• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayah

Yeah it's been said a couple of times. AMD is also right next to Nintendo. Together the layout actually creates the tri-force. This is one of the main reasons why we expect some new information.
AMD is also next to them, we made the triforce joke sometime in january from memory.

Interesting.
Just gonna hope for TimeSplitters 4. I clearly remember there was a survey done a long time ago by (formerly known as) Free Radical Design to see which platform gamers had wanted to see TimeSplitters 4 on. Wii was in the lead at like 34% or something.

TriGen

How do you all know it's better? I'm sure Nintendo engineers hands are a better gauge than your eyeballs/imagination.

I think it will probaly be different at this E3 anyway, so it will end up not mattering which one is better. I would seriously be surprised if either picture ends up the final product, I just think people like it better because it looks like it would handle more like an average controller, without anyone ever handling their initial design we will obviously never know if this is true.

but that's not why he was banned, he was banned not because of the comment specifically but because it didn't add anything to the thread, was just negative. Trust me I been banned 309248029324 times already. trust me.

also that was the largest post I've made tonight without typos, I'm officially done being drunk, now I'm actually going. Don't judge me tomorrow guys.

I have to go with the E3 design. The left looks like a traditional controller with a screen wedged into it, whilst the right looks like a tablet with additional buttons. I think it's the more marketable option.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I think it will probaly be different at this E3 anyway, so it will end up not mattering which one is better. I would seriously be surprised if either picture ends up the final product, I just think people like it better because it looks like it would handle more like an average controller, without anyone ever handling their initial design we will obviously never know if this is true.

Time shall tell

TriGen

Interesting.
Just gonna hope for TimeSplitters 4. I clearly remember there was a survey done a long time ago by (formerly known as) Free Radical Design to see which platform gamers had wanted to see TimeSplitters 4 on. Wii was in the lead at like 34% or something.

Back around E3 last year CVG reported that TS4 was being shown behind closed doors and was on it's way, behind closed doors in 2011 sounds like a game that would be ready in time for the Wii U. That rumor was pushed down and people seemed to forget about it because CVG in the same article said the next Xbox would be at E3 2012, so that got all the attention over the TS4 rumor.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/307242/xbox-720-reveal-within-a-year-timesplitters-4-coming-rumour/

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I would like to see the right side buttons and slider swap places. Plus the buttons could be a tad bigger.

guek

Banned
If TS4 is indeed coming to the Wii U, there's no way it'd be exclusive. I kind of get the feeling that people think TS4 rumor somehow means it'd be the lead platform when the reality is it'd most likely just be a port.

Which is fine and all as far as I'm concerned :-D An enhanced port would be pretty sweet though...

Log4Girlz

I'm baaaaaaaaaack. It was only a 24 hr ban. Man, I really need to learn to just simmer down. It's not so much that I take anything that happens on these boards personally, I just find certain types of behavior aggravatingly annoying and just momentarily snap.

Anywho, interesting new rumors. I also feel like TS4 is a longshot, as is the idea of a huge leap over the current gen, but I love to hope. I'm trying to remain pessimistic because it'll keep my expectations in check, but to be honest there's a little sliver of me that eats up each and every single rumor that points to a very powerful console. I guess I can't help it :p

Next time put the assault rifle down :p

Roo

I would like to see the right side buttons and slider swap places. Plus the buttons could be a tad bigger.

I'm more concerned about the Pause/Home buttons.
They're too far away from the action.
hypothetically what if you are playing Mario Kart Wii U and then your phone rings in the middle of a drift in the last three curves and the rest of the CPU are just two feet away from you? You have to stop doing your drift to reach the Pause button.

If TS4 is indeed coming to the Wii U, there's no way it'd be exclusive.

While I agree, a heavy Nintendo assisted marketing push for an exclusive TS4 on Wii U (with a healthy online community & Mod & DLC scene might be more lucrative than only selling 300K as another multiplatform FPS with standard EA Partners marketing.

I'm baaaaaaaaaack. It was only a 24 hr ban. Man, I really need to learn to just simmer down. It's not so much that I take anything that happens on these boards personally, I just find certain types of behavior aggravatingly annoying and just momentarily snap.

Anywho, interesting new rumors. I also feel like TS4 is a longshot, as is the idea of a huge leap over the current gen, but I love to hope. I'm trying to remain pessimistic because it'll keep my expectations in check, but to be honest there's a little sliver of me that eats up each and every single rumor that points to a very powerful console. I guess I can't help it :p

Hey guek, welcome back. For me, I keep expectations low so I prepare for the worst, but I hope for the best. This is why I believe we'll get a reveal at GDC.

Roo

Hey guek, welcome back. For me, I keep expectations low so I prepare for the worst, but I hope for the best. This is why I believe we'll get a reveal at GDC.

Same here. After the last Nintendo Direct I'm keeping my expectations low. That way, if they don't announce anything, I won't end up in a corner =(

Edit: Damn! it's like the third or fourth time I start a new page :mad:

Fredrik

How do you all know it's better? I'm sure Nintendo engineers hands are a better gauge than your eyeballs/imagination.
true, but look at the placements of the buttons and slidepads, having the buttons directly below the slidepad makes the thumb movements weird, try moving the thumb like that and see for yourself. And then we have sticks vs slidepads. Not much to say there that hasn't already been said.
But like someone said, it might be changed again before the next time it's shown.

guek

Banned

it'd be nice if we got something, but i don't think it's going to happen. at best we'll get rumors and impressions from footage seen behind doors

Hiltz

I don't think this has been posted yet even though the article's from two days ago. It's a new interview with Vigil producer of Dark Siders 2's Wii U version, but nothing really new is discussed.

On the touch screen:

“Just to have something on the touch screen in Darksiders 2 Wii U - we put the inventory and map systems on the controller – even that small thing makes a big difference.When you collect a new piece of loot, you just look down to see if you want it, and can equip it instantly. I can’t say for sure if that’ll be in the final cut, but it’s really cool that the gameplay experience never has to be broken up by changing out equipment.”

“It allows for quick weapon and equipment swaps. For example, you could have two different equipment sets for Death – one that’s geared towards heavy weapons and big armour, and another that’s designed for mobility and quick strikes. For Darksiders 2 Wii U, all it would take to switch from one to the other would be a hot button on the touch screen, and multiple swaps could be made during an intense combat without ever pausing.

On streaming to the controller:

“Our one and only goal once we got the Wii U hardware was to get Darksiders 2 running on it. We didn’t even have running the game on the touch screen on our ‘to do’ list. But once we got it running, we just fooled around with getting it on the touch screen as a lark. It took all of five minutes and two lines of code, and boom! – there was the entire game running on the controller. Amazing.”

“Hopefully a couple years from now, a new game will come out and everyone will say that it’s ‘like Darksiders’. When that happens, we’ll know we’ve really achieved a benchmark.”

By the way, there will be new exclusive interviews for Killer Freaks from Outer Space and Tekken For Wii U next week.

http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/02/24/darksiders-2-wii-u-gameplay-interview/

it'd be nice if we got something, but i don't think it's going to happen. at best we'll get rumors and impressions from footage seen behind doors

Yeah, sure - but from this, I'm keeping m fingers crossed that someone lets slip about what they've seen and inadvertantly admits a certain game is in production.
Like, "Oh, hey, I saw the Wii U demo and it was great. Crytek have done an amazing job..." "What was it like?" "Well, you know TimeSplitters? Yeah, that's all I'm saying...".

Well not QUITE like that, but you know what I mean...

Fredrik

I don't think this has been posted yet even though the article's from two days ago. It's a new interview with Vigil producer of Dark Siders 2's Wii U version, but nothing really new is discussed.

On the touch screen:

“Just to have something on the touch screen in Darksiders 2 Wii U - we put the inventory and map systems on the controller – even that small thing makes a big difference.When you collect a new piece of loot, you just look down to see if you want it, and can equip it instantly. I can’t say for sure if that’ll be in the final cut, but it’s really cool that the gameplay experience never has to be broken up by changing out equipment.”

“It allows for quick weapon and equipment swaps. For example, you could have two different equipment sets for Death – one that’s geared towards heavy weapons and big armour, and another that’s designed for mobility and quick strikes. For Darksiders 2 Wii U, all it would take to switch from one to the other would be a hot button on the touch screen, and multiple swaps could be made during an intense combat without ever pausing.

On streaming to the controller

“Our one and only goal once we got the Wii U hardware was to get Darksiders 2 running on it. We didn’t even have running the game on the touch screen on our ‘to do’ list. But once we got it running, we just fooled around with getting it on the touch screen as a lark. It took all of five minutes and two lines of code, and boom! – there was the entire game running on the controller. Amazing.”

“Hopefully a couple years from now, a new game will come out and everyone will say that it’s ‘like Darksiders’. When that happens, we’ll know we’ve really achieved a benchmark.”

By the way, there will be new exclusive interviews for Killer Freaks from Outer Space and Tekken For Wii U next week.

New interview to me, sounds really promising!

Sagitario

I don't think this has been posted yet. It's a new interview with Vigil producer of Dark Siders 2's Wii U version.

On the touch screen:

By the way, there will be new exclusive interviews for Ubisoft's Killer Freaks from Outer Space and Tekken For Wii U.

http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/0...lay-interview/

Interesting.
I like the idea of having a cleaner [HUD-less] TV screen and not pausing (like having the map accessible all the time on Castlevania DS).

What worries me a bit about running a game on the touch screen: the size of the text and other HUD elements.

Roo

On the touch screen:

On streaming to the controller:

I'm think this is an old interview. I remember reading the exact same thing last year after the Wii U reveal.

The Killer Freaks and Tekken is new tho =D

Edit: Yeah, here's something but I'm sure there's an older one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl3HGOsAlx0

antonz

I'm think this is an old interview. I remember reading the exact same thing last year after the Wii U reveal.

The Killer Freaks and Tekken is new tho =D

Edit: Yeah, here's something but I'm sure there's an older one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl3HGOsAlx0

Yeah im kinda wondering what that site/magazine is pulling. They seem to be rehashing E3 era interviews as new news. Killer Freaks has been so limitedly talked about will be able to tell quickly if they are faking new news by rehashing old.

Cookychan

Banned
How many Aussies are in this thread? I'm gunna make a list of us so we can groan together when NAL announce the Wii U's price and release and how it'll be 93729479327429374239 lightyears away from everyone else.

So theres absolutely no excuse for not at least having the opportunity, to switch from the tv to the controller in nearly every game...

But i bet there will be a few lazy ones saying "We didnt have the time to do it"... yeah right...

Interesting.
I like the idea of having a cleaner [HUD-less] TV screen and not pausing (like having the map accessible all the time on Castlevania DS).

See, I don't get this. The whole point of a HUD is to have important information immediately available in your peripheral vision. They invented HUDs for pilots because having to look down at an instrument panel or secondary display in combat was a liability. In the case of the DS at least the two screens were right on top of eachother, but with the WiiU you'd literally be looking down at your hands all the time. Even the inventory management shit doesn't make a ton of sense. If I'm going to have to take my eyes off the action anyway to look down at the controller, there's very little benefit over just popping up the inventory on the main screen. The realtime loadout swapping they're talking about in Darksiders 2 could just as easily be done with a button press.

See, I don't get this. The whole point of a HUD is to have important information immediately available in your peripheral vision. They invented HUDs for pilots because having to look down at an instrument panel or secondary display in combat was a liability. In the case of the DS at least the two screens were right on top of eachother, but with the WiiU you'd literally be looking down at your hands all the time. Even the inventory management shit doesn't make a ton of sense. If I'm going to have to take my eyes off the action anyway to look down at the controller, there's very little benefit over just popping up the inventory on the main screen. The realtime loadout swapping they're talking about in Darksiders 2 could just as easily be done with a button press.
I agree. What the pad could be useful though, is acting as a physical version of a device or item which, in the game world, would require you to look down at your hands anyway. So like the overworld map in Skyrim, the notebook in Shenmue, etc. Compare that to some online fps where you have to look away from the screen to see how many rockets are left in your current weapon... pointless

jimi_dini

Even the inventory management shit doesn't make a ton of sense. If I'm going to have to take my eyes off the action anyway to look down at the controller, there's very little benefit over just popping up the inventory on the main screen.

Just think about inventory managment like Resident Evil 4 in real-time. Having the whole attache case on the controller with touch-based managment. Compare this to a) pausing the game all the time (RE4) or b) the broken real-time inventory in RE5.

ozfunghi

Ok they are better quality pics, (contrast, detail in textures show better in your pic) statement reversed lol, I'm actually more interested now.
But still......kinda reminds me of Ninja Gaiden, which ain't a bad thing but still not what I was expecting, tech demo thou ain't it? not the actual game?

I ain't silly & I'm not trolling lol
I'm just being......I'll just wait till E3, this is all early stuff anyway & I don't wanna be seen as trolling just because I ain't seeing the flare everyone else is yet, that's not fair.

No!
it's my only way of playing REmake!

edit: Oh shit! Does Wii U have BC? but in HD/upscaled if ya know what I mean?

The lighting is a few steps above of what you will find in top PS360 games. How you can claim this looks like a GCN game is asking for flames. Check out the real-time footage of both day and night sequences.

WiiU is BC with Wii, not GCN. It will just play Wii games in 480P, without upscaling. GCN discs won't fit. Likely GCN games will be in the online store, hopefully upscaled.

Nibel

I agree. What the pad could be useful though, is acting as a physical version of a device or item which, in the game world, would require you to look down at your hands anyway. So like the overworld map in Skyrim, the notebook in Shenmue, etc. Compare that to some online fps where you have to look away from the screen to see how many rockets are left in your current weapon... pointless

No, no, no. You must think more in this direction - take a look at my terrible mock-ups:

wOmgA.jpg

Forget expensive peripherals! Just give the player what he needs on his touch screen.

Play sport games in a new way: with a tactic map

Touchscreen sword combat; like in Infinity Blade. Maybe it would be better if you hold the uPad vertically.

Maybe a new take on games like Rainbow Six or Mass Effect where you have to give orders.

If people are talking about HUDless gameplay, they don't mean that essential information like your ammo etc. is going to be removed, but other things.
For Final Fantasy games, the whole management of battles could take place on the uPad. Demon's Souls menu could be displayed on the uPad while the game is still in action.

There are dozens of possibilities, leave it to the creative forces of this industry to make the best of it.

Maybe a new take on games like Rainbow Six or Mass Effect where you have to give orders.

Wow, I cant believe I haven't thought of this yet. You could simply tap on one of your squadmate's icons on the touch screen and then simply touch where you want him to go on the map and boom, you're done. Tapping on a team mate's icon could also bring up a dialog for actions as well, eliminating any confusing command system.

This has to happen. I really want to see the new Rainbow Six on Wii U now.

Yagharek

Wow, I cant believe I haven't thought of this yet. You could simply tap on one of your squadmate's icons on the touch screen and then simply touch where you want him to go on the map and boom, you're done. Tapping on a team mate's icon could also bring up a dialog for actions as well, eliminating any confusing command system.

I'd be happier with a Ghost Recon Shadow Wars spinoff instead. Make it a bit more like Valkyria Chronicles in a way, but multiplayer in the same room or online.

Now I'm not going to mock it up, 'cos I'm busy creating what I think the UI should look like, but imagine you're playing with a team of friends and want to see their position as you make your way towards them - tap their player icon on the side and the Upad could stream their current view on the action, first or third person, so you can assess the situation before you get there.

Now take this to another level - you could take control of a reconnaissance aircraft and inform your friends what enemies are luring around the corner through voice chat and video feed of your intel.

This kind of teamwork would, frankly, be awesome. Some nice 'fuzzy' video feed effects and interruptions/lag when there's an explosion close by and it could really work.

Donnie

As far as HUDs go, yes certain things are best kept on the main screen, like the pilot example, because often that info is designed to interact directly with the image on the main screen. However when it comes to separate things like inventory of course its easier to have it on a second touch screen. You're trying to make this big issue about looking away from the screen down at your hands, don't your arms move then? Can't you just bring the pad up closer to the screen? Having the inventory on your controller at all times means whenever you want to change items you only have to glance away from the screen, move your thumb a few inches and press directly on what you want, something that will take a second at most. A fraction of the time it'll take to bring up an inventory screen on your main screen and cycle through items with a stick to find the one you want. Not to mention there'd be no need to pause the game either. I think I know why you're making such a big deal about it though...

luffeN

Now I'm not going to mock it up, 'cos I'm busy creating what I think the UI should look like, but imagine you're playing with a team of friends and want to see their position as you make your way towards them - tap their player icon on the side and the Upad could stream their current view on the action, first or third person, so you can assess the situation before you get there.
Depends on the genre I guess. Not so good for FPS for example, as you would look away from the main action on the TV. It could be something like Portal 2. Hot buttons on the uPad and a small screen popping up on the left hand side on the TV (for FPSes).

When playing a touch-centric game on the Wii U tablet controller (where what is on-screen is mirrored on the controller), it's very easy to forget that there's a TV in front of you. It makes me wonder if certain games would be better suited to an actual tablet.

MDX

http://game0n.net/2012/02/25/dead-space-overstrike-timesplitters-4/

"My friend told me that when Electronic Arts received the first and second versions of Wii U development kits, Nintendo wasn’t sure how powerful the console was going to be. All they cared about at that point was making a console that was easy to port 360/PS3 games.

Nintendo has stated before they usually develop two consoles at the same time. Then choose one over the other for whatever reason to launch with. I think they probably had a HD console developed several years ago, around the same power as the 360 and PS3, and have used it to get developers to start working on games using the new controller. But they have decided to go with console design 2, a much more beefier console.

People are just getting excited because there is suppose to be some behind closed doors stuff and if the Wii U is shown behind closed doors at GDC then we will have major leaks before E3. You can't show any journalist something and not have it spill.

lol yeah so it can come out to be something negative then everyone gets all pissed at. like we haven't been through that b4. if it's like this past months news, maybe more details on the services that would be fine. but u guys just want specs just tell the truth. (by u guys i mean you hypetrain riders. i know u reasonable, moderate ones aren't like that *your my fav*)

Maxrunner

The one on the left looks infinitely better.

Hopefully that's how the newly unvealed Wii U controller will look at E3 this year.

No its not, the joysticks swap for circle pads makes much sense considering the size of the controller, the analog sticks would make it much less comfortable....

There are dozens of possibilities, leave it to the creative forces of this industry to make the best of it.

This was hoped for when the Wiimote was shown off. For the most part we got shitty waggle.

I have little faith that there will be a whole bunch of creativity from devs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom