Ivy Bridge. sometime a bit more, some times a bit less, but Ivy Bridge is basically Intel just shrinking Sandy Bridge down to 22nm. next in line is Haswell (codename,) which is more than just a lithographic shrink; an actual new architecture which should bring some real performance benefits.

but that's sometime in 2013. so for now you can feel good going with either of the "Bridges."

Damn my C2D 8400 @ 3.9 is really, really starting to show its age. I can't really enjoy BF3 among other things.

How much of a "real world" performance increase I would see from going to 3770k clocked at 4.2 (I always have shitty luck with o/c)

Basically every 2-3 years I buy best bang for the buck overclocker and stick with it. Oh and I only use CPU for games so no other stuff or benches are necessary :)

to expound on that a little, you're looking at basically a 5% increase in raw power going from Sandy Bridge->Ivy Bridge. sometime a bit more, some times a bit less, but Ivy Bridge is basically Intel just shrinking Sandy Bridge down to 22nm. next in line is Haswell (codename,) which is more than just a lithographic shrink; an actual new architecture which should bring some real performance benefits.

but that's sometime in 2013. so for now you can feel good going with either of the "Bridges."

It's also the first chip with native USB 3.0, as well as PCI-E 3.0, FWIW.

I was right after all.

Dangit. Now I'm looking forward to hearing what may come of Haswell.

I just hope Apple announces their new Mac lineup soon. Real soon.

I have a question for you all.

My old mobo which had E6600 cpu and a 9800GTX GPU on it. Will it support GTX680 and the new intel cpu? I think its i5 I'm looking at, 2550k or something like that

Will those work on the mobo or will I need a new one?

Benhur

I am very close to pulling the trigger on a 3770k. Back in 2007 I got a Q6600 and unlike any other rig I had before, it lasted me almost five years. I'm really going to miss my Q6600, but this thread has given me the confidence to take the plunge on the 3770k.

ParityBit

My 3770k just shipped today, should have it tomorrow! Last piece to my new Gaming rig. Then starts the stress of building the whole thing!

kennah

I was going to upgrade my Q6600 but after a day of overclocking and benchmarks I discovered that the bottleneck in my system is my 6850. Most games I play come from the Steam christmas sale anyway so I should be good for another year.

Sigh

You have to have Ivy Bridge AND Z77 for native support.

Not according to Asus or Intel.

Expansion Slots:

2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8, red) *2
1 x PCIe 2.0 x4 (black)
1 x mini-PCIe 2.0 x1 *3

Note: *2: PCIe3.0 speed is supported by Intel® 3rd generation Core™ Processors.

USB Ports Intel® Z77 chipset :

4 x USB 3.0 port(s) (2 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board)
Intel® Z77 chipset :
8 x USB 2.0 port(s) (4 at back panel, black+white, 4 at mid-board)
ASMedia® USB 3.0 controller :
2 x USB 3.0 port(s) (2 at back panel, blue)

nOaET.jpg

muu

I went ahead and ordered the 1600, I will send the 1066 back when it arrives.

I have never returned anything via newegg, how smooth is the process?

if you haven't received it yet, refuse the package. I would definitely talk to the Egg and double check on it, but most likely their policy is similar to Amazon's, and if the customer never received the package they likely will at least be able to waive the restocking fee.

Any suggestions for Z77 mobos? Been looking through IB stuff, if I do end up getting Diablo3 I might as well make an excuse out of it to get new hardware (even if what I have now can capably run the game @ mid settings on 1920x1080...).

Hawk269

My 3770k just shipped today, should have it tomorrow! Last piece to my new Gaming rig. Then starts the stress of building the whole thing!

Take it slow and you will be fine. Enjoy building it...to me it is a lot of fun building a new rig.

I guess i'll wait it out then.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
OK guys simple question....

Is it worth upgrading from an Intel Core i7 950 OC'ed to 4.0Ghz, to either a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge? My Core i7 950 runs very well and temps are good under load. Worth it?

Top Bottom