• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must know why Chris Shitlizzard has a career. I will pay anyone to know.

I liked reading this

1CxVao9.png

Edit: And his obsession with Ivanka is downright creepy

They (Trump supporters) basically want everyone to have a very low bar for Trump. Like, if he goes two days without a fucking crisis of his own doing, he should be considered good. They dont understand that Trump is failing the lowest bar imaginable that you won't set even for someone who flips burgers. Like, no one is even talking about how Trump gave away our secrets to Russians inside the oval office.
I like this notion that if Trump does "good" on anything he's suddenly a great president and you're wrong for disagreeing.

Even if he became super-competent and intelligent tomorrow he still spent an unreasonable length of time as president being a fucking idiot who can't get anything done and what he has gotten done is horrid shit.

But yes Van Jones, one speech and he "becomes" the president. Clinton would have been president Day 1. Fuck this bullshit.

I like this notion that if Trump does "good" on anything he's suddenly a great president and you're wrong for disagreeing.

Even if he became super-competent and intelligent tomorrow he still spent an unreasonable length of time as president being a fucking idiot who can't get anything done and what he has gotten done is horrid shit.

But yes Van Jones, one speech and he "becomes" the president. Clinton would have been president Day 1. Fuck this bullshit.

It reminds me a lot of some of my students, specifically the bad ones. I get a handful every semester who skip class for weeks, don't turn in assignments, etc... but as soon as they study for one exam and get a C, I'm supposed to throw out the rest of their body of "work."

Nah, frat dude, I didn't assign shit to be graded for fun! Same for Trump; the past few months don't go away because he'd like the country to say, "Day 1 starts tomorrow!"

It reminds me a lot of some of my students, specifically the bad ones. I get a handful every semester who skip class for weeks, don't turn in assignments, etc... but as soon as they study for one exam and get a C, I'm supposed to throw out the rest of their body of "work."

Nah, frat dude, I didn't assign shit to be graded for fun! Same for Trump; the past few months don't go away because he'd like the country to say, "Day 1 starts tomorrow!"
:(

Keep in mind "Trump voters" includes nearly every Republican but also a large chunk of independents. The former is the base who eats this shit up, but Trump won on the backs of swing voters who were so desperate for a change they were willing to put Trump in charge (who's always been portrayed by the media as a savvy businessman, so what's the harm?).

People are becoming less and less likely to self-identify as Trump voters as well, shifting who is considered a "Trump Voter" per polls. You're better off identifying based off demographic groups and their previous approval ratings.

Surfinn

It's a tough one, because he will get his veto overridden. So the smart thing to do would be to not Veto to avoid the embarrassment, but Trump isn't smart and wants to project power above all else, but getting overridden by your own parties Congress makes you look super weak.

I think he vetoes, and then he has Sessions press that the law is an unconstitutional limit on executive power.
How else will he blame Hillary?

Sounds like me in my Early US Political Thought class in my last semester. In the second half I may have attended 3-4 classes for a twice-a-week course.

But then I aced the shit out of that final and brought my grade up to a B. The midterm and the final were disproportionately heavier weighted than the daily busy work and I just lost the patience for it.

Zolo

Sounds like me in my Early US Political Thought class in my last semester. In the second half I may have attended 3-4 classes for a twice-a-week course.

But then I aced the shit out of that final and brought my grade up to a B. The midterm and the final were disproportionately heavier weighted than the daily busy work and I just lost the patience for it.

Yeah. I remember certain classes where the grade was weighed in a way that I could basically do crap in one part and good at other parts to get a good grade.

See, that's fine (little secret, I rarely enforce my attendance policy because I think good students get good grades and bad ones get bad grades without me needing to). But I had one dude tell me that he worked hard all semester and so I should count his D on the final so much that it was worth a passing grade in the end.

Another little secret that I don't tell them is that the site they do their homework on tells me whether you ever opened it, and for how long. This dude had like 15 minutes across 3 months of class! Worked hard, my butt.

Yeah. I remember certain classes where the grade was weighed in a way that I could basically do crap in one part and good at other parts to get a good grade.

I had a French class like this. Participation, homework (which you could easily get perfect scores on at home with infinite attempts on the software), and attendance were worth 80% of my grade. I'm shit at learning languages well enough to speak them, but when a 50% average on exams still gets me an A, I can pull it off haha.

wtf, that's absolutely crazy. I'm glad people are protesting in huge numbers.

If US congress pulled some bullshit like that (thankfully repubs don't have the numbers), moderates would be Nana Ruthing anybody who tried to speak up.

Shit, they about lost their damn minds when we had the nerve to criticize John McCain's efforts to rip health care away from millions while he receives gold-plated treatment. "He's a hero, show some respect,
be the bigger person as you lay dying in the streets
!" I could hear the pearls hitting the floor.

Shit, they about lost their damn minds when we had the nerve to criticize John McCain's efforts to rip health care away from millions while he receives gold-plated treatment. "He's a hero, show some respect,
be the bigger person as you lay dying in the streets
!" I could hear the pearls hitting the floor.

The /r/neoliberal subreddit was very unhappy that people dated not to only praise McCain.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Did Sessions ever issue a statement besides "Ah wee-yul not resi-uhn" or are they just going to ride out the WaPo story?
I believe he or a spokesperson provided a simple denial. What else is he going to do?

Pryce

Certain people will still find a way to call them - and us - neoliberal shills.

But isn't this pretty left wing? Government going after monopolies and concentration of corporate power?

I'm not as educated on political platform/party history as many here, but that seems pretty Roosevelt to me.

Directly going after their biggest donors is a pretty bold strategy

But remember, the Democrats are just as bought and paid as the Republicans and both sides are the same and it's all hopeless as we tick on to corporate dystopia.

But isn't this pretty left wing? Government going after monopolies and concentration of corporate power?

I'm not as educated on political platform/party history as many here, but that seems pretty Roosevelt to me.

Haha, like that matters. Hillary was the most liberal candidate we've had in forever and she was a center-right neo-liberal corporate shill.

Yes. My point was that far-lefties have declared Democrats a party of corporate shills and hacks and won't change their tune no matter what.

NeoXChaos

But remember, the Democrats are just as bought and paid as the Republicans and both sides are the same and it's all hopeless as we tick on to corporate dystopia.

Haha, like that matters. Hillary was the most liberal candidate we've had in forever and she was a center-right neo-liberal corporate shill.

Yes. My point was that far-lefties have declared Democrats a party of corporate shills and hacks and won't change their tune no matter what.

we had one of the most infamous quotes come out of the primary last year about that

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192129818&postcount=80

kirblar

The House maps are set up so that pandering to know-nothings pays off.

This is what they're attempting.

(The map being setup so that even a D+2 in the Presidential and D+6 in the Legislature aren't enough to flip it in our favor.)

The House maps are set up so that pandering to know-nothings pays off.

This is what they're attempting.

(The map being setup so that even a D+2 in the Presidential and D+6 in the Legislature aren't enough to flip it in our favor.)

But as you've written before, once they get over a certain hurdle - say, D+7 or 8 - a lot of seats begin to flip because of the nature of gerrymandering.

Maybe they think this will get them over the hurdle.

kirblar

But as you've written before, once they get over a certain hurdle - say, D+7 or 8 - a lot of seats begin to flip because of the nature of gerrymandering.

Maybe they think this will get them over the hurdle.
It's partially the need to pander to these types, partially that these types will flip the fuck out if people mention anything relating to minorities.
This is why people talking a few days back about a military build up as the way to protect Poland from Russia were off the mark. This is how Russia is invading Poland.
Yup. They're already fucked.

The memo says that the "first day" of the Democrats' agenda will focus on corporate power. Maybe the social issues will be later in the week.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The memo says that the "first day" of the Democrats' agenda will focus on corporate power. Maybe the social issues will be later in the week.

It's going to wind up being the 90's all over again, where the Dems just ask the minorities to trust them because they've got their back but can't come out and say it because white people.

kirblar

Arrested Development Narrator: "They weren't"

BLM figured out the game pretty quickly after the election.
It's going to wind up being the 90's all over again, where the Dems just ask the minorities to trust them because they've got their back but can't come out and say it because white people.
Yup.

KingK

Myself and most people I know who didn't like Hillary (but still voted for her) had less of a problem with the stated political platform for democrats in 2016, and more of an issue with the idea that she genuinely believed that platform and would fight for it if it became at all inconvenient. It was a trustworthiness/authenticity problem that I don't think was at all without merit, even if right wing propaganda amplified it tenfold and some people were idiots. People wouldn't have been calling Hillary the "most liberal candidate ever" before 2016 at all. And her own campaign tried to play up her centrism in the stupid attempt at pandering to wealthy, suburban republicans (something I criticized from the start).

And while it may not be entirely fair to Hillary, Bill Clinton being a piece of shit human being whose legacy has aged terribly didn't help. I liked Hillary a hell of a lot more than Bill, but if she's gonna tout him as an asset it's fair to consider.

kirblar

Myself and most people I know who didn't like Hillary (but still voted for her) had less of a problem with the stated political platform for democrats in 2016, and more of an issue with the idea that she genuinely believed that platform and would fight for it if it became at all inconvenient. It was a trustworthiness/authenticity problem that I don't think was at all without merit, even if right wing propaganda amplified it tenfold and some people were idiots. People wouldn't have been calling Hillary the "most liberal candidate ever" before 2016 at all. And her own campaign tried to play up her centrism in the stupid attempt at pandering to wealthy, suburban republicans (something I criticized from the start).

And while it may not be entirely fair to Hillary, Bill Clinton being a piece of shit human being whose legacy has aged terribly didn't help. I liked Hillary a hell of a lot more than Bill, but if she's gonna tout him as an asset it's fair to consider.
The suburban push paid off, but the problem was that they did that without shoring up their weaknesses elsewhere AND abandoning the Obama ground game infrastructure.

They doubled down on Hillary's Strengths/weaknesses, which is the opposite of what you need to do (the 50-state strategy.)

It's not like you need to be visiting Montana, but making sure you're not getting annhiliated and are instead merely losing badly is a good thing.

Then I guess I'll have to find a way to work YAAAAAS QUEEN into every fucking post.

Hillary ran to Obama's left in 2008. She's always been a liberal and always will be. She had one of the most liberal voting records when she was in the senate.

Quite a lot of people were calling her the most liberal candidate ever in pre-2008. The right was scared silly by how liberal she was and were furiously writing articles about just how scary liberal she was.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

This is so weird to me, because as someone who entered the primaries casually pro Bernie and fairly anti Hillary (I know there are receipts on this lurking in this forum) it was precisely a vibe of authenticity that caused me to flip, and flip pretty vehemently (and a corresponding perception of disingenuousness from Bernie)

royalan

But the political arm of blacks and minorities a LOT more organized now than they were in the 90s.

Anybody think BLM and the ladies behind The Woman's March are going to take well to being sidelined?

If this is really the Democratic strategy, unless they put a figurehead up top that can hold these coalitions together it's going to be a fucking disaster.

kirblar

But the political arm of blacks and minorities a LOT more organized now than they were in the minority.

Anybody think BLM and the ladies behind The Woman's March are going to take well to being sidelined.

If this is really the Democratic strategy, unless they put a figurehead up top that can hold these coalitions together it's going to be a fucking disaster.
BLM actively and voluntarily changed tactics in the wake of the election.

But the political arm of blacks and minorities a LOT more organized now than they were in the minority.

Anybody think BLM and the ladies behind The Woman's March are going to take well to being sidelined.

Maybe they've reasoned that straight white people vote more in the midterms and so the midterm message should be catered to them, and they'll return to diverse rainbow coalition social issues in 2020?

I'm struggling to find a way to be optimistic so I don't have to acknowledge that I'll be sidelined over the next few years.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
It's almost as if a lot of people on "the left" wouldn't recognize an actual liberal woman if she bit them on the ass. See also: pelosi derangement syndrome.

KingK

Not that there aren't people like that, but I think you and many in this thread are way too cynical about the left. Democrats can absolutely win back much of the left that has been disappointed in the party or otherwise discouraged from participation. I chastise people IRL for saying they won't vote, or "both sides are the same" kind of shit all the time. And it often works and I can convince them otherwise, but you have to at least be empathetic and understand why they're so disaffected by the system in the first place. I'm taking mostly about people in the under 30 category. And I promise you, we have a better chance of getting these people back into the fold/bringing them in for the first time than we do of winning over upper class suburbanites.

But the political arm of blacks and minorities a LOT more organized now than they were in the 90s.

Anybody think BLM and the ladies behind The Woman's March are going to take well to being sidelined?

I doubt they would sideline women

The marches showed they were a force to be reckoned with. BLM tho? They might get sidelined along with other minorities...

...as a minority tho, if this means Dems get the numbers to win, then fine, its for the greater good to manipulate the messaging.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

That's my point. The far left wants the party to focus more on economic issues, but BLM and such aren't going to take well to having their issues sidelined. If you try and intersect the two then white people (which apparently need to be desperately appealed to) will clutch their pearls because black people.

People spent so much of the last election complaining that they didn't want a rehash of 90's politics that turnout was down and as a result we're seeing the return of a version of 90's politics.

It'd be funny if the whole thing wasn't so stupid.

The Technomancer

Not that there aren't people like that, but I think you and many in this thread are way too cynical about the left. Democrats can absolutely win back much of the left that has been disappointed in the party or otherwise discouraged from participation. I chastise people IRL for saying they won't vote, or "both sides are the same" kind of shit all the time. And it often works and I can convince them otherwise, but you have to at least be empathetic and understand why they're so disaffected by the system in the first place. I'm taking mostly about people in the under 30 category. And I promise you, we have a better chance of getting these people back into the fold/bringing them in for the first time than we do of winning over upper class suburbanites.

I think most of us are at least hopefully realistic about the sorts of coalitions we can build going forward, but I think (in the last few days especially if you run in circles lately) there is exhaustion setting in about the sort of very loud twitter folks who define 95% of the population as neoliberal and anyone who isn't already a DSA member as a centrist sellout

The Technomancer

That's my point. The far left wants the party to focus more on economic issues, but BLM and such aren't going to take well to having their issues sidelined. If you try and intersect the two then white people (which apparently need to be desperately appealed to) will clutch their pearls because black people.

People spent so much of the last election complaining that they didn't want a rehash of 90's politics that turnout was down and as a result we're seeing the return of a version of 90's politics.

It'd be funny if the whole thing wasn't so stupid.

America can make structural economic progress or it can make structural racial progress. The two together seem almost incompatible going back well over a century. The whole thing is very stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom