• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JJ Abrams officially set to direct Star Trek 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardz

UMD46.gif

Dead

well not really...yet
Salvor.Hardin said:
Super 8 was a mistake. He has the potential to move above the summer blockbuster material that he seems to have sworn himself to.
Super 8 was far better than Trek

As long as the script isn't as mind numbingly retarded as the first movies, Ill be looking forward to it

Dead said:
Super 8 was far better than Trek

As long as the script isn't as mind numbingly retarded as the first movies, Ill be looking forward to it

Where the hell have you been, Dead?

Anyway, I also prefer Trek to Super 8. Trek was one of the best popcorn movies in recent years. Super 8 was good, but I didn't have as much fun with it as I did Trek.

rexor0717

Star Trek is one of my favorite movies, watched it many many times. This is good news. I welcome plenty more lens flair.

Amagon

Log4Girlz said:
WOO LENS FLARE THE SEQUEL!

bathala said:
time to bring my sunglasses

i don't want to be blinded by sudden flash of lens flare out of nowhere

Trojita said:
Lens Flare EVERYWHERE

EVERYWHERE

EVERYWHERE

EVERYWHERE

Medalion said:
4246779578_6729c920ff.jpg

The plot of the new movie is that a rogue lense flare is not shining bright enough because incidentally there are some people standing in its way

Veidt said:
the more lens flare, the brighter the future, motherfuckers!

Replicant said:
The only film where lens flare is actually appropriate.
I see that Gaf shares the same sentiments as me. I actually bought the BR yesterday so you'll see my ass on the midnight showing when this one comes out.

Measley said:
Yeah, its like they didn't even watch any of the TNG series.
Did you? Picard's reaction to witnessing an invasion of his home by a species that essentially raped him of his individuality was pretty much in line with the character presented in the series. His reaction was more tamed, but still hostile with Hu, but he wasn't posing a threat to Earth.

FStop7

Banned
Salvor.Hardin said:
Not even the woeful villain? If there's one thing I hope the sequel has is a memorable rogue. And if we're lucky, one with coherent motives as well.

Fire everything.

Measley

Dax01 said:
Did you? Picard's reaction to witnessing an invasion of his home by a species that essentially raped him of his individuality was pretty much in line with the character presented in the series. His reaction was more tamed, but still hostile with Hu, but he wasn't posing a threat to Earth.

The Borg was always a threat to Earth. He had an opportunity to wipe out the entire collective, but he didn't do it because to do so would violate his principles.

That's a far cry from the homicidal maniac he became in First Contact. If he actually believed that the Borg should pay for what they did to him, and what they could potentially do to Earth, he would have killed them all.

Measley

Beowulf28 said:
Picard has never been blood thirsty. The TNG movies threw out show Picard and inserted shitty action hero Picard.

Yeah, it was amazing how Picard always ended up fighting the main bad guy in hand to hand combat at the end of every TNG movie. Even Kirk didn't do that.

MisterHero

Guardian of Forever trilogy bridging TNG and XI canon, and bringing back Shatner

do it Abrahms, dooooo it

Crazy angry Klingons might be fun too

AniHawk said:
finally an excuse to use this

225px-StarTrekXII-title.jpg
Someone could do this about Simpsons now and it wouldn't even be a parody

And Kirk confronted his age issues in Star Trek II

but I still love Classic Simpsons

MisterHero

Beowulf28 said:
Picard has never been blood thirsty. The TNG movies threw out show Picard and inserted shitty action hero Picard.
I like to think his encounter with the Borg caused him to go over the edge. He didn't show it when his abilities were in question after what he was forced to do/being rescued, but the Borg finally reaching Earth brought the fury and desperation out of him.

Though I guess that characterization didn't need to stick around for the other movies. :p

Anticitizen One said:
Summer 2013? Damn they sure are taking there sweet time with this one. It better be near Empire Strikes Back quality if we are waiting that long.

How so? JJ only recently finished the Super 8 circuit.

Outside of the script, its going to be an 18 month turnaround which isn't long at all.

right on

Measley said:
Yeah, it was amazing how Picard always ended up fighting the main bad guy in hand to hand combat at the end of every TNG movie. Even Kirk didn't do that.
Wait, that literally happened in all 4 TNG movies :eek:

Scullibundo said:
How so? JJ only recently finished the Super 8 circuit.

Outside of the script, its going to be an 18 month turnaround which isn't long at all.

I'm going by the fact that Star Trek came out in 2009 and normally hit movies get their sequel within 2-3 years. Pirates of the Caribbean came out 2003 and we got Dead Man's Chest in 2006 same thing with Spider Man (2 years between sequels) and Batman (3 years).

I would imagine they have been working on the story and doing preproduction this whole time so I would expect it to be something special.

Nizz

Just watched the first one again on Netflix the other night. Man, I really enjoyed it. I'm more of a casual Trek fan but JJ did an awesome job with the reboot imo.

I'm definitely ready to see what they have in store for the new one.

Anticitizen One said:
I'm going by the fact that Star Trek came out in 2009 and normally hit movies get their sequel within 2-3 years. Pirates of the Caribbean came out 2003 and we got Dead Man's Chest in 2006 same thing with Spider Man (2 years between sequels) and Batman (3 years).

I would imagine they have been working on the story and doing preproduction this whole time so I would expect it to be something special.

They haven't been doing any pre-production. Orci and Kurtzman had a 60 page treatment that had been sitting around for ages, waiting for JJ to finish with Super 8 so he could sign off on it.

He told them to rewrites and fixes and has only now signed off on it and thus officially attached to direct. There has been no pre-production.

Scullibundo said:
They haven't been doing any pre-production. Orci and Kurtzman had a 60 page treatment that had been sitting around for ages, waiting for JJ to finish with Super 8 so he could sign off on it.

He told them to rewrites and fixes and has only now signed off on it and thus officially attached to direct. There has been no pre-production.

regardless at least they have had plenty of time to think about it and come up with a great story. The previous film was impacted by the writer's strike so hopefully this time it will have a smooth non-rushed production cycle.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Liked it, thought the villain was the weakest part. Spock saved the twist by making it a joke. Looking forward to better, tighter sequel with a proper plot and villain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom