• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2017

seady

Splatoon is such a phenomenon. Nintendo has many new franchise since Mario but barely any made it to the top selling status. Pokemon, Animal Crossing and now Splatoon are some of them.

Splatoon is such a phenomenon. Nintendo has many new franchise since Mario but barely any made it to the top selling status. Pokemon, Animal Crossing and now Splatoon are some of them.

On one hand, it's great for diversity and stuff. On the other hand, I'm bitter that their series I enjoy seem to sell like shit (Star Fox, Metroid, F-Zero) while the ones I don't sell like hotcakes.

Branduil

On one hand, it's great for diversity and stuff. On the other hand, I'm bitter that their series I enjoy seem to sell like shit (Star Fox, Metroid, F-Zero) while the ones I don't sell like hotcakes.

Star Fox and Metroid would do better if the recent games weren't shit and they went back to what made the games good in the first place.

F-Zero is really just a fairly niche concept and needs to be budgeted accordingly.

I feel confident that they learned thier lessons with Metroid. I also think they see it as an opportunity to have another western-centric franchise like Zelda. They see the writing on the wall with regards to Japan versus the world tastes in gaming.

Branduil

Peléo;246395494 said:
I feel Star Fox has the potential to reach a higher userbase if they focused on the multiplayer aspect of it.

They need to go back to the SF64 model and stop trying to reinvent the wheel. Fast-paced arcade shooter gameplay with multiple paths and endings for replayability.

joe_zazen

Every game ever is kiddie legs compared to GTAV.....that game is near Tetris levels lol. (Obviously not but still, everyone has it that owns a newer system)

Tetris and Zelda sales are nice, but when you can milk an audience for years...it's a GaaS GaaS GaaS. Mick.gif

redcrayon

Mass Effect: Andromeda seems to have sold fairly well considering the critical/player reception to it, and then the series getting put on ice shortly after.

Not surprised RPG sales are up considering how many major games are classified as within the 'super rpg' overarching category. Adding rpg elements to what would have been action games a decade ago has led to a lot of genres gradually merging towards one mega-genre that covers everything. Still, I'm not complaining- I love RPGs and if it means more major ones get the backing they need for the lengthy dev cycle required, so be it :D

That's a wonderfully diverse chart to look at.
PS4 and Switch doing extremely well in software and hardware.

That PS4 specific top 10 shows exclusives really can matter alongside third party.

Poor Xbox One (someone had to say it).

They just haven't been a part of the gaming conversation in 2017, software-wise.

XB1X hasn't created as much buzz as the Switch either but understandable considering its a mid gen upgrade.

What position was Crash in June?

Looks like Crash is a hit in the west. It's still number 1 in the U.K., 5 weeks at the top, I think.

I hope this means Crash 4 is in the works. No open world platformer, please. Keep it in the original style of 1-3.

Orgen

I'm around if people have questions.

Sorry if it's been asked before but are MK8 Wii U sales included in MK8 numbers like it happens with Zelda: BotW? If so, it's the percentage of Wii U sales/revenue greater than 10% of the total sales/revenue in both cases?

Thanks!

Sorry if it's been asked before but are MK8 Wii U sales included in MK8 numbers like it happens with Zelda: BotW? If so, it's the percentage of Wii U sales/revenue greater than 10% of the total sales/revenue in both cases?

Thanks!

It isn't. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is treated as a different Mario Kart.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Seems like an excellent result for everyone involved. Great to see. In addition to the mention of great Japanese games this year, so happy to see things i love do well.

Also, can someone tell me the ratio to 360/PS3 and XB1/PS4 launch aligned? Are the two current gen still doing better than last gen?

MrCarter

That DC brand is coming in hot and strong for NRS. Can't believe it has eclipsed Tekken when it was released a month before.

noshten

With the FY shipment estimates they've given and stuck to, Nintendo themselves have all but directly said that shortages will continue until 2018.

They could be lowballing, but not much evidence of that yet.

Nintendo have sold 1.5 million in Japan thus far, it's looking likely the Switch will end up between 3.5-4.5 million in Japan this year.
Thus far it's at 1.7 million in NA, with SMO and November/December coming 4 to 5 million is on the cards.
Nintendo France estimates 1 million sold by the end of the year.

Combined these three markets would be close/over 9 million for 2017.
So I think there is a good indication Nintendo was low-balling and we could see something in the region of 12-15 million for 2017.

It's at 1.25M for retail only in NA+JP. I don't think eShop sales are so high yet for Nintendo to take it above 2M.

It could have abnormally high eShop sales - download codes charted in Amazon.co.jp, digital download cards are being sold in grocery 7-Eleven stores in Japan. So it could very well be over >10% digital for Japan which would be pretty huge since generally digital is not the preferred method of buying games that and it's slacking compared to Western Digital addoption.

It was the #1 game on the European eShop for Europe in July, probably the same in NA. With the size of the game and how it has updates planned for an year it's one of the titles that make the most sense being bought digitally. I wouldn't be surprised if it's around 20% digital for it's launch month.

Toni

Seems like an excellent result for everyone involved. Great to see. In addition to the mention of great Japanese games this year, so happy to see things i love do well.

Also, can someone tell me the ratio to 360/PS3 and XB1/PS4 launch aligned? Are the two current gen still doing better than last gen?

Xbox One started trailing behind the 360 this year I believe. And PS4 is still outpacing PS1, PS2 and PS3 worldwide. Still selling 1.2 million units a month.

rockyt

Splatoon 2 is really doing great. I remember when I was a lurker and so many people had written it off bad than. It really is a surprise how successful splatoon is.

AniHawk

PS4 still has the advantage in terms of installbase and I imagine the Switch audience would prefer physical, but I think Mania will do really well on Switch.
Not sure about Forces. The Sonic audience is likely mostly on Nintendo, but it depends on a few things.

i think mania and forces are going to clean up on switch. the switch version is the top selling sku on amazon.com and gamestop.com, and history has shown that, unless it's the wii u, sonic does really well on nintendo platforms.

TheJoRu

Zelda continues to have great legs. The franchise is in a great place, with BotW being a hugely popular game critically and commercially and has provided a really solid framework of art and technology so we won't have to wait 5 years for the next one. I could see the next 3D Zelda being ready already in 2019, or 2020 at the latest.

rockyt

PS4 still has the advantage in terms of installbase and I imagine the Switch audience would prefer physical, but I think Mania will do really well on Switch.
Not sure about Forces. The Sonic audience is likely mostly on Nintendo, but it depends on a few things.

PS4 might have the advantage in install base but as you mention the Sonic audience is most likely Nintendo. Sonic games tend to do better on Nintendo system.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Mass Effect: Andromeda seems to have sold fairly well considering the critical/player reception to it, and then the series getting put on ice shortly after.

Not surprised RPG sales are up considering how many major games are classified as within the 'super rpg' overarching category. Adding rpg elements to what would have been action games a decade ago has led to a lot of genres gradually merging towards one mega-genre that covers everything. Still, I'm not complaining- I love RPGs and if it means more major ones get the backing they need for the lengthy dev cycle required, so be it :D

$20-30 pricepoint it fell to doesn't hurt

D.Lo

Every game ever is kiddie legs compared to GTAV.....that game is near Tetris levels lol. (Obviously not but still, everyone has it that owns a newer system)
Do we have a GTAV PS4/Bone total?

The issue with its overall total is that the current gen version was IMO a remaster of the PS360, not just a regular multiplat. It's not called remastered or whatever but it really was, so I'm sure millions would have double dipped.

A full breakdown by platform would be fascinating.

Mory Dunz

i think mania and forces are going to clean up on switch. the switch version is the top selling sku on amazon.com and gamestop.com, and history has shown that, unless it's the wii u, sonic does really well on nintendo platforms.

sonic racing did best on wii u in terms of consoles iirc

noshten

Matt with August being also pretty slow in terms of new titles what do you think are the chances we see Splatoon 2 & Crash maintain their placing in the top five. The only major games coming out are Uncharted and Mario + Rabbits with the later only having a few days of tracking in August.

Do we have a GTAV PS4/Bone total?

The issue with its overall total is that the current gen version was IMO a remaster of the PS360, not just a regular multiplat. It's not called remastered or whatever but it really was, so I'm sure millions would have double dipped.

A full breakdown by platform would be fascinating.

While you can't pinpoint the exact figures with data we have you can make educated guess. As of August 2014 GTA V had shipped 34 million between X360 and PS3. As of December 2014 game had shipped 45 million and 10 million of that was said to be PS4/Xbone versions. As of May 2017 game has shipped 80 million units. Steamspy gives us 7.2 million for PC version as of early may and lets say other stores add 2.8 million so lets give 10 million to PC. PS3 and X360 versions shipped only 1 million during the first quarter PS4 and Xbone versions were available so I think those version died rather quickly. Lets give something like extra 4 million for those platforms. So 40 million for X360/PS3, 30 million for PS4/Xbone and 10 million for PC. For platform split I would guess PS3 and X360 versions are pretty even in sales (as both had their own stronger markets and and pretty even hardware sales). PS4/Xbone split maybe something like 20 million PS4 and 10 million for Xbone (Considering how PS4 has crushed Xbone this gen) and then of course that 10 million for PC.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
Well, I believe the common sense is understand "best-selling title" as the game that sold more units.
Common sense and financial information are not always compatible.

NPD serves its customers, who are interested in the business performance, and it is most easily measured by revenue. However, I understand that the paying customers do get both the unit and revenue numbers, whereas the public at large is most probably more interested in the former, so I am not sure why we only get the latter.

Well, whichever number we get, it only tells half of the story.

With so much genre bleed these days, doing distinct classifications is far from a perfect science.
I'm curious: is your genre taxonomy public or is it only for your internal use?

Second question: is that classification info used for some practical purpose, or is it just one (semi-artificial) way to dissect the data?

Top Bottom