• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought a *new* copy of NFS Hot Pursuit - online code expired? [EA Responds]

Mxrz

I've never seen one expire, but seems like I don't pick up many EA games. The closest I've seen is the Uncharted 2 goty dlc stuff that said it expired in 10/2010, but I activated mine this past April. That's a real douche move from EA if true.

jsnepo

I've never seen one expire, but seems like I don't pick up many EA games. The closest I've seen is the Uncharted 2 goty dlc stuff that said it expired in 10/2010, but I activated mine this past April. That's a real douche move from EA if true.

Do these games with expiring DLCs have print in them so that the customer will know before buying? I was thinking of getting the U2 GOTY.

Hey, I just bought NFS Hot Pursuit a few weeks ago from Target, and the exact same thing happened! I'm glad it's not just me. I don't think it locks me out of any single player stuff (to my knowledge) so I'll probably not bother to complain, since I only bought if for single player. And any hope of local multiplayer.

inky

LOL EA. Be grateful guys, at least they are not charging anymore should you want to download your PC games 30 days after your initial purchase. Yes, that was a real thing I'm not joking, yes this policy was still in place in 2011, they only got rid of it due to their Origin bs client.

paging cpp_is_king ASAP

I wouldn't put it past him to defend this, honestly. As far as he is concerned we are just renting the games anyways.

Dead Man

I remember a lot of people saying online passes and the like were fine if they were implemented fairly. I agree with that. The trouble is that they will never be implemented fairly by ever publisher, so shit like this creeps in.

Coxy

lol

Where are the gaffers that defend online passes? Please defend this

i7DXh.gif

rapid32.5

It's not EA's fault you took your good old fashioned time buying the game. Maybe you should buy a fuckin' calendar!
lol, throw your new, sealed game in the garbage it reeks already two days past expiration date. Buy another online code to deliver it fresh at your door, don't forget to pay for fast delivery.

Bulzeeb

wait, I didn't know this online passes had an expiration date, and I was thinking on buying the pc version of this game well it seems that I am skipping the game now =/

Yagharek

The irony here is that corporate ballwashers/opponents of the used game market like to make the point that "games don't degrade in quality like other second hand goods".

Notwithstanding the point that used games do degrade with time, here we have the case where new game purchases do degrade with time, whist the used game buyer would end up with an equivalent product for a change.

Haha, now even when you buy the game new you're still stealing if you don't buy it "new enough."

And here I thought there was nothing left they could do to surprise me...

Aaron

Just when I think EA has run out of ways of screwing people over, they surprise me.

I recently bought Dirt 3 new and its online code still worked.

Haha, I guess they figure that since the games end up so cheap after a year they can inflate the price back up making you buy the online pass. Horrible company.

I just realized that if they ever implimented CD keys on console games they could then make the keys expire after a year and force you to re-new them online for money!

I should send EA a letter I think I might be their new CEO by the end of the week.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So NOT ONLY do you have to buy an online pass for a game that's gonna get its servers shut off after two years, but no you have the PASSES expiring?

But you're not allowed to complain, you WHINY ENTITLED GAMER! Don't you understand how HARD it is for the multibillion dollar corporation that is EA?

one of my "fuuuuuuuuuuu" moments i know will happen to me eventually in the future.
bummer to hear about that op

I remember my friends BF3 code didn't work and he tried to get a replacement but he couldn't :/ pretty messed up

ultron87

Well that's bullshit.

And I was planning to buy Hot Pursuit sometime soon here once I'm done with my pile from the last few months.

Is it worth it just for the single player? (Because I sure as hell am not buying a separate pass.)

Yagharek

one of my "fuuuuuuuuuuu" moments i know will happen to me eventually in the future.
bummer to hear about that op

I remember my friends BF3 code didn't work and he tried to get a replacement but he couldn't :/ pretty messed up

Obviously your friend was a criminal who made developers' children die of starvation and he should be made to pay twice.

Emitan

Well that's bullshit.

And I was planning to buy Hot Pursuit sometime soon here once I'm done with my pile from the last few months.

Is it worth it just for the single player? (Because I sure as hell am not buying a separate pass.)

Single player is a lot of fun. I hope they don't block autolog without the pass. I'd murder someone.

Your fault for not buying it hard enough. You should pre-order it before a certain date from the store EA has a marketing deal with. Contact EA and apologize and maybe they won't ban your account for saying things on the internet.

You should definitely be able to get a refund from Amazon if EA support is being difficult.
Do these games with expiring DLCs have print in them so that the customer will know before buying? I was thinking of getting the U2 GOTY.
The expiration date should be in tiny text somewhere on the back. This can be kind of really difficult to check when ordering online.

There are no details about what content or features the code gives you access to. True with BC2 at least, where it just says "bonus downloadable content". So one would obviously be very happy to find out that this means the game has only four maps. Kind of like I was when I bought it day one and there were just five. I will never get over that. Fucking assholes. EA's "Y'know things break" moment for me.

Seems like in this case EA decided against packing in new 12 month valid vouchers and continued using the originals. When did Hot Pursuit go Greatest Hits?

I bought Mass Effect 2 when it came out but haven't gotten to it yet... So much for the Cerberus Network, then? Bought all the paid DLC too!

Sorry I'm not good enough, EA!

ouchx100

How can anyone like these passes? When I didn't like resistance 3 and decided to put it on craigslist, even for $30 I still didn't get any offers (a month after release..) because I said I'd used the online pass. I also could see it hurting the online community with people who share games with friends or family. My nephew was going to get MW3 and I wanted BF3. We both wanted to play each game and each have our own PS3s. Short story, my nephew couldn't go online in BF3.

Also it sucks that when I buy a new game not only do I have to download an update (on day 1? :/ ) but now I have an online code to enter, my preorder bonus off my receipt and usually another code for some shit. What the hell is this?

Guy Legend

Been chatting with EA live chat for the last couple of hours....

In short, they issued a new code....didn't work again. Told me to create a new PSN account....lol. I even tried that. Code didn't work still. Now apparently they're going to launch an investigation and possibly get back to me...

I hate this online code garbage.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Been chatting with EA live chat for the last couple of hours....

In short, they issued a new code....didn't work again. Told me to create a new PSN account....lol. I even tried that. Code didn't work still. Now apparently they're going to launch an investigation and possibly get back to me...

I hate this online code garbage.

Exxpiirreed

PM me one of the codes, maybe it's just your account. I can give it a shot.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
As if online passes couldnt get any worse.
Just wait for the complaints from people who buy an old game and pay for an online pass only to have them shut down the servers a week later. It'll be fun times once that starts happening.

Yagharek

Just wait for the complaints from people who buy an old game and pay for an online pass only to have them shut down the servers a week later. It'll be fun times once that starts happening.

Indeed.

I actually look forward to it happening (not to see consumer misery) but something needs to happen that brings this issue to a head. I want it to be seen for how disgusting this online pass scam is, and for the media to actually acknowledge it.

Presently, EA put some clause in their EULA where they claim they can terminate online functions with 30 days notice. I sure as shit bet they dont notify people who buy online passes within that 30 day window that they only have <1 month worth of time to play it online.

I bought NFS from gamefly a few weeks ago and the online pass worked even though it said expired. Keep trying and if that fails contact EA until someone actually helps you. I got a free BFBC2 VIP code since the one from my new game didn't work.

fernoca

Yep. It's well known that codes in original print runs expire, though in some cases is because they expect those copies to sold and when they ship the inevitable game of the year or the cheaper edition; this ones has new codes with new expiration dates.
One big reason they also put expiration, is because some people have the tendency of opening the games, taking the codes, hoarding those cards and selling them online. Same reason they started putting shorter expiration periods on limited editions DLC included.

In 99% of the cases, if you're a "legal buyer" to them (i.e. you have a receipt and bought the game new) you just contact customer service and they issue a new code.
This case is weird that the old code and the new codes don't work in that account; neither on any account.

Though I'll probably be put in the "see!!! I knew someone's going to defend this shitty move", but I'm not defending; just informing. :p

They'll probably issue refunds (since the servers they shutdown are usually for the games that not many are playing..or many are buying passes if needed).
If it's that close between the purchase and the servers been shut down. Kinda like how Nintendo issued refunds to those that bought the Opera Browser for the Wii, when they made it free (permanently) and the people bought it around 1 week/1 month close to that.

B-Dex

Just opened my limited edition copy i got. Same problem. But my sheet with the code has no expiration on it. Just says one code per ea account.

fernoca

Just opened my limited edition copy i got. Same problem. But my sheet with the code has no expiration on it. Just says one code per ea account.
Though are you on PS3 too?
Maybe the issue is with the PSN side (and if someone can check/redeem any other PSN code to check). There has been cases were because of some glitch or whatever, that you can't redeem codes until...whenever or whatever. :p

If anything, (and the OP too) did you guys tried Qriocity and redeem the code from there? There are some weird cases that codes appear as redeemed in one side, but work just fine in the other.

Brashnir

Good luck. I had 2 codes that came with a new Copy of Dragon Age 1 that I never did manage to get working. I didn't even buy that game late - I picked it up a few weeks after it came out.

Haven't bought an EA game since.

I really want to laugh at this, not in a schadenfreude kind of way but just because if I don't I may burst into tears.

Snuggler was being sarcastic.

Didn't you see the thread where he moved all his Steam games to Origin? He's a dyed-in-the-wool EA ballwasher.

Top Bottom