• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade 11/30/2007 Jeff Gerstmann fired from Gamespot, allegedly for K&L review

Status
Not open for further replies.

SickBoy

I'll refrain from further comment until there's some more concrete reporting. I'm pleased to see some skepticism even though given what's out there right now I can totally understand why people are taking this rumor as fact.

Gary Whitta said:
Here's my insight.

I was the Editor-in-Chief of PC Gamer from 1996 to 2000.

Since no one else is making the differentiation, EIC of the U.K. or U.S. version? (Not that it matters, just that I read an awful lot more of the U.S. version)

gray_fox224

Tieno said:
Rich Gallup's post on Jeff Gerstmann was very nice, why did Rich leave gamespot though? And where is he now?

Not sure, but maybe he saw little instances of this here and there and left before it would get worse.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
SickBoy said:
I'll refrain from further comment until there's some more concrete reporting. I'm pleased to see some skepticism even though given what's out there right now I can totally understand why people are taking this rumor as fact.

Since no one else is making the differentiation, EIC of the U.K. or U.S. version? (Not that it matters, just that I read an awful lot more of the U.S. version)

US
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pc_gamer

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gary Whitta said:
Actually both. I was Editor of the UK version 1993-96, then moved to the US version as EIC 1996-200

Yeah, I saw that. But PCG US phone-book-size issues über alles, no offense.

squicken

Tieno said:
Rich Gallup's post on Jeff Gerstmann was very nice, why did Rich leave gamespot though? And where is he now?

If you read his blog post right below the Gertsmann post, you'll see he is unemployed and playing tons of videogames. They teased him On the Spot about leaving to move back east b/c of his girlfriend. That's why he left.

Groovester

Neo Member
To kinda bring a temper to this argument, what if it was CNETs decision and not GameSpots? Wouldn't that change the dynamic of the argument becuase I doubt that a popular gaming site would cave under that pressure. A parent company might, however.

Time will tell...

Groovester said:
To kinda bring a temper to this argument, what if it was CNETs decision and not GameSpots? Wouldn't that change the dynamic of the argument becuase I doubt that a popular gaming site would cave under that pressure. A parent company might, however.

Time will tell...

That's already been established hasn't it? I thought he reported directly to C*NT?

Groovester said:

Time will tell...

It was CNet's decision. Jeff was EIC at Gamespot, doesn't get much higher than that. Don't think anyone at Gamespot could've fired him :)

nightowl

Groovester said:

Time will tell...

I *think* that as EIC he was basically in charge of Gamespot so that any decision to remove him would have almost had to have been from CNet/Parent company. I couldn't definitely be wrong on that one, but I think many agree with you that this was likely a CNet management call, not an inside Gamespot one. However, it still appears to impudiate the credibility of all of the CNet family, including Gamespot itself.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Gary Whitta said:
Actually both. I was Editor of the UK version 1993-96, then moved to the US version as EIC 1996-200

Coconut_Monkey.jpg

nightowl

Ok, I'm a novice when it comes to the Digg site but....this story was the top rated news story on the site earlier int he day with over 2000 diggs. Now I don't see it on the site at all (at least not the original story that had over 2000 diggs).

Anyone know why it would be either removed or have its diggs reset? Or is it still there and for some reason I just can't find it?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the site has been altogether worthless since greg kasavin left, anyway. gerstmann added weird pseudo-hip hop vibe to the hotspot's proceedings, i guess, but gamespot was of no value to me once greg k. and rich g. headed for the doors. now if shoemaker will skedaddle, we can call it a day.

nightowl said:
Ok, I'm a novice when it comes to the Digg site but....this story was the top rated news story on the site earlier int he day with over 2000 diggs. Now I don't see it on the site at all (at least not the original story that had over 2000 diggs).

Anyone know why it would be either removed or have its diggs reset? Or is it still there and for some reason I just can't find it?
Found it:
http://www.digg.com/gaming_news/Rumor_Gamespot_Editor_Fired_Over_Negative_****_*****_Review

probune

nightowl said:

Opus Angelorum said:
It has been pulled, interesting.

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Rumor_Gamespot_Editor_Fired_Over_Negative_****_*****_Review

It's still there...

EDIT: well, unfortunately since **** and ***** is banned you can't use the URL...

nightowl

guise said:
I thought the top 10 is dynamic ? stuff only stays there for like 12 hours max doesn't it?
This may explain it. As I mentioned earlier, I'm definitely a Digg novice and wasn't sure how it worked.

Ravidrath

Such a giant fucking disaster.

I personally question whether or not this is the primary reason why Jeff was let go, but either way it LOOKS that way, and the end result is that they basically just shat away all of their credibility overnight. And if they haven't, then they're probably going to lose a fair amount of their editorial staff, too. A friend there told me that basically no work has gotten done since Wednesday, the entire staff is on edge while they update their resumes, and that a number of people didn't show up today or are heading home early.

While there is an official review of Jeff's firing going on now, apparently there is also a witch hunt to find out who leaked it. Because, you know, no one would've ever noticed that one of the co-EICs and most prominent personalities on the site was gone if someone hadn't leaked it. And when you make a mistake, the important thing is to find out who told others about the mistake, not try to address the mistake itself. On top of it all, people internally warned them that this exact scenario would happen because, well, it's entirely fucking predictable, and were blown off anyway.

This is what you get when you put some Maxim cunt in charge of your website, I guess.

Can we get a Gamespot link ban, for the time being? I generally hate the idea of banning sites, but they've actually earned it this time, unlike most of the ones in the past.

Evlar

Banned
Ravidrath said:

I personally question whether or not this is the primary reason why Jeff was let go, but either way it LOOKS that way, and the end result is that they basically just shat away all of their credibility overnight. And if they haven't, then they're probably going to lose a fair amount of their editorial staff, too.

While there is an official review of Jeff's firing going on now, apparently there is also a witch hunt to find out who leaked it. Because, you know, no one would've ever noticed that one of the co-EICs and most prominent personalities on the site was gone if someone hadn't leaked it. On top of it all, people internally warned them that this exact scenario would happen.

This is what you get when you put some Maxim cunt in charge of your website, I guess.

Can we get a Gamespot link ban, for the time being? I generally hate the idea of banning sites, in general, but they've actually earned it this time, unlike most of the ones in the past.
It's already done: there' s another sticky thread. Just try adding ".com" to GameSpot or GameFAQs.

nightowl

Ravidrath said:
Can we get a Gamespot link ban, for the time being? I generally hate the idea of banning sites, in general, but they've actually earned it this time, unlike most of the ones in the past.
Already in place I believe.

As for the rest of your post...well said! :)

Jenga

Banned
Ravidrath said:
No need to ask. Anyways, the whole debacle is pretty amazing. I really wonder if Gamespot will EVER recover their credibility.

probune

guise said:
I thought the top 10 is dynamic ? stuff only stays there for like 12 hours max doesn't it?

This is true.

Ravidrath said:
Hot - did you get GameRankings, too? They own that, too, you know.

All CNET sites iirc

EDIT: lol yeah

Tieno

CriscoDisco said:
What post? Where?
Jeff GameSpot
Once upon a time, I heard Jeff Gerstmann introduce himself as "Jeff GameSpot." A simple slip of the tongue that occurred off-camera, yet will forever be preserved in my mind as a symbol of the man's love and dedication to this web site, his co-workers, and the trusting audience we shared.

We will probably never learn all of the facts that led to the "why" of his departure, but the timing of the "how" is egregious enough to warrant such an amazing uproar. Right after the big review push is over, just before the warm and fuzzy holiday break, and with no chance for a friendly send-off episode or two. It all feels mean, and sad.

Part of me wishes I was still there, but I'm positive there are plenty of my friends saying the things I would like to be saying in those inevitable managerial explanation sessions. Jeff will be fine, yet I sympathize greatly with those left with the difficult choice of "kicking" (following one's moral compass out the door) or "sticking" (paying that San Francisco rent in a tough economy).

That said, I can speak from personal experience that there is no better time for a gaming fan to be unemployed, and if anybody wants to join me for some therapeutic Call of Duty, I'll see you online.

-Rich

http://www.gamespotx.com/users/Richie-G/

Woo-Fu

Banned
Doesn't make much sense to fire him over the review due to pressure from the publisher and still leave the review up. Has to be more to it. I suspect it is more likely just the final straw in an ongoing management dispute.

Due to the poor way it was handled, though, everybody will remember the final straw. I just get the image of whoever fired him stepping on the tines of a rake only to realize he was about to get smacked in the face by the handle.

Dirtbag

Superblatt said:
If he can't comment, it sounds like he's bringing a suit. What other reason would there be?

severance package, and no one would hire him in the journalism industry if he goes after gamespot publicly (privately is a different story).

though it could be a cool way to give cred to an up and coming site. by hiring the guy who tells it like it is.

skip

Superblatt said:
If he can't comment, it sounds like he's bringing a suit. What other reason would there be?

Non-disclosure agreement as part of a severance package, which is quite common.

Ravidrath

Superblatt said:

No, there's just a clause in his termination contract that says he can't talk about it if he wants his severance package.

...Which is why he sends Mosaic to do his dirty work. Fly, my not-so-pretties!

nightowl

Superblatt said:

It wouldn't be unheard of for him to have signed an agreement at some point before, during, or after his employment with the company that would restrict him from being able to divulge information that would cause the company harm.

Also, even if he hasn't signed something that is restricting him, at a minimum as an employee of 11+ years he likely has various benefits (medical, insurance, retirement) and perhaps severance/vacation pay that is due to him. His #1 priority should be making sure his interersts are being properly handled and wrapped up before getting into tell all mode to be honest.

I personally think seeking litigation over his dismissal is the most remote of possibilities (both from a legal and a realistic standpoint), but it definitely can't be ruled out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom