• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought a *new* copy of NFS Hot Pursuit - online code expired? [EA Responds]

This is why I hate garbage like this.

I guess the online pass in my sealed Hot Pursuit is useless as well.
I don't think hot pursuit is an actual online code but more like a limited edition code giving more cars, but I activated on day one so its been a long time and I could be wrong

IrishNinja

So NOT ONLY do you have to buy an online pass for a game that's gonna get its servers shut off after two years, but no you have the PASSES expiring?

ahaha, i forgot about the first part. this is such an amazing formula - "we can save SO MUCH if we only let the average consumer online for about 13 days."

SonicBoom

I just entered the code into xbox live 3 hours ago from a limited edition of NFS: Hot Persuit brand new and it worked just fine took like 15 seconds for the download to start but it worked... LOL this thread got me scared so I opened NFS:HP LE and Shift 2 Limited Edition and entered the online passes... both worked just fine you probably entered the wrong letters or numbers zero or Os

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I got Socom 4 and it has the code set for 1 year from release date, April 18th, 2012, once that date passes... oh oh

I got it in September from Best Buy, they sent me a copy that still had Resistance 3 Beta code to boot (LOL), meaning it was first print run

That is the roll of the dice now, if you wait to long, game doesn't sell well, overstock, game sold 1+ year later will have expiration date and you might get assed out

Also when EA already is shutting down Madden '10 servers.. I mean not even for a 3+ year old game... come the fuck on
I wouldn't be surprised '11 will be shutdown next year, so only '12 & '13 will be ready for the seasonal $60 roster updates

UFRA

Yep. It's written in the disclaimer/policy for every game and every publisher. Some companies make sure they expire while others don't. In the end, you can't say or do shit cause it's there in fine print. Welcome to shitty DRM.

Holy shit, what the fuck...........

B-Dex

Deepak said I needed to provide a real key. LOL I told him it was and then he asked me where I bought it.

fernoca

I had no idea Deepak Chopra was working for EA support. I'd imagine he's quite a soothing influence.

Hmmm...

7scFj.jpg

...guess the sales weren't a good as he expected.

But yeah, anyone tried other PSN codes or Qriocity? Since 360 users report no problems with their codes and Guy Legend's couldn't get the new code to work. So the problem could be tied to PSN and/or just the PS3 editions of the game.
Still sucks, but just saying. :p

B-Dex

He said they only deal with Origin codes and not 3rd party retailer ones? LOL

So disc copies are 3rd party? Then said all he can do is give me a discount coupon.....

He refused to help saying contact the retailer and that he cant' issue a new code..... WTF quality service.

Yeah we packed in a bad code but fuck you for buying our game.

B-Dex

OH Apparently I've bitched enough that he is making an exception for me. LOL

He tried to say it was a 3rd party issue but I called him out and said EA makes the codes.... lol

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
OH Apparently I've bitched enough that he is making an exception for me. LOL

He tried to say it was a 3rd party issue but I called him out and said EA makes the codes.... lol

That's EA for you. They'd rather fuck you over then help you. Course once you annoy them enough they eventually actually help you.

Jamie OD

This is shocking. It's not just EA but THQ is another company that does this as well. This thread made me look at the codes for my copies of Saints Row 3 and WWE 12. The Rock code for WWE is valid until next December, which I can see why. Mostly everyone would have moved onto the next WWE game by then. But the Genki pack code for SR3 is valid until 15th February, 2012! That's ridiculous!

Fake Edit: Just realised those are the codes for bonus content. No mention of a cutoff date for the online access codes.

Cels

Pradeep gave me a 1-month 20% off origin code, and said I have to contact the retailer, which is Toys R Us.

Are you fucking kidding me EA? Like Toys R Us is going to have extra codes to give me!

malfcn

Pradeep gave me a 1-month 20% off origin code, and said I have to contact the retailer, which is Toys R Us.

Are you fucking kidding me EA? Like Toys R Us is going to have extra codes to give me!

Toys R Us would give you some kind of strange look too.

Xanathus

I haven't bought a single game that has used any sort of online code/pass yet, and I don't plan to start anytime soon.
No shit, the only way to stop this is to just stop buying products from companies with these anti-consumer practices. EA/Activision/THQ/Ubisoft et al. has been doing these shit for decades, the fact that threads like this keep popping up shows that gamers as a whole are mindless consumer sheep. Kotick is right.

dose

It will say something in the lines of not guaranteeing access after one year or some shit like that. Sometimes they'll just say "It clearly says that we won't provide any warranty after a year of release date of the game, so online pass is part of this."

Does anyone have any actual proof of this other than the vague text you mention?
The first line about guaranteeing access could simply mean about them taking servers offline (which EA seem to do frequently...) I find this online pass expiry thing hard to believe.
EDIT: Seen theSeks post. Crazy if true.

SmokyDave

Digital copies that come with Blu-rays expire as well.

I'm surprised at all the disbelief to be honest. It's one of the reasons people shouldn't support this shit in the first place, the ramifications of this system aren't always obvious on day one.

dose

And there it is on the back of the 360 Bad Company 2 boxart (edit) for DLC, not online pass obv. No mention of expiry on other EA games such as Hot Pursuit and Battlefield 3 though.

ZOd4k.jpg

Aaron

I haven't bought a single game that has used any sort of online code/pass yet, and I don't plan to start anytime soon.
I tried to do this. No one ever mentioned Dirt 3 had an online pass. And if you don't enter it in, it nags you every time you boot the game up. Ugh.

Here's my advice.

Call EA. Their live chat sucks ass and if you're doing it later at night, you'll be outsourced. Talk to one of the reps on the phone and let them know the situation. They should be able to help you out and get a replacement. If not, let them know that you cannot use the game fully since you purchased it to play online with friends (bullshit but whatever) . If that doesn't work, ask to speak to a supervisor and try to be calm and let him know the situation.

As long as you have a receipt, they should help you out.

Stealth Edit: Don't go to Toys R Us. In this case, EA gave the pass out in the game and it's not working. They need to make good on it. Just try calling the support in your region. You could always tweet them.

http://twitter.com/#!/askeasupport

Just to make sure the point is made, EA is responsible for your issue, they need to make good on their pass

Has to be a psn issue. No other reason would explain why the new code doesn't even work.

If the new code doesn't work, that means that all the codes they have for replacements are expired. Yeah you'll need to talk to phone support and talk to a supervisor.

NinjaBoiX

That really sucks. You'll be locked out of Autolog too right? I mean, Autolog is Hot Pursuit, the whole point of playing.

Cels

of course i wasn't going to go to ToysRUs. waste of time.

Just now EA replied and told me to create a new PSN ID and try redeeming it on that account, and to check that the account region matches the region of the game. I did it just to humor them but of course it didn't work.

The rep said that it was a "sure shot" in his (her?) e-mail and then closed the ticket without waiting for me to reply to see if it worked or not. Arrogant bastard.

Digital copies that come with Blu-rays expire as well.

I'm surprised at all the disbelief to be honest. It's one of the reasons people shouldn't support this shit in the first place, the ramifications of this system aren't always obvious on day one.

I'm in disbelief because this is the first time I've heard about it. In those online pass discussion threads I never once saw expired passes in new copies used as an argument against.
I've never had this problem myself and I only buy games when they've gone way down in price.

SmokyDave

I'm in disbelief because this is the first time I've heard about it. In those online pass discussion threads I never once saw expired passes in new copies used as an argument against.
I've never had this problem myself and I only buy games when they've gone way down in price.

Yeah, that's fair enough I guess. I only got the idea to check the dates when I tried to redeem my digital copy of Sherlock Holmes on blu-ray, only to find out that it had expired. The pisser is, I bought the film on day one, I just didn't bother redeeming the code until I wanted to, by which time it had expired.

Don't support this shit or it will get worse. I was gutted skipping over Uncharted 3 but sometimes, sacrifices have to be made.

Shiloa

I bought NFS:HP a few months back and had trouble getting the online to work. Did you try searching the PS Store for the online pass manually to see if it was available to you free?

dose

The thing is, if you buy a game from an online store how are you going to find this information out before you buy? When do online shops ever show you an image of the back of the case?? Answer: Never.
It doesn't sound like this is happening to the OP, but if I ever bought a game with an expired code I would kick up such a fuss with the place I bought it from if they didn't state it on their site.

What is this shit? I ordered a brand new copy of Need for Speed Hot Pursuit on PS3 from Amazon a couple of days back and received it today. Putting in the online code that came with the game gives the message telling me that the code is either incorrect or no longer valid.

Online codes can expire? If you buy a brand new game late, you're SOL on the online play? The copy I got has greatest hits packaging...can't be that old.

Who do I complain to, EA or Amazon?

You're out of luck. EA told me and my brother to suck it, after his PS3 online Pass didn't work. You've been scammed, so get your money back while you can.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
And that's why I refuse to support operation 10 dollar right there. Here you buy the game new and you're screwed by their greed.

That's why I support buying used games. Screw these publishers, I don't understand why some people care so much about them, when they clearly don't give a shit about you.

Dead Man

So I just looked at the back of my copy of NFS:HP, and it mentions that codes must be redeemed, and servers may shut down, but gives no dates or details.

Does it even say on the voucher that it can't be redeemed after a certain point?

The stone prisoner DLC code I got with Dragon Age: Origins expired about 6 months after release, but it at least said that on the voucher. I'm pretty sure I bought it before it expired but I didn't get around to playing the game until afterwards. It's pretty ridiculous, I don't see the point in single-player DLC codes expiring as long as you still get the game new. And it's not like it's even to encourage people to buy at release because they don't let anyone know ahead of time that the DLC codes will expire if they aren't redeemed before a certain point.

mclem

lol

Where are the gaffers that defend online passes? Please defend this

No, sorry. While I'm okay with the concept behind them, it is rather dependent on new copies always *having* the content that merits the premium they command over used.

Top Bottom